PDA

View Full Version : Cubs/Sox series memories

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 01:31 PM
Nice little recap. So many names from the past -- Rick Aguilera, Doug Drabek, Chris Snopek, Brant Brown, Courtney Duncan, Mike Caruso...

It's funny, though, the game in which Sean Lowe picked off Mark Grace...I could have sworn that game took place at Wrigley, not Comiskey. Guess I'm wrong.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-020612crosstown.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dheadlines

Iwritecode
06-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
It's funny, though, the game in which Sean Lowe picked off Mark Grace...I could have sworn that game took place at Wrigley, not Comiskey. Guess I'm wrong.

I was at that game. Yep, it was at Comiskey. I believe the Sox lost that day too...

Randar68
06-13-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I was at that game. Yep, it was at Comiskey. I believe the Sox lost that day too...

You sure about them losing? I could have sworn the Sox won and all the Cubs could talk about was how that move was a balk...

Jerry_Manuel
06-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Jun 10, 2000: Wood vs. Sirotka at Comiskey.

Sox won the game 4-3.

Here is the boxscore (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100162/100162303.htm)

BASERUNNING: Picked off - Grace (1st base, S Lowe).

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 01:57 PM
The Sox won that game, hence the Flubs complaining about the call.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

You sure about them losing? I could have sworn the Sox won and all the Cubs could talk about was how that move was a balk...

That was the second of three games at Comiskey. Manuel had a chance to sweep on Sunday, but played his "B" team instead, saving up his good players for the big road trip to Cleveland and Yankee Stadium. We swept those seven games.

At Wrigley in July, the Sox took the first game. However the Flubbies won the next two and suddenly Mark Grace is talking about "winning the series", "moral victories to split the six crosstown games" and "going to war". He even led a bunch of his fellow dopes by shaving his lily-white scalp. LMAO!!!

The excitement on the North Side lasted about 3 weeks. Then they went back to their losing ways. Grace was gone the following winter.

I don't recall how many homeruns Shammy ended up with, but then why would I? I'm not a Flubs fan.

Foulke You
06-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Sorry Code, I was there and have that one on tape. It was game 2 at Comiskey in 2000 on a national broadcast and they won it. :smile: The Gracie pickoff was a key point late in the game that ended a Cubs threat with runners at 1st and 3rd and 2 outs. Maggs hit a homer to RF in that game too if I remember correctly. It was one of Kerry Wood's losses against the Sox. (Wood is career 0-3 against the White Sox)

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

That was the second of three games at Comiskey. Manuel had a chance to sweep on Sunday, but played his "B" team instead, saving up his good players for the big road trip to Cleveland and Yankee Stadium. We swept those seven games.

I was at that third game (actually, I've been to every Cubs/Sox game played at Comiskey...a streak that unfortunately ends this year), and I remember it well. Sox took an early lead by pounding out nothing but home runs, something like a 6-1 lead. Sox relievers blow the game, led by Jesus Pena I believe, who JM left in in order to save the rest of the bullpen. I was quite disgusted, but I saw what Jerry was getting at.

Foulke You
06-13-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

At Wrigley in July, the Sox took the first game. However the Flubbies won the next two and suddenly Mark Grace is talking about "winning the series", "moral victories to split the six crosstown games" and "going to war". He even led a bunch of his fellow dopes by shaving his lily-white scalp. LMAO!!!

The excitement on the North Side lasted about 3 weeks. Then they went back to their losing ways. Grace was gone the following winter.

I don't recall how many homeruns Shammy ended up with, but then why would I? I'm not a Flubs fan.

I remember that Sunday game at Comiskey. The Sox hit 5 homers (all solo) and still lost. The "B" team you referred to consisted of the great Jesus Pena and Kevin Beirne coming in relief, I believe. They lost on a squibber through the infield from the great Chad Meyers who was strutting his stuff after the game to the media. What ever happened to that "hot" Cubs prospect?

Kilroy
06-13-2002, 02:21 PM
The best game was the night before Sean Lowe pick move. Shammy took Foulke deep to tie the game, and Sox fans were worried. But then after a few extra frames, Herbert Perry was on 2nd and scored on a Ray Durham right-handed single. Sox fans were dancing in the aisles.

The worst of course was the unforgetable "Ivy Incident" when Brant Brown won it for the Flubs w/ a ding ding in the 11th. Magglio should have scored what would have been the winning run on that double but he was sent back to 3rd because Sammy couldn't find the ball in the weeds. Unfortunately, I was there...

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
The worst of course was the unforgetable "Ivy Incident" when Brant Brown won it for the Flubs w/ a ding ding in the 11th. Magglio should have scored what would have been the winning run on that double but he was sent back to 3rd because Sammy couldn't find the ball in the weeds. Unfortunately, I was there...

I loved the way that "great outfielder" Sham-ME immediately threw up his arms as soon as he saw the ball roll toward the ivy.

CHOP DOWN THE WEEDS!

Jerry_Manuel
06-13-2002, 02:26 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Slappy" and his game winning shot into the basket.

I for one would love to see Willie hit one out, but that's just me.

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I remember that Sunday game at Comiskey. The Sox hit 5 homers (all solo) and still lost. The "B" team you referred to consisted of the great Jesus Pena and Kevin Beirne coming in relief, I believe. They lost on a squibber through the infield from the great Chad Meyers who was strutting his stuff after the game to the media. What ever happened to that "hot" Cubs prospect?

And let's not forget Kevin Beirne's contribution on the day the Sox clinched the division in 2000. He singlehandedly gave the Twins the game, so we had to "celebrate" with a loss after Cleveland had already lost.

They didn't called him Kevin Burned for nothing!

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Slappy" and his game winning shot into the basket.

I for one would love to see Willie hit one out, but that's just me.

Some of us have jobs, you know. I don't think I got to see more than an inning or two of that entire Wrigley series.

34rancher
06-13-2002, 02:27 PM
I have to disagree. The best game was last year when CLee hit the slam. That was the most alive I have ever seen Comisky. It was towel night or sock night, and man when he hit that slam, the waving was incredible. That was probably the most I have seen Comisky rock, with possible exception to Ventura's slam back in the day when Frank hoisted him up. Stangres were hugging in the aisles.

Kilroy
06-13-2002, 02:28 PM

CHOP DOWN THE WEEDS!

The Cub fan that I was at that game with always argue about that particular ground rule. In 30+ years of watching baseball, I have never seen that rule go in favor of the visiting team. He says I'm wrong, that its even, but I have never seen the visitors throw up their hands because they can't find the ball.

Anyone else?

Jerry_Manuel
06-13-2002, 02:28 PM
Some of us have jobs, you know. I don't think I got to see more than an inning or two of that entire Wrigley series.

Memories doesn't mean you had to be there. I'm sure all of us by now have seen the homer.

Could you picture Royce hitting one into the basket? :smile:

Kilroy
06-13-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I have to disagree. The best game was last year when CLee hit the slam.

That was a good one too, another that I was at. But I think the 2000 one was a bit better. Sox fans were deflated when Shammy hit that rope that tied it. The Flubs made a pitching change specifically so that Durham would have to bat righty and no one was feeling too confident that he'd come thru. But when the ball found grass in left field, people were literally jumping up and down. The chanting started in the ramps and continued all the way over to the ITT lots. People were juiced.

cheeses_h_rice
06-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Memories doesn't mean you had to be there. I'm sure all of us by now have seen the homer.

For some reason, that entire Wrigley series is the one I least remember because I wasn't able to watch much of it live. I must have had something going on in my life at that time, too, because otherwise I'm sure I would have been glued to the news those nights.

Could you picture Royce hitting one into the basket?

:hitless

Just give me a bat, Sox fans, and watch the magic happen!

Procol Harum
06-13-2002, 03:28 PM

:hitless
Just give me a bat, Sox fans, and watch the magic happen!

LOL!! Make us a little magic, Choice, and disappear!

Viva Magglio
06-13-2002, 07:21 PM
I would have to say my favorite was the middle Friday game at Wrigley last year. We were coming off a loss the day before when Ricky Gutíerrez slammed us and the Cubs fans were all chriping. Then we came in and beat them. Of course, this game was most noted for Manos' kissing HR. I loved that!

alohafri
06-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Besides Jose's showboating ala shamME after he hit that HR, another memorable moment was when Kip Wells actually stole a base....
also, when the Choice got that little infield TRIPLE because the flubs kept bobbling the ball...my wife nearly wet her pants laughing at that one! :D:

And lastly, while at the Toilet Bowl last year, 2 idiot flub fans sitting behind us were marveling at CLee's homer onto Waverly Avenue! Typical.

I'm packing my bottle of RoundUp for the trip up North tomorrow.

Daver
06-13-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by alohafri

I'm packing my bottle of RoundUp for the trip up North tomorrow.

It won't work Aloha,I did a job there two years ago and a group of us picked one spot in LF to urinate on the weeds,after two weeks we only managed to kill a foot and a half of it.

We did mange to make the groundcrew angry though.

Spiff
07-16-2002, 05:02 PM
oh did you

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
oh did you

LOL, Spiff! If Aloha had done the deed, don't you think he would have been in here the past month doing the touchdown dance?

There was no story until this morning when the Cubune put it on their front page and Chimp Caray started whining.

:lynch&mcfail
"We are investigating reports of more raw sewage spills outside our restroom facilities as the cause."

Spiff
07-16-2002, 05:52 PM
oh i doubt he did it. if he was serious i dont think he would have said something beforehand. it was just a funny coincidence.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Spiff
oh i doubt he did it. if he was serious i dont think he would have said something beforehand. it was just a funny coincidence.

I agree. Either the person who did this is an idiotic glory hound, or has a spiteful criminal mind.

If he's a glory hound, he would have announced his intentions and bragged about it numerous times the past month. If he's a spiteful criminal, he would have simply done the deed and never breathed a word to anybody--least of all on a public message board.

I think it's funny that the Cubune has already publicly suggested it suspects Sox Fans were the perpetrators. Maybe we ought to start a class-action suit against them for defaming the fans of a competitor?

:gulp: