PDA

View Full Version : Chicago White Sox Tour of England

Blue Lou
12-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi guys,

I've read that the Chicago White Sox and New York Giants played an exhibition game at Goodison Park in Liverpool around the time of the 1st World War (some sources say it was in the twenties).

I'm looking to find a specific date (and photographs) if possible. I'm a fan of the team who play at Goodison Park - Everton F.C.

Can anyone help ?

Happy new year.

LITTLE NELL
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi guys,

I've read that the Chicago White Sox and New York Giants played an exhibition game at Goodison Park in Liverpool around the time of the 1st World War (some sources say it was in the twenties).

I'm looking to find a specific date (and photographs) if possible. I'm a fan of the team who play at Goodison Park - Everton F.C.

Can anyone help ?

Happy new year.
I believe they did a world tour in 1913-1914, if you google White Sox-Giants World Tour, a bunch of sites will come up.

TDog
12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I believe they did a world tour in 1913-1914, if you google White Sox-Giants World Tour, a bunch of sights will come up.

It was before the 1914 season. Reportedly, after the Americans joined the European war in 1917, Charles Comiskey bragged that of the countries the tour visited, all were allies of the the United States, which was making the world safe for democracy. Baseball was good for freedom and all that.

Of course, a Japanese pitcher who struck out a touring Babe Ruth after the Great War (before that conflict earned a number) was killed in combat against the United States during World War II, but Charles Comiskey was not available for comment.

Irishsoxfan
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
There is a decent book, The Tour to End All Tours by James E. Elfers that details the 1913/14 tour. At a quick glance I can see no mention of Goodison only Chelsea Football Ground in London. However I emailed the author a number of years ago seeking information about a later tour in 1926 (i think) which came to Dublin. He kindly replied but had little information on this later tour but perhaps he could fill you in on Goodison.

Blue Lou
12-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys,

I've looked into the 1913-14 tour and you're right... no Goodison.

I think it may have been a 1924 tour.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=White+Sox-Giants+World+Tour+1924+lancashire

Lip Man 1
12-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Here's what I have:

November 13, 1913 - The Sox and New York Giants begin their ‘round the world tour’ promoting baseball across the globe. The two teams would eventually sail home from England on the Lusitania!

March 6, 1914 - The White Sox return home from their around the world, series of exhibition games against the New York Giants. The Sox go 24 - 20 but the added 44 games take their toll when the regular season began in late April.

Lip

Blue Lou
01-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Found something:

MOD EDIT: Copyright Violation

Source: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/119409368/PDFSTART

eriqjaffe
01-01-2010, 10:45 PM
There's a book about it published by the University of Nebraska press called "The Tour To End All Tours (http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/Tour-to-End-All-Tours,672139.aspx)." I read it a few years ago - it's a pretty good read. I scanned some pictures from it and posted them in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61796).

Viva Medias B's
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM
In a White Sox history video from 1987, Jean Shepard tells of the tour being in 1914. The Sox played in England, Egypt, and Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). They came back to the United States aboard the RMS Lusitania, ironically. Not long after that, a German sub torpedoed the Lusitania, and over 1000 passengers perished.

TDog
01-02-2010, 01:03 AM
In a White Sox history video from 1987, Jean Shepard tells of the tour being in 1914. The Sox played in England, Egypt, and Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). They came back to the United States aboard the RMS Lusitania, ironically. Not long after that, a German sub torpedoed the Lusitania, and over 1000 passengers perished.

The Lusitania was sunk by a torpedo from a German submarine in May 1915. Of course, there wasn't a war going on before the 1914 season when the White Sox were touring the World with the New York Giants (who they would meet in the World Series in 1917).

jackbrohamer
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Ring Lardner's legendary collection "You Know Me Al" was published in 1916 and in part refers to fictional characters on this world tour.