PDA

View Full Version : Marlins agree to increase payroll

eriqjaffe
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4819982

FarmerAndy
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I think the other 29 teams should be the ones who are embarrassed, because every year the Marlins seem to manage a winning record with that tiny payroll.

Scottiehaswheels
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Could be trouble... Overpaying for mediocrity will have a boosting effect on actual good players, once again making them available only to NY/Boston.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Farmer Andy:

Just FYI. Florida has had six winning seasons in team history (they started in 1993).

Five of those have come in the just concluded decade.

Lip

jabrch
01-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I think the other 29 teams should be the ones who are embarrassed, because every year the Marlins seem to manage a winning record with that tiny payroll.

Every year?

In the past 10 years, they have been over .500 5 times. They have never won their division and only made the post season once.

How is that embarassing to other teams?

Boondock Saint
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
They can finally afford that bat boy that everyone's been talking about!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Every year?

In the past 10 years, they have been over .500 5 times. They have never won their division and only made the post season once.

They've never won their division, yet they have 2 World Series titles.

I'd take that.

SOXfnNlansing
01-12-2010, 10:57 PM
they've never won their division, yet they have 2 world series titles.

I'd take that.

+1

ewokpelts
01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
why do they need to get the unions' approval? as long as they adhrere to mlb rules, they can build thier roster any way they see fit...

jabrch
01-13-2010, 06:49 AM
They've never won their division, yet they have 2 World Series titles.

I'd take that.

I'm sure you would - would you also take the number of completely miserable teams they had - where management dumped every player they had of value and walked into a season with absolutely no chance?

And the answer is...no.

Sox fans get pissy when we have one bad year. If we strung 5 in a row, where we weren't in contention for the division, people would be going nuts.

Winning a WS is somewhat fluky. It relies on winnning 3 short serieses. But in the past 10 years we won 3 divisions and finished second 3 times. We only had 2 bad seasons in that time frame. You take your Florida Marlins and be happy.

doublem23
01-13-2010, 07:28 AM
why do they need to get the unions' approval? as long as they adhrere to mlb rules, they can build thier roster any way they see fit...

There are benefits to being represented by the strongest labor union in the world.

FarmerAndy
01-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Every year?

They've been over .500 5 times in the last 7 years, and have as many championships as we do in the past decade. I don't think their fans are suffering. And seeing as how they've had the lowest payroll in baseball for most of those seasons, I'd say it's no small feat. That's not easy to pull off.

Nobody is trying to say the Marlins are a better organization than the White Sox. But they are working under completely different circumstances than we are. And you can't deny that they have been fairly successful when you consider what they're working with.

It just bugs me that they always seem to be the target when people want to complain about teams being cheap. They might be cheap, but dollar for dollar they get more bang for their buck than anybody. They have some really smart baseball people in that organization, and other teams could take a few notes. I'm much more angered by teams like The Royals, Pirates, and Nationals. They spend more than the Marlins and they consistently suck because they aren't smart at all about the money they do spend. These organizations are the riff-raff, not Florida.

soxinem1
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm sure you would - would you also take the number of completely miserable teams they had - where management dumped every player they had of value and walked into a season with absolutely no chance?

And the answer is...no.

Sox fans get pissy when we have one bad year. If we strung 5 in a row, where we weren't in contention for the division, people would be going nuts.

Winning a WS is somewhat fluky. It relies on winnning 3 short serieses. But in the past 10 years we won 3 divisions and finished second 3 times. We only had 2 bad seasons in that time frame. You take your Florida Marlins and be happy.

These were two of the most expensive teams in White Sox history, hence the argument about over-spending on mediocrity.

Additionally, those second place finishes were not too much to brag about, as we were not even close to contending for Wild Card slots.

Overall I do agree about FLA not being a model of how to run your organization, yet you cannot totally blame them either. Their fans sure have not supported them much to put them in the position to build championship teams to encore the World Series winners. Other than playoff games, fan support of the Marlins has been pathetic.

thedudeabides
01-13-2010, 02:41 PM
These were two of the most expensive teams in White Sox history, hence the argument about over-spending on mediocrity.

Additionally, those second place finishes were not too much to brag about, as we were not even close to contending for Wild Card slots.

Overall I do agree about FLA not being a model of how to run your organization, yet you cannot totally blame them either. Their fans sure have not supported them much to put them in the position to build championship teams to encore the World Series winners. Other than playoff games, fan support of the Marlins has been pathetic.

Keep in mind they are usually the most profitable team in MLB. That's why people give them a hard time. And then Loria cons a depressed city into paying for a new stadium.

veeter
01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
They MUST have some very good baseball people from the scouting and player development standpoint. If they had stable ownership, willing to spend a little money, they'd be really scary. I think they've been really successful.

ewokpelts
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Hanley Ramirez was given a 70 million dollar extension. They obviously want to create a new core to win in the east around him, but are enjoying teh fact that they have salary control over their younger players as of right now.
i dont see the problem.

the union should be more pissed at teams like oakland purposely trying to be cheap.

FarmerAndy
01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
The Marlins have a practice of not paying millions of dollars to players who are just a bit above average. And I think it's a great philosophy.

If you have an outfielder who can hit 20 home runs, eventually they will command 4-5-6-7 million dollars on the market. The Marlins, who also do a great job at maintaining a strong farm system, realize that they can probably bring up somebody who will be similarly productive at the league minimim. Why pay millions of dollars for a Jeremy Hermida when you could probably get comprable production from somebody at 500K???

But in the case of somebody like Hanley, they see that he is well worth the money and they pay up.

Superstar players who put up superstar numbers are well worth the money. But the reason major league payrolls are so high is because teams pay millions of dollars to players who are average to slightly above average.

And to the idea that they just dump their good players when they don't want to pay........... They always get great return, which is part of why they always have a good crop of young talent coming up. Look at Dan Uggla right now. Everybody knows the Marlins have been trying to move him. But if they were just being cheap, he'd be gone by now. The fact is, nobody has been willing to give them what they want for him, so they haven't moved him. They'll just keep him and pay him if they can't get what they feel is good return. They don't just give away good players to save money.

As far as revenue sharing - Yep, the Marlins get a bunch of money. They didn't design that system. That system was designed because teams like the Royals and Pirates cry about how teams in their markets just can't compete with the likes of the Yankees because they just can't afford to. If anything, the Marlins have proven what a load of crap that is. Those other teams can't compete because thay are simply bad at running a baseball team.

So as long as they field competitive teams, I have no problem with the Marlins turning a profit, even with the handouts they receive. That's business. If you don't like it, place the blame where it belongs - with the teams who are too inept to be competitive. They are why the baseball wellfare system exists.

soxinem1
01-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Keep in mind they are usually the most profitable team in MLB. That's why people give them a hard time. And then Loria cons a depressed city into paying for a new stadium.

And didn't Reinsdorf and dozens of other owners do the same thing??:scratch::?::o::angry:

Marqhead
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Josh Johnson will be taking some of that extra money.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4826840

4 years, 39 mil.

Madscout
01-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Every year?

I would take a .500 average on winning with the attendance they have for 2 world series wins in the past 15 years. There are teams that have been around for a century that haven't won 2 WS wins in the past 15 years.

PalehosePlanet
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
They MUST have some very good baseball people from the scouting and player development standpoint. If they had stable ownership, willing to spend a little money, they'd be really scary. I think they've been really successful.

Keep in mind that when they did win the WS they were not frugal. They had a high payroll (for that time) in '97 and an average size payroll in '03.

Lip Man 1
01-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Pale:

They did for one year. That was the plan according to a story in Sports Illustrated, to bring in every big gun they could, win a World Series and then dump everyone.

It happened exactly that way.

Lip