PDA

View Full Version : The only man who pinch hit for Ted Williams looks back

Fenway
12-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Quite a career when you find out he also has a Super Bowl ring from Denver

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/12/20/his_splendid_moment/?page=full

Redus Redux
12-20-2009, 12:20 PM
What a life. Wow.

DumpJerry
12-20-2009, 01:08 PM
So, this guy pinch hit for Yaz and was traded for the eventual manager of the 1967 Red Sox. Someone is missing from this story:
:hawk
Stoney, did I ever tell you I played with Yaz? Did I ever mention my days with the 1967 Red Sox? I didn't? I must be slipping in my old age......

TommyJohn
12-20-2009, 01:29 PM
A real-life Forrest Gump indeed. Mr. Hardy has had quite an incredible life. But, like the article says, when he goes his obit headline will read "Carroll Hardy dies; only player to pinch-hit for Ted Williams"

LongLiveFisk
12-20-2009, 02:35 PM
That is really a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Fenway
12-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I loved the tidbit that the Twins were fighting about the World Series money before the final game with Boston in 67.

Craziest pennant race ever. On Wednesday afternoon Boston was dead in the water losing to back to back games at home to Siebert/ Tiant and the Indians and Chicago only had lame duck Kansas City and Washington left and looked like a lock. By Friday Chicago was out and all the Twins had to do was win one in Boston.

The footnote about that disastrous DH in KC for Chicago was it was the last 2 games the A's would play in KC and still only 5,000 showed up. It was not a lock that the Royals would come around 2 years later.

Just look at the standings after that Wednesday and it hits home just how close the White Sox were to winning the pennant.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1967/09271967.htm

Dick Williams listened to the White Sox games on his car radio in his driveway with 2 six-packs.

Jim Kaat hurts his arm on Sat and somehow Boston won the pennant.

It was the last great pure pennant race.

Fenway
12-20-2009, 05:13 PM
He even looks a little like Forrest Gump

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs114.snc3/16146_1287245736529_1091752058_904770_1750485_n.jp g

Railsplitter
12-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Amazing. Simply amazing.

downstairs
12-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I loved the tidbit that the Twins were fighting about the World Series money before the final game with Boston in 67.

Craziest pennant race ever. On Wednesday afternoon Boston was dead in the water losing to back to back games at home to Siebert/ Tiant and the Indians and Chicago only had lame duck Kansas City and Washington left and looked like a lock. By Friday Chicago was out and all the Twins had to do was win one in Boston.

The footnote about that disastrous DH in KC for Chicago was it was the last 2 games the A's would play in KC and still only 5,000 showed up. It was not a lock that the Royals would come around 2 years later.

Just look at the standings after that Wednesday and it hits home just how close the White Sox were to winning the pennant.

Dick Williams listened to the White Sox games on his car radio in his driveway with 2 six-packs.

Wow, I never realized 1967 was that close. In late August, there were FOUR teams less than 2 games out (tie, tie, 1.0, 1.5 GB)

The White Sox (and MIN/BOS/DET) were all constantly 0-3 games back the rest of the year. Talk about pressure.

wilburaga
12-21-2009, 03:08 PM

Greatest race ever. And Horlen should have won Cy Young.

W

harwar
12-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Several things in this article speak to me .. first, i remember Carroll Hardy well, as i was living in the colorado rockies during the orange crush time .. that term was everywhere and it became pretty annoying believe me .. they mention the university of colorado and thats where i met my wife .. when i was a kid i had two hero's .. Bobby Hull and Carl Yastrzemski .. that 1967 series was far and away the most exciting baseball that i have experienced and that includes 2005, mostly because in 05 i was old and too sick to really enjoy it .. but in 67 i was young and the world seemed young and i lived and died with every pitch .. Yastrzemski's diving catches in left field stirred my soul causing me to miss those days from school cuz i just plain refused to go .. i actually liked the cardinals better .. Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, and Roger Maris were like a gods to me then .. no one could hit Gibson and no one could throw out Brock, or at least thats how it seemed to me at the time .. i didn't see the aging Maris out there .. i saw a genuine hero, and i even liked Tim McCarver then .. ok, i had no idea that Ted Williams said this .. "They boo you when you mess up and they cheer you when you hit. You donít owe íem anything " .. i love that and i see that man with different eyes now .. anyway that was a magical time for me

soxfanreggie
12-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing! I do hope that the Boston Red Sox brass invites him to the game for this one.

Waysouthsider
12-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Wow, that's really something...I hadn't heard about any of this....great story!