PDA

View Full Version : Ankiel to the Royals - What a mess KC is...

jabrch
01-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Three CFs - Ankiel, Pods and BA - and not a single one who is good at baseball. Kinda sad.

Why would they spend 3mm on this guy given all that they already have with Pods, BA, Jose Guillen and David DeJesus? Alex Gordon is slated to be the full time DH with Fields at 3B...

Other than Grienke and Soria and I guess Butler, this is an awful team.

Who plays 2B? Callaspo or Getz?

That franchise was a great one when I was growing up - it is a shame what they have become. But I am happy they have become it in our division.

Craig Grebeck
01-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Three CFs - Ankiel, Pods and BA - and not a single one who is good at baseball. Kinda sad.

Why would they spend 3mm on this guy given all that they already have with Pods, BA, Jose Guillen and David DeJesus? Alex Gordon is slated to be the full time DH with Fields at 3B...

Other than Grienke and Soria and I guess Butler, this is an awful team.

Who plays 2B? Callaspo or Getz?

That franchise was a great one when I was growing up - it is a shame what they have become. But I am happy they have become it in our division.
Butler is fantastic and Gordon will come around. They're not so far away, they just need a decent general manager.

MARTINMVP
01-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Just going out on a whim, but I can see KC, maybe not this year, but sometime soon, come out of nowhere and surprise all of us (not necessary by winning the division, but at least contending for it) - much like Detroit first did back in 2006.

pythons007
01-22-2010, 08:05 AM
They have backups all over that team. That is surprising to see that they stacked up CF like that. Why in the hell would they have Fields as their starting 3B? His hands are made of pure stone! They should have Fields as their DH, Gordon at 3B and Butler at 1B.

akingamongstmen
01-22-2010, 08:18 AM
I think that they're smart for loading up on guys like this. It's the "shotgun" approach to being a GM. Pull the trigger and hope that you hit your target with some of the scattershot.

For all we know, they might catch lightning in a bottle with Ankiel, Pods, BA or Fields. I think that Getz is a solid 2B for them and they've got some talent already in place (Butler, Greinke, Soria and Gordon (he's going to figure it out soon)). The Royals won't be pushovers forever. I'll bet they finish better than Cleveland and maybe even Detroit this year.

DumpJerry
01-22-2010, 08:47 AM
:anderson:
It just sucks to be me. Even the Royals won't give me a chance.

Bobby Thigpen
01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
I've always wondered if some GMs don't load up on guys like this in hopes they'll have a decent year and someone will send them prospects in return for them at the trade deadline. Do that a couple three or four times and you'll have yourself a team in a few years.

Problem is when you're the Pirates, you do that a couple times and then those prospects grow up and get good and then you deal them too.

DumpJerry
01-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Just going out on a whim, but I can see KC, maybe not this year, but sometime soon, come out of nowhere and surprise all of us (not necessary by winning the division, but at least contending for it) - much like Detroit first did back in 2006.
It would appear that they are doing this, but keep in mind for every Ankiel they sign, they sign two aging cast-offs from better teams. I'm sure the heat the Marlins were getting for their low payroll played a role in this signing.

01-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Butler is fantastic and Gordon will come around. They're not so far away, they just need a decent general manager.

What about their pitching staff? Outside of Grienke it is awful.

russ99
01-22-2010, 09:44 AM
I've always wondered if some GMs don't load up on guys like this in hopes they'll have a decent year and someone will send them prospects in return for them at the trade deadline. Do that a couple three or four times and you'll have yourself a team in a few years.

Problem is when you're the Pirates, you do that a couple times and then those prospects grow up and get good and then you deal them too.

Also, they've lost a lot of mid-level players/prospects in their system, so they're re-filling the 40-man roster with cheap signings.

Many of these moves are for their AAA team, rather than the big club, and if a guy wins a job out of spring training, so be it.

It's a smarter approach than blowing lots of $5-10M contracts on suspect guys. I think they learned their lesson from the Guillen signing.

DumpJerry
01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
What about their pitching staff? Outside of Grienke it is awful.
Come on, they have Rick Ankiel now!

asindc
01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Also, they've lost a lot of mid-level players/prospects in their system, so they're re-filling the 40-man roster with cheap signings.

Many of these moves are for their AAA team, rather than the big club, and if a guy wins a job out of spring training, so be it.

It's a smarter approach than blowing lots of $5-10M contracts on suspect guys. I think they learned their lesson from the Guillen signing.

I agree, and if you are going to take this approach, this is the right ecomomic climate to do it in. I imagine that almost all the guys they have signed are happy to have a job, considering that there are still quite a few good players still looking.

thedudeabides
01-22-2010, 10:11 AM

They have a lot more problems than just their manager, although I agree that is a problem.

Butler is a great hitter, and has made him self passable in the field. Gordon still has a lot to prove, he is coming very close to a Teahan career path with the Royals, with slightly better defense. He deserves a little more time due to the injuries. Not a whole lot of other promising young position players, other than Callaspo's bat, but he was one of the worst defensive players in the AL last year. The upper level of the minors is barren in position players.

They have a true ace, and a top-notch closer, but their pitching is horrendous outside of that. They really need their high price picks to start developing over the next couple of years.

This team is about as far away from contending as it gets.

jabrch
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM

No kidding - this is one of the franchises in the absolute worst position in baseball - and not trending upward. I'm thrilled that we get to face them as much as we do.

Bobby Thigpen
01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A2JRAWJd9O0/Su9IRTE0rDI/AAAAAAAAAgc/zHUbuUcuTAw/s320/Pittsburgh_Pirates.jpg
"We resemble that remark!"

johnnyg83
01-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Strange signing indeed. Pretty sure Guillen is done here ... unless he lights it up in Spring Training. Though they're awfully thin with power bats.

DeJesus would be a great 4th OF on any team. I think this means BA is going to Omaha.

Gordon > Fields at 3B.

Lineup will probably look like:

LF Pods
CF DeJesus
RF Ankiel
1B Butler
DH Guillen/Pena
3b Gordon/Fields
2b Getz/Callaspo
SS Betancourt/Aviles
C Kendall

Though I see it says in the report Ankiel will play CF, he'd have the best arm for RF among Pods and DeJesus.

doublem23
01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
No kidding - this is one of the franchises in the absolute worst position in baseball - and not trending upward. I'm thrilled that we get to face them as much as we do.

We only did go 9-9 against them last year.

That said the only thing the Royals have going for them is they are in the Central, where there is no dominant franchise.

JB98
01-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Strange signing indeed. Pretty sure Guillen is done here ... unless he lights it up in Spring Training. Though they're awfully thin with power bats.

DeJesus would be a great 4th OF on any team. I think this means BA is going to Omaha.

Gordon > Fields at 3B.

LF Pods
CF DeJesus
RF Ankiel
1B Butler
DH Guillen/Pena
3b Gordon/Fields
2b Getz/Callaspo
SS Betancourt/Aviles
C Kendall

Though I see it says in the report Ankiel will play CF, he'd have the best arm for RF among Pods and DeJesus.

:rolling:

johnnyg83
01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
You know who might make sense for the royals?

Thome.

Though I doubt the Royals would make sense to him.

And actually, depending on options, I think BA might make the team over Mitch Meier.

It's Dankerific
01-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Why would BA go to Omaha? he signed a ML contract.

johnnyg83
01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Why would BA go to Omaha? he signed a ML contract.

It's possible that he might not make the team out of st. Unless I'm missing something, him and Mitch Maier will battle for the last OF spot.

It's Dankerific
01-22-2010, 08:09 PM
It's possible that he might not make the team out of st. Unless I'm missing something, him and Mitch Maier will battle for the last OF spot.

They'd have to cut and pay him then.

johnnyg83
01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
oh, I see.

Which makes me doubt the management even more.

jabrch
01-22-2010, 11:20 PM
We only did go 9-9 against them last year.

That said the only thing the Royals have going for them is they are in the Central, where there is no dominant franchise.

We sucked last year.

I'll take as many games against them as we can get - and run like a criminal. This club is as bad as any in the game (except Wash who's arrow is pointing up and MAYBE Pittsburgh)

johnnyg83
01-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Actually the KC Star story today mentions that BA has options left and that Mitch Maier does not ... which would lead me to believe they can send him down.

WSox597
01-23-2010, 02:24 PM
:anderson:
It just sucks to be me. Even the Royals won't give me a chance.

Bah-dum bump!

:D:

It's Dankerific
01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Actually the KC Star story today mentions that BA has options left and that Mitch Maier does not ... which would lead me to believe they can send him down.

This is all interesting news. considering BA had no options left when the Red Sox cut him. I dont understand a ML contract with options, but whatevers. they really gonna pay him 750k to sit in AAA?

Rdy2PlayBall
01-23-2010, 06:30 PM
To think last year they were starting to look like they were improving. Once they got injuries, they fell apart. They should have tried to hold the team together a little more.

01-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Gordon > Fields at 3B.

LF Pods
CF DeJesus
RF Ankiel
1B Butler
DH Guillen/Pena
3b Gordon/Fields
2b Getz/Callaspo
SS Betancourt/Aviles
C Kendall

You know for the Royals, that's a pretty strong lineup.