PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Silver and Black? How about 50's / 60's Red and Black?

captain54
12-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Never understood why the Sox never instituted more of the Red in the Logo when they revamped the uni's in the early 90's...

the old English script should never change, but why not institute some Red in the Script as it was in the golden years of the Go-Go Sox? Either Red and Black in the Logo or Red/Silver/Black

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=log7zauov244r62ew9ch6inmc

voodoochile
12-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Gangbangers would buy less if there were other colors...:whistle:

DSpivack
12-22-2009, 02:10 PM
If ain't broke, why fix it?

doublem23
12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Never understood why the Sox never instituted more of the Red in the Logo when they revamped the uni's in the early 90's...

the old English script should never change, but why not institute some Red in the Script as it was in the golden years of the Go-Go Sox? Either Red and Black in the Logo or Red/Silver/Black

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=log7zauov244r62ew9ch6inmc

For starters, there's this other team called the Red Sox.

The only uniform change I wish they had made is to switch to white socks between '05-'06.

thomas35forever
12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
It's the WHITE Sox. No red, please.

captain54
12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
It's the WHITE Sox. No red, please.

right....it's the WHITE Sox....with a silver and black logo....so I'm not following your logic

captain54
12-22-2009, 03:26 PM

If you highlight the silver and black logo with some red, how does this conflict with the Red Sox?

moochpuppy
12-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Chicago Red = Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs

No more please.

soltrain21
12-22-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd like to see the forest green added as an accent color.

beasly213
12-22-2009, 03:30 PM
We have the best looking uniforms in baseball. Why all all the threads about changing them or adding more to them or more uniform options?? :scratch:

Ranger
12-22-2009, 04:37 PM
I think he's talking about the uniforms they broke out for the Dodgers series...like they wore in '59. Everything was the same on the uniform except for the red trim around the logo and numbers and the large number on the sleeve. the trim wasn't distracting or obnoxious. I thought it just kind of made the logo and numbers pop.

Those uniforms were really sharp and I'd have absolutely no problem if they were utilized more often.

This is the one: http://www.dunhamssports.com/largeImage/index.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//DUN.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-6107487dt.jpg

I realize captain included a link but I wanted to show you the red within the context of the full jersey. Nothing offensive about the red.

doublem23
12-22-2009, 04:58 PM
If you highlight the silver and black logo with some red, how does this conflict with the Red Sox?

:scratch:

Because of the red.

doublem23
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
right....it's the WHITE Sox....with a silver and black logo....so I'm not following your logic

Not always

http://www.truthonthemarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/White%20Sox%20hat.gif

That appears to be a white logo.

http://www.jerseysbiz.com/images/paul-konerko-alternate-black-authentic-mlb-jersey-0.jpg

There it is again!!!

guillensdisciple
12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I would half and half it, because either way is awesome. I do believe the White Sox have the best uniform in the bigs, but I am probably biased. They say the Yankees have the best one, but I don't see it. Plus, our rise in media is a sign of the "sexiness" of the Sox symbol.

That does not do anything for me, but just wanted to make a point in regards to how awesome our current logo is.

cards press box
12-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I think he's talking about the uniforms they broke out for the Dodgers series...like they wore in '59. Everything was the same on the uniform except for the red trim around the logo and numbers and the large number on the sleeve. the trim wasn't distracting or obnoxious. I thought it just kind of made the logo and numbers pop.

Those uniforms were really sharp and I'd have absolutely no problem if they were utilized more often.

This is the one: http://www.dunhamssports.com/largeImage/index.jsp?LargeImageURL=http%3A//DUN.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-6107487dt.jpg

I realize captain included a link but I wanted to show you the red within the context of the full jersey. Nothing offensive about the red.

Ranger, those are sharp looking jerseys. Any chance that the Sox would use the '59 jersey (or perhaps the '72 home red pinstripes jersey) as an alternate jersey, just as the Blue Jays and Brewers have done with old uniforms in recent years?

LITTLE NELL
12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I loved those 50's unis but we have changed uniforms more than any team in pro-sports, lets stay with what we have for the next 100 years or so.

RadioheadRocks
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Why mess with the classiest unis in all of baseball?

Ranger
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Ranger, those are sharp looking jerseys. Any chance that the Sox would use the '59 jersey (or perhaps the '72 home red pinstripes jersey) as an alternate jersey, just as the Blue Jays and Brewers have done with old uniforms in recent years?

I actually hate the red pinstripes. Don't like 'em at all. But if I'm not mistaken, I think there might be a new alternate jersey coming out at some point in the next year or two.

I like the current uniforms, but I think this is up for debate. Yankees and Cardinals have classy unis too. Dodgers, too.

captain54
12-22-2009, 07:02 PM

thank you ... thank you....thank you

captain54
12-22-2009, 07:06 PM
If ain't broke, why fix it?

the Black Jerseys and white pants are silly..... the sleeveless pinstriped tops and matching pants with black sleeves are cool...

gr8mexico
12-22-2009, 07:07 PM
What a stupid thing to say.

Brian26
12-22-2009, 07:12 PM

I would. I grew up in an era when the Sox changed uniforms every four years and never got it right. In a way, the team's identity suffered because of those horrendous and too frequent changes. They finally got it right in the Summer of '90 and knocked it out of the park. These are the best uniforms they've ever had, and they should never change the design again.

Jim Shorts
12-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Been a White Sox fan since I was in the womb, but my vote for classiest uni's in baseball go to Detroit, then LAD. Just love the home whites with the piping.

If I'm voting here, in captain's specific's, I'm voting it down. However, those '59 uni's are sweet. I also love the cream on those rather than pure white.

getonbckthr
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Screw it I say the Sox and Sox army start acting like the RaiderNation. Lets start scaring the **** out of the opposition and their fans. Part teel part deep pink in this post.

Bobby Thigpen
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I think part of it was in jest, partly not.

Ever notice in hat stores now how many differently colored hats there are for each team so that gang members can get hats to fit their crew's colors?

Awesome.:angry:

johnnyg83
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
If ... if ... they added another color. I think it should be light blue. Like the blue in the Chicago flag, it could represent the lake or the rivers or whatever ... but it's a color that no other major league team has fully embraced ... save the Royals alts. and it would be more of a trim color than a dominant.

doublem23
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
If ... if ... they added another color. I think it should be light blue. Like the blue in the Chicago flag, it could represent the lake or the rivers or whatever ... but it's a color that no other major league team has fully embraced ... save the Royals alts. and it would be more of a trim color than a dominant.

No thank you.

http://hotink.theorem.ca/system/varsity/images/000/008/427/Screen_shot_2009-11-26_at_2.02.57_PM_system_default.jpg

michned
12-22-2009, 09:35 PM

I think what voodoo was saying was that twenty years ago, the whole black and silver Raider thing was big. The gangbangers wore the colors, but a lot of young people picked up on it and it became a fashion trend.

When they changed colors, I remember reading that one of the reasons was that those colors would boost Sox merchandising.

PalehosePlanet
12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Not always

http://www.truthonthemarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/White%20Sox%20hat.gif

That appears to be a white logo.

http://www.jerseysbiz.com/images/paul-konerko-alternate-black-authentic-mlb-jersey-0.jpg

There it is again!!!

Thank you!!

Silver is merely our accent color people. We are not "The Silver & Black" --- that would be The Raiders. Our colors are black and white, with silver as the accent color.

If silver was one of our primary colors it would be on our hat.

I do love the '50's unis though; the dark red accent was a nice touch.

voodoochile
12-22-2009, 10:18 PM
I think what voodoo was saying was that twenty years ago, the whole black and silver Raider thing was big. The gangbangers wore the colors, but a lot of young people picked up on it and it became a fashion trend.

When they changed colors, I remember reading that one of the reasons was that those colors would boost Sox merchandising.
Yes, that's what I was trying to get at. In fact it actually did boost merchandising and a good part of the boost came from non-Sox fans. Some of them were gang related sales boost. It's pretty well documented. But, I was also trying to be tongue in cheek. Not really sarcastic, but ironic. I thought it would be pretty obvious, but next time I'll stick with teal so as not to confuse the ironically challenged...:tongue: (psst... gr8mexico, that was more irony...)

voodoochile
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Thank you!!

Silver is merely our accent color people. We are not "The Silver & Black" --- that would be The Raiders. Our colors are black and white, with silver as the accent color.

If silver was one of our primary colors it would be on our hat.

I do love the '50's unis though; the dark red accent was a nice touch.

Didn't the Sox have a kids club called "The Silver and Black Pack" or something?

PalehosePlanet
12-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Didn't the Sox have a kids club called "The Silver and Black Pack" or something?

Yeah, I do remember that. I think that was the whole "Waldo The White Sox Wolf" promotion a while back. It still makes no sense, there is hardly any silver on our unis.

DirtySox
12-23-2009, 12:03 AM
I think there might be a new alternate jersey coming out at some point in the next year or two.

Yea? Know of any specifics, or are you just passing along some speculation? I'm a jersey junkie and you have really piqued my interest.

johnnyg83
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
No thank you.

http://hotink.theorem.ca/system/varsity/images/000/008/427/Screen_shot_2009-11-26_at_2.02.57_PM_system_default.jpg

No ... REPEAT ... trim not a dominant color.

I would like a Chicago Flag patch on the jerseys ... like CPD's

Ranger
12-23-2009, 12:28 AM
I would. I grew up in an era when the Sox changed uniforms every four years and never got it right. In a way, the team's identity suffered because of those horrendous and too frequent changes. They finally got it right in the Summer of '90 and knocked it out of the park. These are the best uniforms they've ever had, and they should never change the design again.

You also didn't grow up in the late '50s when they wore the uniforms captain is proposing. I'm sure a lot of people identify with that uni as it does stand out in a good way. I agree the current should be the primary uniform, but I think the '59 is really solid, too. It looks like a modern uniform with a classic twist.

Yea? Know of any specifics, or are you just passing along some speculation? I'm a jersey junkie and you have really piqued my interest.

No, it was real. I saw the design. For the life of me I can't remember details, but I don't recall it being anything too drastic.

Dibbs
12-23-2009, 12:29 AM
The last thing we need is red in our uniforms. Terrible thread imo. I love our jerseys.

Nellie_Fox
12-23-2009, 01:09 AM
I'd like to see the forest green added as an accent color.
That would be hideous.

gr8mexico
12-23-2009, 01:14 AM

The reason why the Sox hat was famous was because of the rappers in the 90's. It had nothing to do with gangbangers. Kids where just imitating the Rappers.

HomeFish
12-23-2009, 07:06 AM
We are the White Sox. There is another team in our league called the Red Sox. Why we would wear red puzzles me.

Standing Ovation
12-23-2009, 07:55 AM
The Red Sox have white in their logo(s), what the difference?

Brian26
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
The reason why the Sox hat was famous was because of the rappers in the 90's. It had nothing to do with gangbangers. Kids where just imitating the Rappers.

You're saying there's not a correlation between rappers and gangbangers?

Brian26
12-23-2009, 10:08 AM
The Red Sox have white in their logo(s), what the difference?

White is a primary color. I think white is used on every uniform in major league baseball in some form.

UofCSoxFan
12-23-2009, 10:15 AM

The only uniform change I wish they had made is to switch to white socks between '05-'06.

In my opinion if the White Sox went to strictly white socks the look would be awful, especially against white pinstripe pants. If they went back to the sanitary hose with a real black stirrup over it, that would probably look very good but that look is not in style in baseball so I think it would be the awful plain white sock look if we made the switch.

Brian26
12-23-2009, 10:19 AM
You also didn't grow up in the late '50s when they wore the uniforms captain is proposing. I'm sure a lot of people identify with that uni as it does stand out in a good way. I agree the current should be the primary uniform, but I think the '59 is really solid, too. It looks like a modern uniform with a classic twist.

I should upload a tape of White Sox Weekly I have buried somewhere from 1990 when they introduced the new uniforms. Jeff Torborg and Paciorek were on the field, and Torborg was wearing the road uniform with the new hat. He talked about how the Sox had done a lot of research and found out that people were curious why they had moved away from the old english S-O-X design. So, they designed the current uniforms (a bit more streamlined because technology now allowed for the more complicated old english stitching instead of block letters on the hats) with a modern twist.

I guess my point is that the current uniforms are the ones that have the classic twist as a nod to old-time fans. However, at this point, you have kids graduating college who don't remember the Sox ever wearing another uniform except for the one they have now.

I like the '59 uniforms as an occasional option, but they should be the cream-colored versions with smaller #s on the sleeve, not the terrible ones they wore this year.

captain54
12-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I guess my point is that the current uniforms are the ones that have the classic twist as a nod to old-time fans. However, at this point, you have kids graduating college who don't remember the Sox ever wearing another uniform except for the one they have now.

I think the great majority of the younger Sox fans aren't quite aware that the White Sox from 1951-1967, had a winning record every year, yet were never in the playoffs because there were no playoffs. In 1964, they won 98 games and finished second, in 1965 they won 95 games and finished second again. Of course, they did manage the World Series in 59'.

Coincidentally, right around the time of the decline in 68' is when they started instituting the hideous blue (although the 64' road uni's were tinted blue for color TV, and the black hats were replaced by dark navy blue)

The 1990 uniform change that we see now is really a throwback to the uniform change in 49'-50' where they introduced the "Sox" script and basic black, except for the red trim around the script logo.( the primitive "Sox" block lettering on the hat remained though, until the later 60's)

The 50's and 60's was truly an incredible era of Sox baseball. A uniform to pay tribute to that era is due.

RadioheadRocks
12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
White is a primary color. I think white is used on every uniform in major league baseball in some form.

... which is why I continue to refer to the team colors as Silver and Black. :tongue:

doublem23
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
The 50's and 60's was truly an incredible era of Sox baseball. A uniform to pay tribute to that era is due.

And they wear '59 throwbacks all the time.

captain54
12-24-2009, 12:12 AM
And they wear '59 throwbacks all the time.

the throwbacks are the baggy style uni's and even though they are kind of cool as a novelty, I'm talking updated the color scheme of the 1990 version.

The 1990 version paid tribute to the 50's 60's uni as far as the black and "Sox"
script, now I'm talking about taking it a bit further with the red trim within the script and make it truly authentic.

MetroPD
12-24-2009, 04:09 AM
How about Orange and Blue?

doublem23
12-24-2009, 05:44 AM
The 1990 version paid tribute to the 50's 60's uni as far as the black and "Sox"
script, now I'm talking about taking it a bit further with the red trim within the script and make it truly authentic.

:chunks

The Sox's uniforms are perfect. It took 90 years, but they finally got the design right. There's no need to mess it up now.

captain54
12-24-2009, 10:06 AM
:chunks

The Sox's uniforms are perfect. It took 90 years, but they finally got the design right. There's no need to mess it up now.

Wrong...the 49' - 50' uniform was the classic, "perfect" Sox uniform. The 90' uniform design almost got it right, but not quite.

doublem23
12-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Wrong...the 49' - 50' uniform was the classic, "perfect" Sox uniform. The 90' uniform design almost got it right, but not quite.

Eh, those aren't too bad but they're a little bland. I like what the home pinstripes, road script, and black alt bring to the table. Plus, I prefer the S-O-X Old English hat about 10 trillion times more than the blase C hats.

Now then, remind me of the 49/50 or current jerseys, which one did the Sox celebrate a World Championship in?

/Debate

Standing Ovation
12-24-2009, 10:53 AM

White is not in every team's logo.

Juice16
12-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I guess I'm sick of the silver and black too. I think once too many professional and college sports team injected black in their uniform over the last 15 years it ruined it for me. I would lie to see the Sox keep the same style, but more like the uniforms of the late 60s.

captain54
12-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Eh, those aren't too bad but they're a little bland. I like what the home pinstripes, road script, and black alt bring to the table. Plus, I prefer the S-O-X Old English hat about 10 trillion times more than the blase C hats.

Now then, remind me of the 49/50 or current jerseys, which one did the Sox celebrate a World Championship in?

/Debate

I agree on the "C" pigtail hats...crappy

I don't follow you though on the "bland"....the 49" - 50" uni is the same as the 90' update, only the former is jazzed up a bit with the red accent.

Here's one thing you do need to be reminded of... between 51" and 67" the White Sox had a winning record every year. Had the current playoff structure been in place back then, they could possibly have been in the postseason practically every year, and who knows how many more World Championships could have been acquired during that period.

Also, the White Sox consistently came in right behind the Yankees in the early 60's, who had Maris, Mantle, Whitey Ford, Elston Howard, Yogi Berra,etc....not too shabby. in 61' they won 86 games and finished 23 GB!!

Bobby Thigpen
12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
The Holiday Season is complete.

We've had our annual Simpsons blowout and now the annual "Which Sox uniform do you like better and why you're absolutely right..." thread is in progress.

Merry Kwanza!

MisterB
12-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't follow you though on the "bland"....the 49" - 50" uni is the same as the 90' update, only the former is jazzed up a bit with the red accent.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1949_chicago.gif

The only red on those unis were on the stirrups. In '51 they added the pinstripes and red trim.

captain54
12-24-2009, 01:12 PM
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1949_chicago.gif

The only red on those unis were on the stirrups. In '51 they added the pinstripes and red trim.

I stand corrected....

Milw
12-24-2009, 01:47 PM
We have the best looking uniforms in baseball. Why all all the threads about changing them or adding more to them or more uniform options?? :scratch:
I wonder this very thing every single offseason.

MARTINMVP
12-25-2009, 01:56 AM
I love these type of threads (I've used the search feature the last few months to rummage through plenty of previous ones here).

Even when growing up as a Cubs fans, I always loved the White Sox overall look - and the "good guys wear black" campaign was pure genius as far as I'm concerned. It was cool and badass looking compared to Cubbie blue. Back in '92, I think I was one of two Cub fans compared to every other kid my age. Even at that age, I was groomed to think that the Cubs were dorky - and that notion stuck with me (Woo, Santo, best fans in the world, lovable losers), even though it would take another 12 years before I finally got sick of them and stopped watching baseball.

The way the Sox changed their colors and uniform styles in the past seems like a bad case of ADD to me. They're going on 20 years now with their current color scheme, and it is very unique in pro sports. While the red trim really is badass, I think that novelty has more to do with the fact that we don't have it now. If it was implemented on a permanent basis, I think that novelty would wear off quickly.

Dub25
12-25-2009, 11:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGSI316RwWs

flo-B-flo
12-26-2009, 12:48 AM
............These are the best uniforms they've ever had, and they should never change the design again. I COMPLETELY agree. Quit ****in around with the uni's!

RadioheadRocks
12-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I love these type of threads (I've used the search feature the last few months to rummage through plenty of previous ones here).

Even when growing up as a Cubs fans, I always loved the White Sox overall look - and the "good guys wear black" campaign was pure genius as far as I'm concerned. It was cool and badass looking compared to Cubbie blue.

The way the Sox changed their colors and uniform styles in the past seems like a bad case of ADD to me. They're going on 20 years now with their current color scheme, and it is very unique in pro sports. While the red trim really is badass, I think that novelty has more to do with the fact that we don't have it now. If it was implemented on a permanent basis, I think that novelty would wear off quickly.

I'm all for being badass... let's leave the uniforms as they are.

peridot
12-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I love black and silver. I don't want anything different.

Red Barchetta
12-28-2009, 06:18 PM

Even when growing up as a Cubs fans, I always loved the White Sox overall look - and the "good guys wear black" campaign was pure genius as far as I'm concerned. It was cool and badass looking compared to Cubbie blue. Back in '92, I think I was one of two Cub fans compared to every other kid my age. Even at that age, I was groomed to think that the Cubs were dorky - and that notion stuck with me (Woo, Santo, best fans in the world, lovable losers), even though it would take another 12 years before I finally got sick of them and stopped watching baseball.

I agree. I remember when they originally unveiled the current uniforms. My jaw hit the ground as I could not believe how "right" they got it! If they want to throw in a new BP hat now and then and perhaps add "Chicago" to the road alternate black jerseys, fine, however stay with what works. It's our identity.

Plus, "The Rolling Blackout" would not have been nearly as effective if it was "The Rolling Navy Blueout" or "The Rolling Black with a hint of Scarlet Redout". :D:

Plus, just for fun I occassionaly wear my '39-'44 SOX road cap - Navy Blue with the big red "C" on it. It's amazing how many Cub fans think it's a Cub hat. :rolleyes:

Let the Cubs keep the blue and the C. I like our white Old English "SOX".