PDA

View Full Version : According to this

Daver
06-12-2002, 05:19 PM
The Sox defense is better than most of the rest of the AL.

Fun with numbers! (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/current/def_eff2002.htm)

ISUSoxfan
06-12-2002, 05:39 PM
I don't know how they figure defensive effeciency, but I bet the official scorer calling all of Clayton's errors hits has something to do with our ranking. It also helps us that they don't take range into consideration.

SoxxoS
06-12-2002, 05:40 PM
I dont think its so much the stats on paper that make us be a "bad" defense. Its more like our players can't get to balls that good fielders would get to. For example, a ball Shannon Stewart would get to, Carlos doesn't even attempt. That doesn't show up in the stats, but we all know that's what goes on. Kenny Lofton does not come close to having the range he once had, you can tell by how deep he plays, he has no confidence going back. Its those type things that dont show up, but make a difference.

cheeses_h_rice
06-12-2002, 05:47 PM
:hitless

Statheads who don't watch Sox games in person are my best friend!

Foulke You
06-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I dont think its so much the stats on paper that make us be a "bad" defense. Its more like our players can't get to balls that good fielders would get to. For example, a ball Shannon Stewart would get to, Carlos doesn't even attempt. That doesn't show up in the stats, but we all know that's what goes on. Kenny Lofton does not come close to having the range he once had, you can tell by how deep he plays, he has no confidence going back. Its those type things that dont show up, but make a difference.

I have to defend K-LO's (Lofton) defense. I don't know if he's lost a step in the outfield. He looks pretty sharp and fast out there to me. He's already snared 3 or 4 balls that would have been homers which has been his trademark play for years. If he's lost a step, it certainly hasn't shown up in his base stealing totals either.

I wholeheartedly agree with your synopsis of Carlos's defense. There are so many balls that even an average outfielder would get to but Carlos will play on a hop because he misjudges practically every ball hit on a line drive towards him.

Dadawg_77
06-13-2002, 08:54 AM
I am not sure how they figure this out, but Stats inc, has a stat that measures what an OF covers.
The def from ESPN.com is ZR: Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.

In LF Lee has a .928 rating, and Rowand has a .889 rating and Liefer has .920

In CF Rowand has a .926, and KL has .897

In RF Mags has .925

Not sure what this means, but according to this stat Lee gets to a higher % of balls hit in his zone then anyone else. Last year Lee was at .847.

Oh, Clayton has .921 while in the four games they have listed for Jose he has 1.000 as SS

raul12
06-13-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I am not sure how they figure this out, but Stats inc, has a stat that measures what an OF covers.
The def from ESPN.com is ZR: Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.

In LF Lee has a .928 rating, and Rowand has a .889 rating and Liefer has .920

In CF Rowand has a .926, and KL has .897

In RF Mags has .925

Not sure what this means, but according to this stat Lee gets to a higher % of balls hit in his zone then anyone else. Last year Lee was at .847.

Oh, Clayton has .921 while in the four games they have listed for Jose he has 1.000 as SS

i think the more important question is how that ranks among the other outfielders in the league....and i would venture to guess that the sample size for rowand and liefer is not very large, hence, comparing ZR's for lee, rowand, and liefer might be useless...but i'm just guessing here.