PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training questions

chisoxfanatic
01-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I've decided I'm going to the game on March 20th at Camelback Ranch park so that I can see the Sox at their home Spring Training site. I now have a few questions for those of you with prior experience attending ST:

1. Will this game sell out before I get there? Should I purchase my ticket in advance?

2. I'd like to keep this as economical as possible. I notice the outfield lawn seating is pretty cheap. Would I have any chance in getting a couple autographs if I bought a ticket there, or would I be forbidden in other areas of the ballpark where I could more easily get them if I came early enough? I'd like to get my Mark Buehrle Wheaties box and my AJ Pierzynski bobblehead signed.

3. Is that lawn seating area a general admission-type area, or do they designate where you sit? I'd imagine it would be best to bring a beach towel to sit on?

4. Are we allowed to bring food in like we are at Comiskey for games?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2010, 06:05 PM
http://camelbackranchbaseball.com/stadium/policies/

This link will let you know the rules; what you can bring in and how.

Since they play the cubs the day before, the game you are going to will not be sold out. You can just walk up day of game and purchase tickets w/o ticketmaster fees. Basically, the best way to get an autograph is early in the morning during practice. Last season, 2 of the 3 games I went to were disappointing in this respect: most of security on non-cub games were diverted to the Dodger's side, so they didn't open the Sox practice gates to be close up. I'm not sure what the policy is this year, but it can't hurt to call them ahead of time (something I can see you doing in fact) to kind of 'complain in advance'.

During the game warmups there are opportunities for autographs and photos, but mostly the minor leaguers and back ups. You will have a blast going. They have water fountains to refill your water bottle too.

chisoxfanatic
01-05-2010, 06:16 PM
So, you'd say that my chances of getting Buehrle and AJ's autographs are pretty slim?

MarySwiss
01-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I've decided I'm going to the game on March 20th at Camelback Ranch park so that I can see the Sox at their home Spring Training site. I now have a few questions for those of you with prior experience attending ST:

1. Will this game sell out before I get there? Should I purchase my ticket in advance?

2. I'd like to keep this as economical as possible. I notice the outfield lawn seating is pretty cheap. Would I have any chance in getting a couple autographs if I bought a ticket there, or would I be forbidden in other areas of the ballpark where I could more easily get them if I came early enough? I'd like to get my Mark Buehrle Wheaties box and my AJ Pierzynski bobblehead signed.

3. Is that lawn seating area a general admission-type area, or do they designate where you sit? I'd imagine it would be best to bring a beach towel to sit on?

Heather, this is based on last year, so some of it could change:

1. Games will not usually sell out ahead of time, except for the Cubs/Sox matchup. You probably don't need to purchase your tickets way ahead of time, but I don't think I'd take a chance on walking up on game day, especially since you're making the trip. As for autograph signing, SOXFnNlansing knows more than I do.

2 & 3. The lawn seating is general admission, and yes, you should bring something on which to sit. We had lawn seating last year for the Cubs/Sox game, which was a complete zoo. As was the case in Tucson, we were allowed to move freely around the park, no matter what seats we had.

4. About the food, I don't know. We didn't try to bring anything in. But here's a link to Spring Training info.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/spring_training/tickets.jsp?c_id=cws&partnerId=ed-3099144-114958186&source=ed-3099144-114958186

I hope you have a really great time, Heather. I live wayyy on the other side of the Valley from Glendale--about an hour's drive--but feel free to PM me when March comes around. If our schedules permit, maybe we can have lunch or grab a beer or something. It'd be great to get together again. :D:

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
If you are looking for Buehrle, or any pitcher, the early team warm up practices (I think at 9am on all the fields), you won't see them. That is a great place to find position players. We got CQ, Dye, Alexi, etc. We even got to have 20-30 second conversations with Thome, BA, and Robin Ventura. I actually got to talk to Robin for a couple minutes about working in the booth, and he told me how he thought Crede's replacement was going to work out.

AJ was elusive the 2 mornings I was there. I thought maybe he was too cool for autographs, but he did talk through the fence to people. I never saw him sign anything. I will tell you this though, the best moment for me was standing on the pathway on top of the players fenced in tunnel, PK was walking with a minor leaguer to the practice field. My wife is 'in love' with him (lol). PK looked up at her and smiled as he walked and said 'thanks' to whatever she was blabbering on about :).

Come to think about it, I can't remember seeing any major league pitchers at anytime outside the park. The WS have people throw bp and work with the fielders.

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
SOXFnNlansing knows more than I do.

:redface: lol

chisoxfanatic
01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
OMG, does Robin Ventura attend a bunch of the games at ST?! I'd SO love to get a picture with him and get my 8 x 10 photo of him signed! He is my favorite baseball player of all time!

He definitely would be a good analyzer of talent at the hot corner, so I'm not surprised he said that about Bacon.

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM
OMG, does Robin Ventura attend a bunch of the games at ST?! I'd SO love to get a picture with him and get my 8 x 10 photo of him signed! He is my favorite baseball player of all time!

He definitely would be a good analyzer of talent at the hot corner, so I'm not surprised he said that about Bacon.

We were talking about how Fields would do at 3rd.

grenda12
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM

1. Will this game sell out before I get there? Should I purchase my ticket in advance? Usually no. The only game Id worry about are the Cubs. We always bought tickets when we got there.

2. I'd like to keep this as economical as possible. I notice the outfield lawn seating is pretty cheap. Would I have any chance in getting a couple autographs if I bought a ticket there, or would I be forbidden in other areas of the ballpark where I could more easily get them if I came early enough? I'd like to get my Mark Buehrle Wheaties box and my AJ Pierzynski bobblehead signed. Very good spot to pick up an autograph. Get there early, get your tickets and head toward the lawn section. Last year I got lots of autographs and got items from the players before and after the game. Buehrle/Pierzynski will probably be a couple hard ones to get but doesnt hurt to try. I got AJ to sign twice during my 10 day visit.

3. Is that lawn seating area a general admission-type area, or do they designate where you sit? I'd imagine it would be best to bring a beach towel to sit on? The lawn seating is general admission to the lawn. You pick where you want to sit. Definitely bring something to sit on.

This im not sure about.

Hope that helps.

SOXfnNlansing
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
You can bring food and a bottle of water into the park. I put the link on my first post in this thread. Last year, we bbq'd and put food in 1 gallon zip lock bags. Port a potty situation in the parking lot is bad fyi. Walk from parking lot to practice fields/stadium kind of far (and that's where the bathroom is).

If you want to stay out of the sun, the best place was first base side towards the back end of the sections.

I want to go back myself the week after Palm Sunday for a few days, but the airline prices are bad (I have to pay for 3 people), so we might just go down to Florida instead. The Nationals play near my mom's house, so maybe I can see a little Citrus League action.

MarySwiss
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Wait a second! The Cubs game is the day before? Wow! Good chance that Manders will be in the vicinity then.

She'll be a cinch to see this thread, so we should hear from her soon. :D:

Edit: You guys are amazing! I'm still trying to deal with the end of the football season.

michned
01-05-2010, 11:21 PM
I've decided I'm going to the game on March 20th at Camelback Ranch park so that I can see the Sox at their home Spring Training site...

My guess is you'll be going to the Hawks-Coyotes game down the street after the game? :smile:

I have that day penciled in on the calendar. Going to try and do both the Sox and Hawks in the same day.

chisoxfanatic
01-06-2010, 12:02 AM
My guess is you'll be going to the Hawks-Coyotes game down the street after the game? :smile:

I have that day penciled in on the calendar. Going to try and do both the Sox and Hawks in the same day.
You got it! That was my exact intention. My boyfriend (just about as huge a Hawks fan as I am) will attend the Hawks game with me while tooling around the town during the day when I'm at the Sox ST game. We're spending the whole day together Sunday just touring the area...I'll probably bring the Konerko jersey for the daytime and the Seabrook sweater for the nighttime.

manders_01
01-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Wait a second! The Cubs game is the day before? Wow! Good chance that Manders will be in the vicinity then.

She'll be a cinch to see this thread, so we should hear from her soon. :D:

Edit: You guys are amazing! I'm still trying to deal with the end of the football season.

:roflmao: Mary you know me too well. Either that or I'm too predictable! :tongue:

I am planning on coming down that weekend.

BoKnowsBest
01-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Glendale is pretty out there compared to some of the other spring training facilities, so I'm not sure how well tooling around town will go. I do know that westgate citycenter is right there, which is basically a complex of restaurants, bars, and a little bit of shopping, which is a great place to pick up dinner/drinks after the game. I picked up a couple of Hawks tickets for that game as well, when the Coyotes were running a Black Friday deal where all lower bowl tickets were $25. Got a couple great seats for a great deal. Looking forward to spring getting here so I've got something to do in this otherwise fairly boring place.

ewokpelts
01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
I suggest asking for help from the sox.

also, i assume ur going to the hawks game that night as well?

MarySwiss
01-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Glendale is pretty out there compared to some of the other spring training facilities, so I'm not sure how well tooling around town will go. I do know that westgate citycenter is right there, which is basically a complex of restaurants, bars, and a little bit of shopping, which is a great place to pick up dinner/drinks after the game. I picked up a couple of Hawks tickets for that game as well, when the Coyotes were running a Black Friday deal where all lower bowl tickets were $25. Got a couple great seats for a great deal. Looking forward to spring getting here so I've got something to do in this otherwise fairly boring place.

It might be a good idea to pick a restaurant or bar and a time to meet there between the two events, assuming there's some time. (Is there?) Here's the link to the westgate directory.

http://www.westgatecitycenter.com/cat_list.php#C6

roylestillman
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
The Hawks game is at 6:00 AZ time so it's going to be tight. Got my Coyote tickets and they will end up being cheaper than any of the Spring Training tickets I'll buy this year.

skobabe8
01-06-2010, 11:08 AM
My attention has completely turned to spring training now.

I plan to hit every establishment in Westgate.

:cool:

MarySwiss
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM
The Hawks game is at 6:00 AZ time so it's going to be tight. Got my Coyote tickets and they will end up being cheaper than any of the Spring Training tickets I'll buy this year.

I'm not that familiar with Glendale, but I believe that all three---Camelback Ranch, Westgate, and Jobing.com Arena--are very close to one another.

skobabe8
01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm not that familiar with Glendale, but I believe that all three---Camelback Ranch, Westgate, and Jobing.com Arena--are very close to one another.

It appears that way from the maps.

My challenge will be landing at 4:45, getting our luggage, getting our car, and deciding if we have time to go directly to the Hawks game before checking into the hotel.

MarySwiss
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM

My challenge will be landing at 4:45, getting our luggage, getting our car, and deciding if we have time to go directly to the Hawks game before checking into the hotel.

I'm guessing the really challenging part of that will be the drive from Sky Harbor to Glendale. I-10 can back up quickly. Let's hope your flight is on time--or early! :smile:

mrfourni
01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I got an e-mail today. Apparantly I'm a member of the White Sox "Black List". If anyone is interested in buying tickets during the presale tomorrow at 11:00 a.m., the password is GLENDALE

chisoxfanatic
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM

Hopefully you're able to make it to the Hawks' game!!!

WestSider
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Our group is also doing the White Sox in the afternoon and the Blackhawks at 6pm. With the number of Chicago fans in Phoenix for Spring Training, it might be a home game for the Blackhawks! :smile: Any suggestions of how to acquire Coyotes tickets at good value? :?:

By the way, when I spoke to the ticket rep in the Camelback Ranch office today, he mentioned that parking is going to be free this year.

manders_01
01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Our group is also doing the White Sox in the afternoon and the Blackhawks at 6pm. With the number of Chicago fans in Phoenix for Spring Training, it might be a home game for the Blackhawks! :smile: Any suggestions of how to acquire Coyotes tickets at good value? :?:

By the way, when I spoke to the ticket rep in the Camelback Ranch office today, he mentioned that parking is going to be free this year.

That's great news! :thumbsup:

chisoxfanatic
01-12-2010, 11:33 PM

I think someone mentioned that Hawks' games in Phoenix seem close to home games regardless. We're buying our tickets at the gate, since the Coyotes don't sell out. I'm looking forward to having tons of Hawks fans there. :smile:

So, my boyfriend will be dropping me off at Camelback Ranch and then tooling around the area while I'm at the Sox ST game...Is there a little drop off/pick up circle near the place?

ewokpelts
01-12-2010, 11:46 PM

By the way, when I spoke to the ticket rep in the Camelback Ranch office today, he mentioned that parking is going to be free this year.plenty of good seats online

TDog
01-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I think someone mentioned that Hawks' games in Phoenix seem close to home games regardless. We're buying our tickets at the gate, since the Coyotes don't sell out. I'm looking forward to having tons of Hawks fans there. :smile:

So, my boyfriend will be dropping me off at Camelback Ranch and then tooling around the area while I'm at the Sox ST game...Is there a little drop off/pick up circle near the place?

When I was in Glendale last week, I went to see a game between the Coyotes and Sharks. I didn't see a drop-off circle, but you shouldn't have much trouble dropping off someone at the door. I have no idea why Glendale and San Jose have NHL teams when most fans in the cities don't have experience playing hockey in their youth. It wouldn't take many Hawks fans to overwhelm the Coyotes fans, especially with the number of transplanted Chicagoans in the area.

The Coyotes' arena was less than half full. I played hockey when I was a kid, but I didn't enjoy the game much. I was in the front row of a luxury box looking down on centre ice, and I started dozing off during the second period. I left during the second intermission.