PDA

View Full Version : What about Konerko in LF for Cubs series?


MattSharp
06-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Think it would ever happen?

I mean Konerko is slow we all know that, but Lee is a pretty lousy fielder also. Lee has been getting hits lately, but how do you justify taking out either the No. 3 or No. 5 hitter out of the lineup? Frank Thomas looks like he heating up and Konerko has 3 HRs in the last three games.

I think he should play a bit and maybe get a shot. I know this is a fantasy move, and JM would never do it, but you think it would work, and would you consider it?

Jjav829
06-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

I think he should play a bit and maybe get a shot. I know this is a fantasy move, and JM would never do it, but you think it would work, and would you consider it?

Ummm...No!

MattSharp
06-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829


Ummm...No!

Thanks for elaborating.....

duke of dorwood
06-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Just too slow-and he'd end up hurt

HawkDJ
06-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Definitly not. I think we have 6 games in the NL. I would start Konerko 4 times and Thomas 2 times. Thomas can be used as a pinch hitter. Pinch hitters are used much more in the NL than the AL so its not like he would never hit.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-12-2002, 08:52 PM
i dunno. lee is bad in left, but if its already broke, dont break it more - konerko in left scares me even more than lee, just because konerko doesnt play there regularly.

Jjav829
06-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp


Thanks for elaborating.....

No Problem. :smile: Fine I'll give my reason, which is easy. He is slow as hell. We might as well put Frank in left field. Frank's dumbass sits and Konerko plays 1B for atleast 2 games if not all three.

Dadawg_77
06-12-2002, 08:55 PM
Graf in LF with Jose at SS and Paul at 3b? Hey can Konerko still catch?

RKMeibalane
06-12-2002, 09:03 PM
I have a feeling Manuel will sit Frank for the National League games. If he intended to play Frank, we would have seen Thomas at first base at least once these past few days, but that didn't happen.

Frank has been swinging the bat well recently, but Konerko has had better numbers for the season, and he deserves to start. It wouldn't be right to bench the man who's leading this team in RBIs, not even for Frank Thomas.

It will be more difficult with Frank not being in the lineup, and that is something to be concerned about. However, I don't think the Cubs can score more than four runs against the Sox pitching staff. They have one player who is capable of putting runs on the scoreboard, and he strikes out at least as often as he is on base.

I'm sure that Cubs fans will take every opportunity to trash Frank once they find out he is sitting, so I advise everyone to stock up on the insect repellent in preparation for this series, because Cubs fans are extremely similar to mosquitos. They are annoying at times, but most of them aren't capable of doing much damage. They usually end up worse off than the people they try to attack.

CerberusWG
06-12-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Think it would ever happen?

I mean Konerko is slow we all know that, but Lee is a pretty lousy fielder also. Lee has been getting hits lately, but how do you justify taking out either the No. 3 or No. 5 hitter out of the lineup? Frank Thomas looks like he heating up and Konerko has 3 HRs in the last three games.

I think he should play a bit and maybe get a shot. I know this is a fantasy move, and JM would never do it, but you think it would work, and would you consider it?

No. I could roll a beer keg uphill faster than Paulie runs.

Nellie_Fox
06-13-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Graf in LF with Jose at SS and Paul at 3b? Hey can Konerko still catch? Man, every way you guys come up with to have both Paulie and Frank in the lineup becomes more of a defensive nightmare. Why don't we just do what the old fast-pitch softball legend Eddie Feigner did and field four guys, having them just sit down in the field at times and dare them to try to hit the pitching?

pudge
06-13-2002, 02:47 AM
Anyone old enough to remember Carlton Fisk in left field? That'd be Paulie in left field. Frankly, (no pun intended) it'll be nice to have either Thomas or Konerko off the bench to PH in these tight NL games, no reason to mess around, we'll need solid defense.

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 05:33 AM
i just envision paulie pulling a hammy trying to run down a ball...... ah no, i rather deal with lee or even josh paul in the field......

DrWatson27
06-13-2002, 07:36 AM
Let's see: we could move Maggs to left, put Graf in right, Walnuts could play 3rd, Frank at 1st and Jose at SS. This would be the best defensive line up ever.

Face it Paul or Frank are going to have to sit every game. IMO Pauly should get more starts-he's earned it this year. Who knows maybe JM will want to give Walnuts a few days rest to gear up for the Minnesota series following the interleague play.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by pudge
Anyone old enough to remember Carlton Fisk in left field? That'd be Paulie in left field.
Remember when the mets moved todd hundley to left field a couple years ago. ugly. one needs to stay on the bench.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-13-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Man, every way you guys come up with to have both Paulie and Frank in the lineup becomes more of a defensive nightmare. Why don't we just do what the old fast-pitch softball legend Eddie Feigner did and field four guys, having them just sit down in the field at times and dare them to try to hit the pitching?

I've got an idea that will solve the defensive liability "Wheels" Konerko represents in left field.

We'll put Konerko in left, if the other team's manager agrees to put snow shoes on his LFer.

:)

FarWestChicago
06-13-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i just envision paulie pulling a hammy trying to run down a ball...... ah no, i rather deal with lee or even josh paul in the field...... I doubt Steinway could run fast enough to pull a hamstring.

Iwritecode
06-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


I've got an idea that will solve the defensive liability "Wheels" Konerko represents in left field.

We'll put Konerko in left, if the other team's manager agrees to put snow shoes on his LFer.

:)

Only problem with that is the fact that they would still be able to outrun Paulie...

Notice lack of teal. :D:

LongDistanceFan
06-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I doubt Steinway could run fast enough to pull a hamstring. yours and phg is way too funny......... lmao :smile:

guillen4life13
06-13-2002, 08:08 PM
paul can't catch because of some hip problem or something... i don't remember but i had brought him up as either a C or 3B and someone mentioned the hip injury. The other thing about LF is that a halfway decent throwing arm is needed. I don't know how good Paulie's arm is in particular, but I know that most 1B are put there because they are either slow or do not have a good throwing arm. That's why Frank thomas is now a DH i think. But if paulie played 3B and caught, then his arm shouldn't be a liablity. still, it's not a good move.

RedPinStripes
06-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
i dunno. lee is bad in left, but if its already broke, dont break it more - konerko in left scares me even more than lee, just because konerko doesnt play there regularly.

exactly