PDA

View Full Version : Article on Rios (Good Read)

JermaineDye05
01-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1998367,CST-SPT-sox19.article)

Really good to hear this. I expect a big season from him in 2010.

guillensdisciple
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
While I do believe he will be fine, the line about him being laid back kind of worries me. I wish he shared the same intensity that Peavy does.

Craig Grebeck
01-19-2010, 09:31 AM
While I do believe he will be fine, the line about him being laid back kind of worries me. I wish he shared the same intensity that Peavy does.
That's stupid. People are wired differently.

asindc
01-19-2010, 09:32 AM

While I understand your point, I don't mind that Rios shares the same intensity as Jermaine Dye or Harold Baines in their primes. I just want Rios to produce, no matter what his personality is.

hawkjt
01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
JD was laid back and he gave the Sox huge years. Just hope he forgets about last year and comes in,gets off to a good start and never looks back.

Save McCuddy's
01-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Sounds a lot like how I deal with my malfunctioning lap top. Close the lid, power down and come back to it in a day or two.

guillensdisciple
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM

I don't understand why that is stupid. Did I say he was going to underperform, did I say that he was to falter? No, it worries me because I want him to have the same passion as Peavy does. Yes, people are wired differently, but there is nothing wrong with wanting a championship so bad that you will do anything for it.

Thanks for the stupid comment though, there is no way you could have explained the other 5 words of your comment without it.

Craig Grebeck
01-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't understand why that is stupid. Did I say he was going to underperform, did I say that he was to falter? No, it worries me because I want him to have the same passion as Peavy does. Yes, people are wired differently, but there is nothing wrong with wanting a championship so bad that you will do anything for it.

Thanks for the stupid comment though, there is no way you could have explained the other 5 words of your comment without it.
No, it's definitely stupid to put intensity on a pedestal, and value it as though it's a sign of passion. A player can be passionate and reserved just as easily as a player can be intense but not passionate. In short, passion ≠ intensity.

I don't give a **** if Peavy makes fiery quotes in some Scott Merkin fluff piece, I just want the guy to go back to being a good pitcher. Same for Rios (but as a position player, obviously).

dickallen15
01-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Everyone looks great in the offseason. We will see how he does in the regular season to see if he justifies all the money he gets paid. I remain skeptical. There were more than a couple of scouts that question this guy's head. No one questions his ability.

TheOldRoman
01-19-2010, 10:30 AM
No, it's definitely stupid to put intensity on a pedestal, and value it as though it's a sign of passion. A player can be passionate and reserved just as easily as a player can be intense but not passionate. In short, passion ≠ intensity.

I don't give a **** if Peavy makes fiery quotes in some Scott Merkin fluff piece, I just want the guy to go back to being a good pitcher. Same for Rios (but as a position player, obviously).Continue?

Nellie_Fox
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
DO NOT tell other posters that their post is stupid. He said he wished it, that's all. He said nothing else, and you have no right to tell him that his wish is stupid.

Pablo_Honey
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
True and last time Sox advertised passion and swagger, well we all know what happened...but it's always exciting to hear that guys are willing to go out and pitch/hit the everlovingcrap out of the ball. Besides, people who have seen Peavy pitch know that he is a max-effort guy, so there is no questioning his intensity. The question was whether he wanted to pitch for the Sox and however big lipservice his quotes might be, it gets people pumped for next season. Seeing how Rios was described as a guy who quit trying after the hefty extension, it's not so great to hear that he is reserved. Only time will tell whether Rios can bring it or not.

I don't give a **** if Peavy makes fiery quotes in some Scott Merkin fluff piece, I just want the guy to go back to being a good pitcher. Same for Rios (but as a position player, obviously).
Um, wha? Elaborate on this, will ya? Besides that bad stretch he had with Padres before being injured and traded, he looked pretty solid in the 3 starts he made with us. Not to mention he was pretty good in 2 preceeding seasons.

Rohan
01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Have you seen Mark Buehrle in the clubhouse? He's extremely laid back. But when he's needed to step up, he does. I expect the same of Alex Rios. I don't see why we're even talking about this...

I consider myself a rather laid back person. But like everyone else who is the least bit successful, I step up the intensity when needed.

Over By There
01-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't care if he's "laid back" or "fiery." From the sound of the article (flying to a non-mandatory "minicamp"), he's not lazy and he is motivated. Seems to me that's been the knock on Rios. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful he's going to turn it around and be big for us this year.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Here's hoping that stroke of a swing that Walker saw in Miami follows him to Opening Day in April.

cws05champ
01-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Intensity that is too high can be a detriment to certain people. Some people if their personality is more laid back and their intensity is ramped up it can negatively affect their performance(ie; playing tight). Some guys when they want something so bad, they just don't perform when the game matters most. Some guys are opposite and can perform....different strokes, different folks. It's ok for you to wish that but it may not help him, it just may make you root for him more. Like others have said, I just want him to perform...I don't care what his personality is like as long as he is not a jag in the clubhouse and negatively affects the team in that way.

dickallen15
01-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Intensity that is too high can be a detriment to certain people. Some people if their personality is more laid back and their intensity is ramped up it can negatively affect their performance(ie; playing tight). Some guys when they want something so bad, they just don't perform when the game matters most. Some guys are opposite and can perform....different strokes, different folks. It's ok for you to wish that but it may not help him, it just may make you root for him more. Like others have said, I just want him to perform...I don't care what his personality is like as long as he is not a jag in the clubhouse and negatively affects the team in that way.

I agree intensity levels can vary from individual to individual and for some it could be a detriment. As to Rios, there were more than a couple people closer to the scene than people on this board that have questioned his motivation, even before he struggled with the White Sox. Its great he' supposedly having a great winter, but we hear this about almost everyone this time of year. Hopefully, it translates into playing to his potential. The Sox owe him a lot of cash.

SoxSpeed22
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
People questioned Rios' work ethic and motivation after getting that contract. I don't think he's answered those things yet, but as long as he can keep up the effort, the results will come. He is way too good a ball player for it not to happen.

russ99
01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
True and last time Sox advertised passion and swagger, well we all know what happened...

Yeah, we won the division.

I like it. He had a hellish season, and few of us know what he went through in Toronto. I'm glad Alex had time to clear his head and is starting fresh.

The one thing I'd love to see from Sox fans regarding Rios is realistic expectations. If you think he's going to hit .320 with 40 HRs and 40 SB, you're asking too much. If you expect .280 with 20 HRs and 20-30 SB, than that's more like it.

I also love how Ozzie's putting him at #2 in the lineup at this point, as that's a good spot until he gets on a roll.

soxinem1
01-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, we won the division.

I like it. He had a hellish season, and few of us know what he went through in Toronto. I'm glad Alex had time to clear his head and is starting fresh.

The one thing I'd love to see from Sox fans regarding Rios is realistic expectations. If you think he's going to hit .320 with 40 HRs and 40 SB, you're asking too much. If you expect .280 with 20 HRs and 20-30 SB, than that's more like it.

I also love how Ozzie's putting him at #2 in the lineup at this point, as that's a good spot until he gets on a roll.

I realize about the danger of over-expectation, but he's getting paid a lot of money for a 20HR, 20-30 SB season. He also needs to drive in AND create runs.

And Rios also needs to give us an excellent CF defensively.

I'm sure he had a hellish year in TOR, but my concern is how he reacts the first time Guillen questions his desire, or something of that magnitude.

Then we'll see what he's made of.

Craig Grebeck
01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Go back to = return to 2007 form. I'm not going to kiss his ass based on three starts.

Were they good? Yes. Encouraging? Absolutely. Insignificant sample size? Yes. He's got a whale of a contract to live up to, and he'd better earn it and stay on the mound.

khan
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
No, it's definitely stupid to put intensity on a pedestal, and value it as though it's a sign of passion.

But is it a sign of having "The Fire and The Passion?"

Does it show the world that you're "a grinder?"

Rdy2PlayBall
01-19-2010, 04:03 PM
DO NOT tell other posters that their post is stupid. He said he wished it, that's all. He said nothing else, and you have no right to tell him that his wish is stupid.Where were you a month ago when the Bears were playing?

guillensdisciple
01-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Again, I understand your point and actually do think it holds value but I don't understand where you go coming off thinking that it is a stupid post. I merely stated my own opinion, and I had no idea that it would not be taken so well.

All the things you guys have been saying about different attitudes working differently in clubhouses is 100 percent correct, it just worries me with Rios because of the Javy comparison. I would not want to see a Javy-esque person stepping up to the plate for us.

BUT, I do think Rios will have a great season and career for the Sox so I have not fallen off the ship.

Pear-Zin-Ski
01-20-2010, 09:29 PM
We need "average" or "above-average" seasons from Alex and TCQ to have a good 2010.