PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Records...HOF worthy?

pythons007
01-08-2010, 12:45 PM
After Dawson was voted into the HOF, it got me thinking about the different eras of baseball and how stats fluctuate. There are stats out there that are completely inflated due to BALCO and steriods. What was once the holy grail of stats 60 and then 61 and 714 and 755 have been replaced by 70* and 73* and 762*. Should there be a new "holy grail" of baseball stats? Hack Wilson's 190 RBI total, Ted Williams .406 BA, Cal Ripken Jr. 2632 consecutive games played?

.400 has been flirted with numerous times since Ted Williams, do you think anyone will ever do this again? In my opinion, this is a stat that you can't take supplements to obtain. Actually all the examples I stated above, I don't think could be tampered with using supplements.

If or when the next person is to hit .400, do you think they should have consideration for the HOF? I know its not over a career, but doesn't Roger Maris have something in the Hall of Fame when he broke Babe Ruth's record?

What are your opinions?

TDog
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM
After Dawson was voted into the HOF, it got me thinking about the different eras of baseball and how stats fluctuate. There are stats out there that are completely inflated due to BALCO and steriods. What was once the holy grail of stats 60 and then 61 and 714 and 755 have been replaced by 70* and 73* and 762*. Should there be a new "holy grail" of baseball stats? Hack Wilson's 190 RBI total, Ted Williams .406 BA, Cal Ripken Jr. 2632 consecutive games played?

.400 has been flirted with numerous times since Ted Williams, do you think anyone will ever do this again? In my opinion, this is a stat that you can't take supplements to obtain. Actually all the examples I stated above, I don't think could be tampered with using supplements.

If or when the next person is to hit .400, do you think they should have consideration for the HOF? I know its not over a career, but doesn't Roger Maris have something in the Hall of Fame when he broke Babe Ruth's record?

What are your opinions?

The Hall of Fame isn't about breaking records. Roger Maris isn't in the Hall of Fame, and I don't think he should be. His achievement is represented in the museum, but he isn't a member. Mark McGwire isn't in the Hall of Fame either.

Chances are that if someone were to hit .400, it would be part of a Hall of Fame career. George Brett and Rod Carew flirted with .400, and if they had hit .400, they wouldn't have been inducted any quicker.

pythons007
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
The Hall of Fame isn't about breaking records. Roger Maris isn't in the Hall of Fame, and I don't think he should be. His achievement is represented in the museum, but he isn't a member. Mark McGwire isn't in the Hall of Fame either.

Chances are that if someone were to hit .400, it would be part of a Hall of Fame career. George Brett and Rod Carew flirted with .400, and if they had hit .400, they wouldn't have been inducted any quicker.

I know Maris isn't in the HOF, I was just wondering if something would be put in the HOF because someone hit .400. I was also wondering if it would put a borderline player over the top.

TDog
01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I know Maris isn't in the HOF, I was just wondering if something would be put in the HOF because someone hit .400. I was also wondering if it would put a borderline player over the top.

Lots of things are in the Baseball Museum in Cooperstown, which sometimes is referred to as the Hall of Fame. The 2005 White Sox are represented in the Baseball Museum. And I can't imagine a marginal player hitting .400, which wouldn't be a record anyway. (Breaking Babe Ruth's record, though, didn't get Maris into the Hall of Fame) If someone won a batting title hitting .425, I'm sure there would be some commemoration of the season in the Baseball Museum, even if his on-base percentage were only .418.

Nellie_Fox
01-08-2010, 02:52 PM
...the Baseball Museum in Cooperstown, which sometimes is referred to as the Hall of Fame.Funny, their logo on their home page calls it The National Baseball Hall of Fame (http://community.baseballhall.org/Page.aspx?pid=329).