PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign Byrd

Sockinchisox
12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4785125

Waysouthsider
12-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Probably a good sign for the sCrUBs.....depresses me by reminding me that we didn't sign Jaramillo....I sure wish we'd have found somewhere to stash Walker and brought Rudy to the Southside.

JohnnyInnsbrook
12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
I like the new twitter feature on google. Because this is news, if you google his name in you get a running list of tweets with his name in it.

Best tweet ever

"Welcome to the North side of Chicago, Marlon Byrd. Now the World Series clearly awaits!" - http://twitter.com/TheAricLeeShow/status/7241476402

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 12:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4785125

:shrug:

Jim Hendry was handed a (allegedly) highly rated minor league system and budgets on par with the Yankees and Red Sox. What has he accomplished? Pardon me if I'm skeptical of this latest transaction of his.

Scottiehaswheels
12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
With Hendry, I'm sure it was for Gary Matthews type dollars. LOL We'll be seeing them trying to unload him next year too I'm sure.

white sox bill
12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Expect the bleacher bums to come up with something cute when he comes to bat, like doing a bird imitation with their arms.

Oh those cub fans are soooo cute!!

MARTINMVP
12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
A decent signing, but three years? Better than nothing, but I don't like the three years. If this were an AL team and there were a DH, I wouldn't mind it.

MARTINMVP
12-31-2009, 01:12 PM

How about this? Peter Griffin style...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1hGGH5gyc

If you got annoyed when Cub fans sing "Go Cubs Go...," just wait.

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Expect the bleacher bums to come up with something cute when he comes to bat, like doing a bird imitation with their arms.

Soon the WSI FOJH & FOCC will be proclaiming that This Is The Year (again).

broker3d
12-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Another stupid deal by Hendry. 3 years is ridiculous, as he continues to give contracts too many years in length and continues to bid against himself. There was no need to go 3 years, he could have easily gotten away with 1-2 years. Instead, Hendry continues to repeat his mistakes.

I truly believe that Hendry is a good baseball guy, but he is a pathetic trigger guy. Absolutely the wrong guy to be making the final decisions.

MARTINMVP
12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
The Cubs radio intro song in 2009 on WGN-AM included the lyrics "this is our year." It was funny that they were still playing the song well into Sept. after it was established that they were done.

tstrike2000
12-31-2009, 01:34 PM
:shrug: .283 20 and 89 was a career year for Byrd? He could repeat it in the trash bin, but kind of a meh signing.

g0g0
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I like the new twitter feature on google. Because this is news, if you google his name in you get a running list of tweets with his name in it.

Best tweet ever

"Welcome to the North side of Chicago, Marlon Byrd. Now the World Series clearly awaits!" - http://twitter.com/TheAricLeeShow/status/7241476402

I hadn't noticed that feature. Pretty sweet!

white sox bill
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Soon the WSI FOJH & FOCC will be proclaiming that This Is The Year (again).
Yea if this is the year, they'd better hurry...

dickallen15
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Marlon Byrd and Mark Teahan make about the same money. Seems plausible.

Zisk77
12-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Good, that gives me 3 years before I'll see another thread suggesting Byrd to the sox.:bandance:

russ99
12-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Good, that gives me 3 years before I'll see another thread suggesting Byrd to the sox.:bandance:

Or Pods joining the Cubs... :D:

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Byrd takes Conte’s supplements without apology (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-byrdconte062409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/a382.jpg (http://snac.com/gallery.php?gallery=athletes&picture=a38#1)

thedudeabides
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
A decent signing, but three years? Better than nothing, but I don't like the three years. If this were an AL team and there were a DH, I wouldn't mind it.

It's being reported it's 3 for $15 million, which is pretty good value for Byrd. Although, knowing Hendry I'm sure it's backloaded.

gr8mexico
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM

Maybe something like this :D:
http://i28.tinypic.com/1zfl75j.jpg

DirtySox
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
3 years is kind of puzzling, but at only 15 million it isn't a terrible signing.

guillensdisciple
12-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Looks like he has a tendency to get injured. Perfect signing.

doublem23
12-31-2009, 03:07 PM
They would have been better served blowing this team up instead of running on their treadmill.

Whitesox029
12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Or Pods joining the Cubs... :D:
Yeah, the best thing about this signing for me is that it spares me the pain of having to see a former Sox hero, so to speak, go over there and play for them. It's not like he was one of the greatest Sox players of all time, but when I hear his name I'll always think of game 2 in 2005.

Foulke You
12-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah, the best thing about this signing for me is that it spares me the pain of having to see a former Sox hero, so to speak, go over there and play for them. It's not like he was one of the greatest Sox players of all time, but when I hear his name I'll always think of game 2 in 2005.
Yeah, seeing Pods in Cubs blue would have been pretty nausea inducing.

Foulke You
12-31-2009, 03:55 PM
They would have been better served blowing this team up instead of running on their treadmill.
The problem with rebuilding is the Cubs have a lot of backloaded large contracts that nobody would take from them unless they paid a large chunk of it which the Ricketts family has made clear they really don't want to do. Their most attractive trading chip is Carlos Zambrano but even his salary is above what most teams are willing to budget for a starter. There just isn't a lot of pieces you can move to make room for young players.

Also, in the NL Central, it would be a tough sell to start rebuilding when the division is right there for the taking just about every year. The Cardinals don't look like world beaters and the Brewers have only made themselves marginally better in the pitching department so far. As much as I hate to admit it, there is no reason the Cubs shouldn't compete for a division title next year providing they start hitting again. They were very similar to the Sox in 2009 with respect that they had good starting pitching but couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag which cost them a return trip to October. A division title is one thing, beating the Phillies in the playoffs is something entirely different though. As constructed, the Cubs would add to their 1st round futility by getting destroyed by the Phils.

guillensdisciple
12-31-2009, 04:27 PM

They risk losing the revenue they make with all the sheep who come to that ballpark then.

oeo
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, seeing Pods in Cubs blue would have been pretty nausea inducing.

Seeing anyone in Cubs blue is nausea inducing. That uniform is fugly.

Frater Perdurabo
12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Also, in the NL Central, it would be a tough sell to start rebuilding when the division is right there for the taking just about every year.

The Cubs, Cards, Astros and Brewers get to play 22% of their schedules against the Reds and Pirates, and therefore their records are inflated.

Imagine if the Bears got to play the Lions FOUR times each year instead of twice.

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 05:09 PM
The Cubs, Cards, Astros and Brewers get to play 22% of their schedules against the Reds and Pirates, and therefore their records are inflated.

Imagine if the Bears got to play the Lions FOUR times each year instead of twice.

That will only ignite the FOJH & FOCC here with their "the AL Central is lousy too" nonsense.

GoGoCrede
12-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Maybe something like this :D:
http://i28.tinypic.com/1zfl75j.jpg

Don't you dare sully Angels in the Outfield's good name. I love that movie! :tongue:

thomas35forever
12-31-2009, 05:22 PM
A couple of Cubs fan friends aren't happy with this signing. One of them thinks they'll be worse than the Pirates, but I assured him that the Pirates find a way to outsuck almost everybody every year.

white sox bill
12-31-2009, 06:00 PM
They risk losing the revenue they make with all the sheep who come to that ballpark then.

Not sure about that...the frats don't seem to mind losing baseball. But I admit the natives are getting restless. The Ricketts may have bitten off more than they can chew

soxinem1
12-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Marlon Byrd and Mark Teahan will have near identical contracts the next three years. Byrd has had a better career as well.

Byrd is a much better hitter, though him in CF everyday is a stretch.

I don't think Hendry hurt CHC with this signing. If he'd have signed here, everyone would be claiming the 2010 White Sox would have a 100+ HR OF.

Jerko
12-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I thought it was Paul Byrd when I saw the thread title.

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Marlon Byrd and Mark Teahan will have near identical contracts the next three years. Byrd has had a better career as well.

Byrd is a much better hitter, though him in CF everyday is a stretch.

I don't think Hendry hurt CHC with this signing. If he'd have signed here, everyone would be claiming the 2010 White Sox would have a 100+ HR OF.

You sure about that? I took a look at their career 162 game average numbers (that seemed like a reasonable list of stats to consider since Byrd is 4 yrs older and has been playing longer, plus Byrd is coming off what some might call a "career year")

BYRD
http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/Byrd.jpg

TEAHEN
http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/Teahen.jpg

Teahen strikes out a lot more and will hit into more of those frustrating double plays, but it seems to me that their career numbers are fairly close.

cws05champ
12-31-2009, 08:19 PM
You sure about that? I took a look at their career 162 game average numbers (that seemed like a reasonable list of stats to consider since Byrd is 4 yrs older and has been playing longer, plus Byrd is coming off what some might call a "career year")

BYRD
http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/Byrd.jpg

TEAHEN
http://home.mindspring.com/%7Edcrosby101/Teahen.jpg

Teahen strikes out a lot more and will hit into more of those frustrating double plays, but it seems to me that their career numbers are fairly close.

Those two are fairly even across the board statistically, and considering Byrd is 4 years older I think the Cubs again got duped into that 3rd year. Paying a 36 yr old Byrd $6.5M will come back to haunt them like many other deals have.

Frater Perdurabo
12-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Those two are fairly even across the board statistically, and considering Byrd is 4 years older I think the Cubs again got duped into that 3rd year. Paying a 36 yr old Byrd $6.5M will come back to haunt them like many other deals have.

Consider also that Teahen bats lefty and can play third base.

(Cue Daver's response re: rectal gum-chewing prowess and allegations of cranial-glove inversion.)

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Consider also that Teahen bats lefty and can play third base.

(Cue Daver's response re: rectal gum-chewing prowess and allegations of cranial-glove inversion.)

Remind me what is Teahen's contract with the Sox?

WSox597
12-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Seeing anyone in Cubs blue is nausea inducing. That uniform is fugly.

I've thought the same for years. It's a clown suit.

And that works on several levels.

soxinem1
12-31-2009, 09:36 PM

The only thing I noticed about Teahan's stats that I did not see before is that he might be an occasional SB threat, maybe in the way Carlos Lee was when he was here.

And I never implied Byrd was great. In fact I didn't want KW to even go after him. But with the lack of even decent CF possibilities left, Hendry did not get bilked, at least not like he did with Soriano, Fukudome, etc.

Who was the last CF on the White Sox to have as many RBI as Byrd did in 2009? But I can name many scrubs who had seasons like Teahan who didn't get $15 million extensions. They were released instead.

Bottom Line: A rally-killing, DP-hitting, K-prone (as you pointed out), Iron Gloved 3B/2B/RF will make as much as a guy who at least can make decent contact, show occasional power, and not hurt you in the field.

What has Teahan done to even deserve an extension worth $15 million over three years? His best season to date would be below par for any position he has played regularly.

Again, my main point was that if he had signed here for that contract, the predictable pro-signing responses would have chimed about:

A starting OF with 100+ HR's with him aboard.

Byrd being okay in the OF because The Cell's dimensions.

Screw Johnny Damon because Byrd is a better OF and had a better or comparable season, and at far less than $13 million a season.

I just don't believe in knocking the signing just because he is with CHC.

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 09:49 PM
The only thing I noticed about Teahan's stats that I did not see before is that he might be an occasional SB threat, maybe in the way Carlos Lee was when he was here.

And I never implied Byrd was great. In fact I didn't want KW to even go after him. But with the lack of even decent CF possibilities left, Hendry did not get bilked, at least not like he did with Soriano, Fukudome, etc.

But a rally-killing, DP-hitting, K-prone (as you pointed out), Iron Gloved 3B/2B/RF will make as much as a guy who at least can make decent contact, show occasional power, and not hurt you in the field.

What has Teahan done to even deserve an extension worth $15 million over three years? His best season to date would be below par for any position he has played regularly.

Again, my main point was that if he had signed here for that contract, the predictable pro-signing responses would have chimed about:

A starting OF with 100+ HR's with him aboard.

Byrd being okay in the OF because The Cell's dimensions.

Screw Johnny Damon because Byrd is a better OF and had a better or comparable season, and at far less than $13 million a season.

I just don't believe in knocking the signing just because he is with CHC.

Are WSI posters really pollyannas? I haven't noticed that, in fact I'd say it's usually more the other way around. You know who are definitely pollyanna's for the most part? Cubbie fans - FOJH/FOCC

Another thing I think you're wrong about, I don't think folks here at WSI entirely run down Cubbie acquisitions. Last year in fact, it was a virtual (no bad choice of words because it wasn't virtual it was real) Cubbie love-fest here going into the Cubbies 2009 World Championship Season.

soxinem1
12-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Are WSI posters really pollyannas? I haven't noticed that, in fact I'd say it's usually more the other way around. You know who are definitely pollyanna's for the most part? Cubbie fans - FOJH/FOCC

Another thing I think you're wrong about, I don't think folks here at WSI entirely run down Cubbie acquisitions. Last year in fact, it was a virtual (no bad choice of words because it wasn't virtual it was real) Cubbie love-fest here going into the Cubbies 2009 World Championship Season.

Once again, I am stating that if Byrd signed here instead of there for the same contract, the amount of statements of him being overpaid would drop. Sharply.

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Once again, I am stating that if Byrd signed here instead of there for the same contract, the amount of statements of him being overpaid would drop. Sharply.

You do realize that Teahen's deal is for less (albeit only one million) and that Teahen is 4 years younger? Then there is the fact that the Cubs give up a future compensatory (first round?) draft pick? The Sox gave up a failed former first rounder and a former forth rounder.

But how many Sox fans are carping about Byrd being overpaid anyway?

soxinem1
12-31-2009, 10:09 PM
You do realize that Teahen's deal is for less (albeit only one million) and that Teahen is 4 years younger? Then there is the fact that the Cubs give up a future compensatory (first round?) draft pick? The Sox gave up a failed former first rounder and a former forth rounder.

But how many Sox fans are carping about Byrd being overpaid anyway?

Nearly all of the initial responses of this thread.

I believe Byrd is a Type B player.

DrCrawdad
12-31-2009, 10:24 PM
The question I asked was, "...How many Sox fans are carping about Byrd being overpaid anyway?" Your response was, "Nearly all of the initial responses of this thread."

So, I reviewed the comments in the discussion:

#2 post in this discussion:
Probably a good sign for the sCrUBs.....depresses me by reminding me that we didn't sign Jaramillo....I sure wish we'd have found somewhere to stash Walker and brought Rudy to the Southside.

With Hendry, I'm sure it was for Gary Matthews type dollars. LOL We'll be seeing them trying to unload him next year too I'm sure.

Another stupid deal by Hendry. 3 years is ridiculous, as he continues to give contracts too many years in length and continues to bid against himself. There was no need to go 3 years, he could have easily gotten away with 1-2 years. Instead, Hendry continues to repeat his mistakes.

Marlon Byrd and Mark Teahan make about the same money. Seems plausible.

It's being reported it's 3 for $15 million, which is pretty good value for Byrd. Although, knowing Hendry I'm sure it's backloaded.

3 years is kind of puzzling, but at only 15 million it isn't a terrible signing.

The problem with rebuilding is the Cubs have a lot of backloaded large contracts that nobody would take from them unless they paid a large chunk of it which the Ricketts family has made clear they really don't want to do. Their most attractive trading chip is Carlos Zambrano but even his salary is above what most teams are willing to budget for a starter. There just isn't a lot of pieces you can move to make room for young players....

I don't see anything like what you said except for perhaps the Gary Matthews comment, but I don't think that poster was aware of the dollars of the deal. I don't know what you were reading. Folks here, in the initial comments and throughout, seem to be fine with the dollars but question the years. I'd go further, contrary to your portrayal of the discussion here, WSI posters have been positive about the acquisition. You can disagree because we all know that the facts have a well-known Anti-Cubbie bias.

tm1119
01-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Ehh dont really see anybody is defending this for the Cubs. He was clearly helped tremendously by the Rangers home ballpark.

'09 home stats- .282/.336/.538/.873
'09 away stats- .285/.322/.419/.740

'08 home stats- .299/.398/.512/.911
'08 away stats- .297/.362/.411/.772

Hes pretty much mediocre away from Arlington and hes already 32. The money isn't too horrible, but 3 guaranteed years at that money is a pretty bad signing. A 1 year deal with an easy to reach option for a 2nd at 8-10 mil would have been a much better deal. This won't set the Cubs back or anything because they have plenty of money and Byrd isnt a terrible player, but in no way is this a good deal at all.

StillMissOzzie
01-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Ehh dont really see anybody is defending this for the Cubs. He was clearly helped tremendously by the Rangers home ballpark.

'09 home stats- .282/.336/.538/.873
'09 away stats- .285/.322/.419/.740

'08 home stats- .299/.398/.512/.911
'08 away stats- .297/.362/.411/.772

Hes pretty much mediocre away from Arlington and hes already 32. The money isn't too horrible, but 3 guaranteed years at that money is a pretty bad signing. A 1 year deal with an easy to reach option for a 2nd at 8-10 mil would have been a much better deal. This won't set the Cubs back or anything because they have plenty of money and Byrd isnt a terrible player, but in no way is this a good deal at all.

So then the Cubs would be paying $13-15M for only TWO years and you call that "a much better deal"? :kukoo:

Hell, the third year is essentially a freebee under your way of thinking. While I don't think signing MB for the third year was particularly smart of Hendry, it's smarter than your idea.

Between Byrd and Soriano, the Cubs are stockpiling DHs at above-market prices.

SMO
:scratch:

tsoxman
01-01-2010, 08:06 AM

I truly believe that Hendry is a good baseball guy, but he is a pathetic trigger guy. Absolutely the wrong guy to be making the final decisions.
It's only for three years and $5 million per ...I would much rather have this deal than the Rios deal that we are stuck with.

rwcescato
01-01-2010, 10:26 AM

This guy has had 1 good year. He was released by the Nationals a few years back. His contract is backloaded too. Good luck. lol

tsoxman
01-01-2010, 11:12 AM
This guy has had 1 good year. He was released by the Nationals a few years back. His contract is backloaded too. Good luck. lol
Fangraphs WAR for Byrd from 2007-2009...2.6, 3.6 and 2.4 which for $5 million is an absolute steal, though he is getting up there in age.

doublem23
01-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Fangraphs WAR for Byrd from 2007-2009...2.6, 3.6 and 2.4 which for $5 million is an absolute steal, though he is getting up there in age.

I have no idea what WAR means or what it measures, but it's pretty convenient you're cherry picking his years in Texas to prove your point. Byrd's BA and OBP are over 30 points lower when he's not playing everyday in Arlington's launching pad and his SLG is 95 points lower. He has also logged 500 PAs in a season twice, in 2003 when he was 25 and in 2009 at 31.

DumpJerry
01-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Just wondering....if Byrd signed with one of the 28 non-Chicago teams for the same terms, would this thread have had more than five or six posts?

Probably not.

PatK
01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
It's only for three years and $5 million per ...I would much rather have this deal than the Rios deal that we are stuck with.

I think Rios is worth the risk.

With Byrd, WYSIWYG.

Not a bad signing if you ask me, but I don't think he's going to do any wonders. Not really an upgrade, but not a downgrade either.

tm1119
01-01-2010, 08:25 PM
So then the Cubs would be paying $13-15M for only TWO years and you call that "a much better deal"? :kukoo:

Hell, the third year is essentially a freebee under your way of thinking. While I don't think signing MB for the third year was particularly smart of Hendry, it's smarter than your idea.

Between Byrd and Soriano, the Cubs are stockpiling DHs at above-market prices.

SMO
:scratch:

I meant in between 8-10 million for 2 years combined. As in, between 4 or 5 mil a season with the 2nd not being guaranteed. That would a much smarter deal then the one Hendry did.