PDA

View Full Version : First Time Soxfest

stevemcstud
12-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey Guys,

This will be my first time at soxfest since I am from California and have been a sox fan since I was 5 (they were my tball team). My wife is also coming along.

Just wanted to see if you have any tips or tricks or simply pointers for managing my weekend at Soxfest. Thanks in advance.

Steve

mzh
12-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Be prepared for lots of long lines. If you are looking for autographs, its good to get there nice and early because they do strictly enforce the line limits. Also, depending on the seller, you might be able to find some nice memorabilia for either really cheap or ridiculously overpriced. I remember one year loading up on autographed baseball cards from Tony La Russa, Chet Lemon, etc for a dollar each, then coming back next year to find similar cards for $5 a piece.

ba3426
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm looking to get signatures on two jerseys from 2005 guys. Can anyone explain the way the autograph session works? Is there any chance of getting two from players (either at once or enough time to get in line twice)? Thanks for any info.

mzh
12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm looking to get signatures on two jerseys from 2005 guys. Can anyone explain the way the autograph session works? Is there any chance of getting two from players (either at once or enough time to get in line twice)? Thanks for any info.

The autograph sessions are in specific rooms, and the rooms open to the public about an hour before the player shows up and the session begins. Usually there are limits of 200-400 people, depending on the player. When you get in the line, you are given a wristband that gets you in to the line. However, once you get your wristband, you can't get any other autographs until you get to the end of the line you are in. So try to time when you get into the room so that you don't end up waiting an hour and a half for one autograph. A lot of times there are multiple players at one table.

ba3426
12-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it is one autograph per time through the line, right?

mzh
12-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it is one autograph per time through the line, right?
It depends. You can't bring in 4 or 5 balls for them to sign, but last year a bunch of players from the '59 team didn't object to an extra autograph for my dad, who was a huge fan of them. Probably no more than 2 though.

esbrechtel
12-29-2009, 11:44 PM

If you are looking for 05 guys dont expect to get more than 1 at all...their lines will be packed especially since it will only be Buehrle (very very very tough to get at soxfest), AJ (huge fan favorite at soxfest), Paulie (fan favorite) and maybe Freddie (has he ever shown up?).....

parlaycard
12-30-2009, 11:00 AM
If you are looking for 05 guys dont expect to get more than 1 at all...their lines will be packed especially since it will only be Buehrle (very very very tough to get at soxfest), AJ (huge fan favorite at soxfest), Paulie (fan favorite) and maybe Freddie (has he ever shown up?).....

If Buehrle will be signing at all. He signed a contract after he threw his perfect game. I think that might supercede him signing at Sox events, although Im not 100% positive.

jabrch
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
If Buehrle will be signing at all. He signed a contract after he threw his perfect game. I think that might supercede him signing at Sox events, although Im not 100% positive.

If I recall correctly, he can't sign anything specific to the perfect game...but he can still sign autographs.

Madvora
12-30-2009, 11:39 AM
If I recall correctly, he can't sign anything specific to the perfect game...but he can still sign autographs.
What's that all about? Can you explain this?

kruzer31
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
It means that he will only sign inscriptions about the perfect game through an outside contract he sigend (ie. Steiner Sports or whomever). So basically they paid Buerhle to have exclusive rights to anything signed about his perfect game. He can sign his name at Sox Fest but nothing about the PG. I believe someone bought the rights to him inscribing 45 Straight as well

JEFF

Madvora
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
It means that he will only sign inscriptions about the perfect game through an outside contract he sigend (ie. Steiner Sports or whomever). So basically they paid Buerhle to have exclusive rights to anything signed about his perfect game. He can sign his name at Sox Fest but nothing about the PG. I believe someone bought the rights to him inscribing 45 Straight as well

JEFF
Wow, that's weird stuff. What a joke.

JohnTucker0814
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM

JEFF

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he can still sign pictures of his perfect game, he just can't inscribe "Perfect Game" under his autograph???

beasly213
12-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow, that's weird stuff. What a joke.

Not sure what the "joke" about this is. Buers is cashing in on his acomplishment. Good for him.

Nelfox02
12-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he can still sign pictures of his perfect game, he just can't inscribe "Perfect Game" under his autograph???

This should be correct (at least myself and I m sure 100's of others attending sox fest this year hope so) I had no problems getting him to sign pictures of the no hitter, and at that time he was contracted with Steiner so he could not inscribe anything regarding the game

sports memorbilia has become big business, I am glad the sox still have events like this and picnic in the park. Yes, there are lots of crowds and you will be waiting in some long lines, but is nice to have a chance to meet the players and get autographs in person, rather than buy then online or shell out big $$ for the dealer events that take place in Rosemont.

beasly213
12-30-2009, 12:21 PM

That is correct.

Madvora
12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Not sure what the "joke" about this is. Buers is cashing in on his acomplishment. Good for him.
The joke is that something as simple as writing a few words has to include a legal agreement. I'm glad that he can make money off of his accomplishment, but I think the whole autograph thing itself is a joke and this kind of thing makes it even worse.

ewokpelts
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
The joke is that something as simple as writing a few words has to include a legal agreement. I'm glad that he can make money off of his accomplishment, but I think the whole autograph thing itself is a joke and this kind of thing makes it even worse.

Buehrle does a LOT of signing at events like soxfest and at kids days, a swell as "public" events like store openings, ect.

going exclusive on the perfecto inscription is only a temporary thing. in 10-15 years, after he's retired, he'll inscribe ANYTHING, as the demand for his autograph will have diminished by then.

by the way, here's a buehrle auto story:
Back in 2004, he was contracted to sign at a sprint store downtown, but his start was bumped up and had to cancel(sox pitchers cant do appearances on thier pitching days). the sprint store had everyone fill out info cards, as buehrle promised to sign some autos for those that waited, AND rescheduled his appearance. it worke dout for me, as i got a nice 8x10 of him signed with a certificate of authenticity(sprint gave me a letter apologizing for his last second cancelation). the kicker? the sprint store manager said buehrle himself called to apologize the day of the appearance and said he's take care of us in line.
he could have simply kept his upfront money and told sprint "sorry, no can do", but he honored his commitment plus some....

mcgeez8
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
by the way, here's a buehrle auto story:
Back in 2004, he was contracted to sign at a sprint store downtown, but his start was bumped up and had to cancel(sox pitchers cant do appearances on thier pitching days). the sprint store had everyone fill out info cards, as buehrle promised to sign some autos for those that waited, AND rescheduled his appearance. it worke dout for me, as i got a nice 8x10 of him signed with a certificate of authenticity(sprint gave me a letter apologizing for his last second cancelation). the kicker? the sprint store manager said buehrle himself called to apologize the day of the appearance and said he's take care of us in line.
he could have simply kept his upfront money and told sprint "sorry, no can do", but he honored his commitment plus some....

yep I can attest to this as well. Sent a great color 8x10 exactly what I would have gotten signed myself!

LongLiveFisk
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM

They may have it set up where you will have to pay extra for that, if they allow it at all. I remember going to a Fisk signing back in '02 and if you wanted him to write "HOF 2000" on the autograph, it was an extra $15-$20 or something along those lines.

ewokpelts
01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
yep I can attest to this as well. Sent a great color 8x10 exactly what I would have gotten signed myself!i left out how they tried getting garland to fill in(he lived not too far from the store) and he never showed.

stevemcstud
01-12-2010, 06:05 PM
What about merch to be signed? Should I bring Merch or is there plenty of good stuff to be bought to be signed at Soxfest?

esbrechtel
01-12-2010, 06:14 PM
You can go either way....

If you want an excuse to buy stuff then buy it...alot of stuff from the sox themselves is very pricey but some of the venders have pretty good deals

havelj
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
I have gone to SoxFest a few times and go for the QA sessions and love them.

I still find it odd that people will go to these to just get a handful of signatures and just stand in line all day.

stevemcstud
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Is there an Agenda posted anywhere? I can not seem to find one anywhere.

yazz32
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Is there an Agenda posted anywhere? I can not seem to find one anywhere.

Check next week. Usually they post it on the Sox's Website the week of
SoxFest.