PDA

View Full Version : "The Chicago White Sox, A Visual History" DVD

sbsox
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I bought a DVD copy of "The Chicago White Sox, A Visual History" on Ebay last week. The person must have copied a VHS and the quality wasn't too bad. It is the MLB sanctioned video narrated by Jean Shepherd. It is great hearing Jean talk about the sox. He is standing in front of the fireplace in the old Comiskey Park. It must have been shot in mid 80's.

tick53
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I have it on good old VHS myself. I purchased it at Best Buy a few years ago before DVDs became the rage. As a matter fact, I watched it right before Christmas. It's a classic.:cool:

As another matter of fact, I bought it at the Best Buy in Mishawaka. I just noticed that you are from South Bend. I work there and live in Plymouth.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
It was originally released in 1987 if memory serves.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I bought the VHS edition the first year it came out and watch it probably once a year. Love the way it starts out with Shepherd in old Comiskey on a cold winter day and says; a ballpark in winter.............

TDog
01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I bought a DVD copy of "The Chicago White Sox, A Visual History" on Ebay last week. The person must have copied a VHS and the quality wasn't too bad. It is the MLB sanctioned video narrated by Jean Shepherd. It is great hearing Jean talk about the sox. He is standing in front of the fireplace in the old Comiskey Park. It must have been shot in mid 80's.

Of course, if the person you bought it from copied it from the VHS, it is a bootleg, and it was unlawful for him to sell it to you. As far as I know, the program was released only in VHS format. There is only one VHS copy listed for sale on Amazon, and it is priced, used, at $999.99. Frankly, I would sell my copy for that, as much as I love Jean Shepard and the program. It would be unlawful for me to copy it to DVD, keep the DVD and sell the original VHS tape.

If Shout! came out with a DVD edition of the 1987 program (that is the company that has been doing such things and, in fact, put out one of the post-2005 White Sox DVDs), there would be updated enhancements. If I worked for Shout!, I would suggest it might not be such a bad thing to pursue. I saw the VHS edition in a video store about 10 years ago, but nobody buys VHS anymore. Not nobody, of course. The top 10 Amazon VHS sales has three Disney films and four Richard Simmons tapes.

sbsox
01-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I will be sure to lock the DVD in the hidden vault along with the bootleg 3 CD Live at Winterland Springsteen set. I did go to the Winterland show, so maybe it is not quite a bootleg.

If Shout actually publishes the DVD I would buy it. My guess is that there is some licensing issue, maybe with Shepherds estate, that prevents them producing it.

Almost anything by Shepherd, other than the two major movies, appears to be bootleg now. WGBH never got the proper licensing for the series of Shepherd shows that they broadcast in the 1980's.

palehosepub
01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
The mantel piece to the Old Comiskey Bards Room Fireplace is now in the Bullpen Sports bar by the restrooms, it always bothers me when its busy and I see beer bottles and drink glasses stacked on it......

TDog
01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
I will be sure to lock the DVD in the hidden vault along with the bootleg 3 CD Live at Winterland Springsteen set. I did go to the Winterland show, so maybe it is not quite a bootleg.

If Shout actually publishes the DVD I would buy it. My guess is that there is some licensing issue, maybe with Shepherds estate, that prevents them producing it.

Almost anything by Shepherd, other than the two major movies, appears to be bootleg now. WGBH never got the proper licensing for the series of Shepherd shows that they broadcast in the 1980's.

I'm sure Major League Baseball got the proper licensing when they released the video in 1987, MLB being fairly litigious about copyright issues even back then.

Of course, you can scoff at copyright infringement. But it is a serious matter. Ebay ususally shuts down sales when they are obviously illegal. I'm surprised yours got through.

g0g0
01-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I have it on good old VHS myself. I purchased it at Best Buy a few years ago before DVDs became the rage. As a matter fact, I watched it right before Christmas. It's a classic.:cool:

As another matter of fact, I bought it at the Best Buy in Mishawaka. I just noticed that you are from South Bend. I work there and live in Plymouth.

I used to work at that Best Buy hehe. Like 15 years ago.

ewokpelts
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Almost anything by Shepherd, other than the two major movies, appears to be bootleg now. WGBH never got the proper licensing for the series of Shepherd shows that they broadcast in the 1980's.it's an mlb productions release. thus, they OWN it.

mlb productions prolly dosent see a "need" to put it back in print. seeing as it's from 1986, and the new "white sox memories: greatest moments in Chicago White Sox History" came out in 2009.

btw, some bits of the 1986 program live on the net. WhiteSox.com's history section has some video from it.

eriqjaffe
01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
A bunch of libraries around here have copies of it on VHS. Heck, even a couple of libraries in California have it.

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/17500275&referer=brief_results

oldcomiskey
01-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I got one too off ebay along with a DVD featuring George Wendt

ewokpelts
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
the george wendt one was about old comiskey. i have that on tape