PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Beltre signs with Red Sox

Fenway
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Red Sox sign FA third baseman Adrian Beltre

One year - ten million

SoxSpeed22
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
At least it wasn't the Twins. A little pricey for him though.

guillensdisciple
01-04-2010, 08:51 PM
that's nice.

LoveYourSuit
01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Red Sox sign FA third baseman Adrian Beltre

One year - ten million

That fire sale/white flag was the size of a cigarette, wan't it Fenway? :rolleyes:

doublem23
01-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't they still have Lowell?

DirtySox
01-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Yep.

And they were prepared to eat almost all of his salary in the Max Ramirez trade.

sox1970
01-04-2010, 09:33 PM

They're trying to move him to the Mets for Luis Castillo now.

doublem23
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Aren't the Mets already set at 3B?

BleacherBandit
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Aren't the Mets already set at 3B?

Lowell can play 1B, right? They're losing Delgado.

Pablo_Honey
01-04-2010, 10:11 PM
That'd be a bad trade for the Mets since Lowell is making 12 mil compared to Castillo's 6 mil unless Boston eats up 6 mil of Lowell's contract. Even then, there are probably better options to fortify their lineup.

Anyhow, no surprises here. Boston has been onto Beltre since the offseason started and they got the guy they wanted. 10 mil seems a bit pricey given the year he had in 2009 but it's only a one year deal with an option so not a bad deal for Boston if they can unload Lowell.

DirtySox
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Yes Lowell could play 1st, but the Mets are still interested in bringing Delgado back.

Fenway
01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Sean McAdam now with Comcast says it is 9M

http://www.csnne.com/pages/landing_redsox?Update-Sox-reach-contract-agreement-with=1&blockID=111629&feedID=4020

gregoriop
01-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Yes Lowell could play 1st, but the Mets are still interested in bringing Delgado back.

Oh, brother. It's no wonder why that team has been a mess. I'm not gonna feel bad for them spending money and not getting anything out of it though.

doublem23
01-04-2010, 11:00 PM

They really can't be that stupid, can they?

BleacherBandit
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
They really can't be that stupid, can they?

As the defensive quality of their team last year indicates, yes.

Fenway
01-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Nice 'cheap' stopgap for Boston.

Boras hopes he has a good year at Fenway and then try again.

Boston will flirt with the luxury tax figure but as a rule will not go over (they did it once)

It is brutal to be in the same division as NYY but obviously the Red Sox have held their own the past decade - Baltimore has given up and Toronto which is the 4th largest market in MLB cities cries poverty as well. Tampa at least is developing talent but can they keep them??

soxfanatlanta
01-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Tampa at least is developing talent but can they keep them??

If they get a few more Longoria type deals, yes.

VenturaFan23
01-05-2010, 07:27 AM
It is brutal to be in the same division as NYY but obviously the Red Sox have held their own the past decade - Baltimore has given up and Toronto which is the 4th largest market in MLB cities cries poverty as well. Tampa at least is developing talent but can they keep them??

Oh yes, how ever do those poor small market Red Sox ever compete against the Yankees? :rolleyes:

If you were Baltimore or Toronto, would you even bother trying to compete with those two shopaholics?

pythons007
01-05-2010, 08:05 AM
That fire sale/white flag was the size of a cigarette, wan't it Fenway? :rolleyes:

Yeah, man I thought the Red Sox were going down the tubes and going to have a fire sale! :whiteflag:

But with the John Lackey, Mike Cameron, and now Adrian Beltre signing we all now know Fenway was talking out of his ass.

Nice 'cheap' stopgap for Boston.

Boras hopes he has a good year at Fenway and then try again.

Boston will flirt with the luxury tax figure but as a rule will not go over (they did it once)

Are you ****ing serious!?!?! Dude you're talking like the Red Sox are some middle market team! Go buy yourself another championship!! :cuss::kukoo:

Fenway
01-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh yes, how ever do those poor small market Red Sox ever compete against the Yankees? :rolleyes:

If you were Baltimore or Toronto, would you even bother trying to compete with those two shopaholics?

Yeah, man I thought the Red Sox were going down the tubes and going to have a fire sale! :whiteflag:

But with the John Lackey, Mike Cameron, and now Adrian Beltre signing we all now know Fenway was talking out of his ass.

Are you ****ing serious!?!?! Dude you're talking like the Red Sox are some middle market team! Go buy yourself another championship!! :cuss::kukoo:

Of course the Red Sox are on the high end of spending but the Yankees are at another level spending 70 or 80 million more.

The Red Sox changed course after Theo hinted 2010 would be a 'bridge year' and sports media exploded in rage.

25 MLB teams don't have to worry about NYY until October - try being in the same division with them.

pythons007
01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Of course the Red Sox are on the high end of spending but the Yankees are at another level spending 70 or 80 million more.

The Red Sox changed course after Theo hinted 2010 would be a 'bridge year' and sports media exploded in rage.

25 MLB teams don't have to worry about NYY until October - try being in the same division with them.

I don't feel sorry for any team that is located on the East coast. Year in and year out you guys buy your teams. Spend ridiculous amount of money on players and buy your championships. Since the strike year, there have been 8 East Coast teams to win the World Series (Boston two times, Yankees five times, Philly once). If you want to get technical about it you can include Florida and it becomes 10 teams (but they don't overpay players, they just do fire sales). Boston and Yankees are always in the top tier of buying their teams if not the top 2!

Tell me exactly how this is a "bridge year"? How did they "change course"? Boston went out and got the top SP free agent. When Bay didn't accept the offer from Boston, they went out and bought another one. I'll start to maybe listen to your bitching when the Red Sawx dip below $100 mil or for that matter $110 mil!

Come crying to this messageboard when your team is signing underpreforming vets to minor league contracts. Come crying here when your team takes flyers on players. Come crying when your team resembles the Pirates, Padres, Nationals....

Give me a break!

Bob Roarman
01-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Yeah I think the Yankees and Red Sox should put all the money they make under a bed mattress and save it for a rainy day. Come on. This "buying championships" rant is getting kinda old. I cannot believe people still can't get past it. What do you expect them to do with all the money they make? god forbid they spend it on trying to win titles I guess. I don't get that logic, I just don't and I never will. It makes perfect sense to take advantage of their wealth and popularity. There's not a separate "better" trophy for teams that struggle up from the basement, develop every single player from their farm system and eventually, years down the road, get to the World Series and win it.