PDA

View Full Version : Sox re-sign Castro

Sockinchisox
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
1 mil, with an option for 2011.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/7680733527

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Looks like we got our backup C for A.J. Was there really anyone else better out there?

spawn
01-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Interesting...Either this is a prelude to another move, or Flowers will be spending next season in AAA.

DirtySox
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Interesting. He could be caddying for Flowers next year it seems. If Flowers isn't traded that is.

VeeckAsInWreck
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Interesting...Either this is a prelude to another move, or Flowers will be spending next season in AAA.

I actually prefer that. It's better for him to get his at-bats and stay sharp rather than to wither on the bench.

voodoochile
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM

That's for the best. This is a simple and good decision. He will be a better backup next year because he will be settled and he will know the pitchers already.

spawn
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM
That's for the best. This is a simple and good decision. He will be a better backup next year because he will be settled and he will know the pitchers already.
If he's not traded, I agree with you completely.

sox1970
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM

I don't think Flowers had much of a chance to make the team out of spring training either way.

He didn't play a full season at Charlotte. He'll play there for a few months, and then if he's doing ok, he'll come up and Castro will be gone.

salty99
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree let Flowers have a full season at AAA instead of sitting on the bench 85% of the time.

TheOldRoman
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting people irrationally blowing up about this signing.

Not too bad a deal. There really wasn't much out there in terms of backup catcher. Our bench is set now, and from the looks of it there is only one opening on the team.

voodoochile
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM

I don't think they can sign him and then immediately trade him. I thought they had to wait until 6/1 to move him after signing a new contract. I don't know if this was an pre-arbitration signing though either and that might change the dynamics.

voodoochile
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
AJ might be gone after this season, Flowers might be the starter in 2011.

I mean this coming season, not 2011 and there is no guarantee that AJ won't be back on a new contract. Everyone assumes Flowers will take over, but he might get traded and they might sign AJ to another 3 year extension.

JermaineDye05
01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
It's better than having Flowers be the backup. He should be starting, not wasting his time on the bench. Let Tyler start at AAA and if he's ready later in the season, do what you did with Beckham. Of course that would mean that AJ would either have to be traded or be moved to the bench which I don't see happening.

When is AJ's contract up?

Sockinchisox
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
When is AJ's contract up?

After this season.

DirtySox
01-12-2010, 03:32 PM
After this season.

He also will get no trade rights about 1/3 of the way through the season.

LoveYourSuit
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Is Tyler's bat ML ready?

JermaineDye05
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
After this season.

Okay well that makes sense. So if all things go right, Tyler will be ready mid to late this season and he can get some time in for 2011 and I don't think AJ will be re-signed unless Tyler is traded.

Can we doop the Giants into trading for AJ again? How about Madison Bumgarner, Tim Lincecum, and Matt Cain?

DumpJerry
01-12-2010, 03:39 PM
:burly
Awesome! I get to pitch another perfecto!

DirtySox
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Is Tyler's bat ML ready?

He is going to strike out tons. Big swing, closed stance, lots of power. He will also walk plenty though. Very good plate discipline. He isn't likely to be hitting for average in the Bigs. Think potential Mike Napoli numbers. It will be interesting to see his numbers in more of a hitters park in Charlotte. I think the bat is close to ready. He will be 24 when the season starts.

doublem23
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Not neccessarily. If Flowers dazzles in Glendale, who's to say he doesn't win the everyday DH role with a side of catching? Castro gives the Sox a lot of flexibility in that they wouldn't be using their backup C as a DH in case of injury. I don't think that will happen but I don't know that this move automatically puts Tyler in Charlotte for the summer. We still need a DH and pathetically, Flowers is one of the more intriguing candidates.

That said, I'm not sure KW, Ozzie and the rest of the Sox field management would really think that far outside the box.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Signing Castro is a good move, especially for Flowers.

Flowers is nowhere near ready for the majors. He needs another year of experience catching as well as hitting. Rushing him would kill his development. He struck out in 50% of his ABs in the major last year. No, it was not a lot of ABs to be completely reliable of future results, but it was enough to see he has a lot of work to do. Playing two or three days a week in the majors (DH and backup catcher) would not help him develop.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Not a bad move. An experienced back-up to give A.J. some time.

I think Flowers will need more seasoning at Triple A myself before he figures prominently into the team plans.

Lip

GoGoCrede
01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
I like it. As many others have said in this thread, let Flowers continue to work in AAA.

russ99
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Interesting. Castro had a $3M contract last year and the Mets were supposedly in on him at one point, and he only signs for $1M?

Either the market for catchers this year stinks or Kenny got himself a great deal.

Again, Flowers is not known for his defense, despite some improvement last season.

So once the bat develops for another year, he could end up at 1B or DH if the Sox decide to keep A.J. around for another year or two.

soxinem1
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Even though I would have preferred Jose Molina as AJ's back up, I have no problems with this signing.

After all, I believe Castro had more HR/RBI in half a season than all of AJ's backups combined the last three years!

doublem23
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Interesting. Castro had a $3M contract last year and the Mets were supposedly in on him at one point, and he only signs for $1M?

Either the market for catchers this year stinks or Kenny got himself a great deal.

Again, Flowers is not known for his defense, despite some improvement last season.

So once the bat develops for another year, he could end up at 1B or DH if the Sox decide to keep A.J. around for another year or two.

There is a surprisingly small demand for 34-year-old backup catchers coming off .219/.292/.406 seasons.

DickAllen72
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Apparantly Cole Armstrong was DFA. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100112&content_id=7906950&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Zisk77
01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I would have preferred redmond, but whatever.

raven1
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Good move - all the Sox need from a backup catcher is someone who won't be a liability behind the plates for the 30-40 games that A.J. doesn't catch. I expect to see him catch alot of the Sunday afternoon or Saturday night games, but not much else.

esbrechtel
01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I like the move as well one more hole filled

also on another note, as long as AJ wants to hit over .300 I want him to play for the sox in some capacity...

I have heard some horror stories about Tyler's Defense at the catcher position, I know AJ is no gold glover but he is not a liability

My biggest worry with letting AJ walk at the end of the year is the damn BA affect...prospect heavily touted given a starting position and not playing well then starting an insane never ending debate on this site...I don't think WSI could handle BAII

kittle42
01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I like the move as well one more hole filled

also on another note, as long as AJ wants to hit over .300 I want him to play for the sox in some capacity...

I have heard some horror stories about Tyler's Defense at the catcher position, I know AJ is no gold glover but he is not a liability

My biggest worry with letting AJ walk at the end of the year is the damn BA affect...prospect heavily touted given a starting position and not playing well then starting an insane never ending debate on this site...I don't think WSI could handle BAII

Prospects fail all the time. I wouldn't worry about it.

Waysouthsider
01-13-2010, 01:18 AM
wow...so much harmony and sweetness on this thread....what the hell is wrong?

I agree with all of you...send Flowers to AAA and let him fix the swing and develop his defense...he ain't doing that on the bench.

Ditto on Castro too...reasonable price, knows the pitchers, seems like an inoffensive guy who does his job and shows up when needed....go KW! :D:

thomas35forever
01-13-2010, 01:23 AM
A little surprising. I guess Flowers can wait another year and come up if Castro gets injured. Didn't think he'd be back, but welcome back to the South Side, Ramon.

Bucky F. Dent
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Good. Let Flowers work on his game in AAA.

What I saw of him late in the year, his defense still needs some work.

Milkman43
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Ramon Castro, while he might be a decent backup catcher, is not exactly trade bait.

tick53
01-13-2010, 11:32 AM
:hawk

"Let me tell you something Stone Pony, The White
Sox are not afraid to start young players".

Hawk Harrellson during 2009 broadcast.

spawn
01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Ramon Castro, while he might be a decent backup catcher, is not exactly trade bait.
I wasn't talking about Castro being traded.

kittle42
01-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Of course someone had to complain.

We retained a backup catcher who is good defensively for $1 million. Non-story.

asindc
01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Of course someone had to complain.

We retained a backup catcher who is good defensively for $1 million. Non-story.

But think of all the really good catchers that would be willing to play full-time backup for $1 million. KW should have gone after somebody on that list.

spawn
01-13-2010, 12:50 PM

:rolleyes: Jayson Nix, Gordon Beckham, Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Carlos Quentin, John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Brent Lillibridge, Brian Anderson...all young players that started, some full-time, for the Sox last season. So yes, it seems the Sox aren't afraid to start young players.

Tragg
01-13-2010, 05:06 PM
:rolleyes: Jayson Nix, Gordon Beckham, Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Carlos Quentin, John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Brent Lillibridge, Brian Anderson...all young players that started, some full-time, for the Sox last season. So yes, it seems the Sox aren't afraid to start young players.
What the heck, I'll belabor.
Getz played immediately and often without producing a ton - he's the best example, but did Ozzie have a choice?
Quentin and Beckham produced big within a few weeks(Guillen groused about Beckham in week 1 "I need production"; and of course Quentin was 3rd on the depth chart behind Jerry Owens et al before he proved he could hit by being put in the lineup and he hit within a week). Who wouldn't play hitters who hit like them.
Young pitching has never been the issue.
Lillibridge and Anderson - reluctantly and only due to injury.
I think it's Ozzie's lackluster eye for talent more than a dislike of young players.

I certainly think Flowers in AAA makes more sense than catching once a week. Castro for a mill? That's okay - he's pretty expendable though. League min would make more sense, if the cb agreement allows it.