PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle perfect game call on MLB Network

MARTINMVP
01-19-2010, 09:02 PM
The last play where Hawk nervously shouts "Alexiiii" to end the Mark Buehrle's perfect game was voted the top play-by-play call in 2009 on tonight's MLB Network "Hot Stove" program.

soltrain21
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Everything after him saying "Alexei" was complete and utter garbage, though. Luckily for me, I was there in person.

WhiteSox5187
01-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Everything after him saying "Alexei" was complete and utter garbage, though. Luckily for me, I was there in person.

Ah it was normal human reaction. There are a lot of things about Hawk I don't like, but I have no problem with his call there.

GoGoCrede
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Ah it was normal human reaction. There are a lot of things about Hawk I don't like, but I have no problem with his call there.

I was pretty disappointed. I know he was taken aback by the moment, but I thought his call could have been better. Your mileage may vary.

kevingrt
01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I was pretty disappointed. I know he was taken aback by the moment, but I thought his call could have been better. Your mileage may vary.

Just wondering... what would you have liked him to say?

Anyone that "did not like" Hawk's final call in Buehrle's perfecto can answer this.

GoGoCrede
01-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Anyone that "did not like" Hawk's final call in Buehrle's perfecto can answer this.

I just thought he could have said something other than the same word seven times, that's all.

soltrain21
01-19-2010, 10:10 PM

He was yelling "yes" to the point I thought someone should have handed the guy a cigarette and asked if it was good for him, too.

Frontman
01-19-2010, 10:15 PM
What compared to my "He did it, He did it, He did it!!!" while jumping around my front room? Or my seven year old screaming "Mark Buehrle!!!" over and over again? Its the same thing. For at that moment; all Sox fans were going crazy (not to the point World Series nuts, mind you) and most of Major League Baseball was going just as nuts. (I'll assume the Tampa Bay Rays weren't thrilled to be a part of history in that way.)

Considering there was only 18 of these ever called; its really hard to critique Hawk on it. The ol' Hawkeroo might be annoying at times; but in those few moments he was as much of a fan as the rest of us.

Stone however was incredible in his professionalism; while still giving us the personal side. I actually felt that in some way it was special that I got to watch/listen to that game in its entirety and experience my first perfect game (albeit at home) along with Stone experiencing his first perfect game that he was a part of.

Now, if Mark can do that AND we have a winning season? That would be wonderous.

gobears1987
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Come on, that call was a classic Hawkgasm. It's one of the reasons I like the Hawk.

soltrain21
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Come on, that call was a classic Hawkgasm. It's one of the reasons I like the Hawk.

Well, it's the reason I don't like him.

thomas35forever
01-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I love Hawk, but I never thought he'd be honored with a broadcasting award if he hasn't already.

fram40
01-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Frontman - you are not a professional broadcaster. Hawk is and every time I hear his "YES YES YES YES YES" I wish he had come up with a different finishing call. Something that would have brought some gravitas to such an historical event. Something as good as his "Call your sons. Call your daughters. Call your neighbors" in the eighth inning. That was a fantastic lead-in to a dramatic ninth inning. "Alexiiiii" worked very well also. One "Yes" was fine - that's Hawk's signature line.

But to repeat it four times to the point of hoarseness - that sucked.

One other example is Vin Scully's final call for Koufax' perfect game.

oeo
01-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Well, it's the reason I don't like him.

I don't see how you can hold him being a diehard Sox fan against him. The call wasn't very good, but then again, when you look at it, not many of Hawk's calls are. He's passionate and gets caught up in the moment. I can't hold that against him. I was there too, and he echoed the same stuff I was screaming and probably yourself. He's one of us, he just so happens to call the games too.

MarkZ35
01-20-2010, 12:36 AM
One other example is Vin Scully's final call for Koufax' perfect game.
As great as Scully is I think his call of the perfect game is the dullest thing I've ever heard. It as if he isn't even excited. He doesn't even say anything.

MARTINMVP
01-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I have really grown to appreciate Hawk, despite some of his setbacks. I do get annoyed when he fails to place blame on the White Sox, when it is sometimes necessary. It is his dire enthusiasm that I can appreciate, even if it is sometimes excessive. Stone Pony, I think balances him out.

I especially found the Wise catch to be funny. After Hawk yells "makes the catch!" Stone is about to say something, and Hawk interrupts from pure excitement. At those moments, I can't fault Hawk, I just kind of laugh along at it (not out of disrespect, but just in a feel good way).

I will take Hawk's enthusiasm any day over Joe Buck. While Buck is completely polished, I can't stand his lack of enthusiasm for anything. Some will argue that he is trying to be completely objective, but it doesn't meant he can't show some emotion for anything.

As a matter of fact, I would say that almost all the national play-by-play guys (FOX, TBS) are pretty annoying. I do like ESPN's Jon Miller.

fram40
01-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I have really grown to appreciate Hawk, despite some of his setbacks. I do get annoyed when he fails to place blame on the White Sox, when it is sometimes necessary. It is his dire enthusiasm that I can appreciate, even if it is sometimes excessive. Stone Pony, I think balances him out.

As a matter of fact, I would say that almost all the national play-by-play guys (FOX, TBS) are pretty annoying. I do like ESPN's Jon Miller.

I agree. My only complaint is mentioning a tool such as Joe Buck. To say you prefer Hawk to Joe Buck is akin to stating you prefer cheeseburgers to dog****.

Joe Buck is awful. Just awful.

Mendoza Line
01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
I actually associate the game more with "Call your sons, call your daughters, etc." than I do with the final play. I know its not technically a play call, but I think it summarizes the historical achievement a lot better.

kba
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM

My preference would have been for him (or any TV announcer) to call the play, let loose with a BRIEF exclamation ("Yes!" or "A perfect game" or whatever), and then step back and be quiet and let the pictures tell the story.

There have been a handful of announcers in baseball history who could punctuate a moment like that with something poetic or poignant ... something so special that we remember the call almost as much as we remember the play. But unless you have something like that to say, silence is golden.

scarsofthumper
01-20-2010, 11:01 AM
As great as Scully is I think his call of the perfect game is the dullest thing I've ever heard. It as if he isn't even excited. He doesn't even say anything.
It's called professionalism. Announcers weren't the homeristic types they are now, back then.

asindc
01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
It's called professionalism. Announcers weren't the homeristic types they are now, back then.

I'm assuming you have never heard of Jack Brickhouse, Harry Caray, or Johnny Most.

TommyJohn
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm assuming you have never heard of Jack Brickhouse, Harry Caray, or Johnny Most.
Jack Brickhouse? A homer? Surely you jest.

"The happy totals! WHHHHEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

scarsofthumper
01-20-2010, 02:22 PM
They weren't nearly as bad as some of the announcers of today, including Hawk.

and the FS Florida call of the perfect game was a lot better, because they didn't say anything. They just let the pictures speak for themselves.

asindc
01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
They weren't nearly as bad as some of the announcers of today, including Hawk.

and the FS Florida call of the perfect game was a lot better, because they didn't say anything. They just let the pictures speak for themselves.

Well, with you having been banned (didn't see that coming), you probably won't see this post for awhile, but your response clearly indicates to anyone familiar with Johnny Most that you have not heard his work.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I appreciate Hawk's honesty...homerish as it is.

What I liked more in that was Stone's comments....as professional as he is, you could tell he was excited. That was cool.