PDA

View Full Version : A veteran team

Redus Redux
01-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I blinked and all of a sudden we became a veteran team. With a bench.

Talk about impact etc

Rdy2PlayBall
01-10-2010, 02:36 PM
We can't play rookies every year. :tongue:

I think the defense will get better. I don't know about our hitting. But defense should definitely improve with Alexei, Beckham, and maybe Teahen.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-10-2010, 02:49 PM
I blinked and all of a sudden we became a veteran team. With a bench.

Talk about impact etc

The previous year they were talking about getting younger and faster. So they trade Getz, etc., and pick up a bunch of guys who are close to collecting social security.

Redus Redux
01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
The previous year they were talking about getting younger and faster. So they trade Getz, etc., and pick up a bunch of guys who are close to collecting social security.

Fortunately those older guys wont be relied on for tons. And actually Andruw isnt as old as most think.

The things we're hoping for most are 28-ish yr olds to have one of their better years (Rios/Teahan)

We're almost exclusively made up of young to old vets.

Rdy2PlayBall
01-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Teahen, Rios, Beckham, Alexei, Quentin, Danks, and Floyd are all fairly young. Basicly, they are all at the ages where they could start having their best seasons for the next couple years. The only "old" players we have are basicly Konerko and our bench (besides Nix). Which seems like a good conbination to get younger players better and let the older ones do their work. imho

russ99
01-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the failure of the "kids" last spring (well, except for Beckham) had a lot to do with Kenny's focus on veterans this offseason.

And yet, our minor league system is still decent. Another good draft or two and it could be downright solid.

I much prefer only bringing rookies into the major league lineup/rotation when they prove they deserve the shot. The idea of just giving a kid a spot and hope he does well is not the way a big-market organization should operate.

DirtySox
01-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I think the failure of the "kids" last spring (well, except for Beckham) had a lot to do with Kenny's focus on veterans this offseason.

And yet, our minor league system is still decent. Another good draft or two and it could be downright solid.

I much prefer only bringing rookies into the major league lineup/rotation when they prove they deserve the shot. The idea of just giving a kid a spot and hope he does well is not the way a big-market organization should operate.

Agree with some of this, but the minor league system is still woeful. Bottom 5 in all of the majors easily. The change in draft philosophy is nice in regards to some of the toolsy high upside picks, but there is still plenty of work to do.

Red Barchetta
01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
....I heard the Alomars are available! :D:

stevemcstud
01-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Agree with some of this, but the minor league system is still woeful. Bottom 5 in all of the majors easily. The change in draft philosophy is nice in regards to some of the toolsy high upside picks, but there is still plenty of work to do.

Considering we traded 4 pitching prospects to bring on of the best pitchers in the game to Chicago and we still had the Top AAA Pitcher and Top Minor League pitcher awards in our system(Carlos and Dan) I am very happy.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/awards/index.jsp

Waysouthsider
01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Considering we traded 4 pitching prospects to bring on of the best pitchers in the game to Chicago and we still had the Top AAA Pitcher and Top Minor League pitcher awards in our system(Carlos and Dan) I am very happy.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/awards/index.jsp

There's no question that the farm has been sold though...our minors are ranked at the very bottom of the league...hope the old guys...ummmmm, veterans.... don't get hurt!

soxfanreggie
01-10-2010, 08:33 PM
....I heard the Alomars are available! :D:

I'll take Sandy, Jr. if the contract says as "Coach" instead of "Player".

WhiteSoxJunkie
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Getz was a failure?

Lip Man 1
01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Way South:

The single biggest indictment of the White Sox farm system over the past decade has been this...all the "kids" Kenny has traded in order to bring proven, veteran talent that usually has performed, has yielded how many "quality" players, how many All-Stars with the new organization?

The "talent" he traded away basically fell flat on their faces with their new organizations, meanwhile the White Sox usually came out miles ahead, especially in the standings.

Daver has stated in the past that the Sox refuse to increase the amount of money dedicated to the farm system overall, as long as that holds sway, I'm in favor of trading every single prospect if needed if that's what it takes to help win right now...and I make no bones about it.

Baseball America had a great study five or so years ago that in a nutshell said that one out of a hundred minor league players ever spend a day in the big leagues and one per cent of those chosen few ever become stars.

Those aren't good odds are they?

I'll go with the guys who have at least achieved something in the big leagues every time, save for the rare superstar prospect like a Gordon Beckham, Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura type...and those come along once in a generation.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
01-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Way South:

The single biggest indictment of the White Sox farm system over the past decade has been this...all the "kids" Kenny has traded in order to bring proven, veteran talent that usually has performed, has yielded how many "quality" players, how many All-Stars with the new organization?

The "talent" he traded away basically fell flat on their faces with their new organizations, meanwhile the White Sox usually came out miles ahead, especially in the standings.

Daver has stated in the past that the Sox refuse to increase the amount of money dedicated to the farm system overall, as long as that holds sway, I'm in favor of trading every single prospect if needed if that's what it takes to help win right now...and I make no bones about it.

Baseball America had a great study five or so years ago that in a nutshell said that one out of a hundred minor league players ever spend a day in the big leagues and one per cent of those chosen few ever become stars.

Those aren't good odds are they?

I'll go with the guys who have at least achieved something in the big leagues every time, save for the rare superstar prospect like a Gordon Beckham, Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura type...and those come along once in a generation.

Lip
Good organizations produce them far more often than that -- and by "them" I mean quality MLB players, not elite superstars (as Gordon falls in the former category, not the latter, as of now).

Shoeless
01-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Good organizations produce them far more often than that -- and by "them" I mean quality MLB players, not elite superstars (as Gordon falls in the former category, not the latter, as of now).

I guess that leaves two options: 1) Improve the farm system or 2) Convince everyone that our minor leaguers are better than they are. Judging by the numerous complaints over a weak farm system for the past five or six years, I would think we're going to stay with (2).

white sox bill
01-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Seems like we develop the kids, bring some of them up for a while and then decide that they won't work out(or have flaws)and trade them for more established players. Just off the top of my head, names like Getz, MaCarthy,Young,Sweeney,Olivia,Broadway,Ring. Now looking at aforementioned only Miggie is the one who really has made any noise, but IIRC we got Freddy for him.

I'm sure there are others. Just can't think off hand.

Craig Grebeck
01-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Seems like we develop the kids, bring some of them up for a while and then decide that they won't work out(or have flaws)and trade them for more established players. Just off the top of my head, names like Getz, MaCarthy,Young,Sweeney,Olivia,Broadway,Ring. Now looking at aforementioned only Miggie is the one who really has made any noise, but IIRC we got Freddy for him.

I'm sure there are others. Just can't think off hand.
What's an Olivia? Or a MaCarthy?

white sox bill
01-14-2010, 09:42 AM
What's an Olivia? Or a MaCarthy?

Tony and Paul! :smile:

Lip Man 1
01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Shoeless:

I'd stay with option 2 as well given the track record of how Kenny has fleeced numerous clubs on the "potential" of duds like Jeremy Reed, Royce Ring, Joe Borchard etc. (and I don't mean specifically the deals involving those mentioned players, just in general terms...)

Lip