PDA

View Full Version : A Theoretical New Stadium

WhiteSox5187
01-08-2010, 11:57 PM
I was just looking at some pictures of Old Comiskey on the site and it is hard to believe that next season will mark the 20th anniversary of Old Comiskey's final season, but new parks only seem to get about 40 years worth of use out them before it is time for a new stadium which would mean that if that holds true for the Cell we'd get a new stadium sometime around the 2030's. I guess my question is, does that sound about right to you or will the Cell hold out as long as Comiskey did? And, if and when we got a new park, might there be more of an effort to make it look like Old Comiskey, or would the old park have been more or less forgotten by that point?

Boondock Saint
01-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm guessing that when a new stadium does get built, it's going to look very different from both Comiskey and the cell.

RedPinStripes
01-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I can't even start to think about this. Those stadiums that lasted 40 years were crap designs that limited new age revenue. That's why they're just about all gone.

This park looked like Yankee Stadium as a warehouse when it was built. They have added so much to it and have plenty of room to do more. I wouldn't be surprised to see another skybox/ stadium club type structure with a few rows of seats put in RF . within the next 10 years.

It's finally got it's own identity now. I doubt it's going anywhere in 20 years.

Shoeless_Jeff
01-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I would think that with the controversy over getting The Cell built, initial disappointment and subsequent renovations, the Sox will be playing there well past the 2030s.

I suspect that the soonest a new stadium is realistically looked at is sometime after 2050.

SOXfnNlansing
01-09-2010, 12:58 AM
I would think that with the controversy over getting The Cell built, initial disappointment and subsequent renovations, the Sox will be playing there well past the 2030s.

I suspect that the soonest a new stadium is realistically looked at is sometime after 2050.

I probably won't be around to see it then:(:

RedPinStripes
01-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Considering Uncle Jerry got the State to pony up most of the money for that stadium, you are correct!

Nellie_Fox
01-09-2010, 01:13 AM
I probably won't be around to see it then:(:Since I'd be 101 in 2050, I probably won't either. :geezer:

WSox597
01-09-2010, 05:48 AM
Since I'd be 101 in 2050, I probably won't either. :geezer:

Hey there, old timer!

I'll only be 98. LOL

If I were a betting man, I'd bet against me seeing it.

roylestillman
01-09-2010, 06:04 AM
There are a lot of reasons to believe that USCF may in fact be at the half way point of its useful life. Believe it or not The Cell is the 10th oldest ballpark in the major leagues ( I consider that thing in St. Pete older even though the Rays went in there later.) The economics of sports are starting to change regarding corporate skyboxes (tax and image/ethics issues) which are making the two levels of suites unecessary and the upper deck and or club level seats farther away and less desirable than at newer stadiums. Twenty years later a number of those suites are still not built out. At about year 40 some real rehab questions beyond cosmetic will begin to arise (look at the ramp problems that have already shown up. New owners will likely be on the scene and will be crunching the numbers. Finally as the bonds for both USCF and Soldier Field are retired the tax revenue will look mighty tempting to support a new issue to build again.

DumpJerry
01-09-2010, 06:17 AM
There are a lot of reasons to believe that USCF may in fact be at the half way point of its useful life. Believe it or not The Cell is the 9th oldest ballpark in the major leagues ( I consider that thing in St. Pete older even though the Rays went in there later.) The economics of sports are starting to change regarding corporate skyboxes (tax and image/ethics issues) which are making the two levels of suites unecessary and the upper deck and or club level seats farther away and less desirable than at newer stadiums. Twenty years later a number of those suites are still not built out. At about year 40 some real rehab questions beyond cosmetic will begin to arise (look at the ramp problems that have already shown up. New owners will likely be on the scene and will be crunching the numbers. Finally as the bonds for both USCF and Soldier Field are retired the tax revenue will look mighty tempting to support a new issue to build again.
.....and in the year 2030, Cub fans will still be high-fiving each other for the opportunity to pee in a trough.......

Medford Bobby
01-09-2010, 07:47 AM
I'll be a youngster at 90!!:wink:

bridgeportcopper
01-09-2010, 08:26 AM
There are a lot of reasons to believe that USCF may in fact be at the half way point of its useful life. Believe it or not The Cell is the 9th oldest ballpark in the major leagues ( I consider that thing in St. Pete older even though the Rays went in there later.) The economics of sports are starting to change regarding corporate skyboxes (tax and image/ethics issues) which are making the two levels of suites unecessary and the upper deck and or club level seats farther away and less desirable than at newer stadiums. Twenty years later a number of those suites are still not built out. At about year 40 some real rehab questions beyond cosmetic will begin to arise (look at the ramp problems that have already shown up. New owners will likely be on the scene and will be crunching the numbers. Finally as the bonds for both USCF and Soldier Field are retired the tax revenue will look mighty tempting to support a new issue to build again.
That is amazing, and doing the math, about to be 8th with Florida opening new stadium soon, and possibly 6th with Oakland and Tampa trying to get them done as well. That is really hard to believe. Don't see Cubs, Royals, Angels, Dodgers or Red Sox moving anytime soon, so thats probably where we will sit for a while.

roylestillman
01-09-2010, 08:36 AM
That is amazing, and doing the math, about to be 8th with Florida opening new stadium soon, and possibly 6th with Oakland and Tampa trying to get them done as well. That is really hard to believe. Don't see Cubs, Royals, Angels, Dodgers or Red Sox moving anytime soon, so thats probably where we will sit for a while.

I messed up, even though the Marlins moved into "Landshark Stadium" in 1993, the place built in 1987. The cell is currently tenth oldest with Wrigley, Fenway, Oakland, Dodgers, Angels, Rays, Marlins, Toronto, and Kansas City older.

SephClone89
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM

I'll be a youngster at 90!!:wink:

61. :D:

Christ. :o:

Warriorjan
01-09-2010, 11:58 AM
96. God willing.

ode to veeck
01-09-2010, 12:08 PM

You can do it Nellie!

Railsplitter
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
I'll be 85. With two grand paerents who reached that level and a grandmother still around at 96, I could be around then.

KnightSox
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Who knows what a new owner would do years from now. What is the lease situation with the state?

Woofer
01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
I'll be 80 at the start of the 2050 season. I hope my kids or grandkids take me to opening day. I probably won't have any teeth, and I may be in a wheelchair, but I'll be there with my Sox hat on. Probably drooling on myself.

Shoeless_Jeff
01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
I threw 2050 out there because that would be almost the 60 year mark. That just seems to me to be the life expectancy of The Cell and a reasonable age to where it wouldn't be controversial.

I hope I live to see another new Sox stadium so that I'll be able to say I've seen games at Old Comiskey, US Cellular, and whatever they call the new one. I'll be 65 in 2050 so chances are decent.

I've come to love The Cell, but hopefully the next time around they build a stadium the right way from the beginning.

What would they name a new stadium? It would probably have a corporate sponsored name, but I'd love to see a stadium simply called "White Sox Park" like Old Comiskey was named before they changed it to Comiskey Park.

tacosalbarojas
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I threw 2050 out there because that would be almost the 60 year mark. That just seems to me to be the life expectancy of The Cell and a reasonable age to where it wouldn't be controversial.

I hope I live to see another new Sox stadium so that I'll be able to say I've seen games at Old Comiskey, US Cellular, and whatever they call the new one. I'll be 65 in 2050 so chances are decent.

I've come to love The Cell, but hopefully the next time around they build a stadium the right way from the beginning.

What would they name a new stadium? It would probably have a corporate sponsored name, but I'd love to see a stadium simply called "White Sox Park" like Old Comiskey was named before they changed it to Comiskey Park.
You can bet your bottom dollar Reinsdorf's name will be on it in some fashion.

Red Barchetta
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I agree. The Royals just finished a major rehab of their ballpark as well as the Angels a few years back. The Dodgers I think are still in the middle of some major renovations as well. I also think both the A's (never understood why they used an apostrophe in their name) :tongue: and the Rays will either get new ballparks or move in the next 5 years which leaves only the Cubs and Red Sox who will continue to claim the oldest ballparks in MLB and make money off the poor fans who think just because it's old, it's good.

Many of us have witnessed something phenomenal considering how many new ballparks have been opened since Comiskey II in 1991. I doubt there will ever be that much new ballpark activity in a 30 year period again.

white sox bill
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM

Reinsdorf Park?? No no no no no no

Shoeless_Jeff
01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Reinsdorf Park?? No no no no no no

Agreed. Yuck.

DSpivack
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Why?

Boondock Saint
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM

You can all but bet your bottom dollar that his name won't be on it. Naming rights are a big income source these days.

tacosalbarojas
01-09-2010, 10:15 PM
You can all but bet your bottom dollar that his name won't be on it. Naming rights are a big income source these days.
That's why I said in some form. Obviously, there will be a corporate sponsor(s). But I believe JR will factor in somewhere in the naming.

Noneck
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
That's why I said in some form. Obviously, there will be a corporate sponsor(s). But I believe JR will factor in somewhere in the naming.

Maybe if one of the current investors owns the club then and he/she want to reciprocate for the huge return on investment Reinsdorf made for him/her.

DSpivack
01-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Again, why?

SOXfnNlansing
01-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I'll be 80 at the start of the 2050 season. I hope my kids or grandkids take me to opening day. I probably won't have any teeth, and I may be in a wheelchair, but I'll be there with my Sox hat on. Probably drooling on myself.

Keep your teeth healthy in case the Sox bring back retro-popcorn in 2050.

HarryChappas
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
2040 Stadium opens in NW Indiana. All fan base will have moved there by then.

Nellie_Fox
01-10-2010, 01:27 AM
I'd love to see a stadium simply called "White Sox Park" like Old Comiskey was named before they changed it to Comiskey Park.And back to White Sox Park and back to Comiskey.

I'd just like to see one with the dimensions of the original. Build one 365 down the lines, 420 to center, and make your team around pitching, speed, defense, and line-drive gap hitters.

oeo
01-10-2010, 02:25 AM
I would be surprised if a Sox park ever took a corporation off its name again. By 2050, I think even Yankee Stadium will have a corporate name. Hell, by then there will probably be ads on the uniforms.

The Sox do have NWI pretty much locked down.

Nellie_Fox
01-10-2010, 02:40 AM
By 2050 ... there will probably be ads on the uniforms.If that's true, I'll be glad to be dead by then.

doublem23
01-10-2010, 04:07 AM

Nobody moves to NW Indiana.

Noneck
01-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Hell, by then there will probably be ads on the uniforms.

Probably and our Sox will probably be called Hanes White Sox.

roylestillman
01-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Well, we can always bring back Jerry Park.

Gavin
01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
In 2050 we will be closer to mining inobtanium on the forest moon of Pandora than getting a new stadium.

DSpivack
01-10-2010, 10:58 AM
And back to White Sox Park and back to Comiskey.

I'd just like to see one with the dimensions of the original. Build one 365 down the lines, 420 to center, and make your team around pitching, speed, defense, and line-drive gap hitters.

I don't really care about the name, but this is an idea that I'd love to see.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-10-2010, 11:07 AM

I like the cut of your jib!

Jason82807
01-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I would be surprised if a Sox park ever took a corporation off its name again. By 2050, I think even Yankee Stadium will have a corporate name. Hell, by then there will probably be ads on the uniforms.

The Sox do have NWI pretty much locked down.

I'll bet by then the Yankees will just put their name on a variety of goods and services so they can keep the stadium name and still benefit from the revenue-generating power of a corporate name. Kind of like how back in the day you couldn't name a stadium after beer, so Anheuser-Busch just named a beer after the stadium.

DaveFeelsRight
01-10-2010, 02:55 PM
i'm pretty sure this idea won't fly around here but, what about a retractable roof?

eastchicagosoxfan
01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
i'm pretty sure this idea won't fly around here but, what about a retractable roof?

I wouldn't want it, but I am not vehemently opposed to it.

Bobby Thigpen
01-10-2010, 04:19 PM

I don't disagree with you as I'd like to see something likewise, but today's average fan doesn't have the attention span/knowledge to appreciate something like that. Why do you think fans in the future will?

soxinem1
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Architecture, changing times, and practicality are many reasons why stadiums come and go. Some of those 60's and 70's stadiums fit the model of the times, which is why so many were similar....... and why many of them were replaced around the same time.

Teams in stadiums like NYY generally try to maximize the revenue, thus they have, what EIGHT TIMES more skyboxes than the White Sox? Most teams would be happy with the revenue, look, and seating of the old Yankee Stadium, as it was redone in the mid-70's.

OTOH, older places Royals Stadium and Dodgers Stadium are both well preserved and with moderate cosmetic changes over the years are still excellent venues.

Yet those generic parks like TOR, MIN, MIL, PHI, TAM, CIN, PIT, NYM, and others were just thrown together to either get a team or replace something really obsolete like the Polo Grounds, Crosley Field, and Forbes Field.

But I have to say, I have yet to be at a newer park and come away disappointed.

SoxFan1979
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
WOW ill be 71 in 2050. Not a guarantee to make that far either.

PaleHoser
01-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't care what they build as long as they bring back McCuddy's. :gulp:

soxinem1
01-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't care what they build as long as they bring back McCuddy's. :gulp:

I would like to see a McCuddy's resurrection, but I would not bet on it.

I still believe this is Reinsdorf's doing. He knew that as time passed, only older White Sox fans would even know what McCuddy's was.

He wants all the beer money spent in Reinsdorf Field, he could give a **** if there was a neighborhood pre/after game hangout.

SOXfnNlansing
01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I would like to see a McCuddy's resurrection, but I would not bet on it.

I still believe this is Reinsdorf's doing. He knew that as time passed, only older White Sox fans would even know what McCuddy's was.

He wants all the beer money spent in Reinsdorf Field, he could give a **** if there was a neighborhood pre/after game hangout.

Why does he allow tailgating in the parking lots?:scratch:
Why does he allow fans to bring their own food into the park?:scratch:
Why does he allow peddlers to sell peanuts on USCF property cheaper than inside? :scratch:

Nellie_Fox
01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't disagree with you as I'd like to see something likewise, but today's average fan doesn't have the attention span/knowledge to appreciate something like that. Why do you think fans in the future will?I didn't say they would. I was just saying what I'd like. :tongue:

DSpivack
01-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Sam Smith had a bat**** crazy idea [then again, that's par for the course] before the Bears renovated Soldier Field. He proposed double-decking USCF [then Comiskey], moving the Bears there, and carving a baseball stadium out of Soldier Field, thinking a smaller stadium would fit better within the columns. A bit out there, but I've always found that intriguing. What a setting for a baseball park that would be.

Shoeless
01-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Sam Smith had a bat**** crazy idea [then again, that's par for the course] before the Bears renovated Soldier Field. He proposed double-decking USCF [then Comiskey], moving the Bears there, and carving a baseball stadium out of Soldier Field, thinking a smaller stadium would fit better within the columns. A bit out there, but I've always found that intriguing. What a setting for a baseball park that would be.

One of the teams would probably end up spending a lot more money then the other, as the states of each stadium were at different levels of upkeep. On the other hand, I have trouble figuring which one.

tick53
01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey there, old timer!

I'll only be 98. LOL

If I were a betting man, I'd bet against me seeing it.

Well I'll only be 97.:rolleyes: