PDA

View Full Version : White Sox 2010 Opening Day Roster

TomBradley72
12-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Here's what I came up with....unless we bring in talent from outside the organization.

Position Players:

Juan Pierre
Alex Rios
Carlos Quentin
Mark Teahan
Alexei Ramirex
Gordon Beckham
Paul Konerko
AJ Pierzynski
Andruw Jones
Omar Vizquel
Tyler Flowers
Mark Kotsay
TBD/Lillibridge for speed off the bench?
Pitching:

Jake Peavy
Mark Buehrle
John Danks
Gavin Floyd
Freddy Garcia
Bobby Jenks
Matt Thornton
JJ Putz
Tony Pena
Dan Hudson
Scott Linebrink
Randy Williams/LOOGY?

voodoochile
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Nix instead of Lillibridge, IMO.

I think they'll add one more bat and leave Hudson in the minors to continue his growth. he simply won't get the work he needs as the 12th pitcher on the major league squad.

stevemcstud
12-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Nix instead of Lillibridge, IMO.

I think they'll add one more bat and leave Hudson in the minors to continue his growth. he simply won't get the work he needs as the 12th pitcher on the major league squad.

I agree. They will want to keep Hudson in AAA developing and ready to take over if Garcia breaks down.

We will acquire someone on the cheap and my money is on Thome. Like I have said before if Matsui got $6.5 Thome will probably sign for us for $3.5.

If all stays the same though I think we got the division wrapped up.

khan
12-29-2009, 02:46 PM
While I'd prefer Hudson to be in Charlotte to take over for Freddy if/when Freddy breaks down, who will be the long man in the pen? Carrasco was pretty good in this role last season, IMHO.

I absolutely hate the idea of Flowers as the backup catcher for 2010. I saw little to nothing out of his bat in the end of 2009 that suggests that he's MLB-ready. He's got a long swing that's primed for strikeouts, and he's not exactly a finished product behind the plate, either.

I agree that Nix is probably ahead of Lillibridge, unless Lillibridge finally realizes what kind of player he is, and learns how to play to his strengths.

mcp5185
12-29-2009, 06:02 PM
While I'd prefer Hudson to be in Charlotte to take over for Freddy if/when Freddy breaks down, who will be the long man in the pen? Carrasco was pretty good in this role last season, IMHO.

My guess is that Torres could fill the role of long man out of the pen. That way Hudson could continue to be a starter and ready to go when/if Freddy needs a replacement.

MARTINMVP
12-29-2009, 06:21 PM
No doubt in my mind that Peavy has to get the opening day start over Buehrle. The perfect game has no bearing to me anymore. His performance after that perfect game was bad - the momentum from Peavy in his few starts were encouraging. Let that momentum carry over to opening day.

cws05champ
12-29-2009, 06:43 PM
No doubt in my mind that Peavy has to get the opening day start over Buehrle. The perfect game has no bearing to me anymore. His performance after that perfect game was bad - the momentum from Peavy in his few starts were encouraging. Let that momentum carry over to opening day.
They have been saying they want to limit his innings as well so I wouldn't be surprised to see it be Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle. I'm sure MB would be happy to go against other teams #4's. In our division that would mean pitchers like Sowers, Blackburn, Robertson, Hochevar.

DSpivack
12-29-2009, 06:48 PM

Starting on opening day is an honor that should be reserved for Buehrle. The order of the starters doesn't really matter.

BadBobbyJenks
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Hudson is ready, no reason to keep him in Charlotte.

mzh
12-29-2009, 06:50 PM

But why not keep him fresh by having him start in Charlotte? Besides, I'd rather have another batter than Hudson be the 12th pitcher

raven1
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm fine with this lineup - I think the pitching staff is one of the tops in the major leagues (better than #12 regardless of what the Tribune says) and like the overall balance (improved defense) & depth of this lineup. My only concern is that the offense is still one big bat short to replace what Dye & Thome added when they were healthy/younger. Ozzie's rotating DH plan may be good enough to get through the first couple months of the season until they can get a bargain on a big bat, but these players produced a total of 154 home runs & 609 RBI last year. Even allowing for improved numbers from more playing time/full time role for some of these players, that's not nearly enough runs for the Sox to be competitive. If we don't get either another big bat or career seasons from Quentin/Rios/Konerko/Pierre with breakthrough seasons from Beckham/Teahen, this will be a very long year of 2-1 losses.

Daver
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Here's what I came up with....unless we bring in talent from outside the organization.

Position Players:

Juan Pierre
Alex Rios
Carlos Quentin
Mark Teahan
Alexei Ramirex
Gordon Beckham
Paul Konerko
AJ Pierzynski
Andruw Jones
Omar Vizquel
Tyler Flowers
Mark Kotsay
TBD/Lillibridge for speed off the bench?
Pitching:

Jake Peavy
Mark Buehrle
John Danks
Gavin Floyd
Freddy Garcia
Bobby Jenks
Matt Thornton
JJ Putz
Tony Pena
Dan Hudson
Scott Linebrink
Randy Williams/LOOGY?

A below average defensive team with questionable offense, and a very good starting rotation with a questionable bullpen.

2010 ought to be a hoot.

JB98
12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
A below average defensive team with questionable offense, and a very good starting rotation with a questionable bullpen.

2010 ought to be a hoot.

Yeah, well, everyone else in the division blows, too. Some team that isn't very good is going to win the AL Central in 2010. Why not the Sox?

rdwj
12-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Starting on opening day is an honor that should be reserved for Buehrle. The order of the starters doesn't really matter.

Agree 100%

Daver
12-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Yeah, pitchers that have thrown a perfect game and more than one no hitter are a dime a dozen, Mark should be happy to be in the rotation.

dickallen15
12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah, well, everyone else in the division blows, too. Some team that isn't very good is going to win the AL Central in 2010. Why not the Sox?

I think Minnesota is a pretty good team. They won some games last year with Mauer out a month, Morneau out a month and Slowey out half the season.

JB98
12-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I think Minnesota is a pretty good team. They won some games last year with Mauer out a month, Morneau out a month and Slowey out half the season.

They have a better offense than the Sox. They can't match the Sox in the starting rotation, however.

Minnesota's ceiling is in that 85-88 win range. I figure the Sox have a similar ceiling this year.

doublem23
12-29-2009, 09:37 PM

They suck.

They're also not playing 81 games in their jumbo pinball machine. If they win 10 games this year, I'll be amazed. AMAZED.

russ99
12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
Looks good, but I'd go with De Aza as the speed guy over Nix or Lillibridge. Both are in Ozzie's doghouse and Vizquel can and will back up at every IF position.

Also, Danks or Viciedo could force their way onto the team with a good spring.

Craig Grebeck
12-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Seems to be our strategy. Embarrassing.

Hitmen77
12-30-2009, 09:38 AM

The Sox need one more legitimate bat in their lineup before I'm going to get my hopes up. If KW is seriously going to go with Kotsay/Jones in the everyday lineup, then the Sox are not serious about contending in 2010.

I realize that any DH we'd get isn't going to be a superstar, but if we got someone who was at least passable as an everyday bat in our lineup, then yes I think the Sox could contend in a weak division. (of course, we're counting on Quentin and Rios to rebound too)

What makes you say that? I'm excited about the kid, but I hope the Sox haven't already assumed that he's ready to be an everyday starter in the majors.

asindc
12-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Seems to be our strategy. Embarrassing.

I see no indication that it is the Sox front office strategy.

voodoochile
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Me either, but it's end of December and the Sox aren't a shoe in to win the World Series for the next decade straight, so obviously it's time to start hammering management hard...:rolleyes:

soxfanreggie
12-30-2009, 11:56 AM
They suck.

They're also not playing 81 games in their jumbo pinball machine. If they win 10 games this year, I'll be amazed. AMAZED.

If there's a bet there, I'd take it. :tongue:

Yeah, pitchers that have thrown a perfect game and more than one no hitter are a dime a dozen, Mark should be happy to be in the rotation.

I would have Burls start, but I can understand his point. You wouldn't want to have Nolan Ryan be your Opening Day starter based on past laurels, although I know that point is different than Burls. Let's just be happy our first two starters have shown Cy Young-type talent many times and could both have over 15 wins this year.

Craig Grebeck
12-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Ozzie is acting awfully pumped about a pedestrian RF situation and an awful DH situation. Excuse me for considering that a pathetic attitude.

Me either, but it's end of December and the Sox aren't a shoe in to win the World Series for the next decade straight, so obviously it's time to start hammering management hard...:rolleyes:
They have the best young stable of pitching in baseball. With a little bit of money spent, they will be contenders. Right now, they are middle of the pack.

chisox77
12-31-2009, 07:00 PM
The White Sox will add another bat for DH . . . the pitching will be good to excellent . . . defense will be okay. I'm not sure what kind of record they will have, but it seems this can either be either good or bad, with no in between. There are a lot of variables.

stevemcstud
01-01-2010, 04:39 PM
The Sox need one more legitimate bat in their lineup before I'm going to get my hopes up. If KW is seriously going to go with Kotsay/Jones in the everyday lineup, then the Sox are not serious about contending in 2010.

I realize that any DH we'd get isn't going to be a superstar, but if we got someone who was at least passable as an everyday bat in our lineup, then yes I think the Sox could contend in a weak division. (of course, we're counting on Quentin and Rios to rebound too)

Dude, we finished only 7 out. One could almost reasonably assume that replacing Jose C. with Peavy will more than pick up those 7 games.

With a full season of Gordon and Quentin are offense will be at minimum as good as last year. The bench is a hell of a lot better and not to mention Gordon has matured a year and will def. be better than last year defensively.

LoveYourSuit
01-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Agreed. And Peavy looks like a real classy guy and wouldn't mind it.

Loaiza did the same for Buehrle after his near CY Young season.

LoveYourSuit
01-01-2010, 05:41 PM

:?: You think maybe sitting for 5 months might kill whatever momentum it is you are talking about?

Brian26
01-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Contreras never should have had the nod in 2007. This could have been Buehrle's 9th in a row.

As for Buehrle tanking after the Perfect Game, that's ridiculous. He got no-decisions in a number of games in Aug & Sept where the bullpen completely tanked.

sox1970
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
If Buehrle had the opening day streak of 8 or 9 years, yeah he probably should keep it going. He doesn't. Peavy should start opening day.

gosox41
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I agree. They will want to keep Hudson in AAA developing and ready to take over if Garcia breaks down.

We will acquire someone on the cheap and my money is on Thome. Like I have said before if Matsui got $6.5 Thome will probably sign for us for $3.5.

If all stays the same though I think we got the division wrapped up.

Thanks for jinxing us.:tongue::tongue:

Bob

seasontickets
01-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Yes, but I think with the loss of the Twinkey Dome, that could tremendously hurt them, even upwards of 5 games. But Minnesota defies the odds every time, don't they.

Frater Perdurabo
01-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Ozzie is acting awfully pumped about a pedestrian RF situation and an awful DH situation. Excuse me for considering that a pathetic attitude.

Couldn't they fill both holes by acquiring a bona-fide left-handed, solid defensive RF (easier said than done, I know), and have Quentin be the primary DH?

Frater Perdurabo
01-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Yes, but I think with the loss of the Twinkey Dome, that could tremendously hurt them, even upwards of 5 games. But Minnesota defies the odds every time, don't they.

I think not playing in the DumpDome will cost the Twins 5-7 wins in 2010.

It's not because of the turf, but rather because visiting teams had such a hard time getting used to seeing the ball (both when batting and fielding) in that dome. That problem/advantage (depending on your perspective) disappears in 2010.

Patrick134
01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Contreras never should have had the nod in 2007. This could have been Buehrle's 9th in a row.

As for Buehrle tanking after the Perfect Game, that's ridiculous. He got no-decisions in a number of games in Aug & Sept where the bullpen completely tanked.

Amen. For a classic example of Mark tanking, check his outings in '06 just after Ozzie made him an all star, starting with a putrid start at Wrigley.