PDA

View Full Version : King Felix To Remain On Emerald Throne

DSpivack
01-18-2010, 11:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4837939

Agrees to extension with Mariners

Lip Man 1
01-19-2010, 12:41 AM
What Jack Zduriencik and Don Wakamatsu have done is 18 months is nothing short of a miracle. They are turning into a very good club on paper...and to think two years ago they lost 100 games.

Remarkable.

Just this off season they've inked Hernandez to a multi-year deal, traded for Cliff Lee, signed one of the top free agents in Chone Figgins, got Griffey to return for another year, got Jack Wilson signed to a new two year deal and got Brandon League.

The only move you can question is the acquisition of Bradley and considering they just unloaded Silva for him, let's say Bradley's upside is still a lot bigger than a broken down pitcher.

Lip

KRS1
01-19-2010, 12:59 AM
What Jack Zduriencik and Don Wakamatsu have done is 18 months is nothing short of a miracle. They are turning into a very good club on paper...and to think two years ago they lost 100 games.

Remarkable.

Just this off season they've inked Hernandez to a multi-year deal, traded for Cliff Lee, signed one of the top free agents in Chone Figgins...

Should have stopped here with that list.

goofymsfan
01-19-2010, 04:57 AM

Remarkable.

Just this off season they've inked Hernandez to a multi-year deal, traded for Cliff Lee, signed one of the top free agents in Chone Figgins, got Griffey to return for another year, got Jack Wilson signed to a new two year deal and got Brandon League.

The only move you can question is the acquisition of Bradley and considering they just unloaded Silva for him, let's say Bradley's upside is still a lot bigger than a broken down pitcher.

Lip

It's looking to be another exciting year of baseball out here in Seattle. I'm excited for the coming season, but will have to settle for the M's caravan and fanfest for the time being!

Oblong
01-19-2010, 08:12 AM
I expect a Verlander signing to be announced soon. They are scheduled fo arbitration this week and I figure they were waiting to see what happened with Felix to set the market. Dombrowski does not like to go through arbitration.

Soxman219
01-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Looks like the Marines have the AL West on lock now.

jabrch
01-19-2010, 10:15 AM

Is your teal button broken?

DSpivack
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Divisions aren't won on paper, as the 2001-2004 Sox can attest to.

That said, yeah, the Mariners look to have as good of a shot as anyone else. An improved Rangers team and an Angels team that lost some talent should make the AL West a real dogfight in 2010.

goofymsfan
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4837939

Agrees to extension with Mariners

It's looking like it is a 5 year deal worth reportedly around $80 Million

Lip Man 1
01-19-2010, 10:51 AM
KRS:

Griffey had 19 home runs last year and is a pretty good team leader, Wilson is one of the game's best defensive shortstops, whom the M's got to agree to another year on his deal instead of the original one (i.e. one year at 8.4 million vs. two years at 10 million) and League struck out a hitter an inning and made 67 appearances for Toronto.

Lip

Pablo_Honey
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM
KRS:

Griffey had 19 home runs last year and is a pretty good team leader, Wilson is one of the game's best defensive shortstops, whom the M's got to agree to another year on his deal instead of the original one (i.e. one year at 8.4 million vs. two years at 10 million) and League struck out a hitter an inning and made 67 appearances for Toronto.

Lip
Griffey was primarily their DH and 19 homeruns while flirting with Mendoza line is NOT a production you want from a DH. His signing was more of a PR move and I think it was a good move in terms of getting the fans to come out to stadium but not helping the team win.

Jack Wilson, I agree, was a good acquitision, certainly better than that Yuniesky kid they got rid of. And extending him for only average of 5 mil for 2 seasons was a bargain. Oh and dumping Yuniesky for Dan Cortes was another great move.

League trade is what baffled me the most considering what they gave up in Brandon Morrow. I know Morrow has the diabetes issue to deal with and his performance so far have been disappointing, but the kid can throw real hard and has potential to be a starter material. League is a reliever and an average, older one at that. This one is in favour of Jays right now IMO.

Anyways, this is a good extension for the Mariners although I wonder why they decided to sign him to such a hefty contract when he still has one year left for arbitration. He was expected to make no more than 10 mil this year.

goofymsfan
01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
While Griffey didn't provide much on the field for the team statistic wise, the way he helped turn around the clubhouse last year meant more to the team then anything he did on the field. It's one of those cases where the stats don't tell the entire story. He kept the clubhouse fun which translated to the team being more of a team on the field.

As for locking up Felix, I think it was the right move to lock him up now.