PDA

View Full Version : Yuniesky Maya

tm1119
12-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Another Cuban that supposedly we are the front runners, along with the Mets, to sign.

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/12/26/buzz-yuniesky-maya-pitched-for-scouts/

Sounds like a really good idea to me. Bring him in as a cheap 5th starter option(presumably cheap) in case Freddy cant make it the whole season. Could be the long man out of the pen we lost in Carrasco as well. Anybody hear anything about this guy before this? Says he is 27 and has a nice arsenal of pitches, but that is coming from his agent. As long as he is in the 1-3 million dollar range I say go for, I just dont trust Freddy to be able to pitch 150+ innings.

DumpJerry
12-26-2009, 11:15 PM
It says he's 27, which means 38 in U.S. years......

GregO23
12-26-2009, 11:21 PM
The more arms the better, especially with the lack of depth we have after Hudson.

EDIT: depending on the price of course

JermaineDye05
12-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I'd prefer we'd focus more on getting another hitter, be it through trade or FA.

tm1119
12-26-2009, 11:37 PM
It says he's 27, which means 38 in U.S. years......

Im not saying its not a possibility but.....

A) MLB has really been cracking down on this in recent years after all of the reports of it happening. Its not nearlly as easy to fraud your birth certificate as it was in the 90's and early 00's
B) If youre gonna lie would you really make yourself 27? Unless, like you said, hes really pushing 40.

Ill trust our scouts/KW on this 1. I understand your concern though, as this has happened way too often in the MLB(cough Jose cough)

gr8mexico
12-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Sounds like a good investment. Here is some info on him.
http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com/2009/10/yuniesky-maya-is-my-fourth-best.html

Brian26
12-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I have a feeling that the Sox are going to cool off on the Cuban signings until they wait and see how Viciedo turns out. They invested a small fortune in him already with mixed reviews so far. Alexei has generally been a good, cheap signing in lieu of his brain cramps in the field.

NLaloosh
12-27-2009, 09:49 AM
It would make a lot of sense to me to sign him for a contract like Viciedo's.

DirtySox
12-27-2009, 09:59 AM

You want to drop a boatload of money on a 27 year old pitcher who isn't very highly regarded?

soltrain21
12-27-2009, 10:38 AM

That would actually make the least amount of sense.

DumpJerry
12-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Why? Why did you choose Viciedo to compare contracts? Other than both coming from Cuba, the similarities end. Different age, different position.

I would prefer that he sign a contract like any other pitcher who has never spent much time playing baseball in the USA and, therefore, is very much an unknown quantity.

oeo
12-27-2009, 01:13 PM
You want to drop a boatload of money on a 27 year old pitcher who isn't very highly regarded?

Agreed, however not being highly regarded as a Cuban player means nothing. Alexei wasn't very highly regarded, and was the rookie of the year runner up. Chapman is 'highly regarded' because he's got a big fastball, but he can't find the plate, and we really don't know that much about him.

NLaloosh
12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
I don't know what you're talking about but I'm talking about a 4 year deal for about $ 8 mil. That's not that much.

He is a starting pitcher and he might allow for the Sox to move a starter for a big bat somewhere. Anyway, I think he would be real nice to have for depth and he could surprise some people.

doublem23
12-27-2009, 05:23 PM

$10 million over 4 years. UNHEARD OF!!!

tm1119
12-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a feeling that the Sox are going to cool off on the Cuban signings until they wait and see how Viciedo turns out. They invested a small fortune in him already with mixed reviews so far. Alexei has generally been a good, cheap signing in lieu of his brain cramps in the field.

Why? Because a guy who started in AA at the age of 19 had a slightly above average season? How could anyone possibly write off Dayan at this point? Thats just crazy. I wouldnt even start to write him off until at least after his 3rd full season in the minors. This is like picking a kid out of high school and expecting him to contribute right away. We have him under team control for 6 seasons if we wish. Have patience.

DumpJerry
12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't know what you're talking about but I'm talking about a 4 year deal for about $ 8 mil. That's not that much.

He is a starting pitcher and he might allow for the Sox to move a starter for a big bat somewhere. Anyway, I think he would be real nice to have for depth and he could surprise some people.
How do you know he's a starter? He hasn't even faced A ball hitters yet. I remember when Alexei was being courted in the US and people who actually knew about Cuban baseball rated it to be around the same as AA ball here in the states.

NLaloosh
12-27-2009, 07:42 PM
How do you know he's a starter? He hasn't even faced A ball hitters yet. I remember when Alexei was being courted in the US and people who actually knew about Cuban baseball rated it to be around the same as AA ball here in the states.

How do I know he's a starter? Umm.... I guess because he's been a starting pitcher during his career and his attraction is that he throws a number of different pitches well.

He hasn't even played A ball yet, you say? I guess you could say the same thing about every player in the draft as well as every international signing.

Yeah, and you're right on the last point as well. Alexei has been a real bust. The Sox should stay away from those Cuban players.

12-27-2009, 09:30 PM

This makes absolutely no sense.

Craig Grebeck
12-28-2009, 08:50 AM

The Sox could easily save that money and use it in the June draft.

NLaloosh
12-28-2009, 09:00 AM
The Sox could easily save that money and use it in the June draft.

They could easily do a lot of things. However, they've had a lot more success with these types of signings than they've had with the draft.

Craig Grebeck
12-28-2009, 09:03 AM
They could easily do a lot of things. However, they've had a lot more success with these types of signings than they've had with the draft.
Cuban Player A ≠ Cuban Player B

Spend it in the draft. They haven't had a lot of success in the draft because they don't spend money. Spending it on a 27 year old A-ball pitcher is not wise. Now, if they want to offer him a 1 year deal with a base salary of 500-800k, I may listen.

Brian26
12-28-2009, 12:32 PM
This makes absolutely no sense.

It makes all the sense in the world.

soxinem1
12-28-2009, 01:41 PM

More like Alexei Ramirez......

gr8mexico
12-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Spend it in the draft. They haven't had a lot of success in the draft because they don't spend money. Spending it on a 27 year old A-ball pitcher is not wise. Now, if they want to offer him a 1 year deal with a base salary of 500-800k, I may listen.
Are you in charge of signing Free Agents now?
Also if your going to give him a base salary of 800K wouldn't it be better to sign him for the same thing Alexei Ramirez signed for and have him
under team control for 5 to 6 years.

Craig Grebeck
12-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Are you in charge of signing Free Agents now?
Also if your going to give him a base salary of 800K wouldn't it be better to sign him for the same thing Alexei Ramirez signed for and have him
under team control for 5 to 6 years.
No, unless you're a staunch believer in his talent. Based on what I've heard, and the needs this team must address, there's no need tying yourself to paying a 27 year old for 5-6 years.

tm1119
12-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Do you really think that the money isnt there, or that signing this guy would really have any effect? I have to believe that the money for better scouting is there but its just not being used properly. Also, I dont think that its a coincidence that once Buddy Bell came aboard the drafting got much better.

Craig Grebeck
12-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Do you really think that the money isnt there, or that signing this guy would really have any effect? I have to believe that the money for better scouting is there but its just not being used properly. Also, I dont think that its a coincidence that once Buddy Bell came aboard the drafting got much better.
It's gotten better, but it had nowhere to go but up. The system is still in shambles.

thedudeabides
12-29-2009, 09:14 AM
It's gotten better, but it had nowhere to go but up. The system is still in shambles.

I certainly wouldn't say it's in shambles. A couple of years ago the system was in shambles. They are finally starting to produce some big league talent, and are using other pieces to acquire big league ready talent.

This is the way the Sox system is always going to be under Kenny Williams. He makes a lot of trades, so there is not going to be a ton of depth. Part of that is a strength, as they have been good at figuring out when a player reaches their peak value, and get rid of them, often times for a more useful piece.

They certainly need to improve in a lot of areas, and some of them have been addressed, such as drafting and player development, but to say they are in shambles is an overstatement. They use their system very efficiently, especially considering what they spend on the system, and scouting. They are just never going to be high on meaningless system ranking lists.

Craig Grebeck
12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I certainly wouldn't say it's in shambles. A couple of years ago the system was in shambles. They are finally starting to produce some big league talent, and are using other pieces to acquire big league ready talent.

This is the way the Sox system is always going to be under Kenny Williams. He makes a lot of trades, so there is not going to be a ton of depth. Part of that is a strength, as they have been good at figuring out when a player reaches their peak value, and get rid of them, often times for a more useful piece.

They certainly need to improve in a lot of areas, and some of them have been addressed, such as drafting and player development, but to say they are in shambles is an overstatement. They use their system very efficiently, especially considering what they spend on the system, and scouting. They are just never going to be high on meaningless system ranking lists.
Would you say this is a good system? Would you say it isn't bottom five? Other than Houston, I don't see any systems I'd put the Sox ahead of. Now, can we improve? Yes. But at the moment, there is no depth whatsoever. That, to me, describes a system in shambles.

Tragg
12-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Would you say this is a good system? Would you say it isn't bottom five? Other than Houston, I don't see any systems I'd put the Sox ahead of. Now, can we improve? Yes. But at the moment, there is no depth whatsoever. That, to me, describes a system in shambles. Some teams never use their minor leaguers - their system always looks good. Scheuler did that to some extent. The Sox system produces pieces that help the ML team. 4 of those pieces netted Peavy. No way is it in shambles. It's thin, but hardly in shambles.
Some consider Texas' system top-level; but it's produced, what, 1 winning season (and no playoffs) for the ML club?
Boston has a great system - they turn two non-top-prospect minor leaguers into a first round draft choice and a choice in the supplemental draft this summer (via Billy Wagner). And their ML team wins.

thedudeabides
12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Would you say this is a good system? Would you say it isn't bottom five? Other than Houston, I don't see any systems I'd put the Sox ahead of. Now, can we improve? Yes. But at the moment, there is no depth whatsoever. That, to me, describes a system in shambles.

I'm not saying it's a good system, if you want to rank it in a meaningless list. I guess it's just an organizational philosophy.

If the Sox use their system like other teams that rank high on such lists, many of which have very little, if any actual success, than they could easily have been middle of the pack. If Beckham, Poreda, Dexter Carter, Richard, and Branden Allen are in the farm, the Sox system suddenly looks a lot deeper and ranks much higher. The Sox preferred to bring Beckham up, and acquire Peavy and Pena.

If they so choose, they can put together a very good package to go out and get a bat this year. That's what they use their system for. They have a very good knack for reloading, and re-hyping their prospects quickly. Guys like Richard, Hudson, De Los Santos have come out of nowhere in their system and they have used them wisely.

Now, it most certainly has room for improvement, and I think they are headed in the right direction, but no I don't think it's in shambles.

thedudeabides
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Some teams never use their minor leaguers - their system always looks good. Scheuler did that to some extent. The Sox system produces pieces that help the ML team. 4 of those pieces netted Peavy. No way is it in shambles. It's thin, but hardly in shambles.
Some consider Texas' system top-level; but it's produced, what, 1 winning season (and no playoffs) for the ML club?
Boston has a great system - they turn two non-top-prospect minor leaguers into a first round draft choice and a choice in the supplemental draft this summer (via Billy Wagner). And their ML team wins.

Very good points Tragg, and a lot of this is what I was getting at. Remember the vaunted DVD pitching combo for Texas? It was the envy of all of baseball, and now Josh Hamilton is what they have to show for it.

A lot can change with prospects fast, some teams like the Sox, decide to use their minor league systems differently. Having good system depth is often about having good low level talent that is very far away from the majors. Some teams will hold on to that talent, and more often than not that talent will fade as they move up the system. Some teams will trade that talent for major league ready players. Nine out of ten times, I agree with trading the 19 year old high upside guys for the major league ready talent.

Pablo_Honey
12-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Very good points Tragg, and a lot of this is what I was getting at. Remember the vaunted DVD pitching combo for Texas? It was the envy of all of baseball, and now Josh Hamilton is what they have to show for it.
Funny you should bring up the DVD because of the three, Diamond is the only bust. The Rangers' general manager traded the other two away and both of them panned out very well. If John Daniels held on to them, Texas would have their 1-2 punch right there and Texas' rotation would have been the envy of baseball. Besides, Hamilton is a great bat if he can stay healthy and Rangers are loaded with arms now. I say the trade is a wash.

A lot can change with prospects fast, some teams like the Sox, decide to use their minor league systems differently. Having good system depth is often about having good low level talent that is very far away from the majors. Some teams will hold on to that talent, and more often than not that talent will fade as they move up the system. Some teams will trade that talent for major league ready players. Nine out of ten times, I agree with trading the 19 year old high upside guys for the major league ready talent.
This is a very good valid point but it doesn't apply to the Sox at the moment. We used up our best trading chips in the Peavy trade and don't have other unproven prospects with high upside besides Hudson and Flowers. Unless Kenny is given tons of money to draft and sign highly regarded prospects in the coming years (Example: Tigers), the system will remain thin and won't have good enough talents to net impact players. I know, I know, Buddy Bell's been great at his job since being hired but Buddy Bell can only do so much with the prospects he's given. For example, he can't turn a Holmberg into a Strasburg. Best he could do with a Holmberg is a Buehrle but not many teams appreciate what a Buehrle can do unless he can produce at major league levels. Even then, a Buehrle has less value than a Strasburg. The Sox thought drafting Holmberg in the 2nd round was a steal, and that concerns me because it feels like the difference between the Shaffer era and the Bell era is that a soft-tossing "safe" pick will be made one round later than usual.

DirtySox
12-29-2009, 04:44 PM
To be fair, Holmberg is a prep prospect and still has some projection to gain a bit of velocity. I do agree with alot of your points though.