PDA

View Full Version : Paulie wants to finish his career here

Brian26
01-19-2010, 09:35 PM
The story is over a day old, but I think its worth a mention.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100118&content_id=7931672&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Pretty cool that PK will be starting his 12th full season with the Sox in 2010. In this day and age, you don't see that often enough.

To put it in perspective: Robin Ventura only played nine years and one month with the Sox. Carlton Fisk played less than twelve and a half years. Mags was only here seven and a half years. The only guy in my lifetime to eclipse Konerko is Big Frank with 16 years (albeit, significant time lost in four of those due to injury).

A. Cavatica
01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Good for him for wanting to play for the Sox.

Bad for the Sox if they keep him around long-term. At the end of his career he'll be an albatross.

Brian26
01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Good for him for wanting to play for the Sox.

Bad for the Sox if they keep him around long-term. At the end of his career he'll be an albatross.

I think there's a position for him on this team if the Sox approach it delicately and intelligently. They're not in a position to re-sign him for 16 mil/year, but as a DH at a more affordable price, with spot starts at 1B, there's a spot for him.

Bobby Thigpen
01-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes, depending on role and contract, I'd welcome Pauly back for a couple three or four years.

Tekijawa
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Players get faster as they get older... Right?

voodoochile
01-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Players get faster as they get older... Right?

Why would that be a consideration in whether to keep PK around after his contract ends?

This isn't Pods we are talking about. Speed is the last reason they would make a decision about Paulie.

Why would you even bring it up?

october23sp
01-19-2010, 10:12 PM
I always thought it was Paulie.:redneck

Seriously though, his defense is very under-rated, and he can still hit the ball very well. He's such a fan favorite that he often isn't even looked at as a favorite player because he is just a staple of the team.

soltrain21
01-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Why would that be a consideration in whether to keep PK around after his contract ends?

This isn't Pods we are talking about. Speed is the last reason they would make a decision about Paulie.

Why would you even bring it up?

An older Paulie probably gets lapped when he is on first base and the batter at the plate hits a single.

Lip Man 1
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I wonder if the news that the Sox moved Viciendo (sorry if the spelling is wrong) to first base last week had anything to do with the timing of the comment?

Lip

DSpivack
01-20-2010, 12:22 AM
This makes Frater sad.

It's Dankerific
01-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Of course he wants to finish his career here. He'll get more money than he's worth to stay because he's a "fan favorite". At another team he'd have to produce in the present, not the past.

bunty_doghunter
01-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Translation: Pay me to play long past my useful playing life just for sentimentality sake. Can't blame him for that, can't pay him for that.

34rancher
01-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Do you guys really see Pauly as the $$$ boy you are describing him as? I think the guy just wants fair market value and likes it here with his family. For all the charity work he does, you guys make him sound like he's Arod or something. Plus, does he strike you as the kind of guy who is about the greed? Come on. Not saying he will be an everyday player at some point, but you gotta think he is a great influence on some of the younger guys.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I always thought it was Paulie.:redneck

Seriously though, his defense is very under-rated, and he can still hit the ball very well. He's such a fan favorite that he often isn't even looked at as a favorite player because he is just a staple of the team.

The man handed Jerry Reinsdorf the WS ball at the parade. I cried.

Re-sign him and let him finish his career here. I know the $ doesn't make sense, but it's still what I'd like to see.

veeter
01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
(Picking on Paulie's speed makes no sense.) In the fourth year of that five year contrct, Paul led the team in rbi's. He had one of his best years defensively also. Keeping Paulie might HAVE to happen. I'm sure he'd play for less than the 12 mil. he currently makes. And, who knows how Viciedo will develop?

jabrch
01-20-2010, 08:34 AM
At the end of his career he'll be an albatross.

Doesn't that depend on what he is costing us and how productive he is? How can you make that blanket statement with such authority?

jabrch
01-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Do you guys really see Pauly as the $$$ boy you are describing him as?

Of course not. But let's not let reality get in the way of a good rant.

jabrch
01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I know the $ doesn't make sense, but it's still what I'd like to see.

What money doesn't make sense? How do you know? Do you think he is looking for a 5/60 deal when this one is over?

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-20-2010, 09:20 AM
What money doesn't make sense? How do you know? Do you think he is looking for a 5/60 deal when this one is over?

Nevermind.

russ99
01-20-2010, 10:04 AM
(Picking on Paulie's speed makes no sense.) In the fourth year of that five year contrct, Paul led the team in rbi's. He had one of his best years defensively also. Keeping Paulie might HAVE to happen. I'm sure he'd play for less than the 12 mil. he currently makes. And, who knows how Viciedo will develop?

I'm more concerned at the bad streaks Paul has. If he has another bad one, I'd think Kenny would be tempted to move him, especially since high salary and decreased production are why Dye and Thome aren't back.

But if he takes less salary to come back, he'd certainly have a place here.

chisoxfanatic
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
The story is over a day old, but I think its worth a mention.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100118&content_id=7931672&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Pretty cool that PK will be starting his 12th full season with the Sox in 2010. In this day and age, you don't see that often enough.

To put it in perspective: Robin Ventura only played nine years and one month with the Sox. Carlton Fisk played less than twelve and a half years. Mags was only here seven and a half years. The only guy in my lifetime to eclipse Konerko is Big Frank with 16 years (albeit, significant time lost in four of those due to injury).
That's awesome! It will be extremely weird seeing someone else starting at 1st when he does retire. I'm glad my jersey won't be obsolete in the near future.

oeo
01-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I wonder if the news that the Sox moved Viciendo (sorry if the spelling is wrong) to first base last week had anything to do with the timing of the comment?

Lip

It probably has to do with the fact that this is the last year he's under contract and he's now fielding questions about it, just like 5 years ago.

beasly213
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
That's awesome! It will be extremely weird seeing someone else starting at 1st when he does retire. I'm glad my jersey won't be obsolete in the near future.

Just because he wants to stay doesn't mean he will. :redneck

BleacherBandit
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Paul is 33 and has a few good years left in him, probably. If last year didn't reassure you then I don't know what to say.

Why can't they just sign him to a contract that has him staying around for the 2-3 decent years he has left in him?

Konerko seems like the guy who knows when to hang them up, too.

MetroPD
01-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Paulie's been a great asset for the southsiders both on the field and off. For those who are insinuating that somehow he isn't worth the money, I fail to understand just what vantage point you are speaking of? If you're saying that Paulie is money hungry, then obviously you haven't been around long enough to know what pine tar on a bat is for let alone make comments that Konerko is financially driven. Thats not his personality now nor has it ever been. Its true he is making out pretty well, but then again he's a gamer. Paulie has been a inspirational proponent of White Sox baseball for the past 10 years, to dump him along the way side would be a travesty.

Frater Perdurabo
01-20-2010, 08:09 PM
This is a complicated decision in which emotion should play no part. These are the questions that need to be answered:

What kind of contract does Paulie expect? # Years? Dollars?

Will Viciedo be ready in 2011?

Can the money saved by not signing Paulie upgrade other positions to replace his production?

Will losing him make the 2011 Sox lineup too anemic? Could his production be replaced by other players at lower or equal cost, or could the Sox actually acquire a younger, better, cheaper 1B like Adrian Gonzalez via trade?

A. Cavatica
01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Doesn't that depend on what he is costing us and how productive he is? How can you make that blanket statement with such authority?

Use some common sense. A player's skills peak before his salary does, and then he's always getting paid for what he did the year or two before, as his skills decline. And eventually he's producing less than a rookie and being paid more.

Konerko seems like a particular risk to drop off a cliff at some point, because he's one-dimensional. He's had long batting slumps in the past; if he hits one when he's a 36-year-old DH he'll be out of a job.

As they say, better to deal a player away a year too early than a year too late.

esbrechtel
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Paulie money grubbing :scratch:.....Didn't he take less $ to stay in Chicago after 2005 instead of running away to the Angels

I really would like to see him stay as a DH and a spot starter at first, that said I think he has 2 or 3 more years to be productive at 1st

I also wonder if Viciedo just made the change to first will he be ready by 2011? I think alot of people around here would not be happy with a below average defensive 1st basemen...

Either way I think Paulie can have a coaching position on this team in the near future if he wants...

A. Cavatica
01-20-2010, 10:41 PM
If last year didn't reassure you then I don't know what to say.

You do realize he had a bad year last year? In OPS, he ranked 19th among the 24 first basemen who had enough at-bats to qualify for the batting title.

He's just not that good.

MISoxfan
01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
What site compares position players like that?

soxfanreggie
01-20-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, depending on role and contract, I'd welcome Pauly back for a couple three or four years.

I agree! Also sign him to a personal services contract to be an ambassador for the Sox - help out at spring training, make appearances at charity events, etc. I have no idea if he wants to get into coaching, but I'm sure we could find a spot for him to start somewhere.