PDA

View Full Version : Global World Series in the works?

thomas35forever
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4803999
It would be a matchup between the U.S. and Japanese champions. Not a bad idea, but I don't think it'll catch on.

aryzner
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Sounds kind of like the FIFA Club World Cup. As far as I know, nobody really cares much about that competition.

Jpgr91
01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Sounds kind of like the FIFA Club World Cup. As far as I know, nobody really cares much about that competition.

Even though my soccer knowledege is limited, I am pretty sure that the World Cup has a lot more than 2 countries participating.

I think this would be cool, but what is the incentive for the MLBPA to agree to increasing the season by a few games for one team?

aryzner
01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Even though my soccer knowledege is limited, I am pretty sure that the World Cup has a lot more than 2 countries participating.

I think this would be cool, but what is the incentive for the MLBPA to agree to increasing the season by a few games for one team?
I'm saying the Club World Cup. (The FIFA World Cup in itself is obviously a huge deal.) The best club teams from each confederation (UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, etc) compete against one another. There were 7 teams competing in the 2009 version.

Add a few more baseball league champions from a few other countries in the mix, and you've got a similar competition.

pythons007
01-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Add a few more baseball league champions from a few other countries in the mix, and you've got a similar competition.

How is this any different then the WBC, besides having the best players of a country on one team? Is the WBC at all popular? I really haven't paid any attention to it. So I'm not sure how this "global World Series" would catch on either.

Jpgr91
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm saying the Club World Cup. (The FIFA World Cup in itself is obviously a huge deal.) The best club teams from each confederation (UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, etc) compete against one another. There were 7 teams competing in the 2009 version.

Is there a few more credible baseball leagues that could participate? The reason why the Soccer Tournaments are so successful is because of the world wide appeal of soccer, I am not sure that baseball has that type of appeal.

DSpivack
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I would probably have mild interest in this and might even watch it. That said, I don't think many people will.

Bobby Valentine has been calling for this for years.

Also, isn't the World Series called that because it was originally sponsored by the New York World?

aryzner
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Is there a few more credible baseball leagues that could participate? The reason why the Soccer Tournaments are so successful is because of the world wide appeal of soccer, I am not sure that baseball has that type of appeal.
That's what I'm wondering. How skilled are the leagues that are in countries like Korea, Mexico, etc? I know there are leagues there but I don't know that the teams are necessarily any good/good enough to make games interesting.

WhiffleBall
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Also, isn't the World Series called that because it was originally sponsored by the New York World?

That is a myth:

http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/name.htm

eriqjaffe
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
That's what I'm wondering. How skilled are the leagues that are in countries like Korea, Mexico, etc? I know there are leagues there but I don't know that the teams are necessarily any good/good enough to make games interesting.IIRC, NPB in Japan is somewhere beetween AAA and Major League quality. The Mexican League is already classified as AAA by Minor League Baseball.

I'm not sure about Korea or China, but I imagine they'd be lower-tier than Japan.

DSpivack
01-07-2010, 11:41 AM
That is a myth:

http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/name.htm

Learn something new everyday, thanks.

cws05champ
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
IIRC, NPB in Japan is somewhere beetween AAA and Major League quality. The Mexican League is already classified as AAA by Minor League Baseball.

I'm not sure about Korea or China, but I imagine they'd be lower-tier than Japan.
I think the Japan teams could give the US team fits with the style of ball they play. Although I think the US team would generally be too talented overall. I would be interested and watch this. I have a feeling that overall in the US it would be met with apathy because it would be anti-climatic after the World Series ended.

esbrechtel
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that this would never work...It would not become popular, too much other crap on TV...even the regular WS has been taking a hit in the ratings...

Madvora
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
If it meant more baseball for the White Sox I would definitely watch it.
I love watching Japanese players too. I'd be interested in this.

The amount of talent in the US vs Japanese baseball has little to do with it. It's about how well they play as a team and this would be the best vs the best.

C-Dawg
01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a feeling that overall in the US it would be met with apathy because it would be anti-climatic after the World Series ended.

I agree; it would have all the excitement of the Pro Bowl.

VeeckAsInWreck
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
With the postseason being extended enough as it is. You're gonna burn out some arms with even more games.

Railsplitter
01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that this would never work...It would not become popular, too much other crap on TV...even the regular WS has been taking a hit in the ratings...
Also, more of Buck and McCarver

g0g0
01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
So what's different than the World Baseball Classic?

gr8mexico
01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I would love this if they could get Cuban baseball involved.

aryzner
01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
It's not a collection of men playing for their countries, it'd be like the Yankees vs the Yomiuri Giants (had to look that up). The winners of the 2 best leagues against one another.

I compared it to the FIFA Club World Cup where the best club teams from each confederation around the world play one another.

oeo
01-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Interesting idea, though there's no Japanese team better than an MLB team. This isn't Japan vs. America, this is Japan vs. the rest of the world. I guess anything can happen in a short series, but there's no way their individual teams would be able to compete in MLB.

doublem23
01-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Teams wouldn't be broken up according to their nationalities, it would be the team the won the World Series (like the Yankees) against the team that wins the Japan Series.

I'm already on the fence about the WBC. I really don't think we need to keep putting extra miles on guys' arms.

DSpivack
01-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Teams wouldn't be broken up according to their nationalities, it would be the team the won the World Series (like the Yankees) against the team that wins the Japan Series.

I'm already on the fence about the WBC. I really don't think we need to keep putting extra miles on guys' arms.

I actually like the WBC, as long as it is done every four years.

This competition...not so much.

g0g0
01-08-2010, 08:12 AM
It's not a collection of men playing for their countries, it'd be like the Yankees vs the Yomiuri Giants (had to look that up). The winners of the 2 best leagues against one another.

I compared it to the FIFA Club World Cup where the best club teams from each confederation around the world play one another.

Ahh gotcha. I guess I don't know that much about Japanese baseball to have an opinion either way. Sounds like it would be more like an exhibition for Americans than a championship game (seeing as we are tops in the world). :tongue:

SephClone89
01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I think this would be great. Since getting into soccer, I've come to love the international aspects of our sports. I'm all for more Asian players in baseball, more Europeans and South Americans in basketball, and more and more Europeans in the NHL.

That said, this would only be awesome if the MLB club took it seriously.

EDIT: Checking out some of the comments on that article. Quite a few of them are along the lines of:

One word: HORRIBLE. The World Series is the championship of baseball; all this meaningless series with the Japanese winner would do is degrade it. Yeah, it might make for some entertaining exhibition play, but are they going to bill it as that? Of course not. They're going to make it seem important. So what happens when a team wins the World Series - does it become like winning the LCS? It's nice, but you keep it muted because you haven't won it all yet? Imagine the Cubs, say, actually won a World Series some time. We've been waiting a century for that - and then what if they lost to some Japanese team? Would that mean they weren't actually the champions, that they didn't go all the way?

Not at all. Again, referring to soccer: winning the domestic league (Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, 1.Bundesliga, etc) is still a huge deal. Just because winning the Champions League makes you the Champions of Europe rather than the Champions of England doesn't mean it is a bigger deal. It can be much more difficult to win a domestic league. They are entirely different competitions. Winning one doesn't devalue the other.

raven1
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
What a farce! Given the disparity of quality between MLB & everyone else (Japan is about equal to AAA) this would be nothing but a ridiculous publicity stunt. By this same logic why doesn't the Stanley Cup winner play the Calder Cup winner, or the Super Bowl winner play the Arena Bowl champ?

DSpivack
01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
What a farce! Given the disparity of quality between MLB & everyone else (Japan is about equal to AAA) this would be nothing but a ridiculous publicity stunt. By this same logic why doesn't the Stanley Cup winner play the Calder Cup winner, or the Super Bowl winner play the Arena Bowl champ?

A better analogy would be the Stanley Cup Winner playing the KHL winner, or the Super Bowl champ playing the CFL winner, but yeah overall I agree.

WhiteSoxJunkie
01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I would imagine the MLB champion declining to play in this. And if they did play, there's no way they would give it their all.

hi im skot
01-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm not claiming to be anything remotely close to an expert, but wouldn't the players union have to agree to this?

If so, I can't imagine it going through...

Jpgr91
01-14-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm not claiming to be anything remotely close to an expert, but wouldn't the players union have to agree to this?

If so, I can't imagine it going through...

If it extends the season they would have to agree.