PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest passes on sale Thurs.

#1swisher
01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Single and Two-day passes to SoxFest 2010 will go on sale.
A limited number of two-night hotel reservations w/weekend passes are still available.

Thursday Jan 7, 2010
10 AM

www.whitesox.com/soxfest

Saturday $50
Sunday $35

Two-day $70

BainesHOF
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
$50?!

kittle42
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
And, of course, no single-day Friday passes w/o a hotel reservation. Sigh. I think at least ST holders should be able to get in on Friday. Hell, charge $75 - just give the opportunity.

This is why I haven't been since 2005. Oh, that and the Palmer House Hilton sucks.

ewokpelts
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
they should have this at mccormick place....

Cuck the Fubs
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
they should have this at mccormick place....

Nah, Rosemont convention center, then I'd be 5 minutes away :cool:

ewokpelts
01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Nah, Rosemont convention center, then I'd be 5 minutes away :cool:rosemont's not a bad choice, but soxfest needs to be more like how the brewers do their convention. big events for all types of fans(auto hounds, kids, deal seekers, ect)

Brian26
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Both McCormick Place and Rosemont would be terrible choices for this event. Soxfest needs to be a high-profile, visible event downtown where there are ample things to do before and after. McCormick and Rosemont are too far removed from the Loop.

I personally preferred the Hyatt, but the Palmer House is fine once you understand the layout.

BainesHOF
01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I understand why many people preferred the Hyatt, but I like the Palmer House for its history and old-school feel.

ewokpelts
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Both McCormick Place and Rosemont would be terrible choices for this event. Soxfest needs to be a high-profile, visible event downtown where there are ample things to do before and after. McCormick and Rosemont are too far removed from the Loop.

I personally preferred the Hyatt, but the Palmer House is fine once you understand the layout.I disagree. You want TONS of people. It's good for tv and the bottom line.

The palmer house is smaller than the hilton and towers(where the cubs and blackhawks have thier conventions). And WAY smaller than hyatt.

The Brewers and Pirates have thier fan conventions at the same venues that hosted the MLB ALL STAR FANFEST. Big rooms that can handle the crowds.
And the brewers convention max ticket price was $15 for an adult. WITH a FREE ticket for a game in april.

Sox have to make a decision about Soxfest. Make it an autograph show(like the cardinals do), or make it an event for the family(most other teams conventions). They have failed miserably since 2007 having it both ways.

They are leaving money on the table. A lOT of it.

ewokpelts
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Also, the hyatt was detached from downtown considerably.

Tigers have thier convention IN COMERICA PARK.

Twins have it at the humpdome.

ewokpelts
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
btw, tigers fest is SOLD out.....

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/fan_forum/tigerfest.jsp

Nelfox02
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Looks like Billy Pierce is no longer scheduled to attend?

Surprised Danks and Floyd are not on the list at this point.....Quentin?

Foulke You
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I haven't been to SoxFest since 2005 also. I used to like going but they have just made it too expensive for me. $50 for one ticket on a Saturday? I'd rather spend the $100 on going to actual Sox games during the season. In the early part of this decade, Sox Fest tickets were about $12 regardless of what day you went. Now I'm supposed to pay $50 to go on a Saturday for the same convention? I can't afford it.:(:

salty99
01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Looks like Billy Pierce is no longer scheduled to attend?

Surprised Danks and Floyd are not on the list at this point.....Quentin?

Players up for arbitration aren't invited until the have contracts, but I'm not sure why Floyd isn't on there.

Brian26
01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Also, the hyatt was detached from downtown considerably.

What are you talking about? The Hyatt is a stone's throw from the corner of Michigan and Wacker, within walking distance of the Loop or River North.

krohnjw
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok, picked up the 2 day pass.

This is our first year *not* getting the hotel package (the move to the Palmer House just made it so expensive now to get the full hotel package when I am within an easy driving distance). Where do you pick up the 2 day passes - it says they will be at Will Call...?

mcgeez8
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
there is a will call table set up near the soxfest entrance on the 2nd floor and they will give you the passes on saturday when you arrive.

krohnjw
01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
there is a will call table set up near the soxfest entrance on the 2nd floor and they will give you the passes on saturday when you arrive.

How's the line Saturday morning? If it's anything like it ended up back at the Hyatt I would imagine it's in your best interest to get there early. Using the elevators @ The Palmer House from the room I've never seen the line/entrance on the weekend. Any chance of picking up the will call tickets on Friday or should we just plan for an *early* morning on Saturday/Sunday?

Cuck the Fubs
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
How's the line Saturday morning? If it's anything like it ended up back at the Hyatt I would imagine it's in your best interest to get there early. Using the elevators @ The Palmer House from the room I've never seen the line/entrance on the weekend. Any chance of picking up the will call tickets on Friday or should we just plan for an *early* morning on Saturday/Sunday?

Excellent question!

mcgeez8
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
you won't have to wait in line to get your tickets at will call. But the actual line to get into the soxfest area will take awhile. At least get there by 8 or earlier, you can never tell how long the line will be. This is also depending on if there is a big name guy signing at 9am which usually draws more people early. Hope this helps!

Nelfox02
01-07-2010, 01:12 PM
you won't have to wait in line to get your tickets at will call. But the actual line to get into the soxfest area will take awhile. At least get there by 8 or earlier, you can never tell how long the line will be. This is also depending on if there is a big name guy signing at 9am which usually draws more people early. Hope this helps!

here would be my question for the people having to get passes at a will call desk Sat morning----the last few years they open the gates to sox fest before the official opening time to let the fans funnel into the fest and clear out the empire room and lobby of people waiting to get in to the fest, will they have will call passes ready to go to accommadate early let ins? or will people needing passes not be able to get in early?

mcgeez8
01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
They usually have it set up before hand. every year I have picked up the passes and have been let in early so it shouldn't be an issue. Also I cannot speak to whether or not the passes can be picked up on friday, but its worth a try

JC456
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Can someone on here explain why one has to get a hotel room to attend the sox Fest event?

beasly213
01-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Can someone on here explain why one has to get a hotel room to attend the sox Fest event?

I thought that was only for Friday. :scratch:

ewokpelts
01-07-2010, 05:17 PM
What are you talking about? The Hyatt is a stone's throw from the corner of Michigan and Wacker, within walking distance of the Loop or River North.it's closer to navy pier than the loop.

AND it's difficult to get there any but driving on lsd. The closet L station is Lake, but you have to walk almost three block in january weather to get there.

And parking in the hotel is what? 30 a day?

The ONLY thing I'll give Palmer House is that it's 50 feet from the L, and half a block from the red line. Which allows the Sox to let people park in Sox lots for free for the event.

I liked the Hyatt, but it was a pain in the ass to get to.

ewokpelts
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Ok, picked up the 2 day pass.

This is our first year *not* getting the hotel package (the move to the Palmer House just made it so expensive now to get the full hotel package when I am within an easy driving distance). Where do you pick up the 2 day passes - it says they will be at Will Call...?will call will be AT the palmer house. most likely where you picked up your pass in previous years.

ewokpelts
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
How's the line Saturday morning? If it's anything like it ended up back at the Hyatt I would imagine it's in your best interest to get there early. Using the elevators @ The Palmer House from the room I've never seen the line/entrance on the weekend. Any chance of picking up the will call tickets on Friday or should we just plan for an *early* morning on Saturday/Sunday?pick up at will call friday if you can!

Brian26
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
it's closer to navy pier than the loop.

AND it's difficult to get there any but driving on lsd. The closet L station is Lake, but you have to walk almost three block in january weather to get there.

Three entire blocks? In January weather? Oh no!

If you had Soxfest at McCormick Place, you'd have to use LSD anyway.

If you had Soxfest in Rosemont, the walk to from the parking lot across River Road would be longer than the walk from the State Street L to the Hyatt. Don't come back with the argument that there's a covered walkway in Rosemont, because I'll counter that you could use the Pedway to get over to the Hyatt from Macy's.

BainesHOF
01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
If you had Soxfest in Rosemont, the walk to from the parking lot across River Road would be longer than the walk from the State Street L to the Hyatt. Don't come back with the argument that there's a covered walkway in Rosemont.

That Rosemont walkway is brutal. It's long and they pump a lot of heat into it during the winter. It's like you're trapped in an oven. I get claustrophobic.

By the way, the L is extremely convenient for the Palmer House.

krohnjw
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
will call will be AT the palmer house. most likely where you picked up your pass in previous years.

We always got them at the front desk with the check in package - hopefully there's adequate signage!

ewokpelts
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM

If you had Soxfest in Rosemont, the walk to from the parking lot across River Road would be longer than the walk from the State Street L to the Hyatt. Don't come back with the argument that there's a covered walkway in Rosemont, because I'll counter that you could use the Pedway to get over to the Hyatt from Macy's.there's a pedway? first i heard of this.....

mccormick place has parking that's under $30 a day. it counteracts the lsd factor.

ewokpelts
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
btw, passes still for sale.

Warriorjan
01-08-2010, 08:09 PM
You can take the pedway almost, but not all the way to, the Hyatt. You take it around/through the Grant Park underground garage, through the South Shore station, and then you cross over the dedicated busway that conventions use to McCormick Place, until you hit the elevators for the Millenium Park garage/Harris Theater. You take the elevator to the Upper Randolph level and you're about one block from the Hyatt. I know there is a way to exit at Prudential Plaza but I haven't done that personally, whereas I have used the above route.

Nelfox02
01-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Just saw the list of attendees to cubs convention today---and yet again their event kills Sox Fest when it comest to former player attendance. They have us beat not only on quantity, but quality (5 HOF's coming including newly inducted Dawson)

I think Minoso, Skowron, and Kittle are great guys, but they come EVERY year. Looking forward to seeing fresh faces like 1 Dog and Floyd Bannister but come on, does anyone have any inside dope on why this event draws so few former players?

Seemed like its been in decline for sometime, I remember back at the Hyatt you say guys like Thigpen, Blackjack, etc. Is it the Sox not making enough effort? Is it our alumni just dont want to be there? Like, why do the surviving vets of the 59 team (other than Billy Pierce) onlly get invited when its some form of anniversary? I had a chance to talk to them last year at the fest, seemed to be having a great time. I asked Bob Shaw if he was coming back for the 2010 event----he said "sure will....if they invite me"

Jpgr91
01-12-2010, 12:47 AM

If you had Soxfest in Rosemont, the walk to from the parking lot across River Road would be longer than the walk from the State Street L to the Hyatt. Don't come back with the argument that there's a covered walkway in Rosemont, because I'll counter that you could use the Pedway to get over to the Hyatt from Macy's.

SoxFest partners with hotels because the hotels use the function to generate room nights for their hotels. McCormick Place and The DESCC would charge huge room rental fees that would cause the event to be much more expensive.

salty99
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Just saw the list of attendees to cubs convention today---and yet again their event kills Sox Fest when it comest to former player attendance. They have us beat not only on quantity, but quality (5 HOF's coming including newly inducted Dawson)

I think Minoso, Skowron, and Kittle are great guys, but they come EVERY year. Looking forward to seeing fresh faces like 1 Dog and Floyd Bannister but come on, does anyone have any inside dope on why this event draws so few former players?

Seemed like its been in decline for sometime, I remember back at the Hyatt you say guys like Thigpen, Blackjack, etc. Is it the Sox not making enough effort? Is it our alumni just dont want to be there? Like, why do the surviving vets of the 59 team (other than Billy Pierce) onlly get invited when its some form of anniversary? I had a chance to talk to them last year at the fest, seemed to be having a great time. I asked Bob Shaw if he was coming back for the 2010 event----he said "sure will....if they invite me"

I talked to a friend of Donn Pall's and he said they don't even invite him and he lives in the area. So who knows what the Sox are thinking?

ewokpelts
01-13-2010, 01:01 AM

Seemed like its been in decline for sometime, I remember back at the Hyatt you say guys like Thigpen, Blackjack, etc. Is it the Sox not making enough effort? Is it our alumni just dont want to be there? Like, why do the surviving vets of the 59 team (other than Billy Pierce) onlly get invited when its some form of anniversary? I had a chance to talk to them last year at the fest, seemed to be having a great time. I asked Bob Shaw if he was coming back for the 2010 event----he said "sure will....if they invite me"dollars and cents. the sox prolly dont want to pay for more attendee's hotels and airfare

Nelfox02
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
looks like individual Saturday passes sold out?

wonder how many hotel packages are still out there.......