PDA

View Full Version : Gary Matthews Jr. Dealt to Mets

PaleHoser
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Angels eat all but $2M for the two years remaining on his contract.

I'm no fan of Matthews, but getting him well under the league average salary is a good deal for the Muts.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100122&content_id=7953786&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

thedudeabides
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
According to SI.com. The Angels will eat $21 of the $23 million!!!

Heyman (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/01/22/mets.matthews/index.html)

The Angels receive reliever Brian Stokes in return.

The Mets did need a CF until Beltran returns, could be a while. I guess you could do worse for what they are paying, maybe he'll be revived slightly in a new situation.

Knowing the Mets luck of late, he'll get hurt by the end of the spring.

JermaineDye05
01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
And they just gave Joel Pineiro 16 million.

All the respect I have for the Angels is depleting.

dickallen15
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
You know what's even more amazing? Matthews gets a $500k kicker for being traded.

asindc
01-22-2010, 01:28 PM
You know what's even more amazing? Matthews gets a $500k kicker for being traded.

Can you imagine if KW had signed Matthews to that contract? People would be showing up at SoxFest with pitchforks and torches.

khan
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Two thoughts:

1. I'm amazed at how stupid some GMs are. Whoever was dumb enough to sign Matthews, Jr. in the first place with LAAAAAA should be run out of the business. What a clown.

2. I love it when other MLB teams make stupid mistakes to screw up their chances, while mildly aiding our SOX's chances to win.

Foulke You
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Can you imagine if KW had signed Matthews to that contract? People would be showing up at SoxFest with pitchforks and torches.
There were people on this board begging to sign him when he originally was a free agent after his HGH year in Texas. Thank God Kenny doesn't consult WSI for baseball operations decisions. :tongue:

pythons007
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Two thoughts:

1. I'm amazed at how stupid some GMs are. Whoever was dumb enough to sign Matthews, Jr. in the first place with LAAAAAA should be run out of the business. What a clown.

2. I love it when other MLB teams make stupid mistakes to screw up their chances, while mildly aiding our SOX's chances to win.

Actually the Angels GM is probably top 5 in all of baseball.

khan
01-22-2010, 04:32 PM

Mathews, jr was signed to LAAAA before reagins became the GM.

Having said that, reagins is also the guy who overpaid for Hunter, and traded for Jon Garland. [Especially watch what Hunter's contract does to that team in a year or two.] I'm not fully satisfied that he's top-5 yet. He's only been in the job since the end of 2007.

asindc
01-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Mathews, jr was signed to LAAAA before reagins became the GM.

Having said that, reagins is also the guy who overpaid for Hunter, and traded for Jon Garland. [Especially watch what Hunter's contract does to that team in a year or two.] I'm not fully satisfied that he's top-5 yet. He's only been in the job since the end of 2007.

I agree. The only thing Reagins has shown me is that he knows how to spend Moreno's money. Any GM can make up for Matthew's horrendous contract by grossly overpaying for Hunter, if his owner lets him do it.

seventyseven
01-22-2010, 04:56 PM

And you're basing this on what exactly?

Lip Man 1
01-22-2010, 05:05 PM
He traded Cabrera who was considered a clubhouse cancer by his teammates. Seems to me given everything that happened with the Sox and the fact that Cabrera is still unsigned, maybe that wasn't such a bad move after all.

He may have had the attitude "addition by subtraction."

Lip