PDA

View Full Version : The best game in the 2005 World Series

chisoxfanatic
12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
This stems from the "Top 10 Chicago sports games" thread in the Parking Lot. Putting aside the fact that Game 4 was the WS-clinching game, which game would you say was the top game of the 2005 World Series?

I personally say it was Game 3...Coming back from a 4-run deficit mid-game to the thrilling 5-run 5th to the nail-biting moments of the long extra-inning affair to the Geoff Blum heroics to the save credited to Mark Buehrle. I think this was the most awesome Sox game, taking into consideration everything that happened, in my personal lifetime...It had it all.

It is debatable, and "top" games are all relative to what you're looking for as a "top" game.

doublem23
12-22-2009, 03:04 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/daniel_habib/10/24/podsednik.game2/t1_pods.jpg

Game 2 was one of the best World Series games in my lifetime, let alone just 2005.

thomas35forever
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Game 2 easily. I think we've had this discussion before, too.

jej254
12-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Game 2 without question. Konerko's slam to take the lead, Bobby's blown save, then Pod's walkoff in the bottom of the 9th. Best Sox game ever. Lots of highs and lows. The stadium and the walk back to the lots were electric that night. I still get chills watching youtube videos of the grand slam. I would also argue Game 2 was the pivotal game in the series. Sucked all hope right out of the Astros.

mrfourni
12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/daniel_habib/10/24/podsednik.game2/t1_pods.jpg

Game 2 was one of the best World Series games in my lifetime, let alone just 2005.

I don't think that taste is there.

johnnyg83
12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
"How do these things happen"?

soxnut1018
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM

That taste might be there now.

A. Cavatica
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Game 4. The one with the celebration.

tacosalbarojas
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Game Two, hands down, and not just because I was there.

Woofer
12-22-2009, 08:22 PM
I tried to answer this poll, but it is like trying to say which one of your kids is your favorite. I loved each game equally.

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I have to go with Game 3.

When they won Game 1, I knew they could still lose in five. Go up 2-0 and they could still lose in six. After they won Game 2, I was still nervous about them playing in the hostile dome, facing the vaunted Astros' pitching.

If Houston had won Game 3, the Astros would have been right back in the Series, and the pressure would have been squarely on the Sox in Game 4 to avoid letting it get tied, and the Astros would have had new life and momentum and confidence.

Winning Game 3 allowed me the satisfaction of knowing it was almost certain the Sox would win it all.

soltrain21
12-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Game 2.

soltrain21
12-22-2009, 09:54 PM

When they won Game 1, I knew they could still lose in five. Go up 2-0 and they could still lose in six. After they won Game 2, I was still nervous about them playing in the hostile dome, facing the vaunted Astros' pitching.

If Houston had won Game 3, the Astros would have been right back in the Series, and the pressure would have been squarely on the Sox in Game 4 to avoid letting it get tied, and the Astros would have had new life and momentum and confidence.

Winning Game 3 allowed me the satisfaction of knowing it was almost certain the Sox would win it all.

I had no doubt the Sox were winning the series. That team finished as a machine.

Bobby Thigpen
12-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I put Game 3 just because it was an epic game and was finished out with what I saw as the real moment that defined those 2005 White Sox. A normal SP volunteering to come out of the pen on short rest to close out the game. That team wanted to win so bad, they'd do just about anything.

And they did.

Plus- I was the only one in the town I lived in at the time that stayed up and watched every inning and every play. Even my wife fell asleep.

TDog
12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
For purists, Game 4 was the best game of the series. You had great pitching and defense -- incredible defense -- and a late clutch two-out hit to drive in the only run. And so much was at stake.

Game 2 was a great game for different reasons. For the casual fan, with all the lead changes and late hitting, it would have been the most fun game to watch.

voodoochile
12-22-2009, 11:44 PM
For purists, Game 4 was the best game of the series. You had great pitching and defense -- incredible defense -- and a late clutch two-out hit to drive in the only run. And so much was at stake.

Game 2 was a great game for different reasons. For the casual fan, with all the lead changes and late hitting, it would have been the most fun game to watch.
Game 4 because at the end of it they handed the Sox a trophy. Game 2 was great baseball, but it didn't clinch anything...

StillMissOzzie
12-23-2009, 01:57 AM

My thoughts exactly. Being up 2-1 with two more games in Houston could have turned things around and ended poorly, had the Sox lost game 3. Winning game 3 meant that this was all over, as there was no way the 'Stros were gonna win 4 straight after that.

Game 2 was pretty good too, though.

SMO
:gulp:

soxinem1
12-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Game 2 easily. I think we've had this discussion before, too.

We have, but it has been four years now, so we can use the reminder.

Still, the game was awesome!!!!:bandance::bandance:

35th and Shields
12-23-2009, 03:39 PM

While I agree with your assessment in the importance of each of the wins, that wasn't the question. Best game of the series = game 2.

beasly213
12-23-2009, 04:33 PM

What he said. Paul Konerkos grandslam was the happiest moment of my life. I'm 100% serious about that.

Foulke You
12-23-2009, 05:27 PM

I felt the Sox were going all the way after this moment:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/mlb/2005/1007/photo/g_orlando_275.jpg

Frontman
12-23-2009, 05:37 PM
For sheer enjoyment/roller coaster joy; it was Game 2. From Konerko's slam; to Pods walk off; to Jenks struggles?

It was a great baseball game.

PaleHoser
12-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I felt the Sox were going all the way after this moment:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/mlb/2005/1007/photo/g_orlando_275.jpg

+1

El Duque had some grande cojones, enough for both himself and Marte.

My favorite was Game 4 for some ninth inning defense (Uribe's catch was out of this world) and the party afterwards.

Thread hijack - Which World Series win will be sweeter: 2005 or 2010?

MarySwiss
12-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Game 4. Because that was the championship-winning one!!! :bandance:

october23sp
12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Game 2. Misery to Joy to Misery to Joy.

asindc
12-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Game 4. Because that was the championship-winning one!!! :bandance:

This.

TDog
12-24-2009, 01:27 AM
+1

My favorite was Game 4 for some ninth inning defense (Uribe's catch was out of this world) and the party afterwards. ...

It wasn't just Uribe's catch. Look at Game 4 again. (I was listening to the game on the radio, but when I got a chance to see it, I found Jon Miller's raves understated Uribe's late-inning defense.) Look at the play that ended the Astros' half of the eighth with Taveras on third. The next Astros out was a sacrifice -- how you could give up one of your last three outs when you are losing in a game that could end your season with a loss is beyond me. Then comes the catch, and then comes a strong Uribe throw on a bouncer up the middle to end the game. Uribe took over the game defensively once the Sox grabbed the lead.

Milw
12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
What he said. Paul Konerkos grandslam was the happiest moment of my life. I'm 100% serious about that.
It sounds shallow and myopic to say that... and yet I agree with you completely. In terms of sudden, unadulterated euphoria, the only singular moment of my life that even comes close to that one is Podsednik's walkoff a couple innings later.

Dibbs
12-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I vote for game 2 hands down. I think it is due to the fact it was at home, and I was there.

GlassSox
12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Game 2

sullythered
12-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Come on. They were all awesome, but game 2 was ri-damn-diculous.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
12-25-2009, 04:08 AM
I actually have bad memories of Game 1, because I had eaten some bad ribs and was puking all night as a result.

Game 2, I was healthy again, and when Konerko hit the first-pitch granny off of Qualls, I was a pure bundle of happiness. Then Jenks almost blew it, and I was pissed. Then came Pods...off the bat, I didn't think it was going to be a homer, but when Buck started picking up his voice a bit and the camera was having a hard time tracking the ball, I started getting this surreal feeling, like "Is this really happening?" Then I screamed "GO! GO! GET OUTTA HERE!! YEAH!!!!" I was almost crying at the end, it was that emotional of a game. Of course, my mom had went to the bathroom right before Pods came to the plate, and she missed it.

Then I was back at NIU in my dorm for Games 3 and 4. Game 3 I was putting off doing some homework, and then I finally caved in after the 11th and started doing it, with the game in the background.

Game 4, I had the game going full-blast in the ninth. About 6 people were in my room watching the final inning with me. When the final out happened, pandemonium set in. I was hugging everyone in sight, and my old roommate (a Cubs fan) came in and poured Dr. Pepper all on me. Then I took part in an impromptu rally march around the NIU campus, then came back to the dorms and...did homework for a bit, content with the fact that my team was on top of the baseball world.

Oh yeah, the point...I have to say Game 4, because come on, it was the game that crowned the Sox the champs. Game 2 was loads of fun, but Game 4 was what White Sox baseball was all about that year...great pitching and defense, with enough offense to win.

SOXSINCE'70
12-25-2009, 12:37 PM

This was my choice as well. Don't forget Konerko's Grand Slam.:cool:

TomBradley72
12-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I'll go with Game 2. Not only for the historic drama of PK's grand slam and Pods' walk off...but because if we had lost that game...it's 1-1 heading to Houston and that might have really shifted the momentum of the series.

Rohan
12-25-2009, 07:37 PM
:rolling:

cards press box
12-27-2009, 01:23 PM

How about it -- that was the great moment of the 2005 playoffs. The best World Series game, for me, was Game 1. For one thing, it was the first WS game for the White Sox since 1959.

More importantly, the way the Sox played in Game 1 set the tone for the entire series. Houston tied the game a couple of times but the Sox never relinquished the lead. And many of the plays were memorable and indicative of how the Sox played all season:

Jermaine Dye and Joe Crede hit clutch home runs;

Crede made unbelievable plays at 3B to save runs;

the Sox had great baserunning from Crl Everett (remember the hit and run and how Everett scored from third with the delayed jump on AJ's grounder), AJ (stolen base) and Scotty Pods (stolen base and run scoring triple in the gap), an Aaron Rowand hit and run single to RF;

a sac bunt from Everett, the 5th place hitter; and

the clutch strikeouts from Neal Cotts and Bobby Jenks in that memorable 8th inning.

What a game!

Which World Series win will be sweeter: 2005 or 2010?

I applaud the enthusiasm. The roster probably is not set yet (and the Sox will probably add another lefty bat). Nonetheless, I think next season will be great, too