PDA

View Full Version : Will Paul Konerko Have His #14 Retired By The White Sox One Day?

Thome25
01-20-2010, 08:46 AM
On the heels of the "Paulie wants to stay in Chicago" thread, This question begs to be asked because this quite possibly could be PK's final year on the southside of Chicago.

Does Paulie deserve to have his number retired one day? Do you think it will happen?

2010 will be his 12th year with the Sox. Not including the numbers he'll put up this year, he is second in franchise history behind Frank Thomas with 319 home runs; third with 1,016 RBIs; fifth with 305 doubles and sixth with 861 runs scored. His name is in the top 10 in other categories on offense as well.

Add a World Series ring and the fact that he has always been a class act in which he has put team goals ahead of his own numbers (IMO character playes a big factor as well as numbers.) and I believe that he does deserve to have his number retired one day.

Harold Baines' number was retured prematurely......While I feel that he definitely deserved it, if Baines can get his #3 retired by the Sox, then I think #14 deserves to be there in honor of Konerko as well.

I'll probably get hammered for this thread but, I think that it's a valid thing to discuss as PK is in the twilight of his career and his days with the Sox may be numbered.

What do you think? THANKS for posting!!:D:

EDIT: Mods Could You Please Take The Word "WHILE" out of Poll Option #2==THANKS!!

ewokpelts
01-20-2010, 08:53 AM
if ken williams has his way, it'll happen before frank gets his number retired.

russ99
01-20-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't know. He's somewhere between solid slugger and number-retire status.

He's certainly not at the overall level of Thomas or Baines. More like Bill Melton.

Just a judgment call, but I'd have to say no at this point.

If he can put up 3-4 more years of 2009-type numbers, then his chances would improve.

Thome25
01-20-2010, 09:11 AM

He's certainly not at the overall level of Thomas or Baines. More like Bill Melton.

If he can put up 3-4 more years of 2009-type numbers, then his chances would improve.

His numbers are ahead of Baines' and Melton's in several offensive categories.....is that because he was a better player or just because he spent more time with the Sox than than they did? You be the judge. We need a stat head to compare the average numbers of Konerko, Baines, Melton.

Add Konerko's offensive rankings in Sox history and the fact that he was a major contributor to something that Baines and Melton never had.....a World Series Championship and I agree that it's an argument that could go either way.

hi im skot
01-20-2010, 09:15 AM
I think it's a no-brainer that his number gets retired.

veeter
01-20-2010, 09:25 AM
I think it's a no-brainer that his number gets retired.I agree 100%. A very fine career, a World Series Grand Slam and victory, then handing the Championship winning baseball to the owner...uh yes, his number will be retired.

russ99
01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
His numbers are ahead of Baines' and Melton's in several offensive categories.....is that because he was a better player or just because he spent more time with the Sox than than they did? You be the judge. We need a stat head to compare the average numbers of Konerko, Baines, Melton.

Add Konerko's offensive rankings in Sox history and the fact that he was a major contributor to something that Baines and Melton never had.....a World Series Championship and I agree that it's an argument that could go either way.

Paul's 162 game average is 31HR, 100RBIs - career: .270/.352/.491, but they'll likely end up a bit lower, as he hasn't had his end of career decline yet.

Melton (in a pitching era): 23HR, 84RBI - career: .253/.337/.419

Baines: 22HR, 93RBI - career: .289/.356/.465 (pretty close comparison)

Frank: 36HR, 119RBI - career: .301./.419/.555

Jim Shorts
01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
The fact he personally saved the WS ball and gave it to JR, get's him a statue and his face on the wall

JMO

g0g0
01-20-2010, 09:50 AM
I think he gets it retired. How long has the guy been a leader and captain of this team? He's been loyal to the club, posted good numbers, and helped add a WS ring to the media guide. You can't ask for much more.

dickallen15
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM

No modern day White Sox is at Thomas' level, but Konerko is right there with Baines if not slightly ahead as far as his White Sox career.
Baines 1670 games 221 HR 981 RBI .288 AVG. .346 OBP .809 OPS 118 OPS+

Konerko 1619 games 319 HR 1016 RBI .280 AVG .355 OBP .852 OPS 118 OPS+

Add an ALCS MVP and perhaps the biggest HR in team history, he's a lock to have his number retired as long as JR is around, and certainly will have a statue somewhere in the park. (Some might suggest they spot the statue every time Paulie gets on base.)

eastchicagosoxfan
01-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I voted no, then read the posts, and realized I voted the wrong way. I think his skills will rapidly decline in a year or two. I see him as good player, but not a great player. By accounts though, he's a great guy.

sox1970
01-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Once he handed the ball to Reinsdorf and then re-signed, it was all but a guarantee that he'd get his number retired one day. Not that I agree with that, but it's true.

Hitmen77
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't know...it might be on the fence (no pun intended :duck:) as to whether he would get his # retired.

Perhaps if he returns after 2010 under a new contract (it would have to be much less than his current $12 million/yr) and puts in a few more solid seasons with us, then maybe retiring his number could be more easily justified.

The thing is, I don't want the Sox to go overboard and retire the number of every good, but not HOF-material player. That's why I wish the Sox would come up with some sort of official Sox Hall Of Fame that can honor the players who aren't quite "retired #" caliber but still put in great seasons for the White Sox. This could include players like Robin Ventura, Konerko, Dick Allen, etc.

g0g0
01-20-2010, 10:46 AM
That's why I wish the Sox would come up with some sort of official Sox Hall Of Fame that can honor the players who aren't quite "retired #" caliber but still put in great seasons for the White Sox. This could include players like Robin Ventura, Konerko, Dick Allen, etc.

I think that's a great idea! It wouldn't take a lot to do it too. It honors them without having to have 60,000 statues in the park hehe.

sox1970
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't know...it might be on the fence (no pun intended :duck:) as to whether he would get his # retired.

Perhaps if he returns after 2010 under a new contract (it would have to be much less than his current $12 million/yr) and puts in a few more solid seasons with us, then maybe retiring his number could be more easily justified.

The thing is, I don't want the Sox to go overboard and retire the number of every good, but not HOF-material player. That's why I wish the Sox would come up with some sort of official Sox Hall Of Fame that can honor the players who aren't quite "retired #" caliber but still put in great seasons for the White Sox. This could include players like Robin Ventura, Konerko, Dick Allen, etc.

I agree with the Sox Hall of Fame thing, but they've already retired numbers of players that aren't in the Hall and will never be--Baines, Minoso, Pierce...Charley Lau sorta. Basically, if you have 12 good years with the Sox, you're getting your number retired and a statue.

WhiteSox1989
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Agreed.

Thome25
01-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I agree with the Sox Hall of Fame thing, but they've already retired numbers of players that aren't in the Hall and will never be--Baines, Minoso, Pierce...Charley Lau sorta. Basically, if you have 12 good years with the Sox, you're getting your number retired and a statue.

Now that the bar has been lowered and players like Jim Rice and Andre Dawson are in the hall, then Harold Baines absolutely deserves to be there.

So does Billy Pierce.

FarmerAndy
01-20-2010, 11:07 AM
It's not like Frank, where he is a HOF'er and should have a statue erected the second he officially retires.

I think in cases like Konerko it would be better to wait at least 10 years after retirement and then visit the idea. It's so much easier to be biased, for better or worse, in the present while somebody is still playing.

I like the idea of a little Sox HOF somewhere in the park. I agree that we don't need a statue of every above-average player around the park. I think it would be great to honor such players in a little team HOF area, but from now on save the statues around the park for HOF caliber players.

sox1970
01-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Now that the bar has been lowered and players like Jim Rice and Andre Dawson are in the hall, then Harold Baines absolutely deserves to be there.

So does Billy Pierce.

OK, you keep thinking that.

Thome25
01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
OK, you keep thinking that.

Wow nice comeback!!......Not to let this thread get hijacked because it's supposed to be about Konerko but, Baines' numbers compare favorably to both Dawson's and Jim Rice's. The HOF set the bar lower by letting Dawson's and Rice's numbers set a standard. WTS Baines deserves to be there too.

thomas35forever
01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
His longevity as well as his accomplishments in a Sox uniform are more than enough to get his number retired here. I personally cannot wait for the day it happens.

Zisk77
01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Considering the dearth of offensive juggernauts in the franchise's history, Paulie is a no-brainer for a statue. Not only has he been highly productive but he has done it in a sox unform for many years. the same cannot be said for a player like Melton.

TommyJohn
01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
No number retired, no statue. He is a very good player, but not deserving of either honor. Neither is Baines quite frankly, and the fact that he has both cheapens it. I can agree with all other statues and number retirements-even Pierce and Minoso. They aren't in the Hall of Fame, but they made significant contributions to the franchise and are borderline for Cooperstown. Konerko is not. Good player, great guy. No to the honors. Honor him as part of the 2005 team, that's fine.

I also like Hitmen77's idea-have an official White Sox Hall of Fame to honor players who were White Sox greats but don't make the grade for Cooperstown-Robin Ventura, Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood, Dick Allen, etc. Hell, we could also honor the members of Cooperstown like Appling and Lyons, et al. But its main purpose would be to honor White Sox team greats and educate generations of fans about them. Konerko belongs in there.

BleacherBandit
01-20-2010, 02:26 PM
No number retired, no statue. He is a very good player, but not deserving of either honor. Neither is Baines quite frankly, and the fact that he has both cheapens it. I can agree with all other statues and number retirements-even Pierce and Minoso. They aren't in the Hall of Fame, but they made significant contributions to the franchise and are borderline for Cooperstown. Konerko is not. Good player, great guy. No to the honors. Honor him as part of the 2005 team, that's fine.

I also like Hitmen77's idea-have an official White Sox Hall of Fame to honor players who were White Sox greats but don't make the grade for Cooperstown-Robin Ventura, Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood, Dick Allen, etc. Hell, we could also honor the members of Cooperstown like Appling and Lyons, et al. But its main purpose would be to honor White Sox team greats and educate generations of fans about them. Konerko belongs in there.

And I don't think you have to mention Minoso and Pierce as the reason we should retire Konerko's number. Just because they had their numbers retired doesn't mean we can't begin to retire MLB greats--not merely White Sox greats. The "White Sox Greats" should be placed in a White Sox HOF, the "All-Time Greats" who just happened to play for the White Sox for the majority of their career should have their numbers retired.

The Red Sox have adopted this practice by only retiring the numbers of hall of fame players that played over ten years for their team. Granted, they have been inconsistant in this process by retiring Johnny Pesky's number while refraining from retiring Wade Bogg's number. But you get my drift.

PalehosePlanet
01-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Me too. He's in the top five in most offensive categories in team history, and was instrumental in our World Series win.

As far as a statue goes, I say no. That should be reserved for HOF'ers and borderline HOF'ers. We still need to put up statues of our HOF'ers like Eddie Collins, Luke Aplling, Big Ed Walsh, Ray Shalk, Ted Lyons, Red Faber, et al. In fact all those guys should have had statues up before Baines --- and I loved Harold.

LITTLE NELL
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Right now I'm sitting on the fence on retiring Paulies number.
He is right up there in most offensive catagories but my rule of thumb for retiring a number would be is that player HOF material and Paulie is probably at this point not. If he stays with the Sox and gets to 500 HRs I would retire his number.

TDog
01-20-2010, 05:02 PM

So does Billy Pierce.

It doesn't work that way. Putting someone into the Hall of Fame who doesn't belong doesn't mean everyone more deserving should get in. Just because Bill Mazeroski gets voted in for his defense, I won't make the argument that Bobby Knoop, who was better defensively, belongs in the Hall of Fame.

However, I believe Baines is more deserving than Rice or Dawson.

As for number retirement, it should done sparingly. Frank Thomas will get his number retired certainly. But he had a Hall of Fame career, and the last I heard, he hadn't filed his retirement papers yet.

Waysouthsider
01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Just because Bill Mazeroski gets voted in for his defense, I won't make the argument that Bobby Knoop, who was better defensively, belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I think Mazeroski got voted in for his defense........ and that little home run he hit at Forbes Field to finish off the New York Scoundrels...:cool:

doublem23
01-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Me, too. Konerko, Buehrle, and Big Frank are all shoo-ins right now.

TDog
01-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I think Mazeroski got voted in for his defense........ and that little home run he hit at Forbes Field to finish off the New York Scoundrels...:cool:

Ostensibly Mazeroski was voted in for his defense. Hitting a home run to end Game 7 of a World Series doesn't qualify someone for the Hall of Fame any more than pitching a perfect game in the World Series does. The only player to hit two Game 7 World Series home runs isn't in the Hall of Fame either. (Maybe he's in the Purdue University Sports Hall of Fame, though, considering he once recorded an 82-yard punt.)

Of course, there are people who believe Carlton Fisk wouldn't have been so highly regarded had he not ended Game 6 of the 1975 World Series.

Domeshot17
01-21-2010, 12:03 AM
I think PK will, but its close. He has quietly had a very impressive Career.

He is one of those guys that will in 30 years will probably be pretty forgotten by baseball, but will live on through White Sox fans. I think Baines is kind of the same way. I don't think he should be in the hall personally. Baines was a model of consistency, but when compared, he was never a truly DOMINANT player. He has a small stretch as one but mostly hung his hat with a steady and consistent approach.

Konerko, He is the type of guy that in 10 years wouldn't shock me if he was our hitting coach.

ewokpelts
01-21-2010, 08:14 AM
I think PK will, but its close. He has quietly had a very impressive Career.

He is one of those guys that will in 30 years will probably be pretty forgotten by baseball, but will live on through White Sox fans. I think Baines is kind of the same way. I don't think he should be in the hall personally. Baines was a model of consistency, but when compared, he was never a truly DOMINANT player. He has a small stretch as one but mostly hung his hat with a steady and consistent approach.

Konerko, He is the type of guy that in 10 years wouldn't shock me if he was our hitting coach.

my greatest fear come true.