PDA

View Full Version : Costas' Studio 42: HOF Closers

Brian26
01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
MLB is re-playing this interview with Fingers, Gossage, Sutter and Eckersely. There are some pretty good stories and highlights. Fingers just re-told the story of striking out Bench in the World Series on a fake pitch-out with two strikes. Gossage is going to talk about his feud with the San Diego chicken after the commercial break.

Brian26
01-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Gossage just confirmed to Costas that the Sox only wore shorts one time during the '76 season. I know that question had been floating around for awhile.

TommyJohn
01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Gossage just confirmed to Costas that the Sox only wore shorts one time during the '76 season. I know that question had been floating around for awhile.And Costas tried to sneak in his lame Wilbur Wood punchline, still unaware that Wood was out for the season, and wasn't around for the shorts game.

I had to laugh at the way Gossage said "get the hell out of this bullpen" when talking about the Chicken. That just cracked me up, for some reason.

PaleHoser
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I really liked this episode.

My favorite story was Gossage talking about his first year in New York. You know things are going bad for you when your center fielder (in this case, Mickey Rivers) is set up in a four point stance facing the wall while you're delivering the pitch. Seeing the still photo of how Rivers was set up had me in stitches. Absolutely priceless.

TommyJohn
01-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I really liked this episode.

My favorite story was Gossage talking about his first year in New York. You know things are going bad for you when your center fielder (in this case, Mickey Rivers) is set up in a four point stance facing the wall while you're delivering the pitch. Seeing the still photo of how Rivers was set up had me in stitches. Absolutely priceless.
That was very funny. Gossage talking about his reaction to Rivers made me laugh out loud.

SOXfnNlansing
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
it was good...

ode to veeck
01-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Gossage just confirmed to Costas that the Sox only wore shorts one time during the '76 season. I know that question had been floating around for awhile.

Why was it floating around?! I thought it was well known they wore the shorts for only one game.

asindc
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Why was it floating around?! I thought it was well known they wore the shorts for only one game.

Because some lazy sports writers have said that the team wore shorts for the entire season. I've read some articles where they said they were worn in the "mid-70s."

TDog
01-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Because some lazy sports writers have said that the team wore shorts for the entire season. I've read some articles where they said they were worn in the "mid-70s."

If that were the case, you would think more film clips of White Sox players wearing shorts would exist. I watched the game on televising, but the only clip I've ever seen with a White Sox player in shorts has the late Pat Kelly preparing to hit. It was shown on network news programs the night of the game, to illustrate that team wearing shorts for the first (and it would turn out to be last) time.

TommyJohn
01-20-2010, 05:22 PM
If that were the case, you would think more film clips of White Sox players wearing shorts would exist. I watched the game on televising, but the only clip I've ever seen with a White Sox player in shorts has the late Pat Kelly preparing to hit. It was shown on network news programs the night of the game, to illustrate that team wearing shorts for the first (and it would turn out to be last) time.
Another reason it was up for debate is because no one here ever solved the mystery of the catcher. The White Sox wore the shorts against the Royals, but one clip of Pat Kelly stepping in shows a catcher clerly garbed in grey and orange, seemingly playing for the Orioles or Tigers. So where did the clip come from? If they only wore them once against the Royals (and that is the only time I remember them doing so) then who is the catcher?

Waysouthsider
01-20-2010, 05:46 PM
I think Costas is way, way to smug, but this interview was great...watched it again this week...

Brian26
01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Another reason it was up for debate is because no one here ever solved the mystery of the catcher. The White Sox wore the shorts against the Royals, but one clip of Pat Kelly stepping in shows a catcher clerly garbed in grey and orange, seemingly playing for the Orioles or Tigers. So where did the clip come from? If they only wore them once against the Royals (and that is the only time I remember them doing so) then who is the catcher?

This is what I was referring to. I remember we had this discussion a number of months ago, and Lip was possibly working on some leads with writers or someone with the Sox. We know they wore them at least once, but the question was whether they wore them two or three times.

Nellie_Fox
01-21-2010, 12:40 AM
This is what I was referring to. I remember we had this discussion a number of months ago, and Lip was possibly working on some leads with writers or someone with the Sox. We know they wore them at least once, but the question was whether they wore them two or three times.For some reason, I had always thought it was twice, but I have nothing to back that up.

Save McCuddy's
01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I think part of the confusion comes from the possibility that Lamar Johnson continued to wear the shorts from time to time following that game because he absolutely loved the comfort and never contemplated sliding anyways. Not sure if I remember this accurately, however.

SOXSINCE'70
01-21-2010, 06:36 PM
I think Costas is way, way too smug

Fixed it for you.

He may be smug, but he's no Joe Buck.:angry:

gobears1987
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I always heard the shorts were worn for 1 game of a double header.

Nelson Foxtrot
01-22-2010, 01:04 AM
The shorts were worn on two occasions, both in August 1976.

The first time was Game 1 of a DH vs. KC on 8/8.
Here's an article about the game: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HUYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XH8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1098,2740045&dq=white+sox+shorts&hl=en
Here's the box score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197608081.shtml

The second time was vs. BAL on 8/21.
I can't find any full free articles, but here are two headlines:
Day of game: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/610960962.html?dids=610960962:610960962&FMT=CITE&FMTS=CITE:AI&type=historic&date=Aug+21%2C+1976&author=&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=Sox+to+wear+shorts+today&pqatl=google
Next day: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/610964282.html?dids=610964282:610964282&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&type=historic&date=Aug+22%2C+1976&author=&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=Sox+stay+hot+in+shorts&pqatl=google
Here's the box score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA197608210.shtml