PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign 20

Daver
06-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Of their draft picks,list of names here. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20020610&content_id=49407&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp)

Randar68
06-12-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by daver
Of their draft picks,list of names here. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20020610&content_id=49407&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp)

Key names still unsigned:
obviously, second and third rounders, Jeremy Reed and Josh Rupe...

5th rounder: B.J. LaMura, rhp
6th rounder: Chris Getz, ss
12th rounder: Jason Ruhlman, lhp
14th rounder: Christian Madson, RHP

Good to see Todd Deininger RHP sign after the Cubs couldn't get him on the dotted line last year.

Daver
06-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

5th rounder: B.J. LaMura, rhp
6th rounder: Chris Getz, ss
12th rounder: Jason Ruhlman, lhp
14th rounder: Christian Madson, RHP

Good to see Todd Deininger RHP sign after the Cubs couldn't get him on the dotted line last year.

I was glad to see that they got Shane Scoville to sign also,from what I hear it was surprising he was not picked in the first 5 rounds.

delben91
06-12-2002, 03:08 PM
I know this is an old rant, and not really applicable here, but I'm going forth with it anyway. I'm still waiting for us to sign a high drafted catching prospect, between Zeringue and Ritchie the last few years, it was ridiculous. Maybe we'll get something out of Olivo, I don't know enough about him to make that call, but it still irks me that we let all that talent get away after drafting them.

Daver
06-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I know this is an old rant, and not really applicable here, but I'm going forth with it anyway. I'm still waiting for us to sign a high drafted catching prospect, between Zeringue and Ritchie the last few years, it was ridiculous. Maybe we'll get something out of Olivo, I don't know enough about him to make that call, but it still irks me that we let all that talent get away after drafting them.

Olivio is one of seven Birmingham Barons to make the western division's AA All Star team.

Jerry_Manuel
06-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
Olivio is one of seven Birmingham Barons to make the western division's AA All Star team.

Who are the rest?

Daver
06-12-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Who are the rest?

The complete roster:

Western Division Position
Player
Team

Pitcher
Matt Bruback
West Tenn

Pedro Feliciano
Chattanooga

Roberto Giron
Huntsville

Corwin Malone
Birmingham

Joe Valentine
Birmingham

Rick Palma
West Tenn

Jake Peavy
Mobile

Josh Stewart
Birmingham

Catcher
Dane Sardinha
Chattanooga

Miguel Olivo
Birmingham

First base
Ryan Hankins
Birmingham

Tom Nevers
Chattanooga

Second base
Aaron Miles
Birmingham

Bernie Castro
Mobile

Third base
Ben Risinger
Mobile

Shortstop
Steve Scarborough
Huntsville

Outfield
Darren Blakely
Mobile

Bobby Darula
Chattanooga

Alex Fernandez
Birmingham

Gary Johnson
West Tenn

raul12
06-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by delben91

question--whatever happens to all the draft picks that never sign? do they eventually sign somewhere else, or do they resign themselves to a normal life? if the latter--why the hell don't they at least sign for some $$$, and then bail after a few years?

Daver
06-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by raul12

question--whatever happens to all the draft picks that never sign? do they eventually sign somewhere else, or do they resign themselves to a normal life? if the latter--why the hell don't they at least sign for some $$$, and then bail after a few years?

Most of them go back to school and re-enter the draft,or play independant league ball and re-enter the draft.

Matt Harrington was drafted for the third time this year.

LongDistanceFan
06-12-2002, 05:29 PM

iwonder what they are asking?

Randar68
06-12-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
iwonder what they are asking?

Many players in the 1st through 5th rounds wait to see what kind of money the other draftees around them got before putting numbers out there...for most players, rounds 2-10 are a decreasing pay scal, so where that scale lies varies slightly from one year to the next.

Also, players participating in the CWS are not able to sign until they are eliminated.

LongDistanceFan
06-12-2002, 05:44 PM

Many players in the 1st through 5th rounds wait to see what kind of money the other draftees around them got before putting numbers out there...for most players, rounds 2-10 are a decreasing pay scal, so where that scale lies varies slightly from one year to the next.

Also, players participating in the CWS are not able to sign until they are eliminated. even tho i am not overly excited about the sox draft, i hope they sign reed and rupe.

btw reed is a defensive cf........... how does his stats look as a hitter?

Vsahajpal
06-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Cubs drafted Deininger in 1999, he's had a rather average college career, most likely he'll become a reliever.

Randar68
06-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
even tho i am not overly excited about the sox draft, i hope they sign reed and rupe.

btw reed is a defensive cf........... how does his stats look as a hitter?

Reed hit .339 in 60 games at LBSU with a damn metal bat. He was only the 4th best hitter on his team. He had a .439 OBP and a .512 slg%. He had 29 BB, 23 K's, and 12 HBP. He was 19-25 in SB's and had a .988 Fld% (2 errors) and 5 assists.

Randar68
06-12-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Cubs drafted Deininger in 1999, he's had a rather average college career, most likely he'll become a reliever.

Thanks Vic, forgot when the Cubs drafted him, just that they couldn't sign him...