PDA

View Full Version : Cork N Kerry taking over the Jimbo's site

bridgeportcopper
01-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Had heard this weeks ago, just confirmed on Fox News that they have applied for liquor license. Those of you not familiar with the Cork, they do things right, I got a feeling you'll like it, hope they can get it up n rolling by Opening Day.

sullythered
01-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Had heard this weeks ago, just confirmed on Fox News that they have applied for liquor license. Those of you not familiar with the Cork, they do things right, I got a feeling you'll like it, hope they can get it up n rolling by Opening Day.
Wow. If they run that place like they do the joint on Western, it'll be a 10x better bar than Jimbo's used to be.

Jerko
01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
http://www.southtownstar.com/business/1979732,010810jimbos.article

WhiteSox5187
01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Hmmm, I move from Beverly to Bridgeport and Cork follows me...

beasly213
01-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Meh whatever. A really nice sports bar already opened near Sox park. Rockys on 31st and Wells.

Really friendly staff and fair prices. Check them out!

SOXfnNlansing
01-09-2010, 01:33 AM
I go to First Base on 33rd and Normal. It's a dump, but free parking and they are very friendly.

doublem23
01-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Meh whatever. A really nice sports bar already opened near Sox park. Rockys on 31st and Wells.

More bars = better. Nothing like a little friendly competition.

DumpJerry
01-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Wow. If they run that place like they do the joint on Western, it'll be a 10x better bar than Jimbo's used to be.
Don't set the bar too high. We're talking about making a place better than Jimbo's, after all.:tongue:

Rocky's rocks. Good place for pre-and post-game meet-ups.

Medford Bobby
01-09-2010, 07:54 AM
I saw that FOX 32 report and it would have neat if some of bar patrons would have at least had their Sox caps on.....:scratch:

Sargeant79
01-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Is that the place that used to be Punchinello's?

DumpJerry
01-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Yes. This one has a kitchen.

beasly213
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
More bars = better. Nothing like a little friendly competition.

Yup. Although we'll see if they are even able to get a liquor licensee...

Sargeant79
01-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes. This one has a kitchen.

How's the food?

sullythered
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM

Almost sounds like you've either got something against the Cork, or have a stake in Rocky's...

DumpJerry
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
How's the food?

Dunno. Have not tried it yet. They opened at the tail end of the Sox season, so I did not have many opportunities to get there too often. The first time I was there it was the day before the official opening, so the kitchen was not open that day.

Almost sounds like you've either got something against the Cork, or have a stake in Rocky's...
Beasly is reflecting the realities of how hard it is to get a license these days. The neighbors within 250 feet have to agree to it. I can see the neighbors realizing how nice and quiet it was last year without Jimbo's.....

ChiSoxGirl
01-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Don't set the bar too high. We're talking about making a place better than Jimbo's, after all.:tongue:

Rocky's rocks. Good place for pre-and post-game meet-ups.

Is this place new?! Why haven't we gone there before for meet-ups???

skobabe8
01-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Dunno. Have not tried it yet. They opened at the tail end of the Sox season, so I did not have many opportunities to get there too often. The first time I was there it was the day before the official opening, so the kitchen was not open that day.

Beasly is reflecting the realities of how hard it is to get a license these days. The neighbors within 250 feet have to agree to it. I can see the neighbors realizing how nice and quiet it was last year without Jimbo's.....

All neighbors must agree? Or a majority?

bridgeportcopper
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM

You are talking about people who moved in 2 blocks from a ballpark, don't think they were looking for peace n quiet. And although it is hard to get a license, in some cases it's not, and from what I know of the Cork guys, I think they've made the right connections thru the years. It'll get done. This conversation wouldn't have gotten this far if this wasn't a done deal.

jamokes
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Great, five bucks for a can of beer? I'll tailgate.

PalehosePlanet
01-10-2010, 02:08 AM
You are talking about people who moved in 2 blocks from a ballpark, don't think they were looking for peace n quiet. And although it is hard to get a license, in some cases it's not, and from what I know of the Cork guys, I think they've made the right connections thru the years. It'll get done. This conversation wouldn't have gotten this far if this wasn't a done deal.

They are applying for an incidental liquor license, not a tavern license. Tavern licenses (meaning a straight-up bar) are not being issued right now. By applying for the incidental liquor license, this means that the business would have to be run primarily as a restaurant. Food sales would be the primary business activity, meaning that 66.7 percent of the receipts would have to be for food sales.

The only way, most likely, that they would not acquire the license would be if during the on site inspection period the establishment is obviously laid-out as a bar, rather than as a restaurant.

bridgeportcopper
01-10-2010, 07:45 AM
All I'm saying is this is chicago, there are ways around it, and you can bet there will be a liquor license. As it currently stands, the only food at Cork n Kerry is the free popcorn machine, so I highly doubt they are planning on obtaining a tavern property near a ballpark and testing the restaurant field. Maybe they will set up a hot dog cart outside to cover the "66.7%" of their business revenue that someone earlier stated had to be from non-alcohol sales, I really don't know. But, as I stated earlier this is Chicago, where Reilly's Daughter had a Taste of Chicago stand for all those years, despite not having a kitchen,OR a location in Chicago for what that's worth. This will get done.

DumpJerry
01-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Jimbo's had a kitchen, so it won't be hard for the new place to be a food vendor.

If one person within the 250 foot perimeter objects, s/he can make life interesting. Several years ago Jimmy's in Hyde Park had a change of ownership which necessitated a license change. One graduate student living in a rented apartment behind the place filed an objection which tied things up for many months and almost caused the place to shut down. His objection was that the bar was too close to a school. The city got around his objection by ruling that while it was technically too close to the school's parking lot, the building was a few feet past the perimeter.

twentywontowin
01-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Interesting subject on the liquor license thing. You would figure being so close to a distraction like a baseball stadium, a bar wouldn't be a bad thing.

Do they HAVE to sell food in order to get it? I'm a little unclear on how it works.

DumpJerry
01-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Interesting subject on the liquor license thing. You would figure being so close to a distraction like a baseball stadium, a bar wouldn't be a bad thing.

Do they HAVE to sell food in order to get it? I'm a little unclear on how it works.
How is a baseball stadium a distraction?

If you read the link near the beginning of the thread, it explains the different types of liquor licenses the City issues.

twentywontowin
01-10-2010, 10:48 AM
How is a baseball stadium a distraction?

If you read the link near the beginning of the thread, it explains the different types of liquor licenses the City issues.

Distraction as in 20,000 extra cars shooting around the neighborhood 81 times a year. You would think neighborhood owners that put up with that wouldn't have a problem with another bar in the area?

beasly213
01-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Distraction as in 20,000 extra cars shooting around the neighborhood 81 times a year. You would think neighborhood owners that put up with that wouldn't have a problem with another bar in the area?

When the Sox have home games the baseball stadium isn't as much of a hassal as you would think. Since most people park in the lots and parking restrictions are enforced pretty well the only thing I have to "put up with" living near the ballpark is hearing fireworks going off. Which is something I actually love. :cool:

And cars aren't Shooting around the neighborhood, they're getting in their cars and getting on the Dan Ryan.

Most of the people who own here have lived here for a long time and aren't looking for much to change. I think the sterotype and the idea of having a bunch of bars in the area is something residents don't want.

DumpJerry
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
They're doing this so Coop does not have to drive too far after Sunday games.

ewokpelts
01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I go to First Base on 33rd and Normal. It's a dump, but free parking and they are very friendly.street or lot parking?

hawkjt
01-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Just heard them say on the Score that the owner of the Cork and Kerry is going to open up in Jimbo's old location for next season....cool.

I was not a huge fan of Jimbo's but always popped in there a few times a year. Just did not seem right to walk by it last year and see it shuttered.

Never been to Cork and Kerry,but obviously it is a Sox place with the Sox coaches making regularly scheduled appearances there ...so I presume some of the historical Sox feel that Jimbos sported will be carried on.

ooops...sorry, did not see the earlier thread...thought it was ''breaking news''....figures..I never get the scoop!

FarmerAndy
01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I live a few doors down from the Jimbo's site. Don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've heard from some of my neighbors that a guy in the neighborhood (who I shall not name) is opening a bar/grill in the spot that was Fratellini's on 33rd and Wells, just one block east of Jimbo's. The windows have been covered up with newspaper so you can't see what's going on in there.

The prospect of having two places over there, as well as Rocky's a couple blocks north. Not bad.

Jpgr91
01-11-2010, 11:23 AM
The residents voicing their opinion about the establishment of a liquor license with in 250 feet of their home is not a final say. The final say rests with the Liquor Commission. If they city left it up to residents, it would be almost impossible to establish liquor license in certain key areas of the city.

voodoochile
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
The residents voicing their opinion about the establishment of a liquor license with in 250 feet of their home is not a final say. The final say rests with the Liquor Commission. If they city left it up to residents, it would be almost impossible to establish liquor license in certain key areas of the city.

Yeah, and they are going to have to show a good reason why it would suddenly be not okay to have a bar there especially with the ballpark so close.

TomBradley72
01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Good news, and a major upgrade from Jimbo's.

FWIW, I wish the Sox would make a move like this for the Bullpen Sportsbar.....have a well known Chicago restaurant/bar add it as a location....ideally McCuddy's...but that will never happen.

roylestillman
01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Good news, and a major upgrade from Jimbo's.

FWIW, I wish the Sox would make a move like this for the Bullpen Sportsbar.....have a well known Chicago restaurant/bar add it as a location....ideally McCuddy's...but that will never happen.

Just let it stay open for more than 45 minutes after the game! I gave up going there after one too many" bum's rush" after ordering my first beer. If the staff is too exhausted, bring in a late shift.

twsoxfan5
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
From my understanding I thought there were only a certain amount of liquor licenses out there, which is why it was so hard to get one. My wife has worked in the beer business for a while and she told me that the main reason it is so hard to get the license is b/c they don't have any new ones and in order for a new bar to get one another needs to close.

voodoochile
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
From my understanding I thought there were only a certain amount of liquor licenses out there, which is why it was so hard to get one. My wife has worked in the beer business for a while and she told me that the main reason it is so hard to get the license is b/c they don't have any new ones and in order for a new bar to get one another needs to close.

Unless they've changed the rules since I worked in Chicago I don't think that's true. They generally make it tough to get new ones, but in this case there was a liquor license on that corner as recently as a year ago. In addition, the current application is by a company that already has one, so it makes it easier to get a second if they don't have any complaints against them on the original - basically they have proven they are good neighbors and don't get sued and don't over serve people already so it makes it easier to get another one (at least in theory).

You may not be able to get a license for a "pure bar" but as others have stated, you can get one for a food establishment that happens to serve booze. And mostly that's just a trick to get around the rules anyway. No one is going to make them justify the food/booze ratio once they are open so even if it slips below the threshold, they can always claim it's what the customer wants and their hands are tied.

pythons007
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Heck, build a bar in the parking lot!!!! That would be even better!

Last time I went to Jimbo's Bobby Jenks and Brandon McCarthey were there sitting next to the bar. One of the more memorible moments in my Soxlore!

I switched my then Cubbie loving girlfriend into my now Sox loving wife! Her favorite player was/is Bobby Jenks and she got his autograph!

That was the best memory from Jimbo's. I wasn't a big fan of that place, run down and $5 dollars a can of beer. When did this come about!?!? Damn, cost of a case of beer is roughly $15, they make that in 3 freaking beers and I bet they get it a lot cheap than $15! When did they start charging that much for a can of freaking beer????

Jpgr91
01-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Unless they've changed the rules since I worked in Chicago I don't think that's true. They generally make it tough to get new ones, but in this case there was a liquor license on that corner as recently as a year ago. In addition, the current application is by a company that already has one, so it makes it easier to get a second if they don't have any complaints against them on the original - basically they have proven they are good neighbors and don't get sued and don't over serve people already so it makes it easier to get another one (at least in theory).

You may not be able to get a license for a "pure bar" but as others have stated, you can get one for a food establishment that happens to serve booze. And mostly that's just a trick to get around the rules anyway. No one is going to make them justify the food/booze ratio once they are open so even if it slips below the threshold, they can always claim it's what the customer wants and their hands are tied.

I think the limited license is the "late hour" license, which allows bars / clubs to stay open until 4am/5am. I am not sure if they are still doing this, but I remember a few years ago the City said they were not going to issue any new "Late Hour" licenses. Obviously the economic climate has changed, so this may have changed as well. Either way, the number of licenses issued is controlled by the liquor commission. The Mayor has final say over all matters of liquor control and licensing. So in short, it is up to Daley.

Giv20
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
street or lot parking?

Street - go inside for a parking pass

jabrch
01-11-2010, 05:16 PM

10 times better than 0 still equals 0... :-)

Anything is better than Jimbos. That's the most overrated bar in town.

rdwj
01-11-2010, 06:55 PM
10 times better than 0 still equals 0... :-)

Anything is better than Jimbos. That WAS the most overrated bar in town.

Corrected it for ya!

Thank god it's gone - Jimbo's was awful

DrCrawdad
01-11-2010, 07:48 PM

I liked Punchinello's. Does the new joint still have the guys hanging out there that look like this guy...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Christopher_Moltisanti.jpg

Sargeant79
01-12-2010, 08:17 AM
I liked Punchinello's. Does the new joint still have the guys hanging out there that look like this guy...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/ff/Christopher_Moltisanti.jpg

Ha...I wasn't going to mention it, but the rumors always had that place pegged as a Wiseguy hangout. I always like it in there though back when I used to live in the area...never saw any problems in there.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Amen! I LOVE that place.

CLUBHOUSE KID
01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Bertucci is trying to get a bar with food on 33rd/Shields across from the townhomes and field house. Condos on 2/3 floor. Been working on it for years.

russ99
01-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Heck, build a bar in the parking lot!!!! That would be even better!

Last time I went to Jimbo's Bobby Jenks and Brandon McCarthey were there sitting next to the bar. One of the more memorible moments in my Soxlore!

I switched my then Cubbie loving girlfriend into my now Sox loving wife! Her favorite player was/is Bobby Jenks and she got his autograph!

That was the best memory from Jimbo's. I wasn't a big fan of that place, run down and $5 dollars a can of beer. When did this come about!?!? Damn, cost of a case of beer is roughly $15, they make that in 3 freaking beers and I bet they get it a lot cheap than $15! When did they start charging that much for a can of freaking beer????

Oh, and it was $5 for a can of warm beer.

The mystique of Jimbo's was much better then the actual Jimbo's :D:

I only went into McCuddy's once or twice as a kid with my old man, but it was much nicer than Jimbo's ever was.

I just hope someone's going to display all those old Sox photos that used to hang in Jimbo's, as they were awesome...

DrCrawdad
01-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Ha...I wasn't going to mention it, but the rumors always had that place pegged as a Wiseguy hangout. I always like it in there though back when I used to live in the area...never saw any problems in there.

That's what I thought when I went there. I made sure to not cause any trouble, not that I would...

DonnieDarko
01-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Trust me, that place was a mob hangout. One of the reasons Jimbo's closed down was because of the heat from the Family Secrets Trial.

I met someone there once who I was toldwas a hitman. Coldest damn eyes I ever did see, and something I'm not likely to forget. I remember really liking the food there, too, especially the fries.

The Dude
01-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Amen! I LOVE that place.

Rockys is a very solid bar. I frequent there as I live across the street so it's a nice stumble home. Friendly bartenders, owner, and great food. :gulp:

FarmerAndy
01-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Bertucci is trying to get a bar with food on 33rd/Shields across from the townhomes and field house. Condos on 2/3 floor. Been working on it for years.

That building was falling apart. I remember there was a fire in there about a year ago, and ever since they have been renovating. All the brick on the outside is new. (I live right behind it.)

I've been curious as to what's going on there....... that corner is a prime location.

white sox bill
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Those copycat White Sox fans, how dare them try and copy the neighboorhood around the Shrine!