PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox wear the 1983 unis more often?

thomas35forever
12-22-2009, 12:22 PM
It seems like a lot of teams in all major sports leagues are going retro more regularly. With that in mind, I'd like to see the Sox wear their 1983 uniforms more than just once every five years. What do you think?

BleacherBandit
12-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't dislike them, but I hate to see teams adopt their throwbacks as alternate uniforms--like the Blue Jays and the Twins next season.

TommyJohn
12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
No No No No No No No NO NO NO NO!!!!!
Enduring those pieces of **** for five seasons was plenty enough for me. If there are any spare ones laying around, burn the damn things.

pythons007
12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Actually I like the one with the "S" with stars in it. Those are some sweet uni's I would love for them to wear more often!

TornLabrum
12-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Those uniforms were uglier than the Astros unis from the same era. So in a word: NO!

ode to veeck
12-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Only the red pin stripes and the shorts should come back from 70's - 80s

TomBradley72
12-22-2009, 01:14 PM

The red pin stripes DEFINITELY.

PaleHoser
12-22-2009, 01:14 PM
No. I always thought these uniforms looked like a cereal box.

I have little use for a "throwback" uniform being worn in a stadium they were never worn in to begin with. The original "Turn Back the Clock Day" in 1990 worked for me because it was old-time uniforms, in an old-time park in an old-time atmosphere - no public address or between inning advertisements or scoreboard stuff. Nancy even walked the park and played the accordian. That felt right.

Trying to pull it off now seems contrived to me.

DirtySox
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Absolutely. Love them.

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
No No No No No No No NO NO NO NO!!!!!
Enduring those pieces of **** for five seasons was plenty enough for me. If there are any spare ones laying around, burn the damn things.

Those uniforms had a pretty good winning percentage, though...:smile:

Waysouthsider
12-22-2009, 01:20 PM

The shorts would really be something.....a painful something!

I like the 80's threads.....

russ99
12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
The red pin stripes DEFINITELY.

I love the red pinstripes. That's my second favorite Sox hat too...

Sadly, we'll probably never see them on the field.

Brooks Boyer is quoted (in an interview by Lip, I think) that the Sox only will use throwbacks from years where the Sox won a division, league or Series title.

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Brooks Boyer is quoted (in an interview by Lip, I think) that the Sox only will use throwbacks from years where the Sox won a division, league or Series title.

That sure does not leave many options.

Hoever the red/black pinstripes of the 50's are awesome. I even like the blue p/s.

Except for the 87-90 uniforms, I like them all!!!

Zisk77
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM

Well if u red pinstriped lovers would just inundate his mailbox I bet he'd change his mind. In this economy anything that would put dupas in the seats would not go uninvestigated.

Just don't wear the road uniforms, we are not the phillies or cardinals.

DaveFeelsRight
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd prefer if we wore these for every friday home game:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2609268509_28223068fe_o.png

chisoxfanatic
12-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Actually I like the one with the "S" with stars in it. Those are some sweet uni's I would love for them to wear more often!
Weren't those the 1917 uniforms? They wore those for every Sunday home game during the 2001 season, and they did look nice. In fact, I have a poster of Paul Konerko wearing one up on my wall here in my office at home.

I'd like them to wear throwbacks from every era, actually. Do it on a rotating basis, perhaps every Sunday.

downstairs
12-22-2009, 03:20 PM
The Sox have such a great uniform history, I really think they should wear all of them equally. Don't overdo it (I hate the "throwback Sunday" or whatever other teams are doing). But show off the great ones and the crazy ones all the same. Its a major part of our history.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I actually have one of those 1990 jerseys thanks to a chance association with a sales rep from Rawlings.

Regarding Brooks' comment, here you go:

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series.

To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th.

We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans. (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)"

Lip

g0g0
12-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Those unis are the first ones I remember and were worn at my first game. I love them! That being said, as mentioned, the Sox have such a great diverse uni history that I would welcome a lot of the different eras.

ewokpelts
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I actually have one of those 1990 jerseys thanks to a chance association with a sales rep from Rawlings.

ML: “Throwback” games and weekends are very popular around major league baseball. Last year the Sox had the chance to honor the 1967, 1972 and 1977 clubs on their 40th, 35th and 30th anniversaries respectively, yet you chose to go in a different direction. This isn’t a criticism but I’m wondering why you didn’t?

BB: “That’s a very fair question. With no disrespect to those teams, some of the best loved in Sox history, they didn’t get to the World Series.

To some fans, 1977 for example, just isn’t relevant. We honored the 1959 team with a weekend because they got to the World Series. A few years ago we honored the 20th anniversary of the 1983 team because they were special to a large number of our fans. We’re going to do something again this season on the 25th anniversary but it won’t be as involved. We’ll have a game where we wear the 1983 style uniforms. We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms and we’ve got the camouflage jerseys on July 4th.

We don’t want this to become gimmicky, we want to do things that are relevant to our current fans. (Author’s Note: It was at this point that I tried to sell Brooks on the idea of the red pinstriped era, aka Dick Allen and how special that was to my generation!)"

Lip

those crazy uniforms are as much a part of sox history as the bricks from old comiskey park.

bring them ALL back, even for one night a year....

Medford Bobby
12-22-2009, 03:37 PM

Lip

These too were my special formative years of becoming a hard core Pale Hose fan. For a franchise that had long gaps between championship years they should also recognize the past Sox teams and fans that supported those ball clubs during those "irrelevant" years.....:(:

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd prefer if we wore these for every friday home game:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2609268509_28223068fe_o.png

http://imgsrv.670thescore.com/image/DbLiteGraphic/200908/4965738.jpg

'UH, OH!!'

gregoriop
12-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know why the '83 ones got so popular, but they are UGLY. The '87-'90 ones are great though!

Nellie_Fox
12-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Weren't those the 1917 uniforms? They wore those for every Sunday home game during the 2001 season, and they did look nice. In fact, I have a poster of Paul Konerko wearing one up on my wall here in my office at home.

I'd like them to wear throwbacks from every era, actually. Do it on a rotating basis, perhaps every Sunday.The ones with the stars in the S were the 1917 World Series uniform. The regular '17 uniform didn't have the stars.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1917_chicago.gif

HomeFish
12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
As long as Brooks is around, this idea is DOA.

How soon will it be before we do 2005 throwbacks with the fake vest jerseys?

Back around 2003, the '83 jerseys were extremely popular with young people as retro gear. This might be one marketing-related reason to go back to them. People would buy them up, I'm sure.

C-Dawg
12-23-2009, 07:13 AM
We’ll also have our ‘halfway to St. Patrick’s Day,’ where we wear the green uniforms ...

I'd rather see a red pinstripes game or a Veeck floppy collar game than those green uniforms.

Bucky F. Dent
12-23-2009, 07:54 AM
IMO, if they are going to throwback to any uniform, it should be to the red pins of the early seventies, or the "Go, Go, Sox!" uniforms.

pythons007
12-23-2009, 08:00 AM
The ones with the stars in the S were the 1917 World Series uniform. The regular '17 uniform didn't have the stars.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1917_chicago.gif

Those are freaking sweeeeeet! I bought a Ventura 1917 jersey for my then girlfriend soon to be wifey. If I get another jersey, its going to be that one.

Pete Ward
12-23-2009, 08:18 AM
The Best

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/wayne19563/Sox1.jpg

MARTINMVP
12-23-2009, 08:40 AM
As a 25 year old, I see how often in their history the Sox have changed their uniforms, compared to some other teams. I love the current scheme now, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking how long until the ADD kicks in and they decide to change to something butt ugly?

TheOldRoman
12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
How soon will it be before we do 2005 throwbacks with the fake vest jerseys?I know you are joking, but they went back to real vests in 2005. The fake vests lasted from 2002-2004.

I agree that the Sox shouldn't muddle their identity. Our home and road unis are some of the best in the league. If anything, we need to accentuate them more and stop wearing the black softball jerseys 3 out of every 4 games.

I have always had a softspot for the 83 look because it is from my childhood, but I am glad it is gone. I am also glad that after so many different jerseys and colors, they Sox have finally found something perfect. A throwback here and there is fine, but we don't need see them weekly. I loved the 1917 world series throwbacks the Sox wore in 01, and I liked seeing them every Sunday, but that was just for one season.

Rdy2PlayBall
12-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Lol. Hellz naw. xD

I don't like them at all. The hats are cool, and nike made a cool shirt out of it for me... but the uniforms were ugly. I can see them wearing them once or twice a year TOPS. I don't like them.

Now, if they were giving them away to the first 5,000 people for a promotional thing when they wear them.... then that's a different story. :tongue:

TomBradley72
12-23-2009, 02:17 PM

Lip

Usually Brooks is VERY connected to how the fans feel...but he's way off on this...I don't know a single White Sox fan who was following the team in '67, '72 or '77 that doesn't place all these team right behind the 2005, 1959, 1993, 1983, 2000 White Sox...they are HIGHLY relevent to the fan base in my opinion.

TomBradley72
12-23-2009, 02:19 PM
If anything, we need to accentuate them more and stop wearing the black softball jerseys 3 out of every 4 games.

Completely agree...the one change I would make is to add "White Sox" underneath "Chicago" on the road jersey's like they did in the 71-75 road jersey's.

veeter
12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
It seems like a lot of teams in all major sports leagues are going retro more regularly. With that in mind, I'd like to see the Sox wear their 1983 uniforms more than just once every five years. What do you think?Only if they wear them like they're supposed to be worn. Way too small. Luzinski looked like a bratwurst wearing those things. Last time they wore them, they were updated to be looser. If you go retro, go all the way.

veeter
12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
The Best

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/wayne19563/Sox1.jpgWithout a doubt. I absolutely LOVE the zippered shirt. I can still see Luis Alvarado streaking around the bases during an inside-the-park homerun, in that uni. Man, am I old.

Frontman
12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
If once a year they do throwback uniforms; I've got no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is if they start having 4 and 5 and 6 different throwback uniforms throughout the year. Make it special; and leave it at that.

That being said, I'm probably in the minority but I like the 80's uniform.

TheOldRoman
12-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Usually Brooks is VERY connected to how the fans feel...but he's way off on this...I don't know a single White Sox fan who was following the team in '67, '72 or '77 that doesn't place all these team right behind the 2005, 1959, 1993, 1983, 2000 White Sox...they are HIGHLY relevent to the fan base in my opinion.I wouldn't be opposed to the Sox doing something like 70s night or 80s night in which the team wore throwbacks in correspondence with other other activities. But I don't disagree with Boyer on this. Those were good teams, but they dont have a banner hanging anywhere in the park, so they don't deserve commemeration.

"Dad. These jerseys are from 1977. Did the Sox win the world series that year?"
"No. They finished in third place, but it was a fun season."

SephClone89
12-23-2009, 07:20 PM
The early 80s uniforms are terrible. People love to wear the caps and the batter logo and everything, but there are half-dozen uniforms in Sox history which are far, far, better.

TheCommander
12-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't know why the '83 ones got so popular, but they are UGLY. The '87-'90 ones are great though!

I don't know why the '87-'90 ones got so popular, but they are UGLY. The '83 ones are great though!

Sorry, but I feel the exact opposite of you. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
12-24-2009, 12:39 AM
Only if they wear them like they're supposed to be worn. Way too small. Luzinski looked like a bratwurst wearing those things. Last time they wore them, they were updated to be looser. If you go retro, go all the way.That's my opinion of throwbacks in general. If the players won't wear them the way they were worn, then don't bother. Pants "spatted" or "stacked" look ridiculous with throwbacks. Wear them with stirrups showing or not at all.

cards press box
12-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Without a doubt. I absolutely LOVE the zippered shirt. I can still see Luis Alvarado streaking around the bases during an inside-the-park homerun, in that uni. Man, am I old.

Did Alvarado hit the inside-the-park home run against Boston in 1972?

oeo
12-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Those uniforms were uglier than the Astros unis from the same era. So in a word: NO!

No way. Those Astros uniforms are uglier on color scheme alone.

ewokpelts
12-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to the Sox doing something like 70s night or 80s night in which the team wore throwbacks in correspondence with other other activities. But I don't disagree with Boyer on this. Those were good teams, but they dont have a banner hanging anywhere in the park, so they don't deserve commemeration.

"Dad. These jerseys are from 1977. Did the Sox win the world series that year?"
"No. They finished in third place, but it was a fun season."my father in law still considers the 77 season his favorite. despite the fact that 2005 was a WS winner.

of course, i consider 1990 my favorite, despite 2005 being a ws winner.

veeter
12-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Did Alvarado hit the inside-the-park home run against Boston in 1972?I'd have to check the media guide. I was really young, but I remember it. The outfield must have been really shallow. He hit a gapper and made it around.

Brian26
12-24-2009, 08:52 PM
my step dad still considers the 77 season his favorite. despite the fact that 2005 was a WS winner.

What does he know...he's a Cubs fan! :tongue:

Jerko
12-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I like having a lot of different uniform combinations. I wouldn't even mind a different throwback one time each month.

soxinem1
12-24-2009, 10:26 PM
my step dad still considers the 77 season his favorite. despite the fact that 2005 was a WS winner.

of course, i consider 1990 my favorite, despite 2005 being a ws winner.

There are valid points on both teams.

For many of us, 1977 was the first solid White Sox contender of our lives, and it was the first real slugging White Sox team in franchise history.

I just absolutely loved the 1990 White Sox. Not only did I attend every home game (and an all day rain delay against TEX), but I saw them almost a dozen times on the road.

When they beat NYY without getting a hit on a cool Sunday afternoon, they vaulted into 1st Place, and I felt they were destiny's darlings. That team wore their hearts on their sleeves.

Being the last season in Comiskey Park, 1990 was just saturated with memories, including the debut of the great uniforms the team wears today.

ewokpelts
12-25-2009, 12:02 AM
What does he know...he's a Cubs fan! :tongue:i meant to say my father in law.

and my step dad is a sox fan, he just works in the heart of the evil empire

ewokpelts
12-25-2009, 12:05 AM
There are valid points on both teams.

For many of us, 1977 was the first solid White Sox contender of our lives, and it was the first real slugging White Sox team in franchise history.

I just absolutely loved the 1990 White Sox. Not only did I attend every home game (and an all day rain delay against TEX), but I saw them almost a dozen times on the road.

When they beat NYY without getting a hit on a cool Sunday afternoon, they vaulted into 1st Place, and I felt they were destiny's darlings. That team wore their hearts on their sleeves.

Being the last season in Comiskey Park, 1990 was just saturated with memories, including the debut of the great uniforms the team wears today.1990 was the year I became a sox fan. almost became a cub fan the year earlier, but the 1990 sox were the first team i followed daily.

tick53
12-26-2009, 12:55 PM
You mean the softball unis? Nah, those things are brutal.

Red Barchetta
12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Didn't they honor the 83 uniforms back in 2008 for the 25th annivesary of the AL West Championship? Personally, I liked them during their brief time, however I certainly don't need to revisit them on a regular basis.

Based on Brooks' earlier feedback, they need to submit any alternative uniform requests a few years in advance to MLB. They have honored the 59 team, the 83 team and the 1917 team. Although I think it would be cool to wear the red pinstripes or the South Side Hit Men pajamas (pants not shorts) :D: perhaps during the 70s disco nights, etc., I don't think the organization wants to go in that direction.

I for one would like to see more of the standard home pinstripes and the standard road grays with the Black Alternate only worn occassionaly.

LITTLE NELL
12-26-2009, 04:26 PM
No, second worse Sox uni of all time. Veecks 76 through 81 were the worst.