PDA

View Full Version : Comparing our future infield with...


Randar68
06-13-2002, 11:44 AM
Other MLB infields.

Thus far, the combination of Hummel, Harris and Crede has produced a total of 15 errors (5 each), in a combined 182 games. Unfortunately, I can't rememeber where I used to get complete fielding stats from for Charlotte, so I don't have othe stats like TC, PO, A, or DP's, so it'll be a very simple comparison

So, I was curious how this relates to other infields in the majors. For the sake of simplicity, I am comparing their #'s to the total infield numbers of other teams (2nd, SS, and 3rd)

Sox: 198 GP, 27 errors
Cubs: 192 GP, combined 20 errors
Yankees: 198 GP, 30 errors
Indians: 195 GP, 18 errors
Twins: 198 GP, 25 errors
Atlanta: 198 GP, 28 errors
Mets: 195 GP, 32 errors...

So far quite the favorable comparison defensively. If I could get my hands on complete fielding stats, I could definitely make a more complete comparison. However, the average fan only looks at errors.

Our "future" infield has a much better defensive flavor than most all MLB teams...

Dadawg_77
06-13-2002, 12:08 PM
Question, a while back I recall hearing/reading about some minor league parks are taken care of better then others. Not sure if this only effects lower end of minor league ball, but is there a way to compare parks and find which one is more suited for D then others, sort like a parks power rating (I forgot the real term)

Randar68
06-13-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Question, a while back I recall hearing/reading about some minor league parks are taken care of better then others. Not sure if this only effects lower end of minor league ball, but is there a way to compare parks and find which one is more suited for D then others, sort like a parks power rating (I forgot the real term)

There's no real way to compare it, but I would definitely say, from my experience, the fields ar GENERALLY better taken care of the higher up you go. There are some in the lower minors that are VERY nice, but usually they are better at the higher levels. There is no stat I know of to measure this as it varies throughout a season and accross seasons.

However, with all of that said, outside of the turf stadiums, MLB fields are the most well-kept of all...

palehosemike
06-13-2002, 08:22 PM
The minor league environment compared to that of a major leagues is comparing apples to oranges. Some guys play like All-Stars in the minors and then they choke when they come up to the show. It is more of a wait an see thing with prospects - I hope you are right and they all pan out, they definately have the potential.

PHM

RedPinStripes
06-13-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Other MLB infields.

Thus far, the combination of Hummel, Harris and Crede has produced a total of 15 errors (5 each), in a combined 182 games. Unfortunately, I can't rememeber where I used to get complete fielding stats from for Charlotte, so I don't have othe stats like TC, PO, A, or DP's, so it'll be a very simple comparison

So, I was curious how this relates to other infields in the majors. For the sake of simplicity, I am comparing their #'s to the total infield numbers of other teams (2nd, SS, and 3rd)

Sox: 198 GP, 27 errors
Cubs: 192 GP, combined 20 errors
Yankees: 198 GP, 30 errors
Indians: 195 GP, 18 errors
Twins: 198 GP, 25 errors
Atlanta: 198 GP, 28 errors
Mets: 195 GP, 32 errors...

So far quite the favorable comparison defensively. If I could get my hands on complete fielding stats, I could definitely make a more complete comparison. However, the average fan only looks at errors.

Our "future" infield has a much better defensive flavor than most all MLB teams...

:crede
we can all dream eventhough i'll be traded



:angry: f-u kw

Dadawg_77
06-13-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


There's no real way to compare it, but I would definitely say, from my experience, the fields ar GENERALLY better taken care of the higher up you go. There are some in the lower minors that are VERY nice, but usually they are better at the higher levels. There is no stat I know of to measure this as it varies throughout a season and accross seasons.

However, with all of that said, outside of the turf stadiums, MLB fields are the most well-kept of all...

Yeah, just read (after I posted) a part of Bill James book, Win Shares. He talks about the lack on a stat measuring how a field helps a team and a need for one. I guess give him a few years and he'll have something.