PDA

View Full Version : Andruw Jones is in Great Shape

spawn
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/01/20/heyman.lincecum.arbitration/index.html

Per a blurb in this SI article, he's in the best shape he's been for a decade. We'll see. I hope it's true. If so, and we see shades of the old Andruw Jones, that $500,000 may be money well spent.

JermaineDye05
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/01/20/heyman.lincecum.arbitration/index.html

Per a blurb in this SI article, he's in the best shape he's been for a decade. We'll see. I hope it's true. If so, and we see shades of the old Andruw Jones, that $500,000 may be money well spent.

He could be a nice surprise off the bench. I just hope that this shape he's in has nothing to do with certain banned substances. Always was a bit suspicious of him considering his major drop-off.

JermaineDye05
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Also, I don't care so much about what shape he's in. Just that he knows how to hit the baseball, that has been his bigger problem the last couple of years.

If he's in good shape though, that at least gives Ozzie the flexibility to use him in the OF at times to give Rios, Pierre, and, more importantly, TCQ a rest when needed.

Noneck
01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Having a good defensive outfielder along with Rios would be a big plus.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Maybe he'll be able to get his average up to .225.

asindc
01-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Well, at least the Sox are not paying him $18 million a year like the Dodgers did.

scarsofthumper
01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Also, I don't care so much about what shape he's in. Just that he knows how to hit the baseball, that has been his bigger problem the last couple of years.
Seriously???

PalehosePlanet
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM

If he's in good shape though, that at least gives Ozzie the flexibility to use him in the OF at times to give Rios, Pierre, and, more importantly, TCQ a rest when needed.

Exactly. If he's in great shape it means that, at the very least, he should be a good outfielder again.

As far as the PED comment, I don't buy it. He can still hit the ball a long way when he makes contact. I don't think the PED's prevented him from chasing the low and away slider in the dirt.

JermaineDye05
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Seriously???

My expectations for him this year were that he'd be primarily used as a DH off the bench. If I stick with that assumption then all I really want him to do is hit the baseball. The good shape he's reportedly in is an added bonus because now Ozzie could potentially use him in the field.

So I care more about him being able to hit. I feel that this team is in more need of hitters (preferably ones with good power which Andruw has) than another defensive replacement.

Now that's not to say I won't be happy if Andruw comes into camp in great shape that it allows him to be used as an outfielder and as a DH. I will be disappointed if he comes into camp in this great shape and still can barely hit over .200. I hope he worked on his hitting as much as he did on his conditioning this past offseason.

Noneck
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
My expectations for him this year were that he'd be primarily used as a DH off the bench. If I stick with that assumption then all I really want him to do is hit the baseball. The good shape he's reportedly in is an added bonus because now Ozzie could potentially use him in the field.

So I care more about him being able to hit. I feel that this team is in more need of hitters (preferably ones with good power which Andruw has) than another defensive replacement.

Now that's not to say I won't be happy if Andruw comes into camp in great shape that it allows him to be used as an outfielder and as I DH. I will be disappointed if he comes into camp in this great shape and still can barely hit over .200. I hope he worked on his hitting as much as he did on his conditioning this past offseason.

I basically agree with what you say but who beside possibly Vizquel (who may only know what to do at this stage in his career) are these defensive replacements the Sox have?

Mohoney
01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
If Jones plays well defensively in Spring Training, is it possible that Quentin could become the primary DH?

asindc
01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I basically agree with what you say but who beside possibly Vizquel (who may only know what to do at this stage in his career) are these defensive replacements the Sox have?

I think Kotsay qualifies as such, in both the OF and 1B.

JermaineDye05
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
I think Kotsay qualifies as such, in both the OF and 1B.

Also De Aza could possibly make the team as a fifth (or sixth however you want to label Kotsay) outfielder though I see that as a longshot unless he has a "BA" kind of ST. I'd say Danks has an extremely longshot. Even if he performs well, I think the Sox would rather him get more seasoning in the minors ala Beckham in 09.

Zisk77
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Round is a shape.:redneck

DirtySox
01-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I will remain cautiously optimistic considering Heyman is Boras' mouthpiece.

pearso66
01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I'd say if he is in great shape, and can hit, he should be playing the field with CQ as the DH. Hopefully it would keep CQ healthy.

soxfan43
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I'd say if he is in great shape, and can hit, he should be playing the field with CQ as the DH. Hopefully it would keep CQ healthy.

I'd agree but I'm sure he'll get some time in the OF and Pierre will get some time at DH as well, we've all seen the cannon he's got.

RedPinStripes
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
If Jones plays well defensively in Spring Training, is it possible that Quentin could become the primary DH?

I think Jones is here because KW figures Carlos is getting hurt at some point. I like that he's in shape. That's a start.

Jim Shorts
01-21-2010, 12:25 AM
I think Jones is here because KW figures Carlos is getting hurt at some point. I like that he's in shape. That's a start.

+1.

It's a start. I don't know about anyone else here, but I kind of expect TCQ to get a noteworthy injury in 2010. There seems to be a whole platoon to make up for the 'expected' injuries this year.

Again, I agree, it's a start.

Randar68
01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Look, they have said the same kinds of things about him in past offseasons that he showed up all fat and puffy... particularly in LA.

I'll believe it when I see it. That guy needed to lose 25-30 pounds and move another 20 pounds...

If he can run like he used to, then I will believe it... the rest is fluff.

Lip Man 1
01-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm kind of in Randar's camp.

I got an e-mail from a baseball writer, who asked two Texas baseball writers about Andruw. (I sent him the blurb that Jon Heyman posted.)

He told me that the two Texas baseball writers told him that Jones was "finished."

I hope he's in shape and can make a positive contribution.

We'll have to wait and see.

Lip

RedPinStripes
01-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Look, they have said the same kinds of things about him in past offseasons that he showed up all fat and puffy... particularly in LA.

I'll believe it when I see it. That guy needed to lose 25-30 pounds and move another 20 pounds...

If he can run like he used to, then I will believe it... the rest is fluff.

Well if he's fat, we all know Ozzie will call him fat.