PDA

View Full Version : Forget about Weaver

Jerry_Manuel
06-13-2002, 03:21 PM
From the Daily South Town:

From the Sox, Detroit wants top outfield prospect Joe Borchard, third base prospect Joe Crede and a top pitching prospect, which could be either Jon Rauch or Corwin Malone.

A source in the Sox organization confirmed the asking price, and that the Sox said "no, thanks" with little hesitation.

Here is the rest of the article (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/131sd4.htm)

Found this part interesting:

According to a report published earlier this week, Sox vice president of major league scouting Larry Monroe was in Detroit last Friday night to watch Weaver pitch against Philadelphia.

Monroe was in fact in Detroit. But the team dismissed the idea of getting Weaver as far back as early May. Monroe said he was in Detroit to watch "several other players."

Pete_SSAC
06-13-2002, 03:26 PM
Wow, I want to smoke what the GM for the Tigers are smoking.

I wouldn't give up those three for Johnson or Schilliing, let alone WEAVER.

:gulp:

- Pete

bjmarte
06-13-2002, 03:29 PM
I guess the word really is out about KW overpaying, huh?

Jerry_Manuel
06-13-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by bjmarte
I guess the word really is out about KW overpaying, huh?

Maybe. Here is another section from the article:

The Sox shouldn't feel as if the Tigers are playing hardball only with them. Detroit's asking price from the Reds starts with standout left fielder Adam Dunn, and from the Yankees, it's first baseman Nick Johnson and young left-handed pitcher Ted Lilly.

Paulwny
06-13-2002, 03:32 PM
Once again JM has his versatility with Paul and Harris. I hope we don't see any strange line up moves, or "tinkering".

"Harris is a guy that gives us some speed off the bench," Manuel said. "If we want to do some things, he can play a few different positions, run, steal a base and lead off an inning."

Jerry_Manuel
06-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Once again JM has his versatility with Paul and Harris. I hope we don't see any strange line up moves, or "tinkering".

"Harris is a guy that gives us some speed off the bench," Manuel said. "If we want to do some things, he can play a few different positions, run, steal a base and lead off an inning."

I'd rather see Harris out there over Ray. That's just me though.

SoxxoS
06-13-2002, 03:48 PM
Obviously, Dombrowski doesn't want to trade Weaver. Adam Dunn straight up? Borchard, Crede, and a pitching prospect? Ted Lilly and Nick Johnson? That is unbelieveable. I would have a hard time trading Rauch and Crede for him, let alone our top propect in the organization as well. I think Nick Johnson and a top 5 prospect for Weaver is more than fair, and if they pass that up the Tigers are retarted.

Randar68
06-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I'd rather see Harris out there over Ray. That's just me though.

No, it's not just you...

Jerry_Manuel
06-13-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
No, it's not just you...

I stand corrected.

hold2dibber
06-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Egads (people just don't use that word enough any more)! Dombrowski is out of his gourd. As much as I like Weaver, only a crazy-ass GM with a penchant for overpaying would go anywhere near that deal . . . uh oh.

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 04:12 PM

According to a report published earlier this week, Sox vice president of major league scouting Larry Monroe was in Detroit last Friday night to watch Weaver pitch against Philadelphia.

Monroe was in fact in Detroit. But the team dismissed the idea of getting Weaver as far back as early May. Monroe said he was in Detroit to watch "several other players."

Oh god please let it be Fick pretty please with a cherry on top.

DrWatson27
06-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Oh god please let it be Fick pretty please with a cherry on top.

I would take higginson in left field though! He would be an improvement over anyone else we've run out there this year.

hold2dibber
06-13-2002, 04:52 PM
I'd take either Fick or Higgy (despite their prominent roles in the '00 brawl of all brawls); they can both rake and we need some left handed pop. But Higginson has a big contract, so I don't see that happening.

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 05:52 PM

Here is the rest of the article (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/131sd4.htm)

Found this part interesting:

that was the same thing being posted on the det forum board, damn i wish i can remember which, but not the espn board the other night............ i wonder where he was getting his info.......... the same poster went on to say that dd knew that kw will overpay on any player he wants......... regardless. i think it might have been on the minor report or the strikethree board......

btw thanks jm great article

cornball
06-13-2002, 06:22 PM
I hope whatever deals KW does he does he doesn't overpay. I hate to say it but for example McPhail and Dombrowski have the patience to win trades and KW doesnt.

RedPinStripes
06-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

No, it's not just you...

You beat me to it.

Tragg
06-13-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by cornball
I hope whatever deals KW does he does he doesn't overpay. I hate to say it but for example McPhail and Dombrowski have the patience to win trades and KW doesnt.

Great point. Although their asking price is absurd, they have at least made it clear that the price is high. When teams get desperate, someone is likely to overpay.
Patience is the word.

BTW - read your profile. Nice prize you have 1971 team ball. That was a cool team - the resurrection from 1970, the worst in team history - one of my favorites as a Sox fan.

SoxxoS
06-13-2002, 11:57 PM
<<<I'd take either Fick or Higgy (despite their prominent roles in the '00 brawl of all brawls>>>

I was at that game in the 2nd row, right behind the Tigers dugout, and it was the best game I have ever been too. I saw Fick and Higginson walk back with there jersry all bloody. It was great times.

mrwag
06-14-2002, 10:36 AM
I think this team needs a good fight to get it's schit going. How about Frank body slamming Sammy tonight?

hold2dibber
06-14-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
I think this team needs a good fight to get it's schit going. How about Frank body slamming Sammy tonight?

A Cubs/Sox brawl would be amazing. The whole city would be thrown into pandemonium. I'd like to see Maggs use his karate kick technique to take Sammy out of commission and Garland whoop Prior's ass.

LongDistanceFan
06-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

A Cubs/Sox brawl would be amazing. The whole city would be thrown into pandemonium. I'd like to see Maggs use his karate kick technique to take Sammy out of commission and Garland whoop Prior's ass. and they should bring up lee evans for this occasion and tell him to go after any body with a flub jersey........ :)

Foulke You
06-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
and they should bring up lee evans for this occasion and tell him to go after any body with a flub jersey........ :)

No, no, no, not Lee Evans! How about this guy...
:canseco

LongDistanceFan
06-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

No, no, no, not Lee Evans! How about this guy...
:canseco he is retired