PDA

View Full Version : What FAs are still available?

pythons007
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
So what free agents are still available that fit the White Sox needs?
1. Lefthanded power hitter/DH/OF
2. Back up catcher
3. bench players
4. ????

I know that everyone on here creates a thread and inserts a specific player and ask why isn't that player being pursued. What I'm asking is what is available that the Sox need? What else do you guys think we need before the season starts?

steely712
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Here is a list of guys still available, and it was actually updated today.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/2010-mlb-free-a.html

g0g0
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I would snatch Bengie Molina up in a heartbeat.

Chez
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I would snatch Bengie Molina up in a heartbeat.

Too expensive for a back-up when A.J. is going to catch 130+ games. Hank Blaylock would fit in nicely as a DH, but he's out of our price range too (and a Boras client).

jabrch
01-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Too expensive for a back-up when A.J. is going to catch 130+ games. Hank Blaylock would fit in nicely as a DH, but he's out of our price range too (and a Boras client).

What do you think Blalock is going to get? He hasn't been all that great the past two years, hitting in TEXAS. I can't see him getting too much - and if he does, then I don't want him. I don't think the Boras thing is an issue. At some point, mediocre ball players just have to take the best offer out there. Hank Blalock is not going to command Boras type money even if Boras is his agent.

He's averaged about 80 games played over the past 3 years. Not sure I'd give him much.

mzh
01-04-2010, 04:58 PM
What do you think Blalock is going to get? He hasn't been all that great the past two years, hitting in TEXAS. I can't see him getting too much - and if he does, then I don't want him. I don't think the Boras thing is an issue. At some point, mediocre ball players just have to take the best offer out there. Hank Blalock is not going to command Boras type money even if Boras is his agent.

He's averaged about 80 games played over the past 3 years. Not sure I'd give him much.

He played in 125 games last year, and when he stays healthy he has been very solid. I wouldn't mind giving him an incentive-based contract. He's no Vladimir Guerrero, but he still provides a lot of what the sox need/are looking for.

oeo
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Too expensive for a back-up when A.J. is going to catch 130+ games.

And I doubt he would even sign here due to that fact.

Hank Blaylock would fit in nicely as a DH, but he's out of our price range too (and a Boras client).

Meh. I guess we can't do much worse than what we've got, but that doesn't make the DH situation that much better. His bat is pretty weak for a DH. Plus I'd rather they get someone that can spell time in the outfield.

russ99
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM

I'd prefer Olivo to backup A.J., since he can throw guys out. But he's also likely too expensive and also prefers to start. Last I heard, the Sox were targeting Redmond.

If we can't get (or don't want) Thome back, Aubrey Huff would be a good pickup. He can play 1B, 3B and LF as well as DH. Another interesting name is Willy Mo Pena, who Kenny was after a few years ago.

I'd also love to see Kenny pickup another experienced starter off the scrap heap before we go to Glendale. After Freddy and Hudson our options are few, and the upper levels of the system are very weak at starter.

oeo
01-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd prefer Olivo to backup A.J., since he can throw guys out. But he's also likely too expensive and also prefers to start. Last I heard, the Sox were targeting Redmond.

Ozzie said he liked Redmond, but no one ever said the Sox were after him. One of the Sox beat writers said not to read anything into Ozzie's comments because they weren't interested.

VMSNS
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
If he's cheap, Vlad Guerrero wouldn't be a bad pick-up.

Zisk77
01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

If we can't get (or don't want) Thome back, Aubrey Huff would be a good pickup. He can play 1B, 3B and LF as well as DH. Another interesting name is Willy Mo Pena, who Kenny was after a few years ago.

I'd also love to see Kenny pickup another experienced starter off the scrap heap before we go to Glendale. After Freddy and Hudson our options are few, and the upper levels of the system are very weak at starter.

i don't think Kenny was ever interested in him. I think it was just the red sox wanted to give us Crisp and pena for Dye and we were not interested.

pythons007
01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Another interesting name is Willy Mo Pena, who Kenny was after a few years ago.

Is he even playing anywhere? He's an all or nothing type of hitter to, either a homer a wild swinging wiff....

pythons007
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't mind Blalock. He's still somewhat young, can play mulitple positions (basically what Kenny is looking for in the DH position) and used to have some pop (not sure where that went).

cws05champ
01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't mind Blalock. He's still somewhat young, can play mulitple positions (basically what Kenny is looking for in the DH position) and used to have some pop (not sure where that went).

Don't we have a player similar to Blalock already at 3B (with a little less power)? I mean Blalock had 25 HR last year but his OBP was .277... YUK! Give me Thome for 100 games (you can rotate the DH for the other 62) and probably for a cheaper price. Thome had 23 HR's in 100 less AB's than Blalock and had a OBP of .366.

tm1119
01-04-2010, 08:30 PM
What about Tejada? Provided we could afford him, I think he would be a better option than most of the other names being discussed. He could play 3B with Teahen moving to RF and DH Quentin. Or on other days he could just DH. A 1 year deal at about 5 mil could probably get it done. Whether or not we could actually afford that is debatable, but its a name to throw out there.

forrestg
01-04-2010, 08:51 PM
What about Tejada? Provided we could afford him, I think he would be a better option than most of the other names being discussed. He could play 3B with Teahen moving to RF and DH Quentin. Or on other days he could just DH. A 1 year deal at about 5 mil could probably get it done. Whether or not we could actually afford that is debatable, but its a name to throw out there.
I always liked Ryan church, he has that post concussion syndrome which limited his efffectiveness last year . he received 2.8 million last year. he bats left plays right field and is about 30. Would we take a flyer on him?

Zisk77
01-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Olivo just signed with Colorado

SoxNation05
01-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Everybody realizes that Molina is basically a lock for the Mets right? He is no back up.

I want KW to pick up an old starter much like the Freddy signing last year. You can never have enough pitching.

steely712
01-05-2010, 07:38 AM
What about someone like Sheffield as a DH? He would not have to play the field which would cut down on a lot of injuries and he can still hit the crap out of the ball, or even someone like Mike Jacobs, who is a quality left handed bat.

WSox597
01-05-2010, 08:00 AM
What about someone like Sheffield as a DH? He would not have to play the field which would cut down on a lot of injuries and he can still hit the crap out of the ball, or even someone like Mike Jacobs, who is a quality left handed bat.

Sheffield is a head case, and a known club house cancer. No thanks.

For pitching, I see Jon Garland is available. He had his moments when he was here. And he's only 30.

g0g0
01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Everybody realizes that Molina is basically a lock for the Mets right? He is no back up.

I hadn't heard the Mets thing yet. Interesting. Yes, he definitely isn't a back-up. I was just saying he's a valuable player and would be a great addition. I hope he gets on a contender though.

Sargeant79
01-05-2010, 09:49 AM

That's actually a pretty good idea, IMHO. You could still have the rotating DH thing going on, with one of Pierre, Quentin, and Tejada DH-ing each day. It does defeat the purpose of having Teahan locked in to an every day position, but it would give Ozzie the same type of flexibility with the lineup that it sounds like he wants.

chunk
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea, IMHO. You could still have the rotating DH thing going on, with one of Pierre, Quentin, and Tejada DH-ing each day. It does defeat the purpose of having Teahan locked in to an every day position, but it would give Ozzie the same type of flexibility with the lineup that it sounds like he wants.

Why in the world do people want a rotating DH, especially if it involves Pierre?

Sargeant79
01-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Why in the world do people want a rotating DH, especially if it involves Pierre?

Not saying I do, but Ozzie has said that he does.

And playing devil's advocate.... it can be a good idea if it helps keep certain guys fresh, particularly guys like Quentin coming off of injuries.

chunk
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Not saying I do, but Ozzie has said that he does.

And playing devil's advocate.... it can be a good idea if it helps keep certain guys fresh, particularly guys like Quentin coming off of injuries.

That's why it would probably be ideal to DH Quentin and find another OF, but a good one this time, not Pierre.

Sargeant79
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
That's why it would probably be ideal to DH Quentin and find another OF, but a good one this time, not Pierre.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea, but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen.

oeo
01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

I've never heard it involving Pierre, but how's that any different than if it was Pods?

Anyways, it's not a bad idea; in fact, it's a great idea. We need another outfielder in order for it to work, however. Having a couple of guys who can DH but also play the field would be nice to have.

Craig Grebeck
01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I've never heard it involving Pierre, but how's that any different than if it was Pods?

Anyways, it's not a bad idea; in fact, it's a great idea. We need another outfielder in order for it to work, however. Having a couple of guys who can DH but also play the field would be nice to have.
Not if they can't hit. It's idiotic.

beasly213
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Why do I see the Sox signing Crede to a minor league deal.....? I don't know why but I just think they will. :(:

Craig Grebeck
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Why do I see the Sox signing Crede to a minor league deal.....? I don't know why but I just think they will. :(:
I'm all for it.

sox1970
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Oh my.

DirtySox
01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I would be perfectly content with a Thome/Cust/Delgado. Strikeouts aren't the devil contrary to popular belief.

jabrch
01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I would be perfectly content with a Thome/Cust/Delgado. Strikeouts aren't the devil contrary to popular belief.

There is no such popular belief. That's made up by people to make other sound simple. It is very silly.

The problem is that if you don't put wood on leather often enough, you are unlikely to be a successful hitter. Ks are fine if they come with a .300/.400/.500 hitter. But Jack Cust's Ks are VERY bad. They come with a career .239 avg, and a career .455 slg%. What Jack Cust does best is NOT swing at the baseball - and when he does, he either misses or hits a HR. This is a bad hitter. Walks are nice - but not worth his low avg and lack of power. Guys like Thome and Delgado are well past their prime. If that's what we have to settle for, I'm ok with it. But it has nothing to do with strikeouts being "the devil". I want guys who do more than just hit HRs or walk. I want a guy who can hit the ball when it is thrown over the plate.

pythons007
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
There is no such popular belief. That's made up by people to make other sound simple. It is very silly.

The problem is that if you don't put wood on leather often enough, you are unlikely to be a successful hitter. Ks are fine if they come with a .300/.400/.500 hitter. But Jack Cust's Ks are VERY bad. They come with a career .239 avg, and a career .455 slg%. What Jack Cust does best is NOT swing at the baseball - and when he does, he either misses or hits a HR. This is a bad hitter. Walks are nice - but not worth his low avg and lack of power. Guys like Thome and Delgado are well past their prime. If that's what we have to settle for, I'm ok with it. But it has nothing to do with strikeouts being "the devil". I want guys who do more than just hit HRs or walk. I want a guy who can hit the ball when it is thrown over the plate.

Exactly! Cust is an exact replica of Nick Swisher to the T! I don't want a guy that can't do anything but walk and occasionally hit the solo shot. I want a guy that has some pop but also can put the ball in play and come through with a 2 out single with a man on 2nd.

I think we are done with the station to station offense. That obviously wasn't working here. That's not what the Sox had in 2005!

DirtySox
01-05-2010, 04:10 PM

This team has plenty of players who can put the bat on the ball. It desperately needs a high OBP power hitter. Of course it's ideal to pick up a slugger who can also hit for a high average, but there sure aren't tons out there that can be had for cheap. If the team is strapped for cash as we have been led to believe, one of those 3 players would be a very nice fit.

(I'm well aware of Cust's decline the last 2 years but I feel he'd post adequate numbers playing at the Cell. Here's hoping this thread doesn't turn into a full blown Cust debate when TDog gets here.)

TheVulture
01-05-2010, 04:32 PM

If you have a superior defender, why wouldn't you put Pierre at DH? For example, Kotsay at DH makes no sense to me when you have Pierre and Quentin in the OF.

I think the reason you don't want a DH-only hitter is because if you want to put Quentin or Konerko at DH for a few days for whatever reason, you don't have to sit your DH to do it. Unless you have an elite hitter like Frank Thomas, it doesn't make sense when you have guys that might need time at the DH spot that you still want in the lineup. I don't see the Sox acquiring a Frank Thomas type hitter any time soon.

pythons007
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Adam LaRoche!?! He has pop, can put the ball in play but with a slightly unattractive OBP. However, he does present the power lefty the White Sox would potentially be looking for, anyone? anyone? <crickets>

soxinem1
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I think we need to add a LOOGY to the list too, as I am not convinced that Randy Williams is the solve-all to that issue. I'd be surprised if they do not get some other option to go with or in place of him.

I'm not all sold on Miguel Tejada though. If he only hits eleven HR in playing half his games in that bandbox HOU is in, I'm not sure how he adds much production. And if he becomes the 3B, Teahan is nowhere near productive enough to be a RF. That would be a pitiful OF production-wise.

But the Aubrey Huff idea is a good one, as some posters mentioned. Though no great defender, he can DH and play LF, 1B, and 3B in a pinch, and can still drive the ball.

Adam LaRoche!?! He has pop, can put the ball in play but with a slightly unattractive OBP. However, he does present the power lefty the White Sox would potentially be looking for, anyone? anyone? <crickets>

This guy K's like wildfire. For what he would produce, we could get Thome back for much less $$$$.

jabrch
01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
This team has plenty of players who can put the bat on the ball. It desperately needs a high OBP power hitter. Of course it's ideal to pick up a slugger who can also hit for a high average, but there sure aren't tons out there that can be had for cheap. If the team is strapped for cash as we have been led to believe, one of those 3 players would be a very nice fit.

(I'm well aware of Cust's decline the last 2 years but I feel he'd post adequate numbers playing at the Cell. Here's hoping this thread doesn't turn into a full blown Cust debate when TDog gets here.)

I very rarely dislike Sox players before they play here. I hope we don't sign Jack Cust and he puts me to the test. I hate guys who don't swing the bat. Cust is amongst the worst. Nick Swisher is a good comparison.

NLaloosh
01-06-2010, 04:05 AM
I very rarely dislike Sox players before they play here. I hope we don't sign Jack Cust and he puts me to the test. I hate guys who don't swing the bat. Cust is amongst the worst. Nick Swisher is a good comparison.

I'd be stunned if the Sox signed Cust. I can't see any reason they would pick him over Thome. It would make no sense.

However, the fact that they've apparently shown no interest in Thome leads me to believe that they are seriously considering starting camp with what they have and making a move then or during the season.

cards press box
01-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd be stunned if the Sox signed Cust. I can't see any reason they would pick him over Thome. It would make no sense.

However, the fact that they've apparently shown no interest in Thome leads me to believe that they are seriously considering starting camp with what they have and making a move then or during the season.

The key word here is "apparently." We have no idea what the White Sox are really doing. They might go into spring training with what they have or they might be waiting to see how the free agent market develops before deciding whether to bring in a DH (and, if so, which DH). We just have to wait and see.

FarmerAndy
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
5 Starters + 7 Relievers = 12

1B Konerko
2B Beckham
3B Teahen
SS Ramirez
LF Peirre
CF Rios
RF Quentin
C A.J.

= 8

Bench:
Vizquel INF
Nix INF
Kotsay OF/1B
Jones OF
???? C

= 5

12+8+5= 25

I too would like to have a real DH on this team. But where does he fit on this roster? I suppose Nix isn't a lock for a job..... but if Nix isn't on the team, they still have to fill that spot with an infielder. You can't have just one guy on your bench to cover 2B, SS, and 3B. And obviously there will be a backup catcher.

So we can talk about Vlad, Thome, Blalock...... anyone really, and whether or not we can afford them and whatnot. But it all seems pointless to me, as I don't see how they fit on the roster.

If my math is wrong or there's something I'm missing, please let me know. Because I don't really want to see a platoon of bench players rotated in the DH slot either.

CHISOXFAN13
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM

1B Konerko
2B Beckham
3B Teahen
SS Ramirez
LF Peirre
CF Rios
RF Quentin
C A.J.

= 8

Bench:
Vizquel INF
Nix INF
Kotsay OF/1B
Jones OF
???? C

= 5

12+8+5= 25

I too would like to have a real DH on this team. But where does he fit on this roster? I suppose Nix isn't a lock for a job..... but if Nix isn't on the team, they still have to fill that spot with an infielder. You can't have just one guy on your bench to cover 2B, SS, and 3B. And obviously there will be a backup catcher.

So we can talk about Vlad, Thome, Blalock...... anyone really, and whether or not we can afford them and whatnot. But it all seems pointless to me, as I don't see how they fit on the roster.

If my math is wrong or there's something I'm missing, please let me know. Because I don't really want to see a platoon of bench players rotated in the DH slot either.

We don't need seven relievers with that rotation.

chunk
01-06-2010, 01:46 PM

I would venture to guess that Thome and Cust would put up similar numbers next year. However with the age difference I think Cust would provide the better investment.

I really really hope that they pick up another starter before ST.

Jim Shorts
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I think Cust would provide the better investment.

In my brain, the words Cust and investment do not go together at all...Unless Cust owns an investment firm.

But even then, I'd pick out of a phone book

NLaloosh
01-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I would venture to guess that Thome and Cust would put up similar numbers next year. However with the age difference I think Cust would provide the better investment.

In my mind Thome and Cust are not in the same league as hitters nor as a clubhouse presence.

Sargeant79
01-06-2010, 03:23 PM

That's the least of their issues.

mzh
01-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Jenks
Thornton
Putz
Pena
Williams/LOOGY
Linebrink.

That should be enough. With our rotation we shouldn't need a 7th long relief man like Carrasco last year.

sox1970
01-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Jenks
Thornton
Putz
Pena
Williams/LOOGY
Linebrink.

That should be enough. With our rotation we shouldn't need a 7th long relief man like Carrasco last year.

They'll have seven no matter what. Torres or Nunez or Dolsi will be in the pen.

FarmerAndy
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
7 is pretty much the standard in the bullpen. And while the rotation looks good on paper, I doubt they are just going to come out of the gate all cocky about it and only carry 6 relievers to start the season.

So, where does this DH fit in?

chunk
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM

I really really hope that they pick up another position player before ST.

Meant to say starting player, ended up quoting instead of edit. Whoops.

I don't really think Cust is ideal, but he wouldn't be the worst out there.

Zisk77
01-07-2010, 12:19 AM

Actually I would think the opposite. If the Sox were actually going to sign Cust that would be hoping to get one good year from him. So the "investment" part makes little sense. cust would just be a stop gap guy until a better option presents itself. Therefore Thome may be a better/cheaper option.

oeo
01-07-2010, 01:36 AM

Thome has been better than Cust every year of Cust's career, and that's in his upper-30's. What makes you think that's going to stop now? Cust sucks. He's never been any good and was just a flash in the pan a couple years ago. The mere fact that he's being compared to Thome is an insult to Thome.

gr8mexico
01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Well we can subtract 2 guys from the list.
Jack Cust just resigned with the A's
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/as-agree-to-sign-jack-cust.html
And Vlad received an offer from the Rangers 1 year 7 million contract.
But He's not happy with the offer.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/rangers-offer-vlad-7mm-contract.html

DirtySox
01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Vlad isn't likely to see a better offer than that.

tm1119
01-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Not a FA, but what about Mike Lowell? The Bosox were willing to eat nearly all of his contract. If he is able to pass a physical within the next few months I would definitely be willing to take a chance on him for the 3 or 4 mil + prospects it would take to get him. Not sure what prospects it would take, but I doubt it would be much. The Bosox seem to be pretty much trying to give him away so I think it would be a good idea to go after a very good hitter like Lowell.

gr8mexico
01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Not a FA, but what about Mike Lowell? The Bosox were willing to eat nearly all of his contract. If he is able to pass a physical within the next few months I would definitely be willing to take a chance on him for the 3 or 4 mil + prospects it would take to get him. Not sure what prospects it would take, but I doubt it would be much. The Bosox seem to be pretty much trying to give him away so I think it would be a good idea to go after a very good hitter like Lowell.
Mark Teahen for Mike Lowell.
Make it work Kenny

doublem23
01-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Make it work Kenny

Mike Lowell failed a physical for the Texas Rangers because he probably needs some surgery that will keep him out for a nice chunk of the season.

Pass, please.

DirtySox
01-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Mike Lowell failed a physical for the Texas Rangers because he probably needs some surgery that will keep him out for a nice chunk of the season.

Pass, please.

He has already had the surgery and will be ready to participate in full baseball activity by spring training.

Not that I would want him on the White Sox though.

Sam Spade
01-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Vlad isn't likely to see a better offer than that.
He might see it from someone other than the rangers though.

I don't think cust makes us any better at all.

russ99
01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Make it work Kenny

Why would we trade Teahen at this point anyway?

I hope Kenny gets more active soon, lots of guys are getting signed this week...

FarmerAndy
01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Why would we trade Teahen at this point anyway?

I hope Kenny gets more active soon, lots of guys are getting signed this week...

If the Sox are going to add another bat, somebody has to go from the current roster. They are not going to start the season with only 6 relievers.

But Lowell for Teahan still doesn't give us a DH. And if Lowell is expendable to the Red Sox, then why would they want Teahan? That's just an unrealistic idea.

rowand33
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
What about Lowell as a cheap DH?

Boston's asking price can't be too high.

Zisk77
01-08-2010, 12:34 PM
What about Lowell as a cheap DH?

Boston's asking price can't be too high.

Well, because Lowell is better defensively than Teahen (although I think Teahen is much better defensively than many on WSI believe). If that trade were made Lowell for a suspect than Teahen would go to RF Lowell to 3b and Kotsay/Jones would be your Dh.

Bah, just trade for Gonzalez and make Paulie the DH.:redneck

RCWHITESOX
01-08-2010, 12:39 PM
What about taking a flier on Xavier Nady. He's coming off an injury and could turn out to be a fantastic pickup.

FarmerAndy
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
What about taking a flier on Xavier Nady. He's coming off an injury and could turn out to be a fantastic pickup.

So then you release Andruw Jones?

tm1119
01-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, because Lowell is better defensively than Teahen (although I think Teahen is much better defensively than many on WSI believe). If that trade were made Lowell for a suspect than Teahen would go to RF Lowell to 3b and Kotsay/Jones would be your Dh.

Bah, just trade for Gonzalez and make Paulie the DH.:redneck

Youre forgetting about an OF in your scenario. If Lowell plays 3B and Teahen moves to RF we would still have Pierre, Rios, and TCQ as OF's. No need to start Jones/Kotsay. This is why I think it would be a good move. Gives us flexibility with Teahen being able to play 3B or RF allowing us to give both TCQ and Lowell time at DH to ensure their health.

If we could get Lowell for maybe Miguel Gonzalez(red sox are looking for a young C) and Retherford and only have to pay Lowell around 4 million next season then I would do that trade in a heart beat. Provided Lowell can pass a physical of course.

FarmerAndy
01-08-2010, 02:23 PM
If Lowell plays 3B and Teahen moves to RF we would still have Pierre, Rios, and TCQ as OF's. Yep, and you'd also have 26 guys on your 25 man roster.

cards press box
01-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Yep, and you'd also have 26 guys on your 25 man roster.

No, if the Sox acquire another hitter, they could go with an 11 man pitching staff and then would have 25 guys on the roster.

Incidentally, with the recent signing of Adrian Beltre, the Red Sox have no place for Lowell and would probably pay most (if not all) of Lowell's salary if they do deal him. If the Sox want to add a hitter, however, they would probably want to add a lefty bat. Lowell is a right handed hitter and, thus, doesn't exactly fit the Sox' needs.

I'm starting to think that if the market for left handed hitting outfielders/first basemen doesn't yield a top hitter at a great discount, then the Sox might go with what they have as well as keeping Tyler Flowers as AJ's backup. That way, the Sox could DH Flowers and/or AJ several times a week and get both of their bats in the lineup.

tm1119
01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
No, if the Sox acquire another hitter, they could go with an 11 man pitching staff and then would have 25 guys on the roster.

Incidentally, with the recent signing of Adrian Beltre, the Red Sox have no place for Lowell and would probably pay most (if not all) of Lowell's salary if they do deal him. If the Sox want to add a hitter, however, they would probably want to add a lefty bat. Lowell is a right handed hitter and, thus, doesn't exactly fit the Sox' needs.

I'm starting to think that if the market for left handed hitting outfielders/first basemen doesn't yield a top hitter at a great discount, then the Sox might go with what they have as well as keeping Tyler Flowers as AJ's backup. That way, the Sox could DH Flowers and/or AJ several times a week and get both of their bats in the lineup.

At some point you have to let go of the lefty idea and just get the best hitter you can reasonably acquire. I agree that we do need a left handed bat, but if Lowell is healthy is a much better hitter than what is available in that market.
And if it really comes down to it I really wouldnt shed any tears if Nix isnt on the team next season. Hes really not a necessary piece to the team anyway with the acquisition of Vizquel.

FarmerAndy
01-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Yeah, or they could just not have a back up catcher? Or if they go with a 4 man rotation, they will be at 25 guys. And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

They aren't going to start the season with only 6 relievers. How would that be a smart move?

FarmerAndy
01-11-2010, 11:37 AM
And if it really comes down to it I really wouldnt shed any tears if Nix isnt on the team next season. Hes really not a necessary piece to the team anyway with the acquisition of Vizquel.

So you'd only have one infielder on your bench? So if anybody gets hurt or ejected, then you have no infielders on your bench? That's a good idea that I'm sure any Major League team would entertain.

Save McCuddy's
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
So then you release Andruw Jones?

Jones is 50/50 to be designated for assignment out of ST anyways. I wouldn't think his spot on the squad is much of a deterrent to considering adding a better bat.

FarmerAndy
01-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Jones is 50/50 to be designated for assignment out of ST anyways. I wouldn't think his spot on the squad is much of a deterrent to considering adding a better bat.

While I don't agree with you that Jones is that likely to be DFA'd, I appreciate the fact that you at least realize that somebody has to go in order to add another bat. For some reason that seems to be lost on a lot of folks.

And in all my ranting here I'm not trying to say that I don't want the Sox to add another bat. I really do. I just think that when people are throwing out ideas, they need to account for the subraction that needs to be made in order to add something else.

That's why the Thome idea is hard to make work, because he can't play a position at all. A team has to have 2 infield and 2 outfield options on the bench, and a backup catcher. You can have one less guy on the bench if one of those guys can play both IF/OF, but we don't have that with our current penciled in bench of Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel/Nix. And there WILL be 7 relievers to start the season.

Bottom line is - to add a bat, somebody of the current group has to go. So when people are throwing out these names, I'd just like to see them account for how it fits into the roster, who you take out of the mix, and how all positions (mainly bench options) are accounted for. It's just the reality of the situation.

Save McCuddy's
01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Agreed. However, Kotsay qualifies as an IF/OF sub as he could spot at 1B. If Dye is the added bat, he also could spell at 1B as well as corner OF.

In the starting lineup, Teahen offers additional flexibility.

jej254
01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Agreed. However, Kotsay qualifies as an IF/OF sub as he could spot at 1B. If Dye is the added bat, he also could spell at 1B as well as corner OF.

I still dont understand why people mention Dye at first base. He has played all of 1 game at first his entire career. 1 game.

FarmerAndy
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Teahan does offer flexability. Actually, they all do. Beckham and Ramirez can move around in a pinch too.

But being able to play 1B doesn't really qualify Kotsay as the second backup infielder.

Chez
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
So you'd only have one infielder on your bench? So if anybody gets hurt or ejected, then you have no infielders on your bench? That's a good idea that I'm sure any Major League team would entertain.

The Sox played portions of last season (and others) with only one back-up infielder. Not ideal, but certainly not unprecedented. If an infielder gets hurt, you bring up a replacement the next day -- not that big a deal. Especially in light of the fact that Ramirez, Vizquel and Beckham can play multiple infield positions

Zisk77
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
The Sox played portions of last season (and others) with only one back-up infielder. Not ideal, but certainly not unprecedented. If an infielder gets hurt, you bring up a replacement the next day -- not that big a deal. Especially in light of the fact that Ramirez, Vizquel and Beckham can play multiple infield positions

...and Teahen as well.

FarmerAndy
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM

You always end up playing portions of a season like that, because somebody goes down and that's why you have the backups there.

But most major league teams start the season with a full bullpen and a full compliment of backups on the bench.

But your answer makes sense. In your words, "Not ideal, but certainly no unprecedented." I guess it's not totally crazy.

Does Nix have options left?

Chez
01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
You always end up playing portions of a season like that, because somebody goes down and that's why you have the backups there.

But most major league teams start the season with a full bullpen and a full compliment of backups on the bench.

But your answer makes sense. In your words, "Not ideal, but certainly no unprecedented." I guess it's not totally crazy.

Nope.

FarmerAndy
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Nope.

Well that just plain sucks.

russ99
01-13-2010, 12:28 AM

I think for the 25th spot it comes down to the 12th pitcher: LOOGY (Williams?) / last reliever (Dolsi?) vs. Nix or the hitter used to replace him.

Nix is out of options, and it wouldn't surprise me if Kenny makes a Thornton-like deal of Nix for a guy who would be the last reliever with some upside.

Also, don't count out Lillibridge. We have little speed on the bench unless De Aza or Jordan Danks somehow wins a spot. Lillibridge could be the 2nd backup IF and the designated pinch runner.