PDA

View Full Version : Cubs looking at Dye

cws05champ
01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
They do know there's no DH in the NL right? He would be an upgrade in defense in LF over Soriano, which is sad. I hope this is strictly a rumor...I would hate to see JD in a Cubs uniform.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-14-cubs-bits-chicago-jan14,0,1028155.story

esbrechtel
01-14-2010, 03:04 PM
He was also talking with the padres....I think he can still play the field (on a limited basis) but I think he is definitely better served as a DH

All that said it would be sad to watch him in a cub uniform...

Chez
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Any team but the Cubs, JD. PLEASE.

GoGoCrede
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
That would really sting in a Joe-Crede-is-a-Twin kind of way.

central44
01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't really understand why the Cubs would make this move just to platoon JD...before dropping off in the second half, he was having a really strong year. Hell, i'd rather have him playing everyday over Soriano, but if they have as little flexibility as they say they do, this hardly seems like a pressing need for them.

The rumors about Contreras bug me even more--if he struggles for the Cubs, I can't imagine how bad the booing will be at Wrigley. But in any case, it sucks to even imagine a cornerstone of the 05 team playing there. Hopefully both of them end up somewhere else.

Rohan
01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Please... That's just too much.

Red Barchetta
01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Remember, we're talking about a team who took a DH (Milton Bradley) and put him right field! :rolleyes:

Rdy2PlayBall
01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I would set up a little Dye-jersey burning kind of thing like Wisconsin did for Favre. :whiner:

Soxman219
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Please don't let this happen. It would hurt so much that a World Series hero goes to the hated blue. Hell, I was angry when Cotts went to the Cubs.

GoGoCrede
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I would set up a little Dye-jersey burning kind of thing like Wisconsin did for Favre. :whiner:

That's a waste of money. Dye needs work somewhere, can't blame him if he does take the job.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
That's a waste of money. Dye needs work somewhere, can't blame him if he does take the job.I'm sure a ton of teams want him. Maybe not a money-throwing away kind of team like the Cubs, but ones that at least has nicer fans. A last season drop-off by any Cubs player has a chance of suicide from the treatment they get.

GoGoCrede
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm sure a ton of teams want him. Maybe not a money-throwing away kind of team like the Cubs, but ones that at least has nicer fans. A last season drop-off by any Cubs player has a chance of suicide from the treatment they get.

Maybe a lot of teams don't. My point is, there's no need to burn his jersey. It will sting, yes, but I won't boo the guy for taking a job, especially in this market. He's still our MVP.

WhiteSox1989
01-14-2010, 08:26 PM
It would suck almost as much as seeing Crede in a Twins uniform did.

But no matter where he lands, I'll still root for him.

hi im skot
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM

Dumb.

LITTLE NELL
01-14-2010, 08:31 PM
If he ends up with the Cubs, so be it. We dumped him and he is free to go where he wants. I don't know what happened to him in the 2nd half in 09 but I think he still has a couple of years left as a DH not as an outfielder, sometimes it looks like he is running in quicksand.

doublem23
01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
That's a waste of money. Dye needs work somewhere, can't blame him if he does take the job.

I agree. It doesn't ruin my memories of Robin Ventura that he played several years with the Yankees. If the Cubs want to pay more for Jermaine than anyone else wants to, he'd be a fool not to take it.

Jermaine was a key member on the team that already gave us the greatest gift as fans. He's in no debt to us any more.

Just go easy on us those 6 times per year. :cool:

GoGoCrede
01-14-2010, 08:39 PM

With our luck he'll join the ranks of ex-Sox players who become Sox killers. :whiner::smile: Good luck, JD. Thanks for the memories.

DrCrawdad
01-14-2010, 08:50 PM
If he ends up with the Cubs, so be it. We dumped him and he is free to go where he wants...

...Dye needs work somewhere, can't blame him if he does take the job.

...If the Cubs want to pay more for Jermaine than anyone else wants to, he'd be a fool not to take it.

Jermaine was a key member on the team that already gave us the greatest gift as fans. He's in no debt to us any more.

I agree. If Dye signs with the Cubbies, so be it.

Save McCuddy's
01-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Dye to the Cubs is a frightening thought. Thank God Henry hasn't been very good at his job of late, or he'd have already signed JD.

Imagine the #'s he could put up in the NL -- Wrigley on top of it.

cws05champ
01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Dye will probably get a 4 year deal from Hendry :D:

rdwj
01-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I'd rather see him on any other team.

slavko
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Remember, we're talking about a team who took a DH (Milton Bradley) and put him right field! :rolleyes:

So did we. You did see JD play RF the last several years? Painful. Seriously, I wish him the best and that includes playing for the Cubs. He deserves my respect and he has it regardless.

WSox597
01-15-2010, 07:48 AM
I'd sure hate to see JD wearing that clown suit, but you really can't blame him for taking it if they offer him big bucks.

As they always say, it is a business.

If he played regularly, he'd probably hit 40 HRs there. Wonder how many would go over the basket and be REAL HRs?

SOXPHILE
01-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but I just heard Tailgunner Joe on Mulley & Hanley, and he said Dye probably would not go to the Cubs, because he is not looking to sign with a team just to be a DH or part time player.

kittle42
01-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but I just heard Tailgunner Joe on Mulley & Hanley, and he said Dye probably would not go to the Cubs, because he is not looking to sign with a team just to be a DH or part time player.

Makes no sense. He would be neither of those on the Cubs.

oeo
01-16-2010, 04:40 AM
Makes no sense. He would be neither of those on the Cubs.

He would have to be a part time player. The already have Soriano, Byrd, and Fukudome. Two of the three are making quite a bit to be benched for Dye.

SoxFan1979
01-16-2010, 08:00 AM
My cousin big flub fan text me today said what do you think if JD came to the cubs. Didn't think he was serious. Guess I was wrong.

No I can't see him in a flubs uni but if JD is happy with the pay and playing on the northside so be it. Sox let him go but he wanted to stay.

Everybody in Chicago knows when JD leaves the game he will always be remembered as a White Sox.

Zisk77
01-16-2010, 08:34 AM
With our luck he'll join the ranks of ex-Sox players who become Sox killers. :whiner::smile: Good luck, JD. Thanks for the memories.

well he was one before he put on a sox uniform...

cheezheadsoxfan
01-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Big difference in story line between Favre and JD. I'd hate to see it but can't blame JD. He wants to play.

Brian26
01-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Sox let him go but he wanted to stay.

JD let himself go. We can only judge what we see on the field, which was an abysmal, heartless performance by JD in the 2nd half. But, I'm always conscious of things that we as fans may not see in the clubhouse behind closed doors. Couple that 2nd half on-field performance with a lousy attitude in the lockerroom, and you have your reason why Dye isn't coming back.

Look at the Peavy article and compare Jake's attitude now about winning with Dye's body language in the 2nd half of '09.

LongLiveFisk
01-16-2010, 11:57 AM
If he ends up with the Cubs, so be it. We dumped him and he is free to go where he wants.

Exactly. And Dye is not from Chicago, so this whole Sox/Cubs rivalry thing does not exist for him the way it does for us. He is going to play where he thinks the money and opportunity are best for him, period.

soltrain21
01-16-2010, 12:15 PM
JD let himself go. We can only judge what we see on the field, which was an abysmal, heartless performance by JD in the 2nd half. But, I'm always conscious of things that we as fans may not see in the clubhouse behind closed doors. Couple that 2nd half on-field performance with a lousy attitude in the lockerroom, and you have your reason why Dye isn't coming back.

Look at the Peavy article and compare Jake's attitude now about winning with Dye's body language in the 2nd half of '09.

Yep, Dye took his ball and went home in the second half of the season. Threw a hissy fit when they traded for Rios.

kittle42
01-16-2010, 01:10 PM
He would have to be a part time player. The already have Soriano, Byrd, and Fukudome. Two of the three are making quite a bit to be benched for Dye.

Oh, yeah - forgot about that Byrd fellow. Well, after Soriano gets hurt during the first week, Dye would get plenty of playing time!

asindc
01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Yep, Dye took his ball and went home in the second half of the season. Threw a hissy fit when they traded for Rios.

I'm as big a fan of Dye as anybody, and I agree with this. That said, he did repeatedly and publicly state that he wanted to come back. His not being here is on the Sox, not him. For that reason, I would harbor no ill will towards him if he accepts a job with the Cubs. I don't expect that he will, though.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-16-2010, 05:33 PM

Personally, I'd rather see him on the Cubs before the Twins, Tigers, or Indians.

Craig Grebeck
01-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Personally, I'd rather see him on the Cubs before the Twins, Tigers, or Indians.
If he's playing the field, I'd love him in the division. What a godawful outfielder.

LoveYourSuit
01-16-2010, 05:49 PM
If he's playing the field, I'd love him in the division. What a godawful outfielder.

Quentin in RF will be probably as bad.

Craig Grebeck
01-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Quentin in RF will be probably as bad.
Doubtful, but irrelevant. Will he be good? No. Does he have two legs? Yes.

veeter
01-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Quentin in RF will be probably as bad.I'm really anxious to see him out there. We may see Rios in right from time to time, and Pierre in center.

JermaineDye05
01-16-2010, 06:01 PM

Even the Twins, Royals, Indians, or Tigers?

Frankly I'd rather JD go to the Cubs or any team not in the AL Central so we don't have to worry about him. If I remember correctly, he was a Sox killer before he signed with us in 2004.

DonnieDarko
01-16-2010, 06:53 PM

I only vaguely remember hearing of that last year. So it was proven to be true? I don't see why, considering Rios plays CF much more often than he does RF...

Woofer
01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Doubtful, but irrelevant. Will he be good? No. Does he have two legs? Yes.

The same Carlos Quentin plagued last year with foot problems?

Redus Redux
01-16-2010, 11:25 PM

Sounds like it's all but certain that Dye will have an awful '10 and Peavy wont.

Frankly, you can look at both guys and say of the two, Dye is the only one that had an above-average extended stretch at some point during the 09 year. Peavy gets an incomplete but while healthy early in the year he was basically a slightly-above-decent pitcher, no better. I say this factoring in the NL (with Petco too).

How quickly we forget that at July 18, Dye was .302/.377/.574....meanwhile the 2nd half slump is seen around here as something that could never be bounced back from. Whereas we see Paulie do 1.5 year long slumps and then bounce back.

Save McCuddy's
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Dye was nothing but a class act for us from the day he signed. The inference that he had a "hissy fit" when kenny traded for Rios and therefore tanked the second half of the season is nonsense. He knows that this a business and it wouldn't have been likely that he was going to be retained for the 10 plus million in his contract even if he carried us all the way to a division title. Not in the current market place.

Regardless of whether Dye felt threatened by the Rios addition, he was going into an option year and would have willed himself to put up good second half numbers for no other reason than his own future if not for the good of the ball club. It just wasn't in the cards for him or the Sox down the stretch.

I'll concede that he went on record with his lack of interest in Dh'ing (a stance which he has since reversed) but that is a far cry from a hissy fit. This thing just boiled down to business and he wasn't a smart sign for us at his option price. I would take him back in a second at a deal that makes financial sense as he is a much better bet to produce in the DH/4th outfielder role than Andruw Jones is.

guillensdisciple
01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I love Dye, but I do not advise that he makes a move to the N.L. Playing on the field everyday will prove to be very detrimental to a guy that is hitting the latter stages of his career. A place in the A.L where he can be a dh/ outfielder will work out best.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2010, 04:10 PM
For what it's worth I do recall two newspaper stories quoted Dye as saying that he didn't understand what the Sox were doing regarding the acquisition of Rios.

Now granted, the comments may have been positioned to make him look bad but my initial reaction when reading the stories was that he was upset at the deal and upset the Sox hadn't renegotiated an extension.

Lip

Stoky44
01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
What makes no sense to me is he stated he doesn't want to primarily be a DH, he wants to play in the field. He went so far as to say he can play 1B. However, he will sign on with a team, maybe the Cubs, to be a 4th OF? Where is the logic?:scratch: That would mean even less playing time.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Stoky:

It's called the realities of the market and the fact that playing some of the time beats not playing ever.

Lip

Stoky44
01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Stoky:

It's called the realities of the market and the fact that playing some of the time beats not playing ever.

Lip

So being a DH would be even more playing time then a 4th OF, so I don't get your logic.

Save McCuddy's
01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
For what it's worth I do recall two newspaper stories quoted Dye as saying that he didn't understand what the Sox were doing regarding the acquisition of Rios.

Now granted, the comments may have been positioned to make him look bad but my initial reaction when reading the stories was that he was upset at the deal and upset the Sox hadn't renegotiated an extension.

Lip

No doubt. I'm sure JD was upset that he didn't get an negotiated extension and the Rios acquisition was likely a straw on that camel's back. However, I have trouble believing that his displeasure turned him into a clubhouse cancer. If he were to resign with us after the market and not just the Sox has spoken as to what his value is he is a good bet to resume the quality citizenship we knew in the past.

doublem23
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Sox let him go but he wanted to stay.

I'm sure totally not related to the fact that the Sox would have had to pay him $12 M next year to retain his services.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Stoky:

You said it yourself, he doesn't want to DH...therefore he'd rather go to a team where he can at least play the field some of the time, than either not play at all or simply be a DH.

FYI, today on Chicago Tribune Live, Paul Sullivan said the two sides are talking but it really isn't a good fit.

Lip

asindc
01-18-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm sure totally not related to the fact that the Sox would have had to pay him $12 M next year to retain his services.

I remember reading comments from Dye that suggested that he knew they would buy out his contract but expressed a willingness to come back at a reduced salary.

NLaloosh
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm hearing that the flubbies are actually considering moving Soriano back to second base!

I hope they do it.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
FYI, today on Chicago Tribune Live, Paul Sullivan said the two sides are talking but it really isn't a good fit.

This morning's WGN newscast told the story like it just broke - and Tomasulo's comments were based on how bad the Cubs situation is, Dye could see playing time in BOTH corner OF's.

RTI_SoxFan
01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
This isn't official, is it? A guy at work keeps talking smack about this and I can't find anything definitive.

doublem23
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
This isn't official, is it? A guy at work keeps talking smack about this and I can't find anything definitive.

No, on the WGN morning news, they said they might not reach an agreement until Spring Training, if at all.

veeter
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
This isn't official, is it? A guy at work keeps talking smack about this and I can't find anything definitive.What would he be talking smack about, anyway? The fact that the cubs want White Sox cast-offs?

Craig Grebeck
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
What would he be talking smack about, anyway? The fact that the cubs want White Sox cast-offs?
While I think Dye is pretty much worthless at this point in his career -- as his defense negates whatever offensive value remains -- I can see why fans would talk smack. Dye's a White Sox legend, WS MVP, etc.

asindc
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
What would he be talking smack about, anyway? The fact that the cubs want White Sox cast-offs?

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Sox had an option on Dye, declined to exercise it, Dye expressed hope that he could re-sign with the Sox for less money anyway, the Sox have declined (so far) to offer such a deal, and now the Cubs are wooing him to play corner OF. If anything, a Cubs fan should approach this sequence of events with humility.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-19-2010, 10:59 AM
No, on the WGN morning news, they said they might not reach an agreement until Spring Training, if at all.

Double - that must've been said later on in the newscast - when I saw the 5:45AM read, they didn't say that. Tomasulo did say the Sox "discarded" Dye.

soxinem1
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
They do know there's no DH in the NL right? He would be an upgrade in defense in LF over Soriano, which is sad. I hope this is strictly a rumor...I would hate to see JD in a Cubs uniform.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-14-cubs-bits-chicago-jan14,0,1028155.story

No biggie. He'll be ready for interleague play AND the World Series!!

veeter
01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
While I think Dye is pretty much worthless at this point in his career -- as his defense negates whatever offensive value remains -- I can see why fans would talk smack. Dye's a White Sox legend, WS MVP, etc.It just falls into line what cub fans like to "talk smack" about. Great seasons they're GOING to have, great players they're GOING to get, and my favorite...Championships they're GOING to win.

RadioheadRocks
01-19-2010, 07:18 PM

It just falls into line what cub fans like to "talk smack" about. Great seasons they're GOING to have, great players they're GOING to get, and my favorite...Championships they're GOING to win.

For some strange reason Cub fans are big trash-talkers despite not winning jack **** in over 100 years, that's been established.

Frater Perdurabo
01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
While I think Dye is pretty much worthless at this point in his career...

I don't know if I'd go so far to call him "worthless." If Dye were willing to take $3 million or less for one year, I'd sign him to split DH and RF duties with Quentin. I'd rather have a left-handed hitter, but we could do worse than Dye in that role.

dickallen15
01-19-2010, 08:35 PM
The first half of last year, Dye was hitting over .300 with 20 homers and an OPS around .950. I doubt he totally lost it. The problem with Dye is he doesn't think he's a DH and you throw him into that role he will not thrive unless he accepts what he is. If he does that, I'm sure he has a couple of productive seasons left.

Rockabilly
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
it looks like the Cubs are very close to signing a OF. Dye is in the mix of players rumor to be going to the Cubs

doublem23
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
it looks like the Cubs are very close to signing a OF. Dye is in the mix of players rumor to be going to the Cubs

In other breaking news, I would not take that trip to Haiti you're planning next week. Bad **** is about to go down. Bad ****.

#1swisher
01-26-2010, 11:54 AM

If this happens, maybe I'll enjoy some Cubs games. Good Luck JD!

Sam Spade
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
His defense is extremely underrated on this site. He is slow, yes, but he gets good reads, has a great glove, and a solid arm. He'd be above average in left.

Sargeant79
01-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Looks like Xavier Nady is their guy, not Dye.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/cubs-close-to-landing-an-outfielder-.html

thedudeabides
01-26-2010, 12:58 PM
His defense is extremely underrated on this site. He is slow, yes, but he gets good reads, has a great glove, and a solid arm. He'd be above average in left.

Sorry, but you are off on this one. He has zero range left, and his arm is still strong, but is getting more and more innacurate as the years go by. He was the worst everyday right fileder in baseball last year.

veeter
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Looks like Xavier Nady is their guy, not Dye.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/cubs-close-to-landing-an-outfielder-.htmlPoor guy.

#1swisher
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Poor guy.

How much $ did Dye want?

asindc
01-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Poor guy.

Are you talking about Dye, or Nady?

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Are you talking about Dye, or Nady?

Dye for not landing a job (yet).

Nady for signing with the Cubs.

asindc
01-26-2010, 02:28 PM

That's what I figured.

soxinem1
01-27-2010, 11:15 AM

Scouts must really, really be down on Dye.

All the more motovation for him to have something to prove, wherever he may go.

DaveFeelsRight
01-29-2010, 05:23 PM
An MLB executive tells ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/8382914621) that Jermaine Dye (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dyeje01.shtml) turned down $3.3MM from the Cubs before they signed Xavier Nady (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nadyxa01.shtml) for the same price (Twitter link).

way to go dye!

asindc
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
An MLB executive tells ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (http://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/8382914621) that Jermaine Dye (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dyeje01.shtml) turned down $3.3MM from the Cubs before they signed Xavier Nady (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nadyxa01.shtml) for the same price (Twitter link).

way to go dye!

Could explain why the Sox haven't moved on him, if they are interested at all.

The Dude
01-29-2010, 06:14 PM

way to go dye!

3.3 million for either of them is an absolute joke!!!! I wouldn't take them at 1.5 million

russ99
01-29-2010, 08:01 PM
3.3 million for either of them is an absolute joke!!!! I wouldn't take them at 1.5 million

Jermaine's got to face reality. He can't command over 3.3 million unless incentives account for a decent part of that and that he should be open to DH since his legs aren't what they used to be.

I'm glad he's not with the Cubs, but Dye better wake up or he'll be sitting at home this spring.

Brian26
01-29-2010, 08:03 PM
All things being equal, I can't understand how the Yankees can sign 35-yr old Randy Winn for $2 million and not at least consider taking a chance on JD for $3-3.5.

asindc
01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
All things being equal, I can't understand how the Yankees can sign 35-yr old Randy Winn for $2 million and not at least consider taking a chance on JD for $3-3.5.

In an article about the Winn signing and declining on Damon, it was mentioned that the Yanks went into this offseason wanting to keep the payroll below $200 million. It is the reason they passed on Winn. Boras is now trying to paint the Yanks as the villians when all indications are that he overplayed his hand. He first demanded $13 million a year, then $10 million a year, and then $7 million. It seems that the Yanks are tiring of Boras' act.

Frater Perdurabo
01-29-2010, 09:32 PM
I'd offer Dye the $3.5 million and the opportunity to share RF and DH duties with Quentin.

Brian26
01-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Dye also should keep in mind the Sox have already paid him $950,000 for 2010 whether he laces up a pair of spikes or not.

Hell of a dropoff for Thome and Dye, though, from 2009 and 2010. Last year, they made a combined $24.5 million. So far for '10, Thome is signed for $1.5 mil plus $750,000 max incentives, and Dye's going to make the Sox $950,000 buyout plus whatever he signs for before Spring Training.

white sox bill
01-30-2010, 04:13 PM
that the Yanks went into this offseason wanting to keep the payroll below $200 million. .

Makes you wonder how dooo they keep a fan base with such low payroll!

Taliesinrk
01-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Do others here believe that the Sox going with "what we have" is better than signing Dye at 3 mil? Don't get me wrong, I think the Sox really need a LH-hitter, but they also need a power bat, and if Dye primarily DHs, you'd hope he wouldn't have quite as much drop-off. Again, it's not ideal for what the Sox need (and it would complicate Jones' role - even though he can play CF), but comparatively to what we have, isn't it better?

Dye had a rough 2nd half last year, but I don't think he's done. When you look at some others in the league making 3 mil., I'd think this isn't the worst the Sox could do.

PalehosePlanet
01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Do others here believe that the Sox going with "what we have" is better than signing Dye at 3 mil? Don't get me wrong, I think the Sox really need a LH-hitter, but they also need a power bat, and if Dye primarily DHs, you'd hope he wouldn't have quite as much drop-off. Again, it's not ideal for what the Sox need (and it would complicate Jones' role - even though he can play CF), but comparatively to what we have, isn't it better?

Dye had a rough 2nd half last year, but I don't think he's done. When you look at some others in the league making 3 mil., I'd think this isn't the worst the Sox could do.

But if he wouldn't accept 3.3 from the Cubs AND they would have had him in the OF every day, what makes you think that he would take the same money from us and primarily DH?

He insists on bigger money AND he still fancies himself an everyday OF'er. That's a big problem.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Dye also should keep in mind the Sox have already paid him $950,000 for 2010 whether he laces up a pair of spikes or not.
Heck, they could pay me half that much to not play baseball!

Glad to hear Jermaine turned down the Cubs. I'd hate for another favorite player to force me to root against him by going to a team I despise. Black Jack to the Yankees, Maggs to the Tigers, Big Frank to Oakland, Crede and Thome to the Twins...seeing Dye in Cubbie blue might've pushed me over the edge.

beasly213
01-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Its possible it wasn't the money that JD turned down it was the fact that he would be the 4th outfielder for the Cubs.

Taliesinrk
01-30-2010, 06:17 PM
But if he wouldn't accept 3.3 from the Cubs AND they would have had him in the OF every day, what makes you think that he would take the same money from us and primarily DH?

He insists on bigger money AND he still fancies himself an everyday OF'er. That's a big problem.

A couple points of issue here:

1. I read that while they were talking, Dye's place with the Cubs would not have been everyday. He would have been used to spell the corner OFs with a chance for more if one of them started playing poorly.

2. He turned down that much from the Cubs. Not from the Sox. I believe (and think it's been reported) that Dye would take less from the Sox than from other teams.

sunofgold
01-31-2010, 12:44 AM
What would Jermaine do? Time is running out and I don't see a spot for him right now. Especially if he wants to be a full time player.

Maybe he could wait it out. Injuries will happen during the season and then a team could come calling. Like the White Sox called upon Pods last year.

However, Dye wouldn't receive too much money in that situation. Maybe he should just take a spot as the fourth outfielder somewhere. Then, try to outplay somebody for a spot.