PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome makes Sense

LoveYourSuit
01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I hate to give in and admit it, but that's about the only way to go IMO. I really wanted to turn the page of the Dye/Thome era, but we need another stick.

Thome is the one guy out there who will come here very cheaply and put up good enough numbers as a DH at about 30 HRs and 90 RBIs. We need that, especially from the left side.

Add the fact that he is still a good clubhouse guy that will not pout for playing time if benched, we need the least amount of this nonesense in the clubhouse.

Face it. The Sox have basically promised Kotsay and Jones a good amount of ABs or else they would have not signed here. They have also made it public that they wish to rotate these guys in and out. The only guy on the FA market willing to buy into and join this role is indeed Jim Thome. Vlad will not buy into this.

JermaineDye05
01-07-2010, 05:52 PM
"What's the Score?" also makes sense

LoveYourSuit
01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
"What's the Score?" also makes sense

I am not proposing a trade. I am speaking about the current state of the team when it comes to the DH position.

And let Mods be Mods please. Nothing more annoying than a Rent-a-Mod.:rolleyes:

Sargeant79
01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I hate to give in and admit it, but that's about the only way to go IMO. I really wanted to turn the page of the Dye/Thome era, but we need another stick.

Thome is the one guy out there who will come here very cheaply and put up good enough numbers as a DH at about 30 HRs and 90 RBIs. We need that, especially from the left side.

Add the fact that he is still a good clubhouse guy that will not pout for playing time if benched, we need the least amount of this nonesense in the clubhouse.

Face it. The Sox have basically promised Kotsay and Jones a good amount of ABs or else they would have not signed here. They have also made it public that they wish to rotate these guys in and out. The only guy on the FA market willing to buy into and join this role is indeed Jim Thome. Vlad will not buy into this.

I was also hopeful that they would be able to fill the DH spot with some fresh blood, but the way this offseason is shaking out, I think you're probably right, barring a surprising trade.

spawn
01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I am not proposing a trade. I am speaking about the current state of the team when it comes to the DH position.
You're also discussing a player that is not on the White Sox roster. It doesn't belong in the Clubhouse.

Take your own advice. Nothing like an armchair moderator moderating another armchair moderator.

JermaineDye05
01-07-2010, 06:02 PM

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7926742826/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/03/23/familyguy2006_Peter_Griffin_1174911309.jpg
"Touché LYS...."

DirtySox
01-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Amen on bringing back Thome.

russ99
01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
We don't know all the details on Thome.

Kenny may be turning the page and not consider him an option.

Also, Thome may want more cash than the Sox would give him, he might not sign for part-time work here rather than a full-time DH job elsewhere (like Detroit)

Other than wishful thinking by us fans, I haven't heard anything about this happening other than Kenny's comments at the end of the season about Jermaine and Jim, both of which were more in appreciation than any real interest.

I hope the Sox add another good hitter, and Jim would be a prime candidate, but we have to face reality that it may not happen.

Maybe we'll get a pre-Soxfest signing...

FarmerAndy
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Who gets let go if they sign Thome?

cws05champ
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
We don't know all the details on Thome.

Kenny may be turning the page and not consider him an option.

Also, Thome may want more cash than the Sox would give him, he might not sign for part-time work here rather than a full-time DH job elsewhere (like Detroit)

Other than wishful thinking by us fans, I haven't heard anything about this happening other than Kenny's comments at the end of the season about Jermaine and Jim, both of which were more in appreciation than any real interest.

I hope the Sox add another good hitter, and Jim would be a prime candidate, but we have to face reality that it may not happen.

Maybe we'll get a pre-Soxfest signing...
But where is Thome going to go? There are only a couple DH spots open in the league now and so many guys still looking for jobs. I think the longer the White Sox wait the better deal they'll get on a slugger. It would make no sense for them to attempt to sign Vlad/Thome type right now....wait and see how the market plays out.

khan
01-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Given the SOX's financial realities, Thome or Dye may be all that they can get. I wouldn't mind either, as the lineup looks awfully devoid of power as currently constructed.

Were I KW, I'd offer both of them the same 1yr + a mutual option and a buyout, with plenty of makeable incentives. Whoever signs first gets the DH job.

VMSNS
01-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Kenny and Ozzie don't want a prototypical DH. They want someone who can play the field as well.

Thome won't be coming back.

HarryChappas
01-10-2010, 01:32 AM
No HR's , no title!

getonbckthr
01-10-2010, 11:08 AM
You're also discussing a player that is not on the White Sox roster. It doesn't belong in the Clubhouse.

Take your own advice. Nothing like an armchair moderator moderating another armchair moderator.
Consider me head-spun....:?::D:

NLaloosh
01-10-2010, 02:28 PM
No HR's , no title!

So, the additional "x" amount of home runs there would be by DHing Thome and Jones versus more Jones and some Kotsay is going to make a difference?

What might that number be? 10 ?

Daver
01-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Given the SOX's financial realities, Thome or Dye may be all that they can get. I wouldn't mind either, as the lineup looks awfully devoid of power as currently constructed.

When did you get the job as the White Sox accountant?

Gavin
01-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah, seriously. Nobody talk about the White Sox/White Sox organization/Baseball/Anything unless you work for said establishment.

Corlose 15
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Thome isn't all that valuable to me anymore. He's going to hit a 30 or so homeruns and drive in probably almost 90 but he's trending downwards in his career. His OBP isn't as valuable because he is the definition of a base clogger and it would take at least two hits to score him after a walk.

I think the Sox are going to see what they have with Kotsay/Jones and if it's not enough they'll go with a more attractive option mid season. With or without Thome it is going to be Rios and Quentin who determine what the offense does this year.

01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
when did you get the job as the white sox accountant?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

NLaloosh
01-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Huff just signed with the Giants - 1 yr. $ 3 mil.

It looks more and more like it will be no one for the White Sox.

Danielgosox38
01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Huff just signed with the Giants - 1 yr. $ 3 mil.

It looks more and more like it will be no one for the White Sox.

If we go into the season with this "rotating DH", we are in serious trouble.

Save McCuddy's
01-11-2010, 10:12 AM
The idea of 300 or more AB's from Kotsay makes me want to puke. Not fair to the fans to trot that type of hitter out on a daily basis as a DH. Maybe as an outfielder in a dire, injury provoked circumstance, but as a pre-meditated option at DH its despicable.

Albeit he is right handed and a lesser outfielder defensively, Dye is still a considerably better option. Huff's signing gives an indication of where he'll fall in price-wise as well. Can't see Jermaine getting much more than $5 mil on a 1 yr with cheap option.

russ99
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
The idea of 300 or more AB's from Kotsay makes me want to puke. Not fair to the fans to trot that type of hitter out on a daily basis as a DH. Maybe as an outfielder in a dire, injury provoked circumstance, but as a pre-meditated option at DH its despicable.

Albeit he is right handed and a lesser outfielder defensively, Dye is still a considerably better option. Huff's signing gives an indication of where he'll fall in price-wise as well. Can't see Jermaine getting much more than $5 mil on a 1 yr with cheap option.

Again, what's wrong with a .280-.300 hitter coming out of the DH spot? It doesn't have to be a slugger.

If Andruw Jones turns things around a bit, he'll do quite well in a platoon with Kotsay. If Andruw doesn't do well, Kenny will go after other options.

Really how much better is Dye or Thome than what we have now, other than a few extra home runs? I like fireworks as much as anyone, but a more flexible and balanced lineup with a better potential to win games is much preferred.

Danielgosox38
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=Save McCuddy's;2410832]The idea of 300 or more AB's from Kotsay makes me want to puke. Not fair to the fans to trot that type of hitter out on a daily basis as a DH. Maybe as an outfielder in a dire, injury provoked circumstance, but as a pre-meditated option at DH its despicable.

Amen. With a pitching staff like the Sox have, it's inexcusable to go forward with this ignorant "rotating DH" idea.

LoveYourSuit
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Again, what's wrong with a .280-.300 hitter coming out of the DH spot? It doesn't have to be a slugger.

If Andruw Jones turns things around a bit, he'll do quite well in a platoon with Kotsay. If Andruw doesn't do well, Kenny will go after other options.

Really how much better is Dye or Thome than what we have now, other than a few extra home runs? I like fireworks as much as anyone, but a more flexible and balanced lineup with a better potential to win games is much preferred.

You don't play against your ballpark strengths, and that's what the Sox are doing here.

Wait until the Red Sox, Rays, and Yankees come in here and mash the hell out of the ball here against us and you will changed your mind rather quickly, I promise.

There is nothing wrong with what the Sox had in the middle of the order the last 4 years. It's the garbage that surrounded them in the 1,2,8,9 slots which was the issue. Now it looks like we have fixed the 1,2,8,9 issues but have left a huge hole in the middle of the order.

The part that scares me even more is the fact that we have ripped down a good portion of the power here in exchange for not that much of a defensive upgrade on the field. Usually you lose power for gloves, but here we have neither. Not good.

dwalteroo
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
My two cents: I'd rather take a chance on Dye having a resurgent year than Thome doing the same. Dye has some fuel left in the tank, and gives you another OF possibility, should it be necessary. Given that Vlad and now Huff are taken, I would think we could get him for 1 year plus an option.

LoveYourSuit
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
My two cents: I'd rather take a chance on Dye having a resurgent year than Thome doing the same. Dye has some fuel left in the tank, and gives you another OF possibility, should it be necessary. Given that Vlad and now Huff are taken, I would think we could get him for 1 year plus an option.

Side by side, Dye >>>>> Thome.

But I think Dye is going to get minimum $7-8 million from someone for at least one season.

The Sox (it appears) are counting their pennies very closely and if they can get Thome for $5 million they would prefer to that and also add a LH power bat in the process.

I too think Dye is in for a Huge comeback year.

Matsui was the guy to get and we failed to do so. I hope it was more to do that he wanted to go West rather than finding out that we did not even attempt to make an offer. That would upset me big time.

g0g0
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Carlos Delgado in a WS uniform either if he's healthy enough.

LoveYourSuit
01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Carlos Delgado in a WS uniform either if he's healthy enough.

Well, he is finaly back on the field.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=1911&line=280653&spln=1

soxinem1
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I like Big Jim as much as the next fan, but I do not see how he fits in here anymore.

Of course we have heard many times how KW/Ozzie would like to do this and that with the roster, then totally change the plan...

Being the team really could use a LH power source (I agree, when TAM, BOS, NYY, TEX, come here, they will be swinging!!), I really think KW and Ozzie are both waiting to see how the remaining players like Huff unfold, then go in and grab a guy we never saw coming.

After all, it is nearly three months until Opening Day.

Foulke You
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Kotsay is a pretty decent hitter. (.281 career avg.) He is lacking in the power department, I'll give you that but he has good ABs, gets a lot of hits, and a decent amount of doubles. You could do far worse than a DH platoon of Kotsay and Andruw Jones. It just *might* be enough to produce the offense we need for this pitching staff. If not, I'm sure a power hitter could be added via trade during the season.

I would agree with you that Dye would be a better DH option overall but he has stated in the media that he didn't want to do it. He is married to the idea of playing RF every day. However, I wonder if his tune will change when he realizes the market for him isn't what he thought it was? That awful second half Dye had last season combined with his age killed his market value. Perhaps he could be enticed to come back if we offered him a chance to play RF once in a while rather than full time with the rest of his ABs coming via DH? It's an interesting proposal.

Save McCuddy's
01-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Where does one start? Not that batting avg. means anything, but Thome is a career .277 hitter while Kotsay is a .281 career hitter. At this point in their careers, neither is a good bet to approach that career figure anyways much less .300.

A few extra home runs? Try a minimum of 20 extra home runs and most likely 25. Likely 100 extra bases over the course of the season.

If by a balanced lineup, you mean more suckiness and less potential to score runs, then employing Kotsay as a DH for a significant number of at bats will lead to that sort of balance.

You have a better potential to win games if your offense scores more runs than the opposition. There is no remotely logical argument that can be made that a team will score more runs with Kotsay's bat than Thome's or Dye's.

Andruw Jones needs to turn it around by a lot more than a bit just to make it back to major league regular status.

I am not going to pile on Kenny as a number of options still remain available. But there is no way a sane GM would go into 2010 with Kotsay/Jones pencilled into the DH slot.

HarryChappas
01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Where does one start? Not that batting avg. means anything, but Thome is a career .277 hitter while Kotsay is a .281 career hitter. At this point in their careers, neither is a good bet to approach that career figure anyways much less .300.

A few extra home runs? Try a minimum of 20 extra home runs and most likely 25. Likely 100 extra bases over the course of the season.

If by a balanced lineup, you mean more suckiness and less potential to score runs, then employing Kotsay as a DH for a significant number of at bats will lead to that sort of balance.

You have a better potential to win games if your offense scores more runs than the opposition. There is no remotely logical argument that can be made that a team will score more runs with Kotsay's bat than Thome's or Dye's.

Andruw Jones needs to turn it around by a lot more than a bit just to make it back to major league regular status.

I am not going to pile on Kenny as a number of options still remain available. But there is no way a sane GM would go into 2010 with Kotsay/Jones pencilled into the DH slot.

I agree 100%! If we are going for it, lets go all the way. Kotsay/Jones DH is crap and cheap BS. Sox fans need to start pushing for a bigger payroll! Where is all that money we had a few years ago? We need to get a BIG BAT to win at the cell. St. Louis is a player in FA. Why aren't we?

Save McCuddy's
01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
I agree 100%! If we are going for it, lets go all the way. Kotsay/Jones DH is crap and cheap BS. Sox fans need to start pushing for a bigger payroll! Where is all that money we had a few years ago? We need to get a BIG BAT to win at the cell. St. Louis is a player in FA. Why aren't we?

It may not even be too pricey. $3 mil for Aubrey Huff on a 1 year commitment would have been an upgrade. Hope we have at least that much $$ to throw at this issue.

HarryChappas
01-11-2010, 11:02 PM
It may not even be too pricey. $3 mil for Aubrey Huff on a 1 year commitment would have been an upgrade. Hope we have at least that much $$ to throw at this issue.

We might spend more on a bad set-up man than a DH?!? (see Linebrink)

LoveYourSuit
01-11-2010, 11:18 PM

One of the better posts I have read here. Couldn't have been said better.

Boondock Saint
01-11-2010, 11:51 PM
We might spend more on a bad set-up man than a DH?!? (see Linebrink)

Are you really comparing the two situations? The Sox had to make a major overhaul of the bullpen after 2007, and that meant spending big money on free agent relievers. Linebrink was among the best available at the time, so the Sox had to either pay his price or stick with guys like Wasserman, Bukvich, Day and Politte.