PDA

View Full Version : Your White Sox WTS Prediction

SoxNation05
01-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I think this July the Sox will be winning but bexause of their pitching not their offense. After the Jones/Kotsay experiment falters, the Sox will trade prospects for free agent to be, Carlos Pena.

The Rays will not be able to keep up with the obviously better Yanks/BoSox and they have a first baseman of the future waiting in the wings

LoveYourSuit
01-16-2010, 02:03 PM
The White Sox will lose a bunch of 3-2 , 4-3 ballgames because of lack of offense but still manage to win the division with 87 games. WSI will be a rollercoaster with highs and lows and people in panic everytime they lose a 1 run because of lack of offense. Those folks will be flamed as dark clouds.

SoxNation05
01-16-2010, 02:46 PM
The White Sox will lose a bunch of 3-2 , 4-3 ballgames because of lack of offense but still manage to win the division with 87 games. WSI will be a rollercoaster with highs and lows and people in panic everytime they lose a 1 run because of lack of offense. Those folks will be flamed as dark clouds.

Aside from the first sentence that happens every year.

asindc
01-16-2010, 03:22 PM

The part of your statement that I underlined is why the part of your statement that I bolded will be justified.

JermaineDye05
01-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Jake Peavy will win 2 Cy Young awards while with the White Sox and sign an extension prior to his contract year.

Mark Teahen will hit 20 HR and drive in 83 in 2010. Nothing too spectacular but still an upgrade over what he produced in KC.

Big Frank will officially announce his retirement during ST this year.

KW will shock the baseball world (slight exaggeration) when he acquires either Prince Fielder or Adrian Gonzalez. When, I have no idea.

HomeFish
01-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Quentin and Rios combine to create a super-massive black hole in the middle of our lineup. Combined with the #5 starter situation, it brings back memories of 2004 after both Magglio and Frank were injured.

JermaineDye05
01-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Quentin and Rios combine to create a super-massive black hole in the middle of our lineup. Combined with the #5 starter situation, it brings back memories of 2004 after both Magglio and Frank were injured.

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot my Rios prediction.

Rios will bat .285 while hitting 18-20 HR and driving in 95-100 as well as steal 30+ bases.

He will not be the black hole in the lineup that some fear.

Marqhead
01-16-2010, 06:57 PM
After a brutal April offensive slump, the White Sox will fire Greg Walker and trade for Mark McGwire who will take over as hitting coach. Sox hitters will collectively bat .370 for the rest of the year while running away with the division. A Kansas City Royals team featuring ex-Sox players at all 9 positions will finish a distant second.

guillensdisciple
01-17-2010, 01:38 AM
After a brutal April offensive slump, the White Sox will fire Greg Walker and trade for Mark McGwire who will take over as hitting coach. Sox hitters will collectively bat .370 for the rest of the year while running away with the division. A Kansas City Royals team featuring ex-Sox players at all 9 positions will finish a distant second.

Please tell me Greg Walker will sign with the Royals.

veeter
01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
White Sox win 92 games and the divsion by five games.

soxfan26
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
The rotation will boast two 20-game winners and four pitchers with over 200 IP. Two pitchers will share the 5th spot in the rotation and produce below average numbers. The lineup will be adequate, injuries will not be a factor and I will watch another World Series with my Dad.

:gulp:

soxinem1
01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Teahan will be benched by the ASB, Beckham will be moved back to 3B, and Nix/Vizquel will platoon the rest of the season at 2B.

When the White Sox finish the first half tenth in runs scored WSI will be filled with those calling for an end to the 'DH By Committee' and the immediate return of Jim Thome.

Rios will be hitting .247 with 10HR and 34 RBI at the ASB and Guillen will be questioning 'Deez Keedz' heart and dedication.

Garcia will be a solid candidate for a demotion after 12 starts.

After Jenks blows his first save WSI will be filled with those lamenting him not being non-tendered.

After the first game MIN beats the White Sox in Target Field WSI will be filled with those lamenting the curse of that stadium and call for its immediate demolition.

sox1970
01-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Teahan will be benched by the ASB, Beckham will be moved back to 3B, and Nix/Vizquel will platoon the rest of the season at 2B.

When the White Sox finish the first half tenth in runs scored WSI will be filled with those calling for an end to the 'DH By Committee' and the immediate return of Jim Thome.

Rios will be hitting .247 with 10HR and 34 RBI at the ASB and Guillen will be questioning 'Deez Keedz' heart and dedication.

Garcia will be a solid candidate for a demotion after 12 starts.

After Jenks blows his first save WSI will be filled with those lamenting him not being non-tendered.

After the first game MIN beats the White Sox in Target Field WSI will be filled with those lamenting the curse of that stadium and call for its immediate demolition.

Teahen. His name is Teahen. A lot of people are ready to pounce on him and Rios already. They better get off to a decent start or it's going to get ugly.

I predict Hudson finds his way into the rotation at some point, and is one of the top AL rookies.

OldRomanPizza
01-17-2010, 10:55 PM
A lot of dinners get discussed in the chat room.

NLaloosh
01-18-2010, 06:37 AM
The White Sox finish in the top half of the AL in runs scored due to a much more balanced lineup particularly in the bottom third.

The White Sox finish at least 6 games ahead of the second place Twins.

The Sox have 5 starters with 10 wins or more (Garcia included).

Mark Teahen knocks in over 80 runs.

At no point in the 2010 season do the Sox add a player that is a DH only.

Juan Pierre and Alex Rios combine to steal over 70 bases.

The Sox pitching staff finishes in the top two in ERA although KW has to make a deal to find a second lefty to replace Randy Williams.

The Sox defense is much improved over last year led by the quartet of Teahen, Ramirez, Beckham and Vizquel providing outstanding infield defense. The outfield is also excellent with Jones playing significant time in RF and Quentin at the DH spot more often.

soxinem1
01-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Teahen. His name is Teahen. A lot of people are ready to pounce on him and Rios already. They better get off to a decent start or it's going to get ugly.

I predict Hudson finds his way into the rotation at some point, and is one of the top AL rookies.

Scrub. His name is scrub. No matter how you spell it.

SOXSINCE'70
01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
The White Sox finish in the top half of the AL in runs scored due to a much more balanced lineup particularly in the bottom third.

The White Sox finish at least 6 games ahead of the second place Twins.

The Sox have 5 starters with 10 wins or more (Garcia included).

Mark Teahen knocks in over 80 runs.

At no point in the 2010 season do the Sox add a player that is a DH only.

Juan Pierre and Alex Rios combine to steal over 70 bases.

The Sox pitching staff finishes in the top two in ERA although KW has to make a deal to find a second lefty to replace Randy Williams.

The Sox defense is much improved over last year led by the quartet of Teahen, Ramirez, Beckham and Vizquel providing outstanding infield defense. The outfield is also excellent with Jones playing significant time in RF and Quentin at the DH spot more often.

Sounds great to me. The hard part is making it happen.

pmck003
01-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Neither Teahen or Rios hit as many homers as Alexei

Rios will go back to what he can do, which is about 290 w/ 20 homers, but he will push 40 sb's w/ a good success rate.

Someone who has more hope that Andruw Jones will be signed to primarily DH

I will remember that Juan Pierre is now on the team

tick53
01-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I look for solid infield improvement with the acquisition of Visquel to help coach Beckham and Ramirez.

Alex Rios will settle into his new home with the Sox.

Peavey to be outstanding. JJ Putz will solidify the pen.

Quentin will be back in his previous form.

Pierre will be the lead-off guy that we've been hoping for and will lead the division in stolen bases.

Save McCuddy's
01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Omar Vizquel will explain to Ozzie that Alexei is not a major league shortstop.

NLaloosh
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM

Yeah, because Ozzie wouldn't know what one looks like. Right.

Craig Grebeck
01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah, because Ozzie wouldn't know what one looks like. Right.
I agree -- Ozzie's been splendid with putting his best defense on the field. Pods in CF with Rios in RF was a dream.

scarsofthumper
01-18-2010, 10:49 PM
0-162

Jim Shorts
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Does HomeFish like anything? Puppies, fresh air, cookies, anything?

tstrike2000
01-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Does HomeFish like anything? Puppies, fresh air, cookies, anything?

Answer is probably no to all those. I'm convinced he's the retired guy up my street who calls the cops on all the neighbors.

As for the Sox, my '10 prediction is division champs.

NLaloosh
01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
I agree -- Ozzie's been splendid with putting his best defense on the field. Pods in CF with Rios in RF was a dream.

Do you know the difference between shortstop and the outfield?

Craig Grebeck
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Do you know the difference between shortstop and the outfield?
I don't think the fact that Ozzie played shortstop means he can automatically evaluate defense at that position.

Edit: There's far more evidence that he doesn't know how to properly handle defense.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Win The Series. :D:

NLaloosh
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't think the fact that Ozzie played shortstop means he can automatically evaluate defense at that position.

Edit: There's far more evidence that he doesn't know how to properly handle defense.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Craig Grebeck
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
You don't know what you're talking about.
Do you want to argue my point or present evidence?

russ99
01-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Yeah right. Not sure which games you're watching....

Maybe some fans here expect the SS to be a robot with perfect range that can make every play.

We had O. Cabrera 2 years ago, he was a top-end defensive SS and Sox fans thought he was a bum.

Alexei played excellent SS last year, albeit with a few mental miscues, which can be improved. His range, footwork and instincts are all above average.

What are we expecting here? Ozzie Smith? :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
01-20-2010, 09:44 AM
I think Rios and Quentin will rebound and be fine for us. Teahen will be average at best for us. Our offense won't be terrible, but it won't be very good either. Our defense will still be a problem.

Starting pitching will be great, though Buehrle will go through rough stretches. The bullpen is a worry. Jenks will continue his downward trend and Putz won't be very good.

Overall, with the roster as it stands today, we'll be a very average team....and maybe that'll be good enough to win the AL Central. But I don't expect Detroit and Minnesota both to just rollover. At any rate, we won't be nearly as good as the better teams in the AL East and West. If the White Sox are seriously going to go with Kotsay and Jones in our everyday lineup as part of a "rotating DH", then this team is not a contender. We'll just have to hope that Jones suddenly reverts to his PEDs days.

Jim Shorts
01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
I think everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with the balance that this team will display. Defense is much better than last year and will surprise a vocal minority here, you also have to consider the starting lineup when looking at the defense. D, will not be a problem in 2010.

Offense, we did lose a bunch of power stats in JD and JT. I think the balance and consistency of this offense will be noteable and has me quite curious. Can it get us all the way? I doubt it, but I had no idea of what 2005 would turn into in spring training that year too.

I still make the Adrian Gonz trade every time it's offered though.

EMachine10
01-20-2010, 11:20 AM
TCQ and Rios will bounce back and have strong seasons (Quentin close to his 2008 form and Rios close to his prime years in Toronto). Bold, I know, but I think it will happen.

Pierre will be the only player on the team capable of bunting and will be a solid contributor.

Teahen will be very average, but if Rios and Quentin return to form and everybody else plays to their capabilities, Teahen won't matter too much.

Hudson moves into the 5th starter spot near midseason following a minor injury to Garcia; debate occurs as to who stays in the rotation.

Jenks proves many wrong here and gets back to form.

Yes, most of this post is suggesting great things from our players, but I can be an optimist if I want to be. :cool: In my opinion, these predictions are not far out of the realm of possibility.

asindc
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
TCQ and Rios will bounce back and have strong seasons (Quentin close to his 2008 form and Rios close to his prime years in Toronto). Bold, I know, but I think it will happen.

Pierre will be the only player on the team capable of bunting and will be a solid contributor.

Teahen will be very average, but if Rios and Quentin return to form and everybody else plays to their capabilities, Teahen won't matter too much.

Hudson moves into the 5th starter spot near midseason following a minor injury to Garcia; debate occurs as to who stays in the rotation.

Jenks proves many wrong here and gets back to form.

Yes, most of this post is suggesting great things from our players, but I can be an optimist if I want to be. :cool: In my opinion, these predictions are not far out of the realm of possibility.

Optimistic, true, but as you say within the realm of possibility and, I would add, certainly foreseeable given the track record of each player mentioned. I should note, though, that your post does not reflect a sufficient degree of panic. Perhaps you should tone down the history-based optimism for now...

NLaloosh
01-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Do you want to argue my point or present evidence?

No. That's what I'm saying. I don't want to waste my time having a discussion with someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Jim Shorts
01-20-2010, 09:12 PM
No. That's what I'm saying. I don't want to waste my time having a discussion with someone that doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's his standard M.O. Grabeck never let's an opportunity to trash Ozzie pass by.

Craig Grebeck
01-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, then enlighten me. If you're taking the "you don't know jack" route, might as well at least tell me what you know. Or tell the rest of the forum, for that matter.

It's his standard M.O. Grabeck never let's an opportunity to trash Ozzie pass by.
I think there are some things Ozzie does well. I think there are some things he doesn't do well. Funny, innit?

Craig Grebeck
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Welp, since I challenged NL to state his case and he has yet to, I might as well state mine.

Ozzie doesn't really know much about defense, or defensive alignment. Some of this is on the organization, but Ozzie has done little to display much, if any, of an understanding of defense. I just want someone to tell me why I'm wrong to think Mackowiak had no business in CF, why Griffey had no business in CF, why Podsednik had no business in CF, etc.

Jim Shorts
01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Welp, since I challenged NL to state his case and he has yet to, I might as well state mine.

Ozzie doesn't really know much about defense, or defensive alignment. Some of this is on the organization, but Ozzie has done little to display much, if any, of an understanding of defense. I just want someone to tell me why I'm wrong to think Mackowiak had no business in CF, why Griffey had no business in CF, why Podsednik had no business in CF, etc.

That's a staffing issue more so than a positional placement issue...is that the basis of your continuous slams of Ozzie?

Craig Grebeck
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
That's a staffing issue more so than a positional placement issue...is that the basis of your continuous slams of Ozzie?
I slam him when he says/does stupid things, like decry the designated hitter and bunt before the late innings. Sometimes he makes stupid defensive assignments -- like Griffey in CF.

It is not staffing when there are positive alternatives not being used.

asindc
01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
I slam him when he says/does stupid things, like decry the designated hitter and bunt before the late innings. Sometimes he makes stupid defensive assignments -- like Griffey in CF.

It is not staffing when there are positive alternatives not being used.

OK, I'll bite: Where would you have played Griffey, and who would you have played in CF instead?

Craig Grebeck
01-21-2010, 03:44 PM
OK, I'll bite: Where would you have played Griffey, and who would you have played in CF instead?
Well, pre-September is on Kenny for such a horrid acquisition. September is on Ozzie for playing Wise (a far superior CF than Griffey) in LF.

Domeshot17
01-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Rios comes back to OK, hits about 275 with 18 homers, 37 doubles, 80 rbis, OPS just under .800.

Alexei continues to be unimpressive, gives us a very pedestrian .277 16 homers 60 rbis from the SS position.

Beckham has a very good year, .285 38 doubles 21 homers 92 rbis, leads offense is most categories.

Konerko's age continues to set in, 268 23 82

Quentin leads the team in homers but manages only 430 at bats as he fights more injuries. Finishes 260 31 89

The Vizquel/Jones/Kotsay DH rotation gives us a 241 average, 11 homers, 42 rbis and a sub 700 ops

Teahen continues to be average at best offensive and defensively. Hits 270 with 12 homers 31 doubles, plays average D, doesn't shell Buehrle.

Rotation is fantastic, would have 2 20 game winners (Danks and Peavy) if the offense would score runs, however, those 2 combine for 30 wins, not 40.

Bullpen is shockingly good. Jenks has a very strong bounceback year. Putz looks good. Tony Pena finds a little of what made him not terrible in AZ

Utlimately, The Sox win 84 games, finish 2nd behind the twins who win the division with 88 wins. The offense is not as bad as last year, but doesn't have a 900 ops hitter or a .300 average hitter.

asindc
01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Well, pre-September is on Kenny for such a horrid acquisition. September is on Ozzie for playing Wise (a far superior CF than Griffey) in LF.

I can see that. For the record, I was never for the Griffey signing, either, as I did not see it improving the team. I actually think the Sox would have won about 92 games in 2008 without Griffey if either Contreras and TCQ doesn't get injured for the season.

JermaineDye05
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Jake Peavy will strike out 15 Cubs when he first pitches against them in a Sox uniform. This is of course assuming his spot comes up in the 6 games.

Save McCuddy's
01-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Alexei continues to butcher short stop, the DH platoon is as awful as some predict and ozzie finally loses his mind and job by the all-Star break.

harwar
01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
i look for Alexi Ramirez to have a solid year defensively with the aid of Omar Vizquel .. i think he greatly missed Orlando Cabrera playing to his right when he was at second .. Gordon Beckham wastes no time in becoming the perennial all star that most think he will be, with a great year offensively and almost unnoticed is his solid play at second base .. by the all star break everyone is admitting that we have the best starting rotation in all of baseball with Dan Hudson taking Freddy Garcia's spot in early june .. Carlos Quentin and Alex Rios both have a very good year, on offense and defense .. Omar Vizquel and Andrew Jones are great disappointments to those that thought they might do well .. Juan Pierre does an adequate job .. Ken Williams trades for Adrian Gonzalez at the all star break ..