PDA

View Full Version : Where does Tony G rate

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-12-2002, 09:45 PM
among utility players?

There are not a lot of notable utility players.

I rate him ahead of Shawon Dunston, (who reminds me of those looneytoon episodes where daffy duck played all the instruments in the band), among others.

what do you fans think?

duke of dorwood
06-12-2002, 09:47 PM
He's been the most consistant the past few years in baseball

HawkDJ
06-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Definitly one of the most underrated utility men in the bigs if not the most underrated. Like Hawk says, everytime he plays he does something positive. He is just an all-purpose player that always comes through when you need him and isn't selfish. He is a very important part of our team.

As for today, all I can say is Scott Strickland is one tough cookie as Paul Konerko will gladly tell you. Graffy did a nice job adjusting to Strickland's nasty slider and scored the first inherited runner for Strickland of the year.

Tragg
06-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
among utility players?

There are not a lot of notable utility players.

I rate him ahead of Shawon Dunston, (who reminds me of those looneytoon episodes where daffy duck played all the instruments in the band), among others.

what do you fans think?

I don't know how good his D is or isn't.

Offensively, he's having a great year - one of the best on our team and probably the best of all the league as for utility players.

pudge
06-13-2002, 03:40 AM
The guy single-handedly won the game for us tonight - what about his catch on that pop-up? Friggin' Clayton should never have been starting this season IMO... Jose (despite his errors) should have been at SS, Graf at 3B. Glad to see he's getting his chances now...

34 Inch Stick
06-13-2002, 09:03 AM
We have been blessed with a series of good utility infielders in the 90's. I always liked the Little Hurt, Craig Wilson was good, even guys like Snopek could back up nicely.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-13-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
We have been blessed with a series of good utility infielders in the 90's. I always liked the Little Hurt, Craig Wilson was good, even guys like Snopek could back up nicely.

Paco Martin was my fav. utility player, but i take Tony G over him.

Randar68
06-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

Paco Martin was my fav. utility player, but i take Tony G over him.

Don't forget Scooter!

Randar68
06-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by pudge
The guy single-handedly won the game for us tonight - what about his catch on that pop-up? Friggin' Clayton should never have been starting this season IMO... Jose (despite his errors) should have been at SS, Graf at 3B. Glad to see he's getting his chances now...

No, Jose should have been at SS, Joe Crede at 3B, and Tony still as our do-everything utility guy.

BTW, Crede hit his 11th HR last night and is now hitting .319.
LTP also cranked one (his 9th)

raul12
06-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

No, Jose should have been at SS, Joe Crede at 3B, and Tony still as our do-everything utility guy.

BTW, Crede hit his 11th HR last night and is now hitting .319.
LTP also cranked one (his 9th)

:crede
still waiting for the phone call.....

MarkEdward
06-13-2002, 11:43 AM
I found this interesting: Graffanino has a higher RARP and VORP than Jose Valentin at third base. This is probably due to a small sample, but it shows Tony should be in the starting lineup everyday.

ode to veeck
06-13-2002, 11:58 AM
PHG's totally biased game summary
Tony Graffanino got another start, this time at third base by Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel. Manuel saw fit to leave his part of his house of cards unchanged with Graffanino getting another start hitting in the #2 hole. There are some things even the Tinkerer isn't foolish enough to mess with.

Purely an oversight on JM's part to not tinker with Tony's lineup slot last night. Tinker, tinker, tinker, tinker ... I'd hate to see what the guy's dick looked like

raul12
06-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I'd hate to see what the guy's dick looked like

:bundy
that's a little below the belt, don't ya think?

TheBigHurt
06-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
As for today, all I can say is Scott Strickland is one tough cookie as Paul Konerko will gladly tell you. Graffy did a nice job adjusting to Strickland's nasty slider and scored the first inherited runner for Strickland of the year.

when Strickland was in front of him 0-2 i though it was lights out. but he came back and he deserves a lot of credit for that.

FanOf14
06-13-2002, 01:18 PM
the Little Hurt, Craig Wilson was good

Are you referring to Craig Grebeck? He was #14 AKA "Little Hurt"...not sure who Craig Wilson was, any info available on him?

34 Inch Stick
06-13-2002, 03:23 PM
No Wilson came after Grebeck. I thought he was from the Chicago area and was here for a couple of years.