PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Respect for the 1983 White Sox

TomBradley72
12-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Anyone else watch the replay of Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS on MLB last weekend?

I watched the game "live" when it happened...but had not watched it since...watching the full replay last weekend...I came away very impressed with how hard that team fought in Game 4...Cruz had a good game at the plate and on the basepaths, also turned a fantastic double play with a feed from Vance Law.

The White Sox had at least 4 drives they pounded into the OF that Roenicke, Shelby and Landrum chased down...if one of those dropped...the WSox win. And we all know we would have had Hoyt in Game 5.

If Fletcher had been in the game instead of ****ing Dybzinski...who knows?

SI1020
12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
After all these years I still can't watch it again. The thing I remember the most, even more than Dybzinski's blunder and Tito Landrum is the great fight Britt Burns put up for the Sox. I really loved that team but the Orioles were still in their glory years, even if they were coming to a close.

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 11:14 AM
As painful as this game always was for me, I do like to watch it, except for Britt Burns' glare to the OF when Landrum tomahawked the HR, and Barojas coming in and throwing a quick BP session.

This is because of how Burns pitched. He had little command that day, was throwing a little straight, worked slow as hell (even slower than usual), but battled his ass off, pitched hard, and shut down the second highest-scoring team in MLB (by one less than us) going into the 10th Inning.

I believe he threw about 160 pitches in that game and gave it all he could.

I still remember NBC sports noting that night what a gutsy performance he put in.

Who'd have thought he only had one full season left after that.

TomBradley72
12-22-2009, 11:14 AM
After all these years I still can't watch it again. The thing I remember the most, even more than Dybzinski's blunder and Tito Landrum is the great fight Britt Burns put up for the Sox. I really loved that team but the Orioles were still in their glory years, even if they were coming to a close.

The O's played great defense that day..including some great plays by Ripken and Dauer....that (and Luzinski's 0-5, 3 Ks) were the difference along with the Dybzinksi bonehead play.

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
The O's played great defense that day..including some great plays by Ripken and Dauer....that (and Luzinski's 0-5, 3 Ks) were the difference along with the Dybzinksi bonehead play.

Not to mention a nice catch by Gary Roenicke and a couple by John Shelby, including robbing a HR.

BAL played solid D all year that season, and that bullpen was tough.

Can you imagine a closer going four innings to finish a win today?

DumpJerry
12-22-2009, 11:25 AM
After all these years I still can't watch it again.
Same here. Thinking about it hurts.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I watched it all the way through.

I still am amazed it was a day game.

SaltyPretzel
12-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I remember my dad had tickets for game 5. :whiner:

Paulwny
12-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I had taped the game, but took a hammer to the tape soon after the game ended. :angry:
This game then led to the 84' disaster year.:angry:

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I had taped the game, but took a hammer to the tape soon after the game ended. :angry:
This game then led to the 84' disaster year.:angry:

Over-expectation, no up the middle offense, eight players having down years, a washed-up DH, and an ineffective 40 year-old closer helped lead to 1984, but that is a different discussion.

Carolina Kenny
12-22-2009, 12:27 PM
As painful as this game always was for me, I do like to watch it, except for Britt Burns' glare to the OF when Landrum tomahawked the HR, and Barojas coming in and throwing a quick BP session.

This is because of how Burns pitched. He had little command that day, was throwing a little straight, worked slow as hell (even slower than usual), but battled his ass off, pitched hard, and shut down the second highest-scoring team in MLB (by one less than us) going into the 10th Inning.

I believe he threw about 160 pitches in that game and gave it all he could.

I still remember NBC sports noting that night what a gutsy performance he put in.

Who'd have thought he only had one full season left after that.

I was at that game. I got lucky and seats 15 rows up behind home plate. To this day I will always admire Britt Burns for the performance he turned in that day. He gave it every last ounce of energy he had. At the end he truly was running on fumes.

The Orioles of that era were a powerhouse and eventually won the WS in 1983. Even so the Sox had Hoyt scheduled next and could have easily won that game and gone on to the World Series.
That game is one of the most memorable I have ever seen. I still have an old video tape of it, and it still hurts to watch it even after all these years. History was dripping from the old ballpark that day as did the tears from my eyes.

Cat Thief
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM
My buddy John and I were at that game. 15 years old at the time. I'll admit it, I cried. We sat right in front of Eddie Murray's wife.

PaleHoser
12-22-2009, 12:40 PM
The irony for me was that bunting and baserunning were supposed to be Dybzinski's strengths.

Hoyt would have won Game 5. There is absolutely no question in my mind.

DumpJerry
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I still remember how quiet it was on the television as the ball left Landrum's bat in 10th.

white sox bill
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Was this game orginally played on a Saturday? Yes I remember watching. Been on meds ever since....

DumpJerry
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Was this game orginally played on a Saturday? Yes I remember watching. Been on meds ever since....
Yes. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198310080.shtml) Worst day ever to be a Sox fan. A friend of mine recently said "Sox fans never cry." I told her that after this game ended, the tears coming my cheeks were so heavy, they made Niagara Falls look like a trickle.

Zisk77
12-22-2009, 01:11 PM
The irony for me was that bunting and baserunning were supposed to be Dybzinski's strengths.

Hoyt would have won Game 5. There is absolutely no question in my mind.

Welcome to WSI Hawk :smile:

white sox bill
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Yes. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198310080.shtml) Worst day ever to be a Sox fan. A friend of mine recently said "Sox fans never cry." I told her that after this game ended, the tears coming my cheeks were so heavy, they made Niagara Falls look like a trickle.

Gee thanks DumpJerry for the link. It took me over a quarter a century to get over it until I clicked linky. Now back to my shrink I go..:)

I didn't even go out partying that night, despite the fact I was at that party age of 23. I think I told my GF at that time to leave me alone, I just want to sulk.

WisSoxFan
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
It was my 20th birthday. I remember sitting home alone watching because all of my college friends were at the Wisconsin/Illinois game that afternoon. I did not join them for adult beverages afterward. I was too depressed. Still hurts a little just reading this thread.

TommyJohn
12-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I didn't cry but I did feel a crushing sense of depression settle over me after the game.

And I should think that anybody who watches the game now would exonerate Dybzinski, not further bash him. The Sox just were not getting it done. They put men on base in every inning except one and did not push that one run across. They were in a slump and the Orioles flat out beat them. They were the better team that year. End of discussion. Jerry, it wasn't your fault.

Speaking of Dibbs, I see that a few Sox fans are slow in forgiving. Ol' Jer should be thankful he pulled the blunder for the White Sox instead of Boston or the Cubs. If he did it for one of those teams, he would either be in the Idaho hinterlands with Bill Buckner or hiding out from the Chicago media while Jay the Windsock continues to obsess over him.

ode to veeck
12-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Same here. Thinking about it hurts.

Just seeing the year in print hurts

roylestillman
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I didn't cry but I did feel a crushing sense of depression settle over me after the game.

And I should think that anybody who watches the game now would exonerate Dybzinski, not further bash him. The Sox just were not getting it done. They put men on base in every inning except one and did not push that one run across. They were in a slump and the Orioles flat out beat them. They were the better team that year. End of discussion. Jerry, it wasn't your fault.

Speaking of Dibbs, I see that a few Sox fans are slow in forgiving. Ol' Jer should be thankful he pulled the blunder for the White Sox instead of Boston or the Cubs. If he did it for one of those teams, he would either be in the Idaho hinterlands with Bill Buckner or hiding out from the Chicago media while Jay the Windsock continues to obsess over him.
Mark me as one who hasn't forgiven the Dibber. That was the most depressed I have ever felt after a Sox game. I blamed at least some of it on NBC who jammed a Noon start after a late Friday night game. I think I was in McCuddy's before 10:00 AM that Saturday.

white sox bill
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Mark me as one who hasn't forgiven the Dibber. That was the most depressed I have ever felt after a Sox game. I blamed at least some of it on NBC who jammed a Noon start after a late Friday night game. I think I was in McCuddy's before 10:00 AM that Saturday.
Yes but I'm sure you understand Baltimore had same situation. But it still sucked.

I loved that '83 team. IIRC wasn't that the first or second yr of the ill conceived Sportsvision? Seems I remember watching it on this small medicore TV. Pic was grainy at best.

Seeing the roof shots by Kittle, Luzinski and crew were unforgettable. The 'ol gal of a ballpark was rockin all summer long.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Here's the entire season folks. You'll probably really enjoy the audio highlights:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2321

Lip

tacosalbarojas
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Yes but I'm sure you understand Baltimore had same situation. But it still sucked.

I loved that '83 team. IIRC wasn't that the first or second yr of the ill conceived Sportsvision? Seems I remember watching it on this small medicore TV. Pic was grainy at best.

Seeing the roof shots by Kittle, Luzinski and crew were unforgettable. The 'ol gal of a ballpark was rockin all summer long.
I DVRed this game from last year when they ran it and still have it, just to have the old park on the DVR for a full game - and the video is pretty good too. It's a tough watch for sure, but the old park was something else.

Brian26
12-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I DVRed this game from last year when they ran it and still have it, just to have the old park on the DVR for a full game - and the video is pretty good too. It's a tough watch for sure, but the old park was something else.

I did the same thing. Been watching it a couple innings at a time.

The most amazing part is how many chances the Sox had to win that game besides the boneheaded play by Dybber.

Drysdale's commentary was top-notch also. Early Wynn left a little to be desired.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 08:22 PM
White Sox Bill:

SportsVision aired their first game (Sox / Brewers) in May 1982.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
To this day I still think that the 83 team was the best team in MLB that year and just happenned to be victims of "anything can happen in a short series".

tacosalbarojas
12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I did the same thing. Been watching it a couple innings at a time.

The most amazing part is how many chances the Sox had to win that game besides the boneheaded play by Dybber.

Drysdale's commentary was top-notch also. Early Wynn left a little to be desired.
I'd forgotten Early did those games with DD. I was so disappointed because I was hoping for some Drysdale/Harrelson!

flo-B-flo
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM
this is a painful memory, I watched the game on MLB. Just loved the way the old Gal looked. I was taken back to all the times in my youth when I spent watching games there. In my heart I thought this team was the best team that year. So many crazy things happened that year and I remember organizing my time around watching and following the games. Yea it still hurt but, it was fun revisiting.......

tebman
12-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I was at that game too, along with my wife and my mother. We had standing-room tickets and spent the whole game on the scoreboard ramp.

Depressing is the word. Dybzinski's baserunning gaffe gets most of the attention, but my special ire was then and still is now directed at Luzinski's non-performance. Especially his tenth-inning passive strikeout -- in that situation, you swing at anything you can hit!

I missed the broadcast. Probably better that I did.

C-Dawg
12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
but my special ire was then and still is now directed at Luzinski's non-performance. Especially his tenth-inning passive strikeout ...

Wasn't he the last batter too? That's what I remember as well; Luzinski strikes out and the season was up in smoke. It was hard to believe it was over. Like a mirage.

sox1970
12-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Wasn't he the last batter too? That's what I remember as well; Luzinski strikes out and the season was up in smoke. It was hard to believe it was over. Like a mirage.

Paciorek. Dropped 3rd strike. Throw to first. Season over.

tebman
12-23-2009, 01:16 PM

No, he was the second out that inning, though it was clear to everybody in the park at that point that the season was up in smoke. Baines had singled ahead of Luzinski, which makes it even more incredible that he didn't swing. Baines had speed then, and even though Luzinski was a DH, y'gotta advance the runner when you're in the tenth inning of what's likely the last game! :gah:

TomBradley72
12-23-2009, 03:14 PM
When you into extra innings tied 0-0...there are bound to be alot of plays that would have turned the tide. BUT, I still believe it was Dibber who deserves the goat horns...get the bunt down and Cruz's single scores a run, we win 1-0. Keep your head up, pick up your coach...base loaded, 1 out, Rudy Law's drive to RF scores Vance Law, we win 1-0.

Fundamental plays taught in Little League.

****...I'm getting pissed all over again, 2 day's before Christmas, 26 years later.

I love this game. :smile:

Lip Man 1
12-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Vance Law told me he thought Dibber deliberately got himself caught because he hoped Vance would have been able to score before he was tagged out.

Vance also said every single player on that club respected Dibber because afterwards he stood there and answered every question from the media, he didn't leave the locker room or run and hide in the training room.

Lip

soxinem1
12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Vance Law told me he thought Dibber deliberately got himself caught because he hoped Vance would have been able to score before he was tagged out.

Vance also said every single player on that club respected Dibber because afterwards he stood there and answered every question from the media, he didn't leave the locker room or run and hide in the training room.

Lip

I do remember this, and frankly, Dibber was one of the reason that team caught fire. He never was a hitter but he calmed down the SS position for a good three months.

We might not win the division without him because the Opening Day lineup of Lorenzo Gray at 3B, Fletcher at SS, Bernazard at 2B, and Walker at 1B couldn't catch a cold.

And besides, when you lead the league in runs scored, you can't get shut out twice and score THREE runs in a best of five series and expect to win.

StillMissOzzie
12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
I still think that the 2005 team should have been the 2nd World Series champion White Sox team in my lefetime, following the footsteps of the 1983 team. Aggravates me again thinking about what could, and should, have been.

SMO
:whiner::angry:

TomBradley72
12-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I do remember this, and frankly, Dibber was one of the reason that team caught fire. He never was a hitter but he calmed down the SS position for a good three months.

We might not win the division without him because the Opening Day lineup of Lorenzo Gray at 3B, Fletcher at SS, Bernazard at 2B, and Walker at 1B couldn't catch a cold.

And besides, when you lead the league in runs scored, you can't get shut out twice and score THREE runs in a best of five series and expect to win.

Well said.

SOXSINCE'70
12-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Blow Sawx fans always talk about Bucky ****ing Dent.
With White Sox fans of the 1983 team,
it's all about Tito ****ing Landrum.:angry:

Yes, it still hurts,26 years later.

TommyJohn
12-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Blow Sawx fans always talk about Bucky ****ing Dent.
With White Sox fans of the 1983 team,
it's all about Tito ****ing Landrum.:angry:

Yes, it still hurts,26 years later.
Yes, but only Red Sox fans feel true, true pain. Only they have suffered such people as never suffered. We don't count, remember?