PDA

View Full Version : White Sox everywhere

gr8mexico
01-05-2010, 11:39 AM
It seems like everywhere you go now everybody is wearing more White Sox stuff then ever before.
Is it because of President Obama?
Even the fastest man in the world wears a White Sox hat.
http://www.men-access.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/usain-bolt-chicago-white-sox-baseball-cap-hat-berlin.jpg

chunk
01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
It seems like everywhere you go now everybody is wearing more White Sox stuff then ever before.

IIRC After the redesign to the B&W, sales of caps exploded. I think it was one of the best selling caps of the 90s, and it was hugely popular in the rap community. It has a strong aesthetic, and like most sports apparel, a lot of people wearing it aren't necessarily fans. But I would certainly expect that President Obama being a fan, which is well known, helps.

Hell, while traveling in Europe years ago I met a cute New Zealander wearing a Sox hat.

Edit: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2009-04-05-obama-white-sox_N.htm Sales are up 25% because of Obama.

voodoochile
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for putting the red square around the Sox cap, I never would have spotted it otherwise...:D:

gr8mexico
01-05-2010, 11:58 AM
IIRC After the redesign to the B&W, sales of caps exploded. I think it was one of the best selling caps of the 90s, and it was hugely popular in the rap community. It has a strong aesthetic, and like most sports apparel, a lot of people wearing it aren't necessarily fans. But I would certainly expect that President Obama being a fan, which is well known, helps.

Hell, while traveling in Europe years ago I met a cute New Zealander wearing a Sox hat.

Edit: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2009-04-05-obama-white-sox_N.htm Sales are up 25% because of Obama.
Even around town you see more people wearing White Sox stuff and less people wearing Cubs stuff.

aryzner
01-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Hopefully he wears it when he beats Chris Johnson in a race. (I know, I know.. that race will never happen.)

And yeah to the people talking about early 90s rap stars wearing it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eazy_E

veeter
01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Even around town you see more people wearing White Sox stuff and less people wearing Cubs stuff.One more World Championship should seal that deal, for a good long time.

cws05champ
01-05-2010, 03:30 PM
One more World Championship should seal that deal, for a good long time.

Hopefully a couple more!!!

I don't think we'll see the true impact of the White Sox 2005 championship in and around Chicago for another 5-10 years. The young kids that were turned to the White Sox in 2005 will start to spend their own income on tickets and merchandise. If the Sox add another few playoff runs the next few years it would only help.

ewokpelts
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
lotta "hip" and "urban" kids wear them.....with the stickers left on......

not much to see here...move along!

kingpin_rcs
01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
lotta "hip" and "urban" kids wear them.....with the stickers left on......

not much to see here...move along!

This probably reveals my age but man, the whole leaving the sticker on thing really bugs me.

g0g0
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Instead of having a huge base I would rather keep it more low profile like it is. I hate seeing a billion Cubs and Yankees fans out there. It's nice when I actually see a Padres or Royals hat when I'm out.

Brian26
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
This probably reveals my age but man, the whole leaving the sticker on thing really bugs me.

The sticker bugs me, but my absolute pet peeve is the straight, ironed-flat bill.

Britt Burns
01-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for putting the red square around the Sox cap, I never would have spotted it otherwise...:D:

Very funny! You deserve a beer for that one! :gulp:

NLaloosh
01-06-2010, 03:58 AM

I don't know. I kind of like it. That's why I wear my suits to work everyday still keeping all of the tags and stickers on them.

I always keep the price tags on the sleeves of my sport jackets and I especially like the clear vertical sticker on my pants that gives the size. I try not to remove those.

I tried to keep the pins in my dress shirts but I lost too much blood that way.:D:

bunty_doghunter
01-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Maybe they are all Minnie Pearl fans.

http://thecomicscomic.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ed02a6788330120a582a9f1970c-800wi

soxfanatlanta
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
http://www.men-access.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/usain-bolt-chicago-white-sox-baseball-cap-hat-berlin.jpg

Can he hit?

aryzner
01-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Can he hit?
No but he can pinch run!

Are these allowed on the basepaths?

http://www.robbinssports.com/sporting-goods-store/images/sh-T1008-newton-international-starting-block.jpg

Waysouthsider
01-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Instead of having a huge base I would rather keep it more low profile like it is. I hate seeing a billion Cubs and Yankees fans out there. It's nice when I actually see a Padres or Royals hat when I'm out.

Agreed...nothing is worse than the onslaught of wannabee fans who "get on the bus" while its pulling into the victory circle....the worst offenders are the Red Sox, IMHO......the Yankees have always been an example of everyone loves a winner, but the Red Sawx nation b.s. just makes me sick.

I think the sCrUBs fans are something different...those guys need some kind of psychiatric help.

FarmerAndy
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
No doubt that the black hats caused a huge spike in sales, which were more due to style than fandom. Look at how popular Raiders hats and shirts were around the time the White Sox made the change.

In 1994 Jello Biafra & MoJo Nixon had a song called "Mascot Mania," and one of the lyrics was "Raider jacket dollars have the White Sox wearing black." I guess that was kind of a dis at the Sox, but the album was great. :smile:

Here's another article from the time, discussing the popularity of black in sports clothing.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138144/index.htm

All that aside, I love the uniforms. It's a classic look and I hope they keep it forever.

ewokpelts
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
i'm 30, and it's completly moronic.

ewokpelts
01-06-2010, 09:51 AM
btw, most of those yankees hats are for style too.....

cws05champ
01-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Agreed...nothing is worse than the onslaught of wannabee fans who "get on the bus" while its pulling into the victory circle....the worst offenders are the Red Sox, IMHO......the Yankees have always been an example of everyone loves a winner, but the Red Sawx nation b.s. just makes me sick.

I think the sCrUBs fans are something different...those guys need some kind of psychiatric help.

One of the many reasons I stopped watching BBTN on ESPN. I could not stand Red Sox homer Carl Ravach say with emphasis " The Nation". This has only come about the last 10-12 years for the Red Sox.

And I don't consider Cubs fans that much different than Red Sox fans. The only difference is that the Red Sox actually have some reason to be a little arrogant recently, but they are still D-bags. If you go to Fenway it's a similar atmosphere outside the stadium to Wrigley and I think that's the reason 30-40% go to the games(at Wrigley). Die Hard Red Sox fans can't get tickets anymore because they are being bought up by the young bandwagon yuppies and girls with the pink Red Sox hats. When I went there 2 years ago I got the same feeling like I was out side Wrigley....and even though the renovations at Fenway were good, it's still not a great stadium to watch a game from all over the stadium.

guillen4life13
01-06-2010, 11:46 AM

You're old. :redneck

white sox bill
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
You're old. :redneck
I just turned 50, I guess that makes me Jurassic LOL! :geezer:

pearso66
01-06-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm 28 and I can't stand it. In fact when I was 16 I thought it was stupid. I think when I was 12 I kept a sticker on my hat for about 2 days.

Warriorjan
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I've been known to forget to take the sticker off before putting the hat on. But then, I'm 55+, so I'm pre-Jurassic, even.

gr8mexico
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Can he hit?
He can probally be the only player to bunt for a triple. :D:

Nellie_Fox
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Maybe they are all Minnie Pearl fans.

http://thecomicscomic.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ed02a6788330120a582a9f1970c-800wi

Ahead of her time! She even has the flat brim thing goin' on!

I just turned 50, I guess that makes me Jurassic LOL! :geezer:

I've been known to forget to take the sticker off before putting the hat on. But then, I'm 55+, so I'm pre-Jurassic, even.You're both pups. :geezer:

chunk
01-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I believe the sticker thing has a common origin with another dumb dress style, color popping. As far as I can tell, stickers are left on to show it's not a counterfeit. In Europe counterfeit soccer jerseys are extremely common. Under the color on the back of the neck a counterfeit jersey has some writing that indicates that it's not licensed or whatever. So if you wear it with the color popped, you're showing that you're wearing a legit jersey, showing you have more money etc etc.

01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Can he hit?

Forget hitting, teach him to bunt.

markopat
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
i'm 30, and it's completely moronic.

I think it's right up there with the jeans falling half way down their bottom to show their boxers...I think it is completely disrespectful...

Daver
01-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I think it's right up there with the jeans falling half way down their bottom to show their boxers...I think it is completely disrespectful...

Whenever I see someone like that standing next to a puddle I make it a point to speed up and swerve towards the puddle.

Craig Grebeck
01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Disrespectful to keep a sticker on a hat? Yikes.

MISoxfan
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM

I completely understand how showing off your underwear can be disrespectful, but how is a sticker on a hat disrespectful? Who is it disrespecting?

soltrain21
01-06-2010, 10:42 PM

How the hell is keeping a sticker on a hat disrespectful?

petekat
01-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Might be an Olympian thing. Great to see South-sider and longtime Sox fan Shani Davis, put on his tattered Sox cap as he did his Gold medal victory lap

Red Barchetta
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I remember when the SOX introduced the black and silver trimmed unis. That caps were everywhere. Talk about bandwagon. I knew Cub fans who even liked the SOX caps and uniforms. My 13-year old nephew (at the time) switched to the SOX primarily because he thought the uniforms were so cool.

Their current uniforms are classic and I hope they never change (again) and they have a Yankee-like staying power.

doublem23
01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I completely understand how showing off your underwear can be disrespectful, but how is a sticker on a hat disrespectful? Who is it disrespecting?

The guy that sewed the brim, OF COURSE. 10% of his handiwork is being covered by a sticker.

twinsuck
01-06-2010, 11:18 PM
When I was in New York City I saw at least 5 people with Sox hats, I only saw one Cubs hat. :D:

01-07-2010, 12:12 AM

How can showing your underwear possibly be disrespectful when sporting a bathing suit is socially acceptable?

voodoochile
01-07-2010, 12:13 AM
How the hell is keeping a sticker on a hat disrespectful?

I always keep all the stickers, but move them to the underside of the brim.

doublem23
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM
How can showing your underwear possibly be disrespectful when sporting a bathing suit is socially acceptable?

It's socially acceptable to just wear a bathing suit out and about?

Nellie_Fox
01-07-2010, 01:14 AM
How can showing your underwear possibly be disrespectful when sporting a bathing suit is socially acceptable?A bathing suit is only acceptable in the appropriate environment.

The garment is called underwear, meaning it is worn under clothing. Seriously, nobody wants to see your damn underpants.

Nellie_Fox
01-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I believe the sticker thing has a common origin with another dumb dress style, color popping. As far as I can tell, stickers are left on to show it's not a counterfeit. In Europe counterfeit soccer jerseys are extremely common. Under the color on the back of the neck a counterfeit jersey has some writing that indicates that it's not licensed or whatever. So if you wear it with the color popped, you're showing that you're wearing a legit jersey, showing you have more money etc etc.At the risk of sending munch into a hissy, I'll point out that it's a collar, not a color.

DSpivack
01-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Might be an Olympian thing. Great to see South-sider and longtime Sox fan Shani Davis, put on his tattered Sox cap as he did his Gold medal victory lap

And he lives in Evanston!

Too bad he's an *******.

MISoxfan
01-07-2010, 01:47 AM

Wearing a bathing suit is not socially acceptable except in certain locations. If a person doesn't want to see someone in a bathing suit they can avoid it, this is not the case with pants pulled down showing underwear.

However, I don't actually have a problem with it. I only meant I can understand that point of view. At least there is an argument for it. I don't even know what the argument for a sticker on a hat being disrespectful could be and I'd like to find out.

Nellie_Fox
01-07-2010, 01:55 AM
I don't think the OP meant that the sticker was disrespectful, just the underwear. It was just an awkwardly-worded post.

C-Dawg
01-07-2010, 07:32 AM
At the risk of sending munch into a hissy, I'll point out that it's a collar, not a color.

LOL I seriously couldn't figure out what the original post meant; I was thinking something along the lines of contrasting colors... Changing that one word to "collar" changes everything!

MARTINMVP
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM

I started this exact thread just before Thanksgiving after I went down to the Mag. Lights parade on Michigan Avenue, and it was honestly a good 17 to 3 White Sox fans over Cub fans (someone wearing a Sox hat, jacket, etc.). It wasn't that cold that night, so a light winter jacket was all you needed. I'm glad someone else brought this up again though because since my observation back then, my opinion has not changed. Especially where I am, I see White Sox stuff all the time, and not a whole lot of Cub stuff.

There is one thing I will admit, and it may be foolish. I always knew southside was for Sox, northside for Cubs, but I never really realized that the far south suburbs is indeed, really Sox country. There are Cub fans here, and while I wouldn't call them an odd minority, the Sox are definitely more popular here (around Joliet, Mokena, Orland Park). Last weekend, I asked one of the Lids employees at Orland Mall which hats they sell more of, and he said Sox by far. I asked the same question at Triple Threat Sports in Mokena back in the fall and he said it was 75% Sox stuff (and they have so much more Sox stuff than Cubs stuff).

To casual people, Sox apparel also looks a lot cooler. You can wear the black Sox hat with almost any color combination and it also looks cool.

I started watching Sox games this year after a really good five years of baseball idleness. After I started to like the team and realized I slowly was becoming a fan, I felt guilty that I was essentially switching (as a former Cub fan), but one of my justifications was how cool the Sox colors and jerseys are.

g0g0
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't want to see anyone's underwear no matter how cool they think it is. What next? Are ass-cracks showing fashionable too? Nothing worse than seeing that while standing in line at a food place. :puking: But hey, if you want to look like a complete moron be my guest.

01-07-2010, 10:20 AM
It's socially acceptable to just wear a bathing suit out and about?

Are people appalled when they see a person wearing a bathing suit on and around the beach, in a hotel, in their yard, etc?

soxfanatlanta
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
What next? Are ass-cracks showing fashionable too?

Plumbers have been saying that for a long time. :redneck

tick53
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine brought a Rob Halford DVD over. It's from his last solo tour without Judas Priest. In the interview segment, Halford was wearing an official B/W Sox cap. I'm not a huge metal fan but my bud said that Halford wears on a lot. I have a new respect for him now.

JC456
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM
*****:clap::clap:......

gr8mexico
01-07-2010, 04:17 PM
The picture already had the red square when I found it online.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS311US311&um=1&q=Usain+bolt+white+sox&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18

voodoochile
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
The picture already had the red square when I found it online.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS311US311&um=1&q=Usain+bolt+white+sox&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18

No problem, was just cracking wise...

ewokpelts
01-07-2010, 05:07 PM
ask denis leary about under ****ing wear!

MISoxfan
01-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Are people appalled when they see a person wearing a bathing suit on and around the beach, in a hotel, in their yard, etc?

I don't think the three places you listed fit out and about in the context that he meant it. If you really wanted to nail him you should have listed water parks, rivers and lakes as well.

ChiSoxGirl
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but when I was at Woodfield on Black Friday, the amount of Sox gear I saw on people was pretty crazy. It clearly outnumbered the people in Cubs gear. Even overall, just paying attention to cars I see on the road, people in stores and restaurants, the Sox apparel is definitely outnumbering the red and blue of Cubbie fandom.

01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't think the three places you listed fit out and about in the context that he meant it. If you really wanted to nail him you should have listed water parks, rivers and lakes as well.

They were covered in etcetera.

Shoeless
01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
For most of my life the Sox have worn their B&W and I would never want it to change. I'm more interested as to whether or not Bolt really is a White Sox fan (for some reason I doubt it, he's a soccer guy).

twinslayer
01-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Hopefully a couple more!!!

I don't think we'll see the true impact of the White Sox 2005 championship in and around Chicago for another 5-10 years. The young kids that were turned to the White Sox in 2005 will start to spend their own income on tickets and merchandise. If the Sox add another few playoff runs the next few years it would only help.

Being a 12 year old when this happened, i actually agree. i will be getting my license this year and i'm going to be able to actually GET to the games easier. I also just bought a Beckham jersey. It might be starting as we speak

pistolesatdawn
01-17-2010, 05:04 AM

I dunno, I think keeping the sticker on is completely moronic too, but my pants are hardly ever not hanging off my rear end (unless I'm at work). . . . Plus I'm 30, so what does that say?

:dunno:

cws05champ
01-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground....

Nellie_Fox
01-18-2010, 02:26 AM
...my pants are hardly ever not hanging off my rear endWhy?

DumpJerry
01-18-2010, 08:55 AM
I dunno, I think keeping the sticker on is completely moronic too, but my pants are hardly ever not hanging off my rear end (unless I'm at work). . . . Plus I'm 30, so what does that say?

:dunno:
Let me guess.........you don't try on pants at the store before buying them?

goon
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Why?

tMwhl4IrPNc

pistolesatdawn
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Why?

It's just the way I've worn my pants since I was about 15. It's comfortable to me. Probably has to do with trying to emulate a certain style that was prevalent in the punk rock/metal/skater scene at the time too.

Let me guess.........you don't try on pants at the store before buying them?

LOL. Yeah, I'll admit I don't do that. But I've also managed to stay fairly skinny the whole time I've been wearing 'em like that so I know they're gonna fit how I like them to.