PDA

View Full Version : AL Rotations

Bucky F. Dent
12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that, even with the Cliff Lee deal, we still have the third best rotation in the AL.

Yanks are far and away #1 (Sabbathia, Burnett, Pettite, Vazquez) BoSox are #2 (Beckett, Lester, Lackey...although, Beckett really started to raise questions about whether he was losing it toward the end of the year.), we are #3 (Peavy Buehrle Floyd Danks) ahead of the Mariners (Hernandez, Lee) and the Angels (Santana, Saunders, Weaver).

I like the Mariners 1 & 2 as much as I like our own, but they have no one behind them. Ian Snell?????

Angels have four "good" starters, but no one that puts the far of God into you. The playoffs certainly proved that.

The two rotations that leave me scratching my head are the Royals and the Tigers. With the Royals, if Grienke has another year like last, and he gets any support from the rest of the rotation, they can be good - but not as deep as us; and if Verlander and Bonderman bounce back, who knows how good they can be.

A couple of the other rotations have individuals that are good, but no real depth the way the top three or four do, IMO.

pythons007
12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Am I wrong in thinking that, even with the Cliff Lee deal, we still have the third best rotation in the AL.

Yanks are far and away #1 (Sabbathia, Burnett, Pettite, Vazquez) BoSox are #2 (Beckett, Lester, Lackey...although, Beckett really started to raise questions about whether he was losing it toward the end of the year.), we are #3 (Peavy Buehrle Floyd Danks) ahead of the Mariners (Hernandez, Lee) and the Angels (Santana, Saunders, Weaver).

I like the Mariners 1 & 2 as much as I like our own, but they have no one behind them. Ian Snell?????

Angels have four "good" starters, but no one that puts the far of God into you. The playoffs certainly proved that.

The two rotations that leave me scratching my head are the Royals and the Tigers. With the Royals, if Grienke has another year like last, and he gets any support from the rest of the rotation, they can be good - but not as deep as us; and if Verlander and Bonderman bounce back, who knows how good they can be.

A couple of the other rotations have individuals that are good, but no real depth the way the top three or four do, IMO.

What!? He was 19-9 with a 3.45 ERA a 1.18 WHIP with 269 Ks in 240 IP. Was he not up for the Cy Young last year?

Everything else is right on, but Verlander was sick last year!

ChiTownTrojan
12-23-2009, 01:49 PM

If you match our 1-4 with either the Yankees or Red Sox, I think it's pretty even. Here's how it shapes out:

#1 starter: Peavy, Sabathia, Becket
#2 starter: Burls, Burnett, Lester
#3 starter: Danks, Petitte, Lackey
#4 starter: Floyd, Vazquez, Dice-K

Boston has the best #2 and #3, but the worst #1 and #4. We're pretty much even with NY, with a slightly better #3 and worse #4. I don't think there is a clear "best" or "worst" rotation of the three, though.

JohnTucker0814
12-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd put the starting 4 in this order:

#1: Peavy, Sabathia, Beckett
#2: Lester, Buehrle, Burnett
#3: Lackey, Floyd, Pettitte
#4: Vazquez, Danks, Dice-K

downstairs
12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Yes, we *could* be the best rotation- but there are questions, of course. Peavy is a huge question, Buehrle can be off and on, and the young guys always come with questions.

I believe they're going to be good, if not great. Still- its not as much of a lock as some other teams.

JermaineDye05
12-23-2009, 02:11 PM
If all healthy, they will be one of the best.

If Gavin and John figure it all out this year...

Holy ****

They will be THE best.

oeo
12-23-2009, 02:14 PM

That Yankees rotation is overrated. How are they far and away #1? Our Top 4 can go up against their Top 4 any day of the week. Peavy and CC should be a push, Burnett and Buehrle swings towards Buehrle...Burnett has been mediocre since entering the AL, Floyd and Pettitte is a push, and Danks >>>>> Vazquez. That rotation is going to strike a lot of guys out, but overall it's not the best in baseball.

Verlander just came off a Cy Young contending year. And Bonderman is going to bounce back from what? Somehow his hype has turned into results? He's never been very good, always just very young with a lot of potential. He's not very young anymore, and he still hasn't really gone anywhere.

Yes, we *could* be the best rotation- but there are questions, of course. Peavy is a huge question, Buehrle can be off and on, and the young guys always come with questions.

I believe they're going to be good, if not great. Still- its not as much of a lock as some other teams.

I personally think Buehrle is going to have the best year of his career. He's always tailed off in the second half, and this offseason he's finally on a conditioning program for the first time ever. If Peavy can stay healthy, what's the question? Our training staff keeps our pitchers off the DL.

kittle42
12-23-2009, 02:19 PM
If all healthy, they will be one of the best.

If Gavin and John figure it all out this year...

Holy ****

They will be THE best.

They'll have to be if the Sox don't acquire another bat.

getonbckthr
12-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll take Floyd and Dice K over Vazquez. I don't understand why everyone is so in love with the Vazquez back to NYY deal.

soxinem1
12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
If you match our 1-4 with either the Yankees or Red Sox, I think it's pretty even. Here's how it shapes out:

#1 starter: Peavy, Sabathia, Becket
#2 starter: Burls, Burnett, Lester
#3 starter: Danks, Petitte, Lackey
#4 starter: Floyd, Vazquez, Dice-K

Boston has the best #2 and #3, but the worst #1 and #4. We're pretty much even with NY, with a slightly better #3 and worse #4. I don't think there is a clear "best" or "worst" rotation of the three, though.

I will take our guys matched up this way against any of the others...........

Provided we have a real DH bat and a back up for AJ...

Thatguyoverthere
12-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Huh? 3rd best in the AL? Yanks far and away #1? In what world? I still think we're the best, I don't care if I'm biased a little.

#1: Sabathia > Peavy > Beckett

I'd have to give the edge to Sabathia here because he's proven he can do it in the AL, but I'd rather have Peavy than Beckett.

#2: Buehrle = Lester > Burnett

I'd say the number 2s are pretty much a push, there's not a lot separating these three but I'd give an edge to Buehrle and Lester.

#3: Lackey > Floyd > Petite

I don't see what's so great about Petite. He's getting old, he has health concerns, and he's been good, not great. I'd give a slight edge to Lackey, but I think people underrate Floyd. After he stopped tipping pitches, he was our best starter for most of 2009 IMO. He's a stopper, and he can be money. I'd personally bet on him having a better year than Lackey, but for now I'll go with the more proven veteran.

#4: Danks >>>> Dice K > Vazquez

Here is where we win IMO. Danks is far superior to the other two, as Vazquez is coming back to the AL and going to the NY pressure pot, and we all know how much of a mental midget he is. Danks is way better as is, and he still has loads of potential. He has the potential to be the best pitcher on the staff if he can get some better control.

The number 5 spots are unproven for all teams, so it's tough to judge right now, but I like what Garcia gave us last year, and Hudson should be able to be a fine fifth starter if needed.

EDIT: I know this doesn't mean much for next season, but we have everyone locked up for several years, and we also have the youngest guys. I'll take our rotation over any AL team.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-23-2009, 03:18 PM
HOLD ON. Some of you guys think Vazquez is better than both Danks and Floyd? Seriously? One really good year in the National League and all of a sudden hes good enough to be our #3? That's ridiculous.

JermaineDye05
12-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Huh? 3rd best in the AL? Yanks far and away #1? In what world? I still think we're the best, I don't care if I'm biased a little.

I'd have to give the edge to Sabathia here because he's proven he can do it in the AL, but I'd rather have Peavy than Beckett.

Call me crazy or a Jake Peavy fan boy or w.e

but my gut feeling is telling me that Jake is gonna have one of the best, if not the best, years of his career in 2010. It's hard to top that triple crown he won in 2007 but I feel if anyone is up to the challenge, it's him.

We all saw last year in those 3 games when he was less than 100% what a different breed of pitcher he is. Jake is such a competitor and, as we've all heard, a bulldog on the mound. I couldn't put it better than what the Tigers' announcers said about Jake when he's on the mound, "he looks like wants to bite your head off". For years he has been held back by some rather mediocre Padres teams. With a good enough team, I think Jake can just take off. It won't matter what league he's in; Jake is a winner. I feel after a full season in 2010, he will re-establish himself as one of the top 5 right handers in baseball right now (I put Lincecum and Halladay ahead of him right now. Greinke has to do it again before I put him in that category) and the best pitcher in the AL (tied with King Felix).

tm1119
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM

#2: Buehrle = Lester > Burnett

I'd say the number 2s are pretty much a push, there's not a lot separating these three but I'd give an edge to Buehrle and Lester.

#3: Lackey > Floyd > Petite

I don't see what's so great about Petite. He's getting old, he has health concerns, and he's been good, not great. I'd give a slight edge to Lackey, but I think people underrate Floyd. After he stopped tipping pitches, he was our best starter for most of 2009 IMO. He's a stopper, and he can be money. I'd personally bet on him having a better year than Lackey, but for now I'll go with the more proven veteran.

#4: Danks >>>> Dice K > Vazquez

Here is where we win IMO. Danks is far superior to the other two, as Vazquez is coming back to the AL and going to the NY pressure pot, and we all know how much of a mental midget he is. Danks is way better as is, and he still has loads of potential. He has the potential to be the best pitcher on the staff if he can get some better control.

The number 5 spots are unproven for all teams, so it's tough to judge right now, but I like what Garcia gave us last year, and Hudson should be able to be a fine fifth starter if needed.

EDIT: I know this doesn't mean much for next season, but we have everyone locked up for several years, and we also have the youngest guys. I'll take our rotation over any AL team.

Ill actually take our rotation over the Yanks, but the Bosox got us by a decent margin. Lester and Buehrle are not equal. Lester is considerably better. In fact, Danks is clearly our #2 starter in terms of talent, and hes still not as good as Lester. Lackey is better than both Buehrle and Floyd either way you want to put our rotation. 4 and 5 is where it gets a little iffy for the Bosox but if Dice-k is healthy hes a very good #4(see 2.9 era in 08). And Buchholtz is one of the more talented young pitchers in the game. Anyone who would take Freddy over him is crazy. 2nd best is nothing to be ashamed of though.

thedudeabides
12-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Ill actually take our rotation over the Yanks, but the Bosox got us by a decent margin. Lester and Buehrle are not equal. Lester is considerably better. In fact, Danks is clearly our #2 starter in terms of talent, and hes still not as good as Lester. Lackey is better than both Buehrle and Floyd either way you want to put our rotation. 4 and 5 is where it gets a little iffy for the Bosox but if Dice-k is healthy hes a very good #4(see 2.9 era in 08). And Buchholtz is one of the more talented young pitchers in the game. Anyone who would take Freddy over him is crazy. 2nd best is nothing to be ashamed of though.

I have to agree with you here. I think a lot could go wrong with the Yankees rotation, and the Red Sox is probably the best, but it's very close with the White Sox.

I really think the Yankees rotation has a possibility of falling apart. All of those innings, including the post-season is bound to catch up to Sabathia one of these days. Pettite is getting up there, and although he has been really reliable, he's starting to get pretty hittable. Burnett has a pretty rough track record of injuries, and it could catch up to him at any time, and Javy will probably go back to being, AL Javy. But, that is all worst case scenario. With Jaba and Hughes and endless resources, they have a ton of depth.

The only thing I'll disagree with is the Buckholtz love. He has been way more hype than anything else, and everyone eats it up. He has yet to even prove if he can pitch at the big league level. I like our options at fifth starter with Freddie and Hudson.

Tragg
12-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Peavy is a huge question.
Hope not.
He's an ace.

Foulke You
12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
HOLD ON. Some of you guys think Vazquez is better than both Danks and Floyd? Seriously? One really good year in the National League and all of a sudden hes good enough to be our #3? That's ridiculous.
100% agree. I'd take Floyd and Danks over Javy any day. Didn't we see enough of Javy in his 3 years here to know he wasn't better than those two? Vazquez got the typical "NL Bump" that a lot of pitchers get when going over there. It was also a low pressure environment in Atlanta. It was the perfect environment for "Little Game" Javy to thrive. I'm going to enjoy watching him wilt again on the big stage in New York especially the way the ball flies out of that new ballpark they have.

Bucky F. Dent
12-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Vazquez admittedly stinks in pressure situations, but as the number four starter, how many pressure starts is he going to see. As a number four starter he is very consistent, and eats a ton of innings.

Foulke You
12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Vazquez admittedly stinks in pressure situations, but as the number four starter, how many pressure starts is he going to see. As a number four starter he is very consistent, and eats a ton of innings.
I don't doubt his value as an innings eater. However, the debate was whether he had more value than Danks or Floyd. I would disagree with that statement and feel that Danks or Floyd are more valuable to have in your rotation. Both pitchers have the ability to win big games down the stretch in a pennant run which is something Javy has never been able to do going back to his Expos days.

Waysouthsider
12-23-2009, 07:13 PM
I heard this discussion going on the radio yesterday....Yankees, best rotation?????

What a crock of ****....that's why they had to rely on three pitchers in the playoffs....as you may imagine, I'm not that impressed with their addition of "choker" Vasquez to the rotation...good luck with that....!! I also don't see how C.C. can possibly stay healthy at his weight and after being "rid hard" and "put away wet"...for the past two seasons...

I'm impressed with the fact that Mark is working out so much and taking last year's advice to get in shape to heart...and I think Peavy showed us that he's ready to go...

I think our rotation will be at the top of the AL for certain this year barring injuries....

A. Cavatica
12-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Yep, 5 2/3 per game, like clockwork.

shes
12-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Lester is much better than Burls, but other than that, I generally agree that we match up very well at each spot with any rotation in the AL.

central44
12-24-2009, 05:07 AM
Really, it depends on Floyd and Danks. If I remember correctly, both guys started slow last season and turned it around in a big way. Floyd in particular looked like he could be on the brink of putting it all together and emerging as an ace. As it stands, Peavy is clearly number one, but i'm not sure how numbers 2-4 fill out. Still, any one of those guys can be a 1 or 2 starter on a good team, and that's what really matters. Teams have won championships with weaker rotations...

Corlose 15
12-25-2009, 10:41 AM

No he isn't. Buehrle and Lackey have basically the same career numbers and their numbers last year were very similar as well. Buehrle strikes out fewer, they walk about the same, have the same career ERA, Buehrle has a lower WHIP, and OBA, but Lackey has a lower SLG against, part of which could be a attributed to Buehrle pitching in the Cell.

Buehrle gets more groundballs and pitches more innings than Lackey as well. Lackey hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2007 and has only done it 3 times in his 7 full seasons. While Buehrle hasn't pitched fewer than 200 IP in any full season of his career.

gobears1987
12-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I'll take Floyd and Dice K over Vazquez. I don't understand why everyone is so in love with the Vazquez back to NYY deal.
I can't wait to see him choke under the NY pressure. It should prove to be entertaining.

NLaloosh
12-25-2009, 11:42 AM
1. Peavy - true ace. I had my worries about him in the AL - not anymore. He's a stud.

2. John Danks. He's really good and ready to be a # 2.

3. Floyd. If he was hurting last year then I'm even more impressed with him. His stuff is as good as any # 3 out there. He hasn't even reached his potential yet.

4. Mark Buehrle. He should be the # 4 this year. It will make him and the whole rotation better. What can you say? About the best # 4 there could be.

5. Freddy Garcia. I've given this some research and thought and I believe that he should be able to make 30 starts. And, I believe that he's now pitching as well as he did in 2006. Once again, about as good as any #5 out there.

6. This is key. I think Dan Hudson should start the season in Charlotte and come up for spot starts and be ready in case of injury.

This is, to me, undoubtedly the best starting pitching that the Sox have had since I've been following them - that's 1970.

DirtySox
12-27-2009, 01:47 PM
This thread clearly needs some Phil Rogers. He ranks and orders the starting pitching rotation of every MLB team. Still can't wait for his Baseball America Top 10 White Sox Prospect list. :puking:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-27-new-rogers-inside-basebaldec27,0,2912624.column

JermaineDye05
12-27-2009, 02:24 PM
This thread clearly needs some Phil Rogers. He ranks and orders the starting pitching rotation of every MLB team. Still can't wait for his Baseball America Top 10 White Sox Prospect list. :puking:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-27-new-rogers-inside-basebaldec27,0,2912624.column

He thinks the Tigers rotation is better?

How much Nog did Phil have last night?

The Sox rotation is easily better than the Braves, Rockies, Cardinals, Mariners, Cubs, and Rays as well.

DSpivack
12-27-2009, 02:27 PM

The Sox rotation is easily better than the Braves, Rockies, Cardinals, Mariners, Cubs, and Rays as well.

Call me paranoid, but over the years I've become convinced that Phil Rogers has an irrational personal hatred for the White Sox.

cws05champ
12-27-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm no Phil Rogers apologist but to be fair he was just using 2009 numbers....so yeah if you use Vazquez #'s from the NL and put it in New Yorks rotation of course they'll be better statistically. Peavy missed half the year, Buehrle pitched horribly in the 2nd half, but if you base it on actual projection and knowledge then the White Sox are top 5.

If we should be berating him for anything it's using incorrect logic...but since when did logic get in the way of a good Sox bashing article from the Trib?

Brian26
12-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Just my completely unobjective view, but I the Cubs really missed their window of opportunity with Dempster and Lilly in 07 & 08. I don't see them putting up those same kind of numbers again. Wells might be a nice surprise, but that rotation looks more like 75 wins for next year than 95.

WSox597
12-27-2009, 07:09 PM

No way, no how, is Javy better than Danks or Floyd. Period.

He'd still be here if he was. The man is a head case.

As Lip says, million dollar arm with a ten cent head. He'll melt down in NY.

Lip Man 1
12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
And don't forget Boone (Melt Down In Tampa) Logan is also now with the Yankees.

If he thought Sox fans were tough, wait till he gets a load of how Yankee fans will nail him.

Lip

hawkjt
12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Phil Rogers ratings:

1.Yanks
2.Giants
3.Phillies
4.Cards
5.Rockies
6.Red Sox
7.Tigers
8.Marlins
9.Cubs
10.Rays
11.Braves
12 White Sox
13. Angels

That puts the Sox 5th best in the AL behind yanks,carmines,tigers,and Rays.
Of course,he throws out so many caveats that it is hard to wade thru his real rankings. ''If Jake Peavy makes 30 starts,the White Sox move up''...how many years has Jake not made 30 starts? I suspect all but last year..

I think he misses on the Tigers rotation...Verlander,the Rookie, and who?

russ99
12-28-2009, 11:53 AM

I'm hoping that Hudson comes to play this spring, so we don't have to rely on Freddy so much. To expect a 200+ inning sub 4.5 ERA season from Freddy at this point is unrealistic.

I'd like to see Hudson at #5 with Freddy filling in as the "El Duque-like" spot starter when anyone else can't go.

Thatguyoverthere
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Ill actually take our rotation over the Yanks, but the Bosox got us by a decent margin. Lester and Buehrle are not equal. Lester is considerably better. In fact, Danks is clearly our #2 starter in terms of talent, and hes still not as good as Lester. Lackey is better than both Buehrle and Floyd either way you want to put our rotation. 4 and 5 is where it gets a little iffy for the Bosox but if Dice-k is healthy hes a very good #4(see 2.9 era in 08). And Buchholtz is one of the more talented young pitchers in the game. Anyone who would take Freddy over him is crazy. 2nd best is nothing to be ashamed of though.Yeah, I checked Lester's stats, and I didn't realize just how good he's been. I agree with you on him. But as someone else pointed out, Lackey is not better than Buehrle, at worst they're equals and you can make a great argument for Buehrle over him. I guess it depends on how healthy Dice-K is, because if he is good to go I'll agree with you that Boston's rotation is better than ours.

1.Yanks
2.Giants
3.Phillies
4.Cards
5.Rockies
6.Red Sox
7.Tigers
8.Marlins
9.Cubs
10.Rays
11.Braves
12 White Sox
13. AngelsPhil Rogers is a joke, and this proves it. How are the Yankees the best? Because of Vazquez? And Petite is so over-rated by the national media it's unbelievable. The Phillies #3? :rolleyes: Yes they have Halladay, but Hamels has turned into a question mark and behind them how can they compare to the other top rotations?. Then he has the Rockies in the top five instead of the Red Sox and the Tigers well ahead of our rotation. Also, someone please explain how the Cubs have a better rotation than ours? Absolutely ridiculous.

Milkman43
12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Vazquez and Burnett are about as inconsistent as it gets

oeo
12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Vazquez and Burnett are about as inconsistent as it gets

And while both have had great years in the NL, neither has done it in the AL.

I don't get the love affair with this Yankees rotation. They were middle of the pack in 2009, and have added nothing more than an innings eater. There's no way Javier Vazquez is propelling that rotation that much.

Jim Shorts
12-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Phil Rogers ratings:

1.Yanks
2.Giants
3.Phillies
4.Cards
5.Rockies
6.Red Sox
7.Tigers
8.Marlins
9.Cubs
10.Rays
11.Braves
12 White Sox
13. Angels

That puts the Sox 5th best in the AL behind yanks,carmines,tigers,and Rays.
Of course,he throws out so many caveats that it is hard to wade thru his real rankings. ''If Jake Peavy makes 30 starts,the White Sox move up''...how many years has Jake not made 30 starts? I suspect all but last year..

I think he misses on the Tigers rotation...Verlander,the Rookie, and who?

You've got over 3k in posts on this baseball website. Certainly, you've learned by now that Phil Rogers is a joke.

pmck003
12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't know how they computed this, but was surprised to see that Yankee stadium was listed as favoring the pitcher last year: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor. I think the staff is overrated anyways; don't see them carrying a team w/out a 1 billion dollar lineup.

If your ranking staffs based on the 1-4 over the course of the entire season, I see the Sox having a strong argument as #1. There are a few teams 1-2 starters I would rather have if the mlb playoffs started today. Though Peavy's two starts were encouraging, I think its fair enough to question if he can be consistently dominant in the AL and at Sox Park still. Burls at a minimum matches up w/ every #2 (and most #1s), but its hard to say I'd rather have him than a few #2's such as Lester or Hamels and other #1's if I had to pick a pitcher to win a game. Combine that with the fact that neither Danks and Floyd have as much playoff experience as other teams #2's and I can listen to an argument that the Sox aren't the #1 staff on a December list by some moron.