PDA

View Full Version : Cubune Poll - Sox Army Callup

FielderJones
12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Things are already going well (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-2000-sports-polls,0,6799729.storygallery), let's keep it that way.

:churrosarmy:

DumpJerry
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM
There are White Sox choices in each of the categories, but not a Cub choice in each one.

I guess the sale to the Ricketts is finalized.

GoGoCrede
12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Voted. That was easy. :smile:

JermaineDye05
12-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Who is Dwayne Wise? :scratch:

I tried voting for the 2005 Sox for the team of the decade and I got

"An error occurred while processing your request. Reference #102.37961160.1261366679.0"

And they say there is no Cubs bias at the Tribune

Shoeless
12-20-2009, 10:39 PM
White Sox = Own. I even had to vote against my beloved Fighting Illini. 2005 was a flat out incredible year.

RadioheadRocks
12-21-2009, 04:21 AM
The only tricky part was the four-way split caused by the "play of the decade": (El Duque, Paulie and Pods, AJ and Buehrle-mon's perfecto)... if I could split my vote four ways I would.

BadBobbyJenks
12-21-2009, 06:56 AM
How could you not have Scotty Pods' walkoff as most unforgettable play of the decade?

Over By There
12-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Voted. :cool:

Marqhead
12-21-2009, 09:13 AM
(Results not scientific) :tongue:

Hitmen77
12-21-2009, 09:52 AM
It really shows you how de-void this decade has been of Cub memories if the Cubune can't even b.s. its way into having at least equal representation for their favorite team. The Cubs' most "unforgettable" moment of the decade was also one of the biggest fiascoes in their franchise's long history of fiascoes.

Oh, and with a sincere apology to any real women's lacrosse fans, you just know that most of the people who voted for N.U.'s 5-time champions were just Cub fans voting for them out of spite.:tongue:

Chez
12-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I had a hard time choosing between the 2005 World Series and the Illini comeback over Arizona. Both were truly amazing and unforgettable. In the end, I voted for the 2005 World Series (Pods and Paulie). The 2008 Black Out Game #163 against Minnesota should also have been nominated.

WinningUgly!
12-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Unforgettable moment of the decade

Sox win World Series not among options? huh?

mrwag
12-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I had a hard time choosing between the 2005 World Series and the Illini comeback over Arizona. Both were truly amazing and unforgettable. In the end, I voted for the 2005 World Series (Pods and Paulie). The 2008 Black Out Game #163 against Minnesota should also have been nominated.

That was tough for me. I actually voted for the A.J. dropped third strike because to me, that was the momentum changer for that series and if it hadn't happened who knows what the outcome of the series would have been. Sox were already down 1 game, and looked flat up to that point.

Over By There
12-21-2009, 10:14 AM

Totally agree - I initially scanned the list looking for 10/26/05 but was shocked to not see it. I went with the El Duque moment.

SOXSINCE'70
12-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I voted for Sox moments all the way. Sweet!:cool:

SOXSINCE'70
12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Totally agree - I initially scanned the list looking for 10/26/05 but was shocked to not see it. I went with the El Duque moment.

I went with Konerko's grand slam and Podsednik's game ending HR.:cool:

PaleHoser
12-21-2009, 10:44 AM

My thoughts exactly. I guess they couldn't use it because they would have to rename the category "Unforgettable Moment of My Entire Life as a Sports Fan".

ChiSoxGirl
12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Things are still going extremely well; I just voted. I like how the only notable Cub moments of the decade are moments of futility from October 2003. :wink:

Rdy2PlayBall
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
These were stupid. They tried to get the Cubs more votes with "5 outs from world series" and that Bartman crap. The White Sox choices were so obvious is wasn't funny! :D:

Go WHITE SOX! :bandance:

russ99
12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
These were stupid. They tried to get the Cubs more votes with "5 outs from world series" and that Bartman crap. The White Sox choices were so obvious is wasn't funny! :D:

Go WHITE SOX! :bandance:

Hmm... I'd think Uribe's play to win the Sox the only Chicago league title of the decade (Rush excluded) would be the biggest "moment" over Wise's catch, and the Bartman incident.

Though I was tempted to vote Bartman. I still think that was the funniest thing I ever saw on TV...

russ99
12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
My thoughts exactly. I guess they couldn't use it because they would have to rename the category "Unforgettable Moment of My Entire Life as a Sports Fan".

Well, that would have to be the championship parade.

GoGoCrede
12-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Though I was tempted to vote Bartman. I still think that was the funniest thing I ever saw on TV...

It was hilarious. Even watching it years later, it never gets old. I wish I was on WSI in those days.

oeo
12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
"Mark Buehrle: No hitter, perfect game, 2-0 with save in World Series, started longest World Series game in history"

This is all wrong. 1-0 with a save, closed the longest World Series game in history.

And why not add his 4 All Star selections and Gold Glove? Even though he's already winning.

guillen4life13
12-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Voted all Sox except for player of the decade.

Brian Urlacher has Buehrle on that. For almost the whole decade, Urlacher was in the top 3 of linebackers in the NFL along with Ray Lewis and a revolving door of other LB's. He is a sure fire hall of famer.

I love Buehrle to death, but he's not on that level.

gr8mexico
12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Voted all Sox except for player of the decade.

Brian Urlacher has Buehrle on that. For almost the whole decade, Urlacher was in the top 3 of linebackers in the NFL along with Ray Lewis and a revolving door of other LB's. He is a sure fire hall of famer.

I love Buehrle to death, but he's not on that level.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ec_In-90mWzGSM:http://www.briancuban.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/t-shirt-next-on-the-banned-list-789925.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.briancuban.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/t-shirt-next-on-the-banned-list-789925.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.briancuban.com/confessions-of-a-banned-digger/&usg=__MvRU866SEaW7OQlTHxLexF4LJJk=&h=622&w=626&sz=64&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=ec_In-90mWzGSM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=136&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbanned%2Bstamp%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den% 26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_enUS311US311%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1) :tongue:

RadioheadRocks
12-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Hence why it was so hard casting that one vote. That was the first indication that "hey we're going to win this whole thing". Like I said earlier if I could split that vote four ways I would. :D:

Warriorjan
12-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I caught the Buehrle thing, too. Mark actually started the Pods walk-off game, and saved that longest game. How could they get that wrong?
The Illini game against Arizona actually makes that category a tough choice for me. I love college b-ball, and that was hands-down the most exciting end to a game I've ever attended - and I'm a Marquette grad!
I still listen to the John Rooney call of Out! Out! on my World Series pizza cutter and keychain and get shivers.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-21-2009, 09:33 PM
In the "play/game/series" category, the Sox options are getting 55% of the votes collectively. I wonder, though, if anybody considered they might "split the vote." Good thing Paulie/Pods has a pretty solid edge on Illini v. Arizona.

I too voted down the party line, but if I'm being honest, the Bartman play is truly the most unforgettable of the decade. In fact, it will remain the most unforgettable play in the history of the Cubs until the day they win a World Series championship of their own. In other words, FOREVER.

I'd also like a separate poll of those who voted for Northwestern's women's lacrosse (as stated earlier, all due respect, ladies) to see how many of them are Cubs fans who don't even know what lacrosse IS, let alone that NW has a women's team, and that they won five titles.

Woofer
12-21-2009, 11:22 PM
These were easy picks. I still can't believe we witnessed our team win the World Series.

Special mention goes to the Cubs traveshamerockery that the Bartman game was. I sat there watching in disbelief, certain that the Cubs were going to go to the World Series, and then they didn't.

twinsuck
12-21-2009, 11:24 PM
the hell????? Woman's lacrosse is winning in "team of the decade?" Are you flipping kidding me me?? Woman's lacrosse shouldn't even be considered a sport. :angry:

RadioheadRocks
12-21-2009, 11:51 PM
the hell????? Woman's lacrosse is winning in "team of the decade?" Are you flipping kidding me me?? Woman's lacrosse shouldn't even be considered a sport. :angry:

Figure who is stuffing the ballot box for that one :rolleyes:

soxinem1
12-22-2009, 01:35 AM

Couldn't figure that one out at all. :scratch::angry::scratch::angry:

JermaineDye05
12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Keep on voting.

Women's lacrosse is beating the Sox by over 1200 votes :o:

Lip Man 1
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
It's Cub fans still sick to their stomachs (but remember they don't care about the Sox...LOL) who are doing the voting.

**** 'em and the horse they road in on.

Lip

TommyJohn
12-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Keep on voting.

Women's lacrosse is beating the Sox by over 1200 votes :o:

Oh, brother. Cub fans will stuff the ballot box, then go out and say that the Sox are so ignored that a woman's lacrosse team beat them. "No one cares about the White Sox!" They do, obviously. They care a lot.

petekat
12-22-2009, 11:11 PM
There actually are college sports fans and NU alums who vote in this thing, and appreciate a great accomplishment. These voters don't go around with the huge chip on their shoulder that screams Cub conspiracy around every corner. Can we all agree to stop with the inferority complex? That's so 2004.
:gulp:
It really shows you how de-void this decade has been of Cub memories if the Cubune can't even b.s. its way into having at least equal representation for their favorite team. The Cubs' most "unforgettable" moment of the decade was also one of the biggest fiascoes in their franchise's long history of fiascoes.

Oh, and with a sincere apology to any real women's lacrosse fans, you just know that most of the people who voted for N.U.'s 5-time champions were just Cub fans voting for them out of spite.:tongue:

soxfanreggie
12-22-2009, 11:48 PM
There actually are college sports fans and NU alums who vote in this thing, and appreciate a great accomplishment. These voters don't go around with the huge chip on their shoulder that screams Cub conspiracy around every corner. Can we all agree to stop with the inferority complex? That's so 2004.

It is a great accomplishment, and we have a lot of work to do to win that poll. I would put them at a close second because they are truly a dominating team. I voted for the Sox, but it's like if North Carolina people voted for their women's soccer team as being dominating or if Ohio fans voted for Mt. Union football (10 National Championships since 1993) - they simply are that dominating.

On a side note, can you imagine a I-A coach with the following stats:

289-21-3, .929 over 23+ seasons
10 national championships—all since 1993
The all-division record for consecutive victories at 55
Winning 110 consecutive regular-season games between 1994 and 2005\
14 undefeated regular seasons
16 conference championships
Overall record in the 1990s: 120-7-1 (.941)

He would not only be making $10+ million a year, he'd have a lifetime contract.

Hitmen77
12-23-2009, 12:23 AM

Oh please, GMAB. Yeah, there are some true fans of women's lacrosse and it was a great accomplishment here, but let's get real here. Stating an obvious conclusion that most of those votes are from Cub fans doesn't mean I have a "inferiority complex" and that I "scream Cub conspiracy around every corner." Can we just face reality and admit that some of those votes are from true NU women's lacrosse fans but most are from Cub fans?

Figure who is stuffing the ballot box for that one :rolleyes:

It's Cub fans still sick to their stomachs (but remember they don't care about the Sox...LOL) who are doing the voting.

**** 'em and the horse they road in on.

Lip

Oh, brother. Cub fans will stuff the ballot box, then go out and say that the Sox are so ignored that a woman's lacrosse team beat them. "No one cares about the White Sox!" They do, obviously. They care a lot.

You guys are so 2004!

SOX ADDICT '73
12-23-2009, 12:47 AM
How much of a delusional, blue kool-aid drinking moron does someone have to be to vote for that 2003 group of Cubs chokers over Bears and Illini teams who went to a title game, a Sox team who won one, and a women's lacrosse team who won five in a row? 125 have so far!

C-Dawg
12-23-2009, 08:34 AM
The Sox winning it all in 2005 in my opinion TRUMPS ALL CATEGORIES. The Bears and Illini LOSING in their respective championship games just doesn't cut it. I mean, seriously, they won the World Series!

And just to nitpick, had I made the poll, I wouldn't have put the Illini in it at all. It is called the "Chicago" sports poll, after all.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Pete & Reggie:

With due respect to Northwestern's lacrosse team, if they are the team of the decade in a major city where college sports are just a blip on the newspaper page...I mean in reality, not with Cub fans stuffing the ballot box, than that speaks volumes about the quality of sports in Chicago in the decade.

I respect your opinion but college sports in Chicago like in most major cities in this country are a niche sport because major cities are "pro towns" as I call them.

And because of my job, I get to go to a lot of major cities through broadcasting college games. I know this for a fact.

Lip

Shoeless
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
The Sox winning it all in 2005 in my opinion TRUMPS ALL CATEGORIES. The Bears and Illini LOSING in their respective championship games just doesn't cut it. I mean, seriously, they won the World Series!

And just to nitpick, had I made the poll, I wouldn't have put the Illini in it at all. It is called the "Chicago" sports poll, after all.

Let's see, the Illinois-Arizona game was considered a home game from Illinois (Illinois is 90% in state based on enrollment), they went to the Final Four out of Chicago, the Illinois-Arizona game was IN Chicago, therefore I fail to see your logic. That was a huge event at the time.

FielderJones
12-23-2009, 12:02 PM

There is a substantial Illini alumni presence in Chicago, people who actually attended and graduated from the school (as opposed to that other school in Indiana that has a following here).

C-Dawg
12-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Let's see, the Illinois-Arizona game was considered a home game from Illinois (Illinois is 90% in state based on enrollment), they went to the Final Four out of Chicago, the Illinois-Arizona game was IN Chicago, therefore I fail to see your logic. That was a huge event at the time.

Lip said it best, in the post above yours:

I respect your opinion but college sports in Chicago like in most major cities in this country are a niche sport because major cities are "pro towns" as I call them.

soxfanreggie
12-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Pete & Reggie:

With due respect to Northwestern's lacrosse team, if they are the team of the decade in a major city where college sports are just a blip on the newspaper page...I mean in reality, not with Cub fans stuffing the ballot box, than that speaks volumes about the quality of sports in Chicago in the decade.

And because of my job, I get to go to a lot of major cities through broadcasting college games. I know this for a fact.

Lip

I still voted for the Sox, but I can understand why someone would pick the most dominating team in their sport over a team that had a couple playoff years and one title. The poll also didn't say, "Most Dominant Major Sports Team" just as the Heisman shouldn't go to the best offensive college football player for a National Title contender if it's supposed to be for the best college football player. Both teams had some tough years (Northwestern's getting back to being a varsity sport), but to say this team didn't become simply dominant would be tough:

2002 5-10
2003 8-8
2004 15-3 NCAA Quarterfinals
2005 21-0 NCAA Champions
2006 20-1 NCAA Champions
2007 21-1 NCAA Champions
2008 21-1 NCAA Champions
2009 23-0 NCAA Champions

Even if you want to say, "They didn't play a full decade since they only were brought back to being a varsity sport in 2002." you will be hard-pressed to find many teams in any sport that have had the stretch that this team has had - especially 5-straight championships. The Sox didn't even have 5 playoff appearances in the decade - an AL Central Title in 2000, the Magic of 2005, and an AL Central title in 2008.

Lip Man 1
12-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Reggie:

Again I respect your opinion but you can probably count the number of fans who actually attend one of their games by counting them during the National Anthem.

I'm not disrespecting their accomplishment... just to say that if a niche sport with limited appeal or following is the team of the decade in a major U.S. city, then there are bigger issues to be discussed, especially when in the same decade that city got their first baseball championship in over eighty years.

Lip

soxfanreggie
12-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Reggie:
especially when in the same decade that city got their first baseball championship in over eighty years.

Lip

Both arguments make sense...just depends on how much weight is given to a historical thing - first WS in a long, long time or who is actually the best team in their sport (by far) over the past decade.

MARTINMVP
12-25-2009, 02:33 AM
In the Unforgetable Moment of the Decade, the current poll has the Bartman incident at 35%, and the Wise catch at 34%. I was going to vote for one of the two, but I did vote for Bartman, just because of how symbolic it was in terms of the team's "cursed" history and long-run impact of not winning.

MARTINMVP
12-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Team of the Decade... Northwestern women's lacrosse? I don't mean to be an ass, but NO, I did NOT vote for that. No disrespect to them, but I never heard of them before so I had no clue how good they were.

And no, I don't buy that it is Cub fans voting for women's lacrosse. That is ridiculous. This is not a Cubs vs. White Sox poll, so some Cub fans can legitimately choose some of the other options. And if a Cub fan really wanted to shove it to a Sox fan, he or she would simply vote the 2003 Cub team.

Most Cub fans simply don't care about the White Sox, I believe. There are some that do and are pretty vengeful, but the Sox hate for the Cubs is deeper than any Cub hate, in my opinion.

As for team of the decade, I would only vote for a team that I know of - 2005 was a World Series year, and even though I don't believe they were the best team in baseball that year (their near collapse at the end of the second half can't be ignored), they did win a Championship this decade (and their run in the post season was awesome), as opposed to any other pro sports team on that poll.