PDA

View Full Version : Britt Burns Trade

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
I wonder if I can get some insight on this.

A few days ago I was going through some old baseball stuff I had and found a full page Sun-Times cut out I saved from the 1985 season that detailed Britt Burns comeback season.

At the time he was 18-8 with a 3.55 ERA and two things stood out in the article.

The first was that Britt felt he was all the way back from the arm and personal issues that plagued his previous three seasons, and that he was looking forward to working out a contract extension with the team.

Less than two weeks later he began to develop hip soreness and never won another big league game, and never even pitched in MLB after the 1985 season.

Then I found another press clipping with this noting Burns now wanting to be traded, saying a quick blurb about him wanting to be closer to home, and the new GM Hawk Harrelson (who once stated Burns was the best lefty starter he had ever seen except for Sam McDowell and young Frank Tanana) saying he would do everythng he could to accomodate this.

While wanting to play closer to home is a common statement made by players, I found it curious that less than two months later, and right after Hawk was named GM, that Hoss had such an abrupt change of heart.

Does anyone know anything, other than speculation, on why this may have happened??