PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's WINNING Pick to Click!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Who wudda thunk it? An eighth inning run!

"It didn't come soon enough to get me the 'W' I deserved." :wright

Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=1124)

More to follow.

Go Sox!

Dadawg_77
06-12-2002, 09:00 PM
WHAT!!!!!

:graff

I was robbed

Man I am the only person to pick Tony, and he gets the job done big time.

Daver
06-12-2002, 09:03 PM
:graff

Damn what's a guy gotta do,I score both runs in the game and I get skunked.

Pukester
06-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Who wudda thunk it? An eighth inning run!

"It didn't come soon enough to get me the 'W' I deserved." :wright

Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=1124)

More to follow.

Go Sox!

You have got to be kidding me right!!!!!!!!!!

That is F-ing ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you even watch the damn game? Or just check the highlights?

Unbelievable.

Jerry_Manuel
06-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Tough night to be the WSI Umpire. :smile:

Prof.Redass
06-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Tough night to be the WSI Umpire. :smile:

Well I daresay,when you screw something up that bad you deserve what you get.

Something tells me the umpire accepts bribes when I see something as henious as this outright robbery.

hold2dibber
06-12-2002, 09:33 PM
I didn't pick either Wright or Graff, so I'm not biased (I mean, other than in the WSI kind of way), but I think PHG made the right choice. Tony was great and is Mr. Clutch on this team, but Wright was absolutely outstanding. Tough call, but I think Wright deserved it.

Jerry_Manuel
06-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Prof.Redass
Something tells me the umpire accepts bribes when I see something as henious as this outright robbery.

He does, but you didn't hear that from me. :D:

Jjav829
06-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Have you memorized this page?

How PTC winner is determined (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/MainPages/PTCprimer.htm)

Qualify to win PTC by pitching a shutout through six innings, or one earned run through seven innings.

When the Sox win...

If the Sox score less than five runs, the PTC will likely be one of the pitchers.

Wright pitched dominating today. He is the reason that the Sox were able to only score 2 runs, and still win. He deserved to win.

Dadawg_77
06-12-2002, 09:57 PM
No I didn't but this is there

Position Players and DH (including the bench)

Qualify to win PTC by contributing significant offensive performance, measured hitting safely, scoring, batting in runs, stealing bases, drawing walks, avoiding strikeouts, advancing runners, avoiding double-plays, not leaving runners on base (especially with two out), etcetera.
Qualify to win by playing a key role in the inning the Sox tie or take the lead, particularly in the late innings.

KruseControl04
06-12-2002, 10:06 PM
I think that Tony G definatly deserved to win the PTC over Wright. But it is a close call. Wright pitched a hell of a game.

Dadawg_77
06-12-2002, 10:09 PM
I guess I am just a little bitter that after taking some time off, dues to computer problems at hom, I make a pick to click. And was the only person to "stick his neck out" and take Tony G.

danman31
06-12-2002, 10:41 PM
I think the PTC rules page is a bunch of bull to get PHG off the hook whenever he makes a crappy call. It's a great way to make yourself look good, but I hate it.

Jerry_Manuel
06-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by danman31
I think the PTC rules page is a bunch of bull to get PHG off the hook whenever he makes a crappy call. It's a great way to make yourself look good, but I hate it.

I blame Jerry Manuel for this one.

:)

Seriously, the PTC contest means nothing.

KempersRS
06-12-2002, 10:47 PM
What the hell? Calm down people, it's a game added to the site for your enjoyment and you act like he just killed your family. Hope you all don't lose too much sleep tonight over this terrible turn of events.

WinningUgly!
06-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by danman31

Can you really blame him for that? It's just for fun--not like there's a big ole grand prize at stake. There is no way to make the PTC contest perfect...unless somehow PHG allowed me to win every day :D:

My only gripe with the whole PTC thing is there is a winner even when the Sox lose. Oh well. Maybe we could start another daily contest...Pick the Goat. Pick which Sox player is most responsible for the Sox losing.
Rule #1 You can not select Royce Clayton every day. :)

Daver
06-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Can you really blame him for that? It's just for fun--not like there's a big ole grand prize at stake. There is no way to make the PTC contest perfect...unless somehow PHG allowed me to win every day :D:

My only gripe with the whole PTC thing is there is a winner even when the Sox lose. Oh well. Maybe we could start another daily contest...Pick the Goat. Pick which Sox player is most responsible for the Sox losing.
Rule #1 You can not select Royce Clayton every day. :)

LMAO!!!

BTW great sig WU.

Soxheads
06-12-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Pukester

You have got to be kidding me right!!!!!!!!!!

That is F-ing ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you even watch the damn game? Or just check the highlights?

Unbelievable.

Wow, you've sure made an ass out of yourself.

Pukester
06-12-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

Really?

How so?

Because I disagree?

Deal with it.

More to come.

Soxheads
06-12-2002, 11:57 PM

Really?

How so?

Because I disagree?

Deal with it.

More to come.

Personal insults don't go over well here.

Pukester
06-13-2002, 12:02 AM

Personal insults don't go over well here.

And who did I insult?

I offered an opinion of a decision,I insulted no one.

You however insulted me,but I am willing to let that one go......

For now anyway.

Soxheads
06-13-2002, 12:11 AM

And who did I insult?

I offered an opinion of a decision,I insulted no one.

You however insulted me,but I am willing to let that one go......

For now anyway.

Who did you think should've won? There is a reason there is a PTC primer. (So George dosen't get message like that getting thrown at him)

Soxheads
06-13-2002, 12:18 AM
In a post linking to the primer:
Besides the direct link above, a permanent link is included at the bottom of the Contest Rules page. It goes without saying, that is another page you ought to know and understand before complaining about a wrong pick.

In the primer:
* Qualify to win PTC by pitching a shutout through six innings, or one earned run through seven innings.

He gave up 1 ER in 7.

* Qualify to win PTC by pitching into the seventh inning, though this can be less if the Sox are losing and aren't scoring runs. (world's tallest midget contest)

Ditto.

2. Criteria for selecting the winning PTC.

When the Sox win...

If the Sox score less than five runs, the PTC will likely be one of the pitchers.
If the Sox score more than five runs, the PTC will likely be one of the position players.
If the Sox score exactly five runs, the PTC won't favor either pitchers or position players.

And finally:
For simple, straight-forward advice, consider this:
"Small unmarked bills"

Enough said. :smile:

Pukester
06-13-2002, 12:59 AM
In a post linking to the primer:

In the primer:

He gave up 1 ER in 7.

Ditto.

And finally:

Enough said. :smile:

So what is your point?

Doesn't change the fact that the Ump blew it.

Before you call me any more names remember that the ump BLEW it.

Deal with it.

I will be back.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2002, 02:45 AM
Look, I can understand people being upset. However, the bottom line is the Sox won a game by scoring just two runs. The only way that happens is if the team got solid pitching. That's why if the Sox win and score less than five runs, the PTC will favor a pitcher.

Graffanino definitely qualified to win PTC as a position player. In fact, Graffanino was the ONLY position player to qualify. Frankly, 2 for 4 with a dinger and two ribbies won't win PTC most nights. There were several Sox players that accomplished as much yesterday--and they didn't win either, because Thomas did more.

Wright definitely qualified as a starter, pitching seven innings with just 1 earned run. Note that to qualify, he didn't have to get the win--though in this case, he deserved it. He also didn't need stellar pitching stats--though again, his 3-hitter and 5 K's vs. 2 walks are impressive.

So how do you pick between two qualified candidates, one a pitcher and the other a position players? It's an apples to oranges comparison, isn't it?

Ah, but read the primer. That's where the answer is. The WSI umpire will favor a pitcher or a position player depending on the final score and who won the game.

The Sox won scoring two runs. Chances are, I'm picking the best Sox pitcher over the best Sox hitter. Tonight was no exception.

I know you're frustrated, but stop impugning the integrity of the primer. Though I've been following the primer's selection criteria for nearly two years, I wrote it down so everyone could understand the winning selection criteria. If there wasn't a written primer for your review, your beef would be more understandable.

foulkesfan11
06-13-2002, 07:58 AM
Has the scoreboard been updated yet since last night?

DrWatson27
06-13-2002, 08:08 AM
Has there ever been co-ptc's? I didn't have either guy last night be after reading the rules it seems like both deserve the honor.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by DrWatson27
Has there ever been co-ptc's? I didn't have either guy last night be after reading the rules it seems like both deserve the honor.

From the PTC official rules:

THE winning "Pick to Click" is the Sox player of the game.... Win or lose, A winning Pick to Click will be chosen each game. (my emphasis added)

If you think there is a lot of whining because a guy who got 2 hits didn't win, imagine the uproar if we permitted multiple winners each game. Every clown whose player took ball four will stake a claim to a share of the win. The people who picked truly deserving players would whine harder, too.

No thanks. I have to do enough hand-holding already for people who refuse to read the rules or see sinister motives behind the written primer provided.

Is it any wonder why they lose? It's no surprise to me.

hold2dibber
06-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I blame Jerry Manuel for this one.

:)

Seriously, the PTC contest means nothing.

Nothing? How can you possibly say the PTC contest means nothing? In addition to the bragging rights that last a life time, "PTC 2002 Contest Winner" looks awfully spiffy on the resume. And, even more importantly, there is a case of the beer refreshing Hamms at stake! This is serious business!

Dadawg_77
06-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Damn Straight, PHG just keeping me from that 6 pack.

ode to veeck
06-13-2002, 02:09 PM
And, even more importantly, there is a case of the beer refreshing Hamms at stake! This is serious business!

Does that include a shaker full of salt (needed to get the Hamms down!)

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Does that include a shaker full of salt (needed to get the Hamms down!)

It's a case of Hamm's. Drink responsibly and it will last you all winter, with no gassy side effects.

Of course the bragging rights last forever. That's the real prize!

:gulp:

Jjav829
06-13-2002, 02:42 PM

It's a case of Hamm's. Drink responsibly and it will last you all winter, with no gassy side effects.

Yep. I've been strutting around town ever since last year. :D:

hold2dibber
06-13-2002, 03:05 PM

It's a case of Hamm's. Drink responsibly and it will last you all winter, with no gassy side effects .

No gassy side effects? Hell, just mentioning the name "Hamms" causes such effects. Oh, but maybe that's just me. Never mind.

Spiff
06-14-2002, 06:05 PM

Hey heads could your nose get any browner??

RedPinStripes
06-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Look, I can understand people being upset. However, the bottom line is the Sox won a game by scoring just two runs. The only way that happens is if the team got solid pitching. That's why if the Sox win and score less than five runs, the PTC will favor a pitcher.

Graffanino definitely qualified to win PTC as a position player. In fact, Graffanino was the ONLY position player to qualify. Frankly, 2 for 4 with a dinger and two ribbies won't win PTC most nights. There were several Sox players that accomplished as much yesterday--and they didn't win either, because Thomas did more.

Wright definitely qualified as a starter, pitching seven innings with just 1 earned run. Note that to qualify, he didn't have to get the win--though in this case, he deserved it. He also didn't need stellar pitching stats--though again, his 3-hitter and 5 K's vs. 2 walks are impressive.

So how do you pick between two qualified candidates, one a pitcher and the other a position players? It's an apples to oranges comparison, isn't it?

Ah, but read the primer. That's where the answer is. The WSI umpire will favor a pitcher or a position player depending on the final score and who won the game.

The Sox won scoring two runs. Chances are, I'm picking the best Sox pitcher over the best Sox hitter. Tonight was no exception.

I know you're frustrated, but stop impugning the integrity of the primer. Though I've been following the primer's selection criteria for nearly two years, I wrote it down so everyone could understand the winning selection criteria. If there wasn't a written primer for your review, your beef would be more understandable.

Dammit!!!!!!! No one ever follows the rules around here. I'm so pissed. I might be shafted out of piss poor beer and a bad headache!!