PDA

View Full Version : What else will Kenny do?

russ99
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
So, we're in a pretty good spot going towards Spring Training, so what are your thoughts on what Kenny still has to do?

TomBradley72
12-28-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd vote for the 3rd option...but change the date from Feb 10 to Opening Day.

DirtySox
12-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm starting to think that Kenny is going to grab one of the Power bats that won't command an exorbitant salary. Delgado, Thome, Cust, Vlad etc. I'm okay with a less than elite bat, as trading away Hudson and Flowers could be costly with some impending holes both players would fill in the immediate future.

g0g0
12-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm starting to think that Kenny is going to grab one of the Power bats that won't command an exorbitant salary. Delgado, Thome, Cust, Vlad etc. I'm okay with a less than elite bat, as trading away Hudson and Flowers could be costly with some impending holes both players would fill in the immediate future.

Love to see a power bat, but am completely fine with giving Flowers a shot at backup catcher.

Thatguyoverthere
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Love to see a power bat, but am completely fine with giving Flowers a shot at backup catcher.Wouldn't it be better for him to play everyday than to play at most a couple times a week?

g0g0
12-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Wouldn't it be better for him to play everyday than to play at most a couple times a week?

I agree it would. But if he could get those 2 games a week (not likely) then that would be, what, 40 games? I wonder what the exchange rate for MLB experience vs. MiLB experience is?

Daver
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Love to see a power bat, but am completely fine with giving Flowers a shot at backup catcher.

There is that little detail about him not being very good at the position, but the White Sox have a long rich history of not giving a rat's ass about defense.

sox1970
12-28-2009, 05:50 PM
There is that little detail about him not being very good at the position, but the White Sox have a long rich history of not giving a rat's ass about defense.

I think Flowers was named Best Defensive Catcher in the Southern League. Hopefully that's a sign he's improving.

I believe he'll play at least a few months in Charlotte.

DirtySox
12-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I think Flowers was named Best Defensive Catcher in the Southern League. Hopefully that's a sign he's improving.

I believe he'll play at least a few months in Charlotte.

He's improved considerably according to many sources and is expected to be an adequate catcher. I don't expect a defensive whiz, but he isn't going to embarrass himself behind the plate.

Daver
12-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Then they have a lot of crappy catchers in the Southern League.

Bucky F. Dent
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Cust and a backup catcher.

Flowers needs to play everyday in Charlotte this summer

russ99
12-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Cust and a backup catcher.

Flowers needs to play everyday in Charlotte this summer

Agreed except for Cust. I don't care how many homers he hits, we don't need a .239 career hitter.

I'd prefer Kenny take a chance on Vlad, since he still should be able to hit at a high average and it would fit the profile of Kenny's reclamation projects. Between Vlad and Jones, we'd have one decent DH.

Waysouthsider
12-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Agreed except for Cust. I don't care how many homers he hits, we don't need a .239 career hitter.

I'd prefer Kenny take a chance on Vlad, since he still should be able to hit at a high average and it would fit the profile of Kenny's reclamation projects. Between Vlad and Jones, we'd have one decent DH.

No Cust for sure....but, I think Vlad is finished too.....I'm kind of hoping that they pick up a serviceable backup for AJ and let Flowers stay in the minors.

NLaloosh
12-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Aubrey Huff would get my vote at this point.

russ99
12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
How did I forget the Churros choice? :D:

Mmmm.... Kiwi churros....

Domeshot17
12-29-2009, 12:21 PM
If we go into the season with Danks and Flowers, I'll eat my crow if we win the AL let alone the World Series. It would be a sign to me that the Sox were not serious about going for it all. More likely than not this is Kenny posturing. Either way though we do need a lefty middle of the order bat. Without it, we will probably have one of the bottom 5 offenses in the AL again. Its a shame because our rotation is probably 3rd or 4th best in the AL.

Edit: I also don't get the love for Jordan Danks. As a prospect ok, hes a decent prospect that is fine. But everyone who is all "we can punt the offense because his defense is soooooooooooo good".......... why wouldn't we have just Kept Brian Anderson then ? He was horrid at the plate but as good as anyone in the OF. We could have done that without ruining Danks.

soxfanreggie
12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Churros got my vote because I am more interested in the power bat right now for this next season. Ultimately, none of us know for sure what is going to work best for Flowers - could be Major League time and could be Minor League time. (Personal Opinion - another year in the Minors and an end of season call-up, barring injuries).

LoveYourSuit
12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Delgado on a 1 yr deal would be nice.

stevemcstud
12-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Then they have a lot of crappy catchers in the Southern League.

He really could not of said anything that would make you differently could he.

LoveYourSuit
12-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Delgado on a 1 yr deal would be nice.

Nevermind

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2009/12/carlos-delgado-suffers-setback-now-what.html

jamokes
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Sounds like Delgado is done..........I say go with a veteran like Huff or bring back Thome.

Daver
12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
He really could not of said anything that would make you differently could he.

I have plenty of tape on Tyler Flowers, it's not rocket surgery to see he's a below average catcher.

guillensdisciple
12-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely will plug the holes through minor pick ups. I would personally prefer to see Flowers as the back-up/ dh, because I think he has a very powerful bat in his hands but the whole experience thing always reminds me that it might not be the best idea.

Could he not have a Jones/ Vizquel plateau at the DH spot, regardless of how ugly it is?

Gammons Peter
12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Every time I hear or read Vizquel's name mentioned with DH, I vomit

soxinem1
12-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Aubrey Huff would get my vote at this point.

Not a bad off-the-radar pick. I never even thought of him.

Definitely will plug the holes through minor pick ups. I would personally prefer to see Flowers as the back-up/ dh, because I think he has a very powerful bat in his hands but the whole experience thing always reminds me that it might not be the best idea.

Could he not have a Jones/ Vizquel plateau at the DH spot, regardless of how ugly it is?

Flowers powerful bat looked like he was swinging it in water. How does he develop playing a couple games a week.

If Vizquel DH's at all, 2009 will seem like a pennant-winning year.

Craig Grebeck
12-30-2009, 09:16 AM
I have plenty of tape on Tyler Flowers, it's not rocket surgery to see he's a below average catcher.
How much from this season? Reports are far better than they were before.

russ99
12-30-2009, 10:38 AM
How much from this season? Reports are far better than they were before.

There's no doubt Flowers has improved defensively, but the bat is not major-league ready. He'd do in a pinch as backup catcher but I'd much rather see him refining his hitting skills in Charlotte. The last few times we rushed a guy to the majors with suspect hitting hasn't worked out too well.

That's why I think Cole Armstrong would be a better backup at his point, even if the Sox bring in Redmond.