PDA

View Full Version : Feature story on Ed Farmer

thomas35forever
12-25-2009, 02:15 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=346631
I had no idea he was so close to dying.

michned
12-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I've always had a hard time listening to Farmio's play-by-play, but hey, Evergreen Park, St. Rita, White Sox - he's all right in my book.

The only thing I didn't like reading was that he only talks to one of his eight siblings. Seems like there's too much of that in the world today.

dickallen15
12-25-2009, 04:11 PM
I never have been a fan of Farmio's broadcasting, but he does do a lot for organ donation and last year I met him in an elevator and he started talking about the Sox and was very friendly. He comes off as sort of pompous on the air, but in person, at least for the couple of minutes I was around him, he was really a nice guy.

mzh
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM
I had a chance to have a conversation with him over the summer, and whatever he may seem on air, in person he comes off as a very good guy. He was very enthusiastic when answering some questions from my younger family members, and reading about not speaking to family members somewhat surprised me because he seemed very easygoing and not hard to get along with.

MARTINMVP
12-25-2009, 11:37 PM
A friend of mine who used to work at a golf store in the south suburbs has told me that Farmer is a repeated customer. Even though this guy hates the Sox and is a Yankees fan, he has said that Farmer always has been real nice and conversational.

SOXfnNlansing
12-26-2009, 01:21 AM
That was a great story. He was asked about his siblings in 1990. Perhaps he has made up with the other 6 by now.

jamokes
12-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Ed is a Chicago guy who knows baseball. He knows the background of players and he knows of players from other teams...............try getting that from cub announcers.

I could listen to Ed all day.

white sox bill
12-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I always found Farmio kinda dry...a sure cure for insomnia. But a great story about a great guy. I have a new found liking to him now.

Vienna
12-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the link. I may be in the minority, but love listening to Farmer. Admittedly, it was better when it was Rooney & Farmer. I thought the year of Stone and Farmer in the booth was great.

Best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season to the WSI community.

Bobby Thigpen
12-26-2009, 12:21 PM
That's a great story.

I never liked Farmer in the past, but as I grow older he grows more and more on me. Wish he still had Rooney in the booth with him as DJ is terrible, but I'm becoming more and more of a Farmer fan.

Woofer
12-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Great article on Ed. Although some can take him or leave him, I think he does a good job.

DirtySox
12-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Love Farmer. Glad to get more insight on what kind of person he really is.

soltrain21
12-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Ed is a Chicago guy who knows baseball. He knows the background of players and he knows of players from other teams...............try getting that from cub announcers.

I could listen to Ed all day.

Way to throw in a jab at the Cubs for no reason. Pat Hughes is very good.

As for Ed - I think he is great. He may sound "pompous" sometimes, but that is part of his hilarious charm.

Bobby Thigpen
12-26-2009, 06:21 PM
His partner brings the average down to terrible though.

34 Inch Stick
12-28-2009, 11:33 AM

As for Ed - I think he is great. He may sound "pompous" sometimes, but that is part of his hilarious charm.

I'm sure Chris Singleton was charmed by his personality.

white sox bill
12-28-2009, 11:56 AM

Yes I do like Pat Hughes too, what little I listen to him. But I can't figure out if he's really good or just good in comparison to the bag of hot air sitting next to him.

SI1020
12-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm sure Chris Singleton was charmed by his personality. I was a big fan of Singleton when he played for the Sox. That being said, he was the worst. I could not listen to Sox radio broadcasts when he was doing the games with Farmer. I'm glad he landed on his feet and now has a job he is much more suited for.