PDA

View Full Version : Thome to sign with the Twins??

Rockabilly
01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
According to WSCR sources.. it could happen today

LoveYourSuit
01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Isn't Kubel their everyday DH?

russ99
01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Whoa. That would really inflame the "I hate the current Sox DH" masses.

Rockabilly
01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Isn't Kubel their everyday DH?

yes he is. Dan McNeil said about 10 mins ago that according to WSCR sources. Thome could be signing with the Twins as early as today..

Saufley
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
For those that want Thome as DH this year, nice way to open SoxFest.

#1swisher
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
yes he is. Dan McNeil said about 10 mins ago that according to WSCR sources. Thome could be signing with the Twins as early as today..

Just in time for TwinsFest Jan 29th:rolleyes:

01-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Kubels a lefty too so this really doesn't make much sense...all I know is that he wil receive a MUCH better homecoming with us then he did in Cleveland

thomas35forever
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Ah, crap.

cleanwsox
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Not sure of the need there. Surprised they aren't putting that money towards a third baseman or 2nd baseman.. Punto and Harris?? Yikes.

GoGoCrede
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I really can't begrudge him for taking a job, but this ****ing sucks if it's true.

hi im skot
01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
http://negativegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/facepalm.jpg

DumpJerry
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
:thome:
The American League Central has been very good to me.

So I suppose it is a one year deal so the Royals can sign him for 2011...

Pablo_Honey
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
If the Twins do sign Thome, it won't be because they want his bat in the lineup, it will be just to say "**** you!" to Sox fan base. Kubel's their DH and their cleanup is Mauer-Morneau-Kubel, all three of them lefties. Thome has no place there and makes absolutely no sense. It'd suck to see Thome sign with them so he can be their PH.

DumpJerry
01-22-2010, 11:35 AM
If the Twins do sign Thome, it won't be because they want his bat in the lineup, it will be just to say "**** you!" to Sox fan base. All their cleanup hitters are lefties one of them being their DH, Kubel. Thome makes absolutely no sense.
On the other hand, sticking it to another team's fan base makes 100% sense. "The heck with winning, let's make White Sox fans cry nineteen times this season.":rolleyes:

GoGoCrede
01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
If the Twins do sign Thome, it won't be because they want his bat in the lineup, it will be just to say "**** you!" to Sox fan base. Kubel's their DH and their cleanup is Mauer-Morneau-Kubel, all three of them lefties. Thome has no place there and makes absolutely no sense. It'd suck to see Thome sign with them so he can be their PH.

I wouldn't pay that kind of money to Thome just to piss off Sox fans. The Twins winning the division is quite enough to piss us off.

tick53
01-22-2010, 11:37 AM
According to WSCR sources.. it could happen today

I just heard it too.

Danielgosox38

WhiteSox1989
Ugh.

Pablo_Honey
01-22-2010, 11:38 AM
On the other hand, sticking it to another team's fan base makes 100% sense. "The heck with winning, let's make White Sox fans cry nineteen times this season.":rolleyes:

I wouldn't pay that kind of money to Thome just to piss off Sox fans. The Twins winning the division is quite enough to piss us off.
I know, I know. That was more like tongue-in-cheeck but anyways, I just don't see how Twins could make use of Thome besides the pinch hitter role and if it is PH they want him for, Thome should find a different team since he's productive enough to be everyday DH still.

dickallen15
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Maybe they are anticipating their new park plays to lefty hitters. Stacking the line up with lefties isn't too bad an idea considering most pitchers are right handed.

Noneck
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
This makes no sense for both the Twins and Thome. The Twins blow a roster slot for a Smoky Burgess and Thome wants to hang around for that? At least Smoky got more AB's playing before the DH. This all doesn't make any sense so I'm calling BS on this rumor.

dickallen15
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
He probably was holding out hope the Sox would sign him, but after Ozzie spoke yesterday realized it wasn't going to happen, or at least Ozzie really didn't want it to happen.

#1swisher
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
He probably was holding out hope the Sox would sign him, but after Ozzie spoke yesterday realized it wasn't going to happen, or at least Ozzie really didn't want it to happen.

This.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/guillen-doesnt-envision-thome-in-plans.html

Gammons Peter
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I really can't begrudge him for taking a job, but this ****ing sucks if it's true.

WHY? I love it. Let him clog up their basepaths, strike out a ton and take AB's away from Kubel.

GoGoCrede
01-22-2010, 11:47 AM
WHY? I love it. Let him clog up their basepaths, strike out a ton and take AB's away from Kubel.

There's just something sad about one of my former Sox favorites in a Twins uniform (see Crede, Joe).

Danielgosox38
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Ozzie is delusional. LOL@ Ozzie. Thome> Ozzie's stupid rotating DH.

spawn
01-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't believe this for a minute. Why would the Twins do this? It makes absolutely no sense.

twsoxfan5
01-22-2010, 12:02 PM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/20584/thumbs/s-SEAN-AVERY-large.jpg

The Twins can keep enjoying our sloppy seconds.

DonnieDarko
01-22-2010, 12:02 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with a rotating DH, as long as you have the players for it...

...which the Sox currently lack.

JermaineDye05
01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Good for Jim. I wish him nothing but the best.

Please, Sox fans....

I beg of you

Show Jim a much warmer welcome than those 'fans' in Cleveland showed him. He was nothing but class since the day he got here. If I'm lucky enough to be at the Cell when he makes his return, I'll be sure to be on my feet and applaud him for the years he gave us. I'm upset we couldn't win it all again in 2006, that was the best shot he had with us.

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Can't fault a guy for taking a job if he wants to keep playing. He left the door open for a Sox reunion all winter.

At least we will have the best defensive DHs in all of baseball.

Gammons Peter
01-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Please, Sox fans....

I beg of you

Show Jim a much warmer welcome than those 'fans' in Cleveland showed him. He was nothing but class since the day he got here. If I'm lucky enough to be at the Cell when he makes his return, I'll be sure to be on my feet and applaud him for the years he gave us. I'm upset we couldn't win it all again in 2006, that was the best shot he had with us.

I will definitely give him a standing O. I do appreciate what he has done in his career and with the White Sox.....but, I am glad he is no longer with the team. Let the Twinks get four hits in a row to score him from first base.

asindc
01-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Well, I will wait until this rumor is substantiated before commenting on its merits.

munchman33
01-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Please, Sox fans....

I beg of you

Frank left on the worst of terms and was still cheered here; I doubt Sox fans wouldn't show Jim the same courtesy.

TheOldRoman
01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Frank left on the worst of terms and was still cheered here; I doubt Sox fans wouldn't show Jim the same courtesy.Thome didn't do 1/1000 of what Frank did for this franchise. I am not saying I would boo Thome (I wouldn't), but that is apples and oranges.

Oh, I will add that I think it is BS, also. Unless the Twins are trading Cuddyer or Young, there is nowhere for him to play.

SephClone89
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
There are very few, if any, former Sox I would boo on their return to the Cell.

Bobby Thigpen
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't really get this line of thinking. I mean I like Jim Thome as much as the next guy, but if you project out Jones' stats alone over an entire season, overall they're comparable to Jim's with a whole heck of a lot more flexibility in your roster.

Bobby Thigpen
There are very few, if any, former Sox I would boo on their return to the Cell.
Jose Paniagua.

dickallen15
I don't really get this line of thinking. I mean I like Jim Thome as much as the next guy, but if you project out Jones' stats alone over an entire season, overall they're comparable to Jim's with a whole heck of a lot more flexibility in your roster.

Have you been paying much attention to Jones the past few years?

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Splice this out, please. I have a few questions. 1. If we are projecting Jones' statistics to a full season, will you please do the same for Thome? 2. How are they comparable?

Bobby Thigpen
01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes. He only hit 6 fewer HRs and 30ish less RBIs than Thome in 30 fewer games last year.

Frontman
01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Frank left on the worst of terms and was still cheered here; I doubt Sox fans wouldn't show Jim the same courtesy.

Frank left on the worst of terms with KENNY, not the fans.

For one, I'll believe it when I see an actual report on the Twins site; and second, if Thome does sign elsewhere in the division?

He'll get nothing but love from me and my family. It's totally classless how the Indians fans treat him, and there is not a single former Sox player that I would boo like they boo Thome.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes. He only hit 6 fewer HRs and 30ish less RBIs than Thome in 30 fewer games last year.
How about his slash statistics? Does his BABIP indicate he may have been lucky? What about his splits -- was there a significant downturn in the second half? What about three-year splits? Should we trust Andruw?

No.

Bobby Thigpen
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
What about his splits against righties in a dome in months that end in l when...

Look, he's a DH. You want the guy to hit the ball, hit it far, and get guys on base in. All the gloom and doom that with this offseason's activities we've traded Jim Thome's bat for Joey Cora's are a little over the edge, even for WSI. I'm just saying that if Jones stays healthy, which there is a greater chance of it happening with him playing a lot of DH) then his stats are at least comparable to Thome's in the major categories. He may not have equal stats in BA or RBIs, but they're comparable. Probably will have a greater chance to score more with what I would figure is a little more speed than Jim. All in a guy who can play the field every now and then.

I just think with all of that added together, without assuming he may actually be motivated and ready to "come back", you have a comparable swap. Should you "trust" him? No. But I think there's very few players you can "trust" on the Sox. That's a bit of an odd word to use.

Foulke You
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't believe this for a minute. Why would the Twins do this? It makes absolutely no sense.
They *could* be working a trade involving Kubel to shore up another weakness on their team. Thome slides into the DH spot replacing Kubel. This could be one of those signings that leads to another move for the Twinkees. I don't see Jim being a pinch hitter on an AL team.

Nellie_Fox
01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
They *could* be working a trade involving Kubel to shore up another weakness on their team. Thome slides into the DH spot replacing Kubel. This could be one of those signings that leads to another move for the Twinkees. I don't see Jim being a pinch hitter on an AL team.
I don't see Thome wanting to be just a bench guy anywhere. He's shooting for 600 homers, and that will never come by pinch hitting. I also don't see him as a good fit for the Twins; they're already left-handed in the middle of the lineup, and I think they'd have to be promising him that he'd be the everyday DH at least against righties, which would leave Kubel with very reduced at-bats, and trading Kubel to make Thome the full-time DH would be getting rid of a needed right-hand power bat.

I talked about this with Twins fans at lunch today, and none of them thought it made sense.

FarmerAndy
01-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Based on the last couple of years, it would be silly to suggest that Thome isn't the better hitter. Jones power projected over as many at-bats might be comparable, but his OBP isn't. (Thome is way less likely to make an out when he goes up to the plate, which is very important and somehow an under-rated quality with some people.)

However, there is some legitimacy in those who favor Jones. He does give the roster WAY more flexibility.

*While he's not the gold glove defender he used to be, he did play some games in RF, LF, and at 1B last year. Thome played one game at 1B in 2007, and that's the last time he put on a glove. (He only did it 3 times in '06).

*Jones was 5 out of 6 in stolen bases last year. Not a huge total, but he didn't play much either. Thome has stolen 3 bases in 13 attempts over the last decade. Point being - Jones can run, Thome can't.

* Age. As much as it sucks, it's a fact of life. And at 39, one should only expect Thome's numbers to decline. Jones is no spring chicken either. But given his abilities in the past, I think a comeback season at 33 is probably more likely than at 39. (That's not to say you should expect a Jones comeback, I'm just saying the odds are better at 33.)

I'd much rather have an option at DH that was neither of these guys. And of the two, I like Thome better. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's crazy that some people prefer to just give Jones a shot. It's not that ridiculous.

FarmerAndy
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
As far as the original thread topic.......

Usually MLB Trade Rumors is all over this kind of thing, and I haven't seen a word of it on there. That coupled with the fact that it just doesn't make sense, I just don't see it happening.

soxfanreggie
01-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Not sure of the need there. Surprised they aren't putting that money towards a third baseman or 2nd baseman.. Punto and Harris?? Yikes.

They might be able to get him real cheap if he just wants to keep playing. Ozzie says he'll be able to do a lot without a regular DH, and if this signing occurs, the Twins will likely use him as a regular DH. We'll see what works better this next year.

spawn
01-22-2010, 02:08 PM
And why would they trade a 28 year old DH coming of the most productive season of his young career, to make room for an aging slugger on the downside of his career?

spawn
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't see Thome wanting to be just a bench guy anywhere. He's shooting for 600 homers, and that will never come by pinch hitting. I also don't see him as a good fit for the Twins; they're already left-handed in the middle of the lineup, and I think they'd have to be promising him that he'd be the everyday DH at least against righties, which would leave Kubel with very reduced at-bats, and trading Kubel to make Thome the full-time DH would be getting rid of a needed right-hand power bat.

Kubel is a left-handed batter.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Based on the last couple of years, it would be silly to suggest that Thome isn't the better hitter. Jones power projected over as many at-bats might be comparable, but his OBP isn't. (Thome is way less likely to make an out when he goes up to the plate, which is very important and somehow an under-rated quality with some people.)

However, there is some legitimacy in those who favor Jones. He does give the roster WAY more flexibility.

*While he's not the gold glove defender he used to be, he did play some games in RF, LF, and at 1B last year. Thome played one game at 1B in 2007, and that's the last time he put on a glove. (He only did it 3 times in '06).

*Jones was 5 out of 6 in stolen bases last year. Not a huge total, but he didn't play much either. Thome has stolen 3 bases in 13 attempts over the last decade. Point being - Jones can run, Thome can't.

* Age. As much as it sucks, it's a fact of life. And at 39, one should only expect Thome's numbers to decline. Jones is no spring chicken either. But given his abilities in the past, I think a comeback season at 33 is probably more likely than at 39. (That's not to say you should expect a Jones comeback, I'm just saying the odds are better at 33.)

I'd much rather have an option at DH that was neither of these guys. And of the two, I like Thome better. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's crazy that some people prefer to just give Jones a shot. It's not that ridiculous.

WELL SAID......all valid points. I'll never understand the "we need a pure DH who is preferably left handed" mentality around here. Very few teams have a pure DH anymore.

Our offense struggled mightily with too many base-cloggers who weren't versatile enough. Now that we know that's not the way we should go, let's at least try the more versatile lineup and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, we could always pick someone up in a trade before the trade-deadline.

No worries....I like the approach we're going for in 2010. Pitching and defense......lets get away from the base clogging, no defense, "out-slug the other team softball-style" we've had the last couple of years.

oeo
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with a rotating DH, as long as you have the players for it...

Exactly. The rotating DH isn't a bad idea, it's just that we're kind of a man short right now. I love the fact that we can pull Pierre, Quentin, and Paulie out of the field for breaks. We could really use another bat so Kotsay or Jones are not starting everyday.

As for Thome/Twins, I don't really see how this makes sense for either side. I'll believe it when I see it, and I don't think we'll see it. Sounds like his agent may be trying to squeak some more money through the door of another team (Tigers maybe?).

Thome25
01-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Exactly. The rotating DH isn't a bad idea, it's just the guys that are currently rotating.

I don't really see how this makes sense for either side. I'll believe it when I see it, and I don't think we'll see it.

How could anyone say we lack the players for a rotating DH? The players in rotation would be Konerko-Quentin-Jones-Kotsay-Vizquel. (Not necessarily in that order.)

What are we expecting here? 5 all-stars in the DH rotation? Konerko and Quentin are more than fine at DH, Jones still has some pop, and Kotsay and Vizquel are experienced veteran hitters....IMO we couldn't ask for more in a DH rotation.

FarmerAndy
01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
I'll never understand the "we need a pure DH who is preferably left handed" mentality around here.

To me, a "pure DH" simply means a player who can't play the field at all. I don't know how that is a plus.

I do understand the concept of wanting a full-time DH who is an absolute masher (Somewhere between .380 and .400 in .OBP with lots of power. A guy like Adam Dunn, for example.) But if you don't have the option of an elite hitter like that, then I'd prefer a guy who at least gives your roster more options. If you can only DH, you'd better put up monster numbers.

oeo
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
How could anyone say we lack the players for a rotating DH? The players in rotation would be Konerko-Quentin-Jones-Kotsay-Vizquel. (Not necessarily in that order.)

What are we expecting here? 5 all-stars in the DH rotation? Konerko and Quentin are more than fine at DH, Jones still has some pop, and Kotsay and Vizquel are experienced veteran hitters....IMO we couldn't ask for more in a DH rotation.

The way the roster currently stands, Kotsay or Jones are going to be starting everyday. Whether that's in the field or DH'ing, they will be in the lineup. That's going to end up as a black hole. We need another bat.

dickallen15
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
The way the roster currently stands, Kotsay or Jones are going to be starting everyday. Whether that's in the field or DH'ing, they will be in the lineup. That's going to end up as a black hole. We need another bat.

Exactly. Plus those 2 get hurt pretty often when they hardly play. Chances are they and Quentin or at least one or two of them go down for a long time in 2010. Kotsay and Jones should be back ups. Bring in a guy who can hit.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
To me, a "pure DH" simply means a player who can't play the field at all. I don't know how that is a plus.

I do understand the concept of wanting a full-time DH who is an absolute masher (Somewhere between .380 and .400 in .OBP with lots of power.) But if you don't have the option of an elite hitter like that, then I'd prefer a guy who at least gives your roster more options. If you can only DH, you'd better put up monster numbers.

Exactly, and while I love Thome, (I didn't pick this screen name for nothin') I think we're better off without him.

We don't need a statue who can't play the field anymore who is stuck in the DH slot day-in and day-out.

And Thome especially at 39, doesn't put up those monster numbers which you are referring to anymore.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM

I think we should reserve judgment on Jones until we see what he can actually do. If he comes in in-shape, hungry, hitting well, and playing for probably the last big contract of his career. (which many feel like he can do.) Then, he will be a huge asset for us.

If he comes back for another year of fat, lazy Andruw Jones then he will get released and we will be looking to trade for someone.

FarmerAndy
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM

I see your over-all point, but Vizquel does not belong in that rotation. The reason that guy still has a job at his age is because he is still a flawless defender. If he ever goes into the game as a DH, then Ozzie should be fired on the spot.

If you want give Omar a start on a particular day, then put him on the infield. You can rest or DH one of your starting infielders that day, as they are all inferior to Omar with the glove.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I see your over-all point, but Vizquel does not belong in that rotation. The reason that guy still has a job at his age is because he is still a flawless defender. If he ever goes into the game as a DH, then Ozzie should be fired on the spot.

If you want give Omar a start on a particular day, then put him on the infield. You can rest or DH one of your starting infielders that day, as they are all inferior to Omar with the glove.

I see your point and if Vizquel is in the field then either Alexei, Teahen, or even Beckham is possibly the DH.......what is so wrong with that? We have plenty of options at DH....and no need to want for a pure DH like Thome.

oeo
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Exactly. Plus those 2 get hurt pretty often when they hardly play. Chances are they and Quentin or at least one or two of them go down for a long time in 2010. Kotsay and Jones should be back ups. Bring in a guy who can hit.

The Andruw Jones signing is a complete head scratcher. He doesn't really fit a need on this team other than some pop off the bench and is pretty much wasting a roster spot that could be used on a better player. What are we going to do if/when this doesn't work out, acquire someone else and drop Nix?

oeo
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I think we should reserve judgment on Jones until we see what he can actually do. If he comes in in-shape, hungry, hitting well, and playing for probably the last big contract of his career. (which many feel like he can do.) Then, he will be a huge asset for us.

If he comes back for another year of fat, lazy Andruw Jones then he will get released and we will be looking to trade for someone.

The guy is toast and was likely a roider. Why else would his career fall off the cliff in the middle of his prime? You think it's because he's fat?

dickallen15
01-22-2010, 02:44 PM

Jones played for a contract in ATL and hit .220. He played for a contract last season and hit lower than that. Don't expect much. He's most likely done. In fact, one criticism Ron Washington received last year was exposing him too much. He hardly played, but critics said he played too much. There's a reason why he signed for 50% less guaranteed than Brian Anderson, and its not because he's primed to get back to his old self.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
The guy is toast and was likely a roider. Why else would his career fall off the cliff in the middle of his prime? You think it's because he's fat?

You may be right....I don't disagree all of the signs point towards him being a former steroids user.

Bottom line is, he is a Chicago White Sox and we are looking for him to contribute.

My point was, he may contribute or he may not.....either way you can bet that KW will go out and get someone if the Jones experiment falters.

I like having the DH spot open like this.....it leaves us as a more versatile club. We DON'T need another statue who can't play the field at least once in a while.

We are open for so much more this way.....Vizquel could play the field while Teahen, Alexei or even Beckham DH once in a while. Quentin could benefit from being a DH........maybe it could help him rest a little more and stop so many injury issues.

Jones played for a contract in ATL and hit .220. He played for a contract last season and hit lower than that. Don't expect much. He's most likely done. In fact, one criticism Ron Washington received last year was exposing him too much. He hardly played, but critics said he played too much. There's a reason why he signed for 50% less guaranteed than Brian Anderson, and its not because he's primed to get back to his old self.

You're probably right....see above^^^^

Jurr
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I actually love the idea of Minnesota having less speed and more predictability on offense. I'll take the occasional solo homer from Thome. More routinely we'll see runners on first and second get stranded due to a ground ball into the shift.

oeo
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I like having the DH spot open like this.....it leaves us as amore versatile club. We need another staue who can't play the field at least once in a while.

I agree, and I've said as much. People that say the rotating DH is a bad idea are confused or just plain wrong. It's going to give Paulie and Quentin much needed days off from the field, which could do a lot to keep them healthy all year.

However, as I mentioned earlier, we're still missing a bat. I don't think we need a full time DH, we just need a bat who can play some outfield. Kotsay and Jones are being put into that mold right now and, quite frankly, I think it's going to expose them as weaknesses when they could be strengths on the bench.

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
However, as I mentioned earlier, we're still missing a bat. I don't think we need a full time DH, we just need a bat who can play some outfield. Kotsay and Jones are being put into that mold right now and, quite frankly, I think it's going to expose them as weaknesses when they could be strengths on the bench.

Yes. I have no problem with a rotating DH in theory if the players rotating through the spot are good. Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel do not qualify. They are good bench players, nothing more.

oeo
01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes. I have no problem with a rotating DH in theory if the players rotating through the spot are good. Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel do not qualify. They are good bench players, nothing more.

Yup, but let's make it clear that those three would not be the only ones DH'ing. It seems like the idea around here has become that those three will be rotating at DH and that's that. I think those people have tunnel vision. The DH would likely be someone who needs a day off, or someone that's not completely healthy to play the field (maybe Teahen, Beckham, or Alexei have something tweaked...you put Vizquel in their position and DH the starter; maybe Quentin has his foot problem flare up again...you put Jones/Kotsay in RF and DH Quentin). It beats the hell out of completely yanking the guy out of the lineup so Thome can play. And not only that, it keeps guys fresh without having a Sunday lineup.

The fact that Kotsay or Jones will likely be starting everyday is the problem.

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Twins interest in Thome is real.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/82410307.html?elr=KArksDyycyUUUU

FarmerAndy
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM

I can see that. My overall point was that Thome probably isn't the best idea for this club anymore. A Rotation of Quentin - Konerko - ? would be fine. But Thome can only DH, so he would take up that spot every day.

Guys like Kotsay and Jones are good on the bench because they can play the field for guys like Quentin and Konerko on days that they DH.

We could use another bat. But it needs to be a REALLY GOOD one, and preferably one that can do more than just DH. But I don't think we need to run out and just get a "name" for the sake of it. And we definately don't need to bring back Thome. No disrespect to Jim. I love the guy. But the way this team is currently set up, I don't think we can afford to have a guy that can only DH on the roster. (Unless, of course, it was an Adam Dunn caliber hitter.)

Thome25
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM

In a rotating DH scenario, you can't have 5 all-stars rotating in and out of the DH-slot. By default, some of the players in this scenario will have to to be bench players too.

Kotsay and Vizquel are above average bench players and right now, Jones could go either way.

Having Konerko and Quentin DH quite a bit would be beneficial injury-wise. Playing Vizquel in the field once or twice a week would be good for our pitching staff and would also expand the DH Rotation to Konerko-Quentin-Jones-Kotsay-Vizquel-Teahen-Alexei-Beckham.

Also, who's to say Pierre couldn't DH once in a while and have someone like Kotsay or Jones spell him?

Either way, our situation isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.:D:

asindc
01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Twins interest in Thome is real.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/82410307.html?elr=KArksDyycyUUUU

Well, they want him to pinch hit. It is difficult to believe no other team has offered that role to him before now. I am guessing that as time draws near, Thome might be more open minded to the suggestion. I still don't think the Twinkees are the best fit, even from a PH standpoint. If Thome does not sign with the Sox, I would like to see him DH full time with some other team.

Dibbs
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree, and I've said as much. People that say the rotating DH is a bad idea are confused or just plain wrong. It's going to give Paulie and Quentin much needed days off from the field, which could do a lot to keep them healthy all year.

You are confused or just plain wrong. Nobody is saying a rotating DH is a horrible idea. A rotating DH is OK only if the players rotating are MLB starter quality players. Jones, Kotsay and Vizquel are not. I would say two of them shouldn't even make the team let alone play on a consistent basis.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
For ****'s sake, no one is asking for five all-stars. We're just asking that the current DH combo be bolstered somehow. Kotsay and Jones suck as everyday players -- that is indisputable, at this point.

Someone please explain to me how Thome's inability to play the field has hurt the Sox to this point. Please. Someone. I'm guessing Kotsay's and Jones' respective inability to hit the ball will bite the Sox in the ass much, much harder.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Either way, our situation isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.:D:
Compare our offense to others' around the league. Then get back to me.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Also, the absence of offense, and the absence of power from said offense, does not mean a ballclub is more versatile.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Compare our offense to others' around the league. Then get back to me.

I don't care what our offense looks like compared to others, as long as we pitch and put some leather on the ball we'll be fine. We'll win alot of 1-0, 2-1 ballgames ala 2005.

You can't have it both ways, either the offense is going to look like it does right now, or we're going to have the station-to-station, softball-style offense that so many people have complained about the last 4 seasons.

DirtySox
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
You can't have it both ways, either the offense is going to look like it does right now, or we're going to have the station-to-station, softball-style offense that so many people have complained about the last 4 seasons.

Bull. You can have a nice balance between the two. This team lacks a solid slugging "base clogger." Adding one does not change us from one extreme to the other.

spawn
01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
The Phillies offense is pretty loaded without having station-to-station base cloggers.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't care what our offense looks like compared to others, as long as we pitch and put some leather on the ball we'll be fine. We'll win alot of 1-0, 2-1 ballgames ala 2005.

1. I care about the quality of our offense.
2. Our defense kinda sucks.
3. Our pitching is good -- but counting on your pitching, and only your pitching, to carry you to a pennant is pretty stupid.
4. 1-0, 2-1 ballgames aren't really something to hang your hat on. Baseball is a crazy, complex game, and counting on winning a ton of one-run games is like counting on Esteban Loaiza to be your ace in February of 2003.
5. Here's what I want: a good offense. Do you really think that by having Kotsay and Jones producing outs at a staggering rate will be better because they aren't slow? Thome is a fantastic baserunner, regardless of what you and others think. The guy is as smart as AJ on the basepaths and is very, very savvy out there.
6. People who complained the last 4 seasons about Jim Thome as though he was the to blame for this team's failure aren't very credible.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:28 PM
The Phillies offense is pretty loaded without having station-to-station base cloggers.
It seems that power is a bad thing to some people, and that you can either have a lot of it or none of it.

I just want a high OBP guy. I'm all for Johnny Damon as this team's DH, and a Damon-Konerko-Quentin-Jones rotation at DH would make perfect sense.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Also, the absence of offense, and the absence of power from said offense, does not mean a ballclub is more versatile.

We have plenty of players who can hit for power. Konerko, Beckham, Teahen, Pierzynski, Alexei, and Rios (if he can get back on track) can all hit at least double-digit homers.

Will a player like a 39-year old Thome make that much of a difference? We now went from a mashing ballclub to a pitching and hopefully defense-first ballclub.

What's so wrong with that? We'll see alot of 1-0, 2-1, 3-1 ballgames......and with our pitching, alot of those are gonna go our way.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
We have plenty of players who can hit for power. Konerko, Beckham, Teahen, Pierzynski, Alexei, and Rios (if he can get back on track) can all hit at least double-digit homers.

Will a player like a 39-year old Thome make that much of a difference? We now went from a mashing ballclub to a pitching and hopefully defense-first ballclub.

What's so wrong with that? We'll see alot of 1-0, 2-1, 3-1 ballgames......and with our pitching, alot of those are gonna go our way.
Again, I don't care so much about power as good hitters. This team has a dearth of them, and the ones that are good aren't guarantees (Beckham could have his poor mechanics catch up with him, Quentin could get hurt, etc.).

And will Thome make a difference? On an offense whose biggest weakness is OBP? Hell yes.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Bull. You can have a nice balance between the two. This team lacks a solid slugging "base clogger." Adding one does not change us from one extreme to the other.

SEE Konerko, Paul.....I don't think we need more of those types.....Now if you said we were after a 5-tool type of guy who could hit and run then I'd say "HELL YEAH".....go get him......But that type of player wouldn't DH anyway.

Thome25
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM

IMO they are the exception not the norm.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:32 PM
They are also one of the top three teams in baseball. I don't think modeling a team after them would be a bad thing.

Tell me what's wrong with their offensive approach, specifically, citing numbers rather than platitudes, please.

thedudeabides
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Again, I don't care so much about power as good hitters. This team has a dearth of them, and the ones that are good aren't guarantees (Beckham could have his poor mechanics catch up with him, Quentin could get hurt, etc.).

And will Thome make a difference? On an offense whose biggest weakness is OBP? Hell yes.

Can you elaborate on his poor mechanics.

Craig Grebeck
SEE Konerko,Paul.....I don't think we need more of those types.....Now if you said we were after a 5-tool type of guy who could hit and run then I'd say "HELL YEAH".....go get him......But a that type of player wouldn't DH anyway.
Paul Konerko is a good hitter. I want more good hitters.

Craig Grebeck
Can you elaborate on his poor mechanics.
There were worries about a hitch in his swing when he first got in the league (and was first drafted). He leveled out for a while, and I don't think he's going to regress, but I also don't think we should count on him to anchor the offense.

spawn
01-22-2010, 03:35 PM
The Twins have a pretty well-rounded offense without having station-to-station base cloggers. of course, we'll see how good they are when they're playing outdoors, but I have a feeling there won't be much of a drop off.

dickallen15
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
There were worries about a hitch in his swing when he first got in the league (and was first drafted). He leveled out for a while, and I don't think he's going to regress, but I also don't think we should count on him to anchor the offense.

Actually, he changed his swing a bit to add a sort of hitch as a timing mechanism and many of the scouts who thought he would bust changed their minds when they saw him in the 2008 AZ fall league. He's a star in the making.

thedudeabides
01-22-2010, 03:38 PM

I haven't heard anybody that carries those worries anymore. His swing is compact, covers all sides of the plate, and is very quick through the zone.

Unless his swing changes, mechanics are absolutely not a problem with him.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Actually, he changed his swing a bit to add a sort of hitch as a timing mechanism and many of the scouts who thought he would bust changed their minds when they saw him in the 2008 AZ fall league. He's a star in the making.
Absolutely. I'm glad you posted this. I honestly think Beckham has perennial all-star, HOF ceiling potential. He's a great player. I just think there will be bumps in the road, especially in the second year. He might not be ready to be the anchor.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
I haven't heard anybody that carries those worries anymore. His swing is compact, covers all sides of the plate, and is very quick through the zone.

Unless his swing changes, mechanics are absolutely not a problem with him.
Exactly. I was just saying that he's not a slam dunk, and there've been concerns in the past. I think he'll be fine, just with more bumps than many anticipate.

thedudeabides
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Absolutely. I'm glad you posted this. I honestly think Beckham has perennial all-star, HOF ceiling potential. He's a great player. I just think there will be bumps in the road, especially in the second year. He might not be ready to be the anchor.

I agree with you there. The sophomore year can be the most difficult for a lot of young players. I think he's mentally strong enough, but I would prefer if the lineup was deeper, so they wouldn't rely so much on him. That's why I think Quentin's health is the most paramount concern for this offense this season, and that's a bit of a risky proposition.

oeo
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
You are confused or just plain wrong. Nobody is saying a rotating DH is a horrible idea. A rotating DH is OK only if the players rotating are MLB starter quality players. Jones, Kotsay and Vizquel are not. I would say two of them shouldn't even make the team let alone play on a consistent basis.

Maybe I am confused, but only because of all the, 'Ozzie's rotating DH plan is terrible' posts. There's a difference between stating the idea is terrible and how you go about executing that idea.

gobears1987
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Let the Twins sign Thome. I really like Jim Thome as a person, but he just isn't useful anymore. He plays a position where his one job is to take 4 at bats per game. His body is breaking down to thepoint he couldn't play THAT position more than 5 times a week last year and often had to sit. I love Jim thome, thank him for his contributions, and will celebrate his induction in Cooperstown sometime later on in the decade. However, signing him would be a mistake. Besides, the full time DH has hampered the Sox roster at time.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Let the Twins sign Thome. I really like Jim Thome as a person, but he just isn't useful anymore. He plays a position where his one job is to take 4 at bats per game. His body is breaking down to thepoint he couldn't play THAT position more than 5 times a week last year and often had to sit. I love Jim thome, thank him for his contributions, and will celebrate his induction in Cooperstown sometime later on in the decade. However, signing him would be a mistake. Besides, the full time DH has hampered the Sox roster at time.
[citation needed]

I see this said a lot, and I think it's bunk. Nine interleague games a year is not justification for Kotsay/Jones.

Lip Man 1
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Just saw a blurb at the Tribune that said Minnesota has confirmed interest in Jim but it appears they are going to wait and see what happens:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/twins-confirm-interest-in-signing-jim-thome.html

Just FYI.

Lip

Rdy2PlayBall
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Man I really hope not. They don't need a DH... AT ALL. We do.

Baron
01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Man I really hope not. They don't need a DH... AT ALL. We do.

Ya they really dont but they are going to wait for the prices to go down it seems.Hopefully we can get him back here before they make a move. Now rotating DH is not a bad idea at all but with those 3 guys.......Ill take Thome.

hawkjt
01-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I swore I was done with Big Jim last year...we need .300 hitters...but, I admit I am nervous about not having more power in that power hitters park. If Carlos,Alex,PK and Teahen come thru..fine,but what if they do not?

I hope Kenny can find a younger, higher average hitter instead,but if not..Jim might be ok...I guess.

VMSNS
01-22-2010, 04:46 PM
I'd be surprised if we don't sign a DH before the trade deadline. Kenny isn't an idiot. There was an article that I read a few weeks ago that stated that Kenny wants a DH and was looking. Ozzie said that he'd be fine if Kenny got them one, but it isn't totally necessary.

I bet Ozzie goes with a DH system of Konerko (Kotsay plays 1b on those days), Quentin, and Jones (shift the outfield around on those days). I think Ozzie's talk about the "Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel" rotating DH is just a smokescreen, or just Ozzie being Ozzie.

As for Thome; it would be painful to watch him play in a Twins uniform.

Mohoney
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
The Twins have a pretty well-rounded offense without having station-to-station base cloggers. of course, we'll see how good they are when they're playing outdoors, but I have a feeling there won't be much of a drop off.
The Phillies have 3 MVP-caliber players in their lineup, and the Twins have 2 (although one of them didn't look like it last season). IMO, we only have 1 guy on our roster that is capable of having a monster, MVP-caliber season, and that's Quentin.

TheVulture
01-23-2010, 03:39 PM

The same can be said with Kotsay in the OF - he's better with the glove than Pierre and Quentin, so why would you DH him? Personally, as the roster stands now, it seems like Quentin should be getting the bulk of starts at DH.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-23-2010, 03:39 PM
As much as I like Thome and would like to see him make a run at 600 in a Sox uniform, I think he might be the wrong move to make regarding the new look this team has. We need a slightly more athletic DH, not an aging base clogger. Tough call.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
The same can be said with Kotsay in the OF - he's better with the glove than Pierre and Quentin, so why would you DH him? Personally, as the roster stands now, it seems like Quentin should be getting the bulk of starts at DH.Seriously? A lot of you underestimate Quentin's defensive skills GREATLY because of his injury last year. To be honest, I'd rather have Quentin in RF than Kotsay. You honestly want us to write Quentin in as a DH the rest of his career? He's not injured any more, keep him away from DH until he can't walk like Thome. If you can remember... he played LF in the All-Star game, not DH or PH.

Quentin really needs another 2008-type season, because people basically treat it like we have a 38 year old Quentin before hes even 28.

I'm not attacking you or anything, this is just my response to all the posts about Quentin being a DH.

chunk
01-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Base clogger is such a silly phrase. What matters is that he gets on base.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Base clogger is such a silly phrase. What matters is that he gets on base.A lot too... :cool:

asindc
01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Seriously? A lot of you underestimate Quentin's defensive skills GREATLY because of his injury last year. To be honest, I'd rather have Quentin in RF than Kotsay. You honestly want us to write Quentin in as a DH the rest of his career? He's not injured any more, keep him away from DH until he can't walk like Thome. If you can remember... he played LF in the All-Star game, not DH or PH.

Quentin really needs another 2008-type season, because people basically treat it like we have a 38 year old Quentin before hes even 28.

I'm not attacking you or anything, this is just my response to all the posts about Quentin being a DH.

Needed to be said. Thank you.

asindc
01-23-2010, 03:55 PM

It also matters that he can score once he gets on base, something that has been an issue with the middle of our lineup the past three seasons.

TheVulture
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Seriously? A lot of you underestimate Quentin's defensive skills GREATLY because of his injury last year. To be honest, I'd rather have Quentin in RF than Kotsay. You honestly want us to write Quentin in as a DH the rest of his career? He's not injured any more, keep him away from DH until he can't walk like Thome. If you can remember... he played LF in the All-Star game, not DH or PH.

I didn't think Quentin was very good in LF in 2008 either. Meanwhile, Kotsay is well above average in the corners and is passable in CF. Would you even consider starting Q a single game in CF? As it stands KW and Ozzie believe Kotsay is good enough to make a few starts at CF, because I doubt they expect Rios to start 162 games. That would be unthinkable with Quentin, obviously Kotsay is the superior defender. I'm not saying Kotsay should be starting 150 games, but if they are both in the lineup why not go with the best defense and put Quentin at DH? The only argument not to is because he's too young to DH, not because it gives the Sox the best defense. I'd rather go with the best defense for the Sox on a game to game basis than worry about what it means for Quentin's career to DH 2/3 of the time.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I didn't think Quentin was very good in LF in 2008 either. Meanwhile, Kotsay is well above average in the corners and is passable in CF. Would you even consider starting Q a single game in CF? As it stands KW and Ozzie believe Kotsay is good enough to make a few starts at CF, because I doubt they expect Rios to start 162 games. That would be unthinkable with Quentin, obviously Kotsay is the superior defender. I'm not saying Kotsay should be starting 150 games, but if they are both in the lineup why not go with the best defense and put Quentin at DH? The only argument not to is because he's too young to DH, not because it gives the Sox the best defense. I'd rather go with the best defense for the Sox on a game to game basis than worry about what it means for Quentin's career to DH 2/3 of the time.Well... I hate this argument because it's always used but... Didn't Griffey play CF? That kind of killes everything you first said. :tongue:

Quentin has decent speed, plays balls well in front of him... knows where he is at on the field... plus, Kotsay is aging. Giving Kotsay even a decent amount of starts in the outfield shouldn't even happen. I think Kotsay should stay strictly 1B and DH. Quentin has showed no sign of needing to be a DH other than being hurt last season. He is a good defender.

TheVulture
01-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Well... I hate this argument because it's always used but... Didn't Griffey play CF? That kind of killes everything you first said. :tongue:

Well, when a 40 year old Griffey played CF on a team that wouldn't think of putting Quentin there that should tell you something, I agree. Had Kotsay been on the team at the time, it's doubtful Griffey would've been in CF.

I think Kotsay should stay strictly 1B and DH.

Why would you think that when Kotsay is clearly the 2nd best OFer, defensively, on this team? And who is your backup CFer in that scenerio?

Rockabilly
01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Lets just sign Orlando Hudson than we can have the rotating DH.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Why would you think that when Kotsay is clearly the 2nd best OFer, defensively, on this team? And who is your backup CFer in that scenerio?Pierre can easily and has played 162 games MANY times. Kotsay can be a backup in case of injury, but I'm talking as part of this rotation. If Kotsay is part of a DH rotation that involves him and Quentin switching back and forth in right, I will go into the season very worried about our team.

Jones and Nix can play CF too...

Britt Burns
01-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Thank you! That is an inane label on so many levels...I mean what's worse, a 'base clogger' like Thome who will take a walk and still has plus-plus power or a fast guy with a .315 OBA? And he's old, so what? Same argument. I just don't get it...our DH spot is shaping up to be a black hole, and it could be filled very easily and inexpensively. Give him $3m-$4m, drop him to sixth in the lineup and rest him against lefties and we will get better production than three quarters of all the other teams' DHs. Istead we are going to have Vizquel(!), Kotsay, and Jones all prove they are no longer ML caliber hitters.

TheVulture
01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Pierre can easily and has played 162 games MANY times. Kotsay can be a backup in case of injury, but I'm talking as part of this rotation. If Kotsay is part of a DH rotation that involves him and Quentin switching back and forth in right, I will go into the season very worried about our team.

Jones and Nix can play CF too...

That's my point - Kotsay wouldn't be a part of the DH rotation; Quentin, Pierre, Jones, Konerko and whoever else would. In however many games Kotsay is in the lineup, he would be in the OF or 1b in order to provide the best defense possible out of the players in the lineup that day(though that's debatable at 1b), as would Omar play the IF in games he starts rather than DH.

I'm not sure I'd want Jones or Nix playing CF, either. Pierre would be passable in center too, but if Rios is out I'd rather keep Pierre in left and go with Kotsay in center with Quentin or Jones in RF. Unless Jones has returned to form in the field - then it's a whole-notha-story. I ain't holding my breath though.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-23-2010, 10:47 PM
That's my point - Kotsay wouldn't be a part of the DH rotation; Quentin, Pierre, Jones, Konerko and whoever else would. In however many games Kotsay is in the lineup, he would be in the OF or 1b in order to provide the best defense possible out of the players in the lineup that day(though that's debatable at 1b), as would Omar play the IF in games he starts rather than DH.

I'm not sure I'd want Jones or Nix playing CF, either. Pierre would be passable in center too, but if Rios is out I'd rather keep Pierre in left and go with Kotsay in center with Quentin or Jones in RF. Unless Jones has returned to form in the field - then it's a whole-notha-story. I ain't holding my breath though.Ya, I agree with that. I forgot about Rios completely. I keep doing that, even though I can't wait to see the guy play.

The other part... I just don't want Kotsay to get outfield starts over Quentin, it doesn't sit well in my stomach... Quentin is only 26. (maybe 27... idk when his b-day is)