PDA

View Full Version : Major renovation of The Urinal announced

DumpJerry
01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-17-cubs-brite-chicago-jan17,0,1790453.story

No mention of how they play will games during the project. Supposed to be completed by the 2014 season which is (according to them) only the 100th anniversary of the dump.

twentywontowin
01-17-2010, 12:22 AM
As much as I dislike the fans, it's a good move for the organization. While the actual park itself is terrible in amenities and view, it really is a beautiful playing field. Smells like piss, but it looks great.

DSpivack
01-17-2010, 12:24 AM
What about the structure of the building itself? Is that not in some danger?

MARTINMVP
01-17-2010, 01:35 AM
You can't blame them for wanting to keep the Cubs at Wrigley for the long-term. Many Cub fans I know are smart enough to admit that the park is a dump and needs major renovations. After this is completed, they will have their ultimate dream ballpark.

VMSNS
01-17-2010, 02:14 AM
No Jumbotron, and no Friday night games.

Nellie_Fox
01-17-2010, 02:30 AM
No Jumbotron, and no Friday night games.Baseball is just fine without a jumbotron. Really.

cws05champ
01-17-2010, 09:04 AM
What about the structure of the building itself? Is that not in some danger?

Ya, I mean they still have nets up to catch falling concrete and rusty beams all over the place. They want to keep that dump around for "another 100 years"?? I think that's a bit optimistic.

CLR01
01-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Baseball is just fine without a jumbotron. Really.

Sorry but it just not worth going unless you can see cartoon baseballs, hat games and pizza races in HD on a 100 ft jumbotron. We wouldn't expect you Minnesota folk to know that though.

Red Barchetta
01-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Ya, I mean they still have nets up to catch falling concrete and rusty beams all over the place. They want to keep that dump around for "another 100 years"?? I think that's a bit optimistic.

Since they mentioned that this is a complete renovation, I think we're looking at a step-by-step, section-by-section renovation. Complete with new concourses, restrooms, seats, beams, concrete, etc. I know the focus will be on the new triangle building, parking garage, gift shop, resaurant, etc., however they are planning to completely renovate the park with the exception of the new outfield bleachers.

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2010, 02:34 AM
Sorry but it just not worth going unless you can see cartoon baseballs, hat games and pizza races in HD on a 100 ft jumbotron. We wouldn't expect you Minnesota folk to know that though.:tongue:

soxinem1
01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Since they mentioned that this is a complete renovation, I think we're looking at a step-by-step, section-by-section renovation. Complete with new concourses, restrooms, seats, beams, concrete, etc. I know the focus will be on the new triangle building, parking garage, gift shop, resaurant, etc., however they are planning to completely renovate the park with the exception of the new outfield bleachers.

Yes, and it looks like once this is complete, barely any of the original construction will exist, except for the upper and lower decks behind home plate..... And the permanently entrenched piss from the early 1920's........

Thus, will it still qualify as a historic structure?

ewokpelts
01-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Meanwhile, there's a poll about the L flag. 82% say the cubs should keep it. Did the sox fans vote on this already?

dickallen15
01-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Sorry but it just not worth going unless you can see cartoon baseballs, hat games and pizza races in HD on a 100 ft jumbotron. We wouldn't expect you Minnesota folk to know that though.

Without a scoreboard telling you, how is anyone supposed to know when to cheer?

CLR01
01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Without a scoreboard telling you, how is anyone supposed to know when to cheer?

That's a good point. Back in the old days, before the jumbotron or at lttl, I used go crazy cheering between innings. That was embarrasing. Still happens at little league games. :(:

scarsofthumper
01-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Meanwhile, there's a poll about the L flag. 82% say the cubs should keep it. Did the sox fans vote on this already?
Why would they?